The Bogotá Theory

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic
Nova69_7
  • Nova69_7

WEDNESDAY TIL I DIE!!!

• Members

Posted 18 March 2010 - 07:45 PM

Howdy Folks. This thread is regarding a Bogotá-based Grand Theft Auto and the possibility it may be where were headed next. All opinions are welcome!

First of all, I know there is a difference of opinion amongst you fine people over wether or not it would be a good location, that's fine. This is what this thread is about. There has been quite a bit of speculation and a few cryptic hints that have come to light recently over Bogotá and I'll point out a few of them later.

Personally, I would love a GTA based in a different location other than the three staple GTA settings and Bogotá is just as good a place as any. That is not to say I hate GTA's set in the US...far from it! However I do believe we are headed out of their borders pretty soon. Anyways, onto the hints I mentioned:

a:) Although this has been discussed several times before (I even begun a new topic about this myself recently), it states on the RockStar website the names of four cities. They are: New York, London, Paris and Bogotá. Now it is just as likely that they are the names of locations where RockStar offices are located, although I cannot find any information about a Paris or a Bogotá RockStar office on any website. This leads me to believe they are hiding in plain sight the locations of the IV-era GTA games...right on their main site! Why there? Well GTA is clearly RockStar's main bread-winner so why not? Please note this is just a theory and I'm not trying to pass this of as fact.

b:) Back when RockStar were promoting San Andreas, they registered around 10 website domains so the games location would not be revealed until they were ready to reveal it themselves. Among them were GTA: Sin City, GTA:5, GTA:Tokyo and of course, GTA:Bogotá.

c:) RockStar, and the Housers in-particular have indicated to us in the past that the series may be moving out of the US in future. I know that may mean we could be headed absolutely anywehere but Bogotá is just as likely a place as any.

d:) Be one Giant Ostrich today, always. Now I apologize in advance about this one as I cannot find any information about the significance of this. However if memory serves me right it was a response to a particular question from that man deepthroatgta4 when he was giving clues about GTAIV. For those that don't see what I mean: have a look at the acronym (the first letter of each word) and see what it spells. As soon as I can find where I have seen this (or if anyone else would be kind enough to post a link or something) then this will make a lot more sense! However my point is that this was debated seriously when it was originally posted and warrants a mention here.

So lads and lasses, there you have it. There are more hints pointing to Bogotá but those are the ones off the top of my head. In addition to these, The Acronym of the last GTA release 'The Ballad of Gay Tony' almost spells Bogotá also! However I don't find that solid enough to include on my list and is just a funny thing I noticed! So...what do you all think? Would Bogotá be good? Would you enjoy it? Would you prefer somewhere else?

Please keep it civil. Like I said I know opinion is very much divided but that is the whole point of this thread!

Thanks and LONG LIVE GTA!!!

AnthMUFC-Champs
  • AnthMUFC-Champs

MUFC-CHAMPS

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 18 March 2010 - 07:51 PM

Sorry mate already a topic on this i made a few weeks ago.

SammiiDoogles
  • SammiiDoogles

Where is my mind?

• Members

Posted 18 March 2010 - 08:04 PM

Just to say; I bought a new PS2 a short time ago, and having sold all my GTA's in the past; I bought the Trilogy box set. I was listening to VCPR Pressing Issues, and Maurice was talking to that "motivate" guy (the one with the insane woman with the dead parents, the motivate video guy and the depressed goth)
The man Maurice was speaking to was talking about his property in Bogota.

I don't remember it all properly as I wasn't properly litening until I heard Bogota.

The game came out so long ago though that I don't think they would have planned ahead, all these instances make it seem as though Bogota is just a city R* like to reference in their games...

bashfulbarry
  • bashfulbarry

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 March 2010 - 08:09 PM

nah it's not bogata anymore that city is way too small in my opinion....

Kwandilibro
  • Kwandilibro

Be eye itch.

• Members

Posted 18 March 2010 - 08:21 PM

One question for u. What ELSE could you do in bogota BESIDES selling and traffiking? Distributing?

Nova69_7
  • Nova69_7

WEDNESDAY TIL I DIE!!!

• Members

Posted 18 March 2010 - 08:32 PM

Yeah I saw that topic AnthMUFC...I even posted in it! Lol! What I was doing was rounding up all the evidence and stuff that was buzzing round etc.

@ Kwandilibro: I suppose you could do ANYTHING RockStar decide to put in the game. It would only be based on the city it doesn't have to be a carbon copy does it? In the mid 90's it was considered to be one of the most violent cities in the world. According to Wikipedia, there were over 4,500 intentional homicides in 1993 alone. There's a pretty wide scope for crime in a Bogotá-based game dude.

AnthMUFC-Champs
  • AnthMUFC-Champs

MUFC-CHAMPS

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 18 March 2010 - 08:34 PM

Thats fine and yes Bogota would be cool.

All Nightmare Long
  • All Nightmare Long

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 18 March 2010 - 08:36 PM

I think it would be very similar to Just Cause which will make me mad because Just Cause sucked.

Not Volt Krueger
  • Not Volt Krueger

Prankster

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 March 2010 - 10:42 PM

Yeah some "cryptic" hints. About as cryptic as a crossword puzzle on the back of a cheerios box.

Nova69_7
  • Nova69_7

WEDNESDAY TIL I DIE!!!

• Members

Posted 18 March 2010 - 10:47 PM Edited by Nova69_7, 18 March 2010 - 10:55 PM.

QUOTE (Not Volt Krueger @ Mar 18 2010, 22:42)
Yeah some "cryptic" hints. About as cryptic as a crossword puzzle on the back of a cheerios box.

Yeah I know I said 'all opinions welcome' but if you are just gonna be a pr1ck then you can Jog the F**k on.

By cryptic I specifically meant the 'Be one Giant Ostrich today, Always' line which has been debated a few times. If it is a clue then it's a cryptic one.

All Nightmare Long
  • All Nightmare Long

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 18 March 2010 - 11:49 PM

QUOTE (Not Volt Krueger @ Mar 18 2010, 22:42)

Cheerios don't have crossword puzzles on the back, its just pointless health information. So...Yea.

SmC12
  • SmC12

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 18 March 2010 - 11:59 PM

I don't know much about Bogota, but i think if GTA V was set there it would be pretty cool. In my opinion i think if R* choose Bogota then they would do some surrounding cities etc. which means it wouldn't be that small (Bogota alone is probbably about the same size as LC, and there were no major complaints about that. And about what you would do there, well that's easy, the same thing we do in every GTA game, kill people get money steal cars...you know what i'm talking about. I would preferrably want to see VC redone and then Bogota (or Both at the same time) but if we do get Bogota next then i'll still buy it because R* are pros at GTA and even a place like Bogota will be amazing when R* are finished with it. I think it would have potential to be a really good game. Give Bogota a chance. You never know, it could be the best GTA you ever play! But wherever the GTA series takes us, it will still be the GTA we love no matter where it's set. biggrin.gif

Kwandilibro
  • Kwandilibro

Be eye itch.

• Members

Posted 19 March 2010 - 12:01 AM

QUOTE (Nova69_7 @ Mar 18 2010, 16:32)
Yeah I saw that topic AnthMUFC...I even posted in it! Lol! What I was doing was rounding up all the evidence and stuff that was buzzing round etc.

@ Kwandilibro: I suppose you could do ANYTHING RockStar decide to put in the game. It would only be based on the city it doesn't have to be a carbon copy does it? In the mid 90's it was considered to be one of the most violent cities in the world. According to Wikipedia, there were over 4,500 intentional homicides in 1993 alone. There's a pretty wide scope for crime in a Bogotá-based game dude.

well i mean if they wanted to base it off bogota, u gotta have a storyline revolving completely around drugs and cartels, cuz thats what the city's known for. anything else would just be lies

Conal123
  • Conal123

The Irish Brigade

• Members

Posted 19 March 2010 - 12:15 AM

I wouldn't mind a gta set in Bogota but my main hope is one set in San Andreas.

Nova69_7
  • Nova69_7

WEDNESDAY TIL I DIE!!!

• Members

Posted 19 March 2010 - 01:02 AM

@ Kwandilibro: Yeah bud I see your point that Bogotá is specifically known for the drugs trade, and the main worry for a GTA set there would be that it's all about that and nothing else. The storyline would have to be stong I agree if it was set there but I am sure that RockStar would pull it off and it be the same GTA we all know and love.

@ SmC12: We would just have to trust that RockStar would make a GTA in the same vein as they always have done. Gripping storyline, great gameplay, interesting characters. I would like to think they would be able to do so even if it was in a fresh setting. Like you say, give it a chance...and I'm sure it would be great.

As I have said before, it needn't necessarily be a purely Bogotá-based GTA. They could quite easily incorporate Bogotá into their next game, be it a new incarnation of Vice or something else as a multi-city GTA. Personally I think that would please everyone as it would combine a familiar setting with a new one and perhaps it is something worth considering.

Kwandilibro
  • Kwandilibro

Be eye itch.

• Members

Posted 19 March 2010 - 01:40 AM

then theres the language problem, but there cold be subtitles. which would suck

SmC12
  • SmC12

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 19 March 2010 - 04:36 PM

QUOTE (Kwandilibro @ Mar 19 2010, 01:40)
then theres the language problem, but there cold be subtitles. which would suck

Or they could still speak English in-game but they would just be a little harder to make out. (like Little Jacob only a little clearer to understand) I'm sure people in Bogota would know how to speak basic English anyway.

Lazy Squirrel PT
  • Lazy Squirrel PT

This sh*t is bananas!

• Members

Posted 19 March 2010 - 05:42 PM

Sorry but I'll eat my hat if it's Bogota. GTA is a game that has to appeal to millions of people, and even if somehow they did manage to make a game revolving around drug cartels with a decent story, lots of people would be disappointed. We're pretty much all hardcore fans and would still play it, but R* would lose a lot of buyers. So they have to make it in a city most people will recognise. Is it cooler to cause chaos in Manhattan or in some South American favela? I think it's obvious what people like, and they have to go along with it. They need to make money after all.

Bogota is probably just an in-joke. And deepthroat was probably just guessing based on what everyone is thinking right now. That's just my opinion though, but I hope I'm not wrong.

Btw I just remembered, R* are also making Max Payne 3, which is set in South America (Brazil I think). Anyway I don't think they would make another game in what is basically the same place, but that's just me.

R* Rocks
  • R* Rocks

I'm a Skate8!

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 March 2010 - 04:37 AM

Sorry but i'm going to lock this topic, not a good look eh? this is being locked.

R* Rocks
  • R* Rocks

I'm a Skate8!

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 March 2010 - 04:40 AM

AND I think that Nova69_7 might be, novaY, Yovan, Yovan3 and Yovan2, I might check his file details since I'm gonna be a mod, AND block him, Nova69_7 YOU ARE BEING BANNED, WE DO NOT ALLOW PRICKS ON THIS WEBSITE f*ck YA.

Mainland Marauder
  • Mainland Marauder

Oldschooled

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 20 March 2010 - 04:52 AM

QUOTE (R* Rocks @ Mar 19 2010, 22:40)
AND I think that Nova69_7 might be, novaY, Yovan, Yovan3 and Yovan2, I might check his file details since I'm gonna be a mod, AND block him, Nova69_7 YOU ARE BEING BANNED, WE DO NOT ALLOW PRICKS ON THIS WEBSITE f*ck YA.

rofflemayo

Anyway, yeah, we don't need two Bogota topics.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users