Photo

GTA IV, PC switches off after 5mins of gameplay

20 replies to this topic
LifeOfRyan
  • LifeOfRyan

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 March 2010 - 06:58 PM

Ok so i installed GTA along with 1.0.4.0 patch, played for 5 minutes which by the way seemed to work fine whilst it lasted and then the laptop just turnt itself off, no usual shutdown procedure or anything just bam off no power. hmm strange?? Anyway i decided to change all the graphics settings in the game to as low as possible as i thought maybe my specs could be the problem (shown below) but this didnt do the trick either. I then went into performance options and changed the option from "Let Windows Decide whats best" to "Best Performance" as im running 7 and the aero features sidebar etc do tend to hog up resources. I then downloaded an application called Game Booster that closes down unnecesary background programs, this gained me an extra 120mb of ram. But none of these attempts have fixed the problem.

Specs

Acer Aspire 7530G
3GB RAM
Nvidia Geforce 9100M G 9600M GS SLI 512mb Graphics
AMD Turion 64 X2 Dual-Core 2.20GHz
Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit

Any help or suggestions will be much appreciated. Thanks , Ryan

Azazel
  • Azazel

• None
  • Topic of the Year 2012 "GTA V Vehicle Database"
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 17 March 2010 - 07:02 PM

I'll move this to PC Performance Tips. I'm sure someone in there will be able to tell you how awful your specs are, in colourful phrases. tounge.gif

LifeOfRyan
  • LifeOfRyan

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 March 2010 - 07:07 PM

point taken but do u mind justifying that with some fact? its fine having an opinion but id like to know the reason why

ikt
  • ikt

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 March 2010 - 07:10 PM Edited by ikt, 17 March 2010 - 07:15 PM.

Azazel moved this thread because it was in a wrong section, probably. Also, you'll get more troubleshooting here than in other forums. And he meant he would let people with more knowledge @ hardware judge your system with a funny remark. Isn't bothering me.

QUOTE (LifeOfRyan @ Mar 17 2010, 19:58)
Ok so i installed GTA along with 1.0.4.0 patch, played for 5 minutes which by the way seemed to work fine whilst it lasted and then the laptop just turnt itself off, no usual shutdown procedure or anything just bam off no power. hmm strange?? Anyway i decided to change all the graphics settings in the game to as low as possible as i thought maybe my specs could be the problem (shown below) but this didnt do the trick either. I then went into performance options and changed the option from "Let Windows Decide whats best" to "Best Performance" as im running 7 and the aero features sidebar etc do tend to hog up resources. I then downloaded an application called Game Booster that closes down unnecesary background programs, this gained me an extra 120mb of ram. But none of these attempts have fixed the problem.

Specs

Acer Aspire 7530G
3GB RAM
Nvidia Geforce 9100M G 9600M GS SLI 512mb Graphics
AMD Turion 64 X2 Dual-Core 2.20GHz
Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit

Any help or suggestions will be much appreciated. Thanks , Ryan

Well, to be honest, nothing should be wrong really.. You have a decent GPU, decent amount of RAM, good GPU (9600GS SLI), in a LAPTOP. Lol. You're using Windows 7, so that should be okay. And you have 4GB RAM total, shouldn't be a problem even if you had a 32 bit OS.

But then again, it's a laptop. Have you tried messing with the power plans? It's possible GTA IV asks too much of your laptop and it decides to shut down. Try playing while plugged in/charging. And it could also be your laptop being too hot because of a lot of dust inside, check that too.

LifeOfRyan
  • LifeOfRyan

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 March 2010 - 07:18 PM

Thanks for the reply, the laptop generally always stays plugged in, the power plan at the moment is set to high performance, and as for heat there is warm air coming out from the fan vent but nothing that seems to be excessive, also i started gta up right from after booting into 7, so correct me if im wrong cause this is just a calculated guess but i dont think that would be enough time for the laptop to become excessively hot? also the laptop is fairly new so i doubt there will be much dust but i will open it up and check, thanks mate for your suggestions

viometrix
  • viometrix

Mildly Aggravating

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 March 2010 - 02:01 PM

though the laptop may not seem to be excessively hot, ive seen them shut down like that when one component gets too hot too fast. i think the culprit may be your gpu heating up faster than it was designed. if your laptops bios has options for heat management, turn the heat sensors up to the next level and see what happens.

nfshp253
  • nfshp253

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 18 March 2010 - 02:19 PM

Maybe it's because the power brick doesn't have enough power to supply to the CPU and GPU, which are totally stressed out. That will cause the Power Brick to trip, as there is too much power pull. A sudden loss of power might have caused the shutdown of the laptop.

viometrix
  • viometrix

Mildly Aggravating

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 March 2010 - 03:55 PM

QUOTE (nfshp253 @ Mar 18 2010, 14:19)
Maybe it's because the power brick doesn't have enough power to supply to the CPU and GPU, which are totally stressed out. That will cause the Power Brick to trip, as there is too much power pull. A sudden loss of power might have caused the shutdown of the laptop.

this too is a possibility

LCstuntman
  • LCstuntman

It's a wonderful horrible life.

• Members

Posted 18 March 2010 - 09:55 PM Edited by LCstuntman, 18 March 2010 - 09:57 PM.

I think it's a heat problem or a power supply problem. What wattage is your power supply?

We need to know your temperature your CPU reaches while playing GTA IV to find out if it's a temperature problem or not. So, use a program that records temperatures, like HWmonitor, to run while you play GTA IV for longest time possible. Then, exit GTA and check the max temp it reached.

Pago
  • Pago

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 March 2010 - 07:46 AM

Most likely a heat problem. Have you tried it with one of those laptop cooling mats that you put underneath it? They don't cost that much and it's worth a try.

WTFX
  • WTFX

Trick

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 March 2010 - 02:00 PM

probably heat, yes. i've noticed IV can heat my lappie's gpu up to 85 degrees C while it usually doesn't even reach 80 C on other games.
for my gfx the temps are fine tho and i haven't gotten hangs. the card is even oc'd. anyway, yes, try playing it for 4 mins (since it crashes in 5 mins, lol?) and look at ur temps in GPU-Z for example (leave it running before starting the game).
but ofc, don't shut down the game, just alt-tab out fast and check the current gpu temp (or set it to show the max). if it's over nineties, it might be overheating protection.

(u can also use rivatuner HW monitoring, log to file and check the log after the crash/restart)

if this is the prob, u can try raising ur gpu fan speeds either with bios mod or gputool for ex. (won't work for all cards)

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

I know you've been complaining, but you weren't ready.

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal
  • Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 19 March 2010 - 02:08 PM

I'll say overheating. I had a laptop that did exactly the same thing, most laptops when they reach around 105C in GFX card temperature, they turn off automatically.

LifeOfRyan
  • LifeOfRyan

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 28 March 2010 - 02:34 PM

ok i installed gta on a fresh install of windows and after running GPU-Z it seems your right, the GPU temp is hitting 96.0C and GPU load is reaching 97% before switching off any suggestions on keeping these figures low?

WTFX
  • WTFX

Trick

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 March 2010 - 03:58 PM

QUOTE (LifeOfRyan @ Mar 28 2010, 14:34)
ok i installed gta on a fresh install of windows and after running GPU-Z it seems your right, the GPU temp is hitting 96.0C and GPU load is reaching 97% before switching off any suggestions on keeping these figures low?

if ur card is oc'd, downclock it.
if not, try increasing ur fan speeds using gputool (1st google result) so they kick to 100% at around 80 or so degrees and see if it helps.
if it does u can later edit ur gfx card bios and flash it, but might be risky on laptop.

LifeOfRyan
  • LifeOfRyan

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 28 March 2010 - 05:35 PM

i ran GPU tool and it states that my fans are already running at 100% to keep it at a temp of 59C during general use i.e. browsing this forum, messenger and wmp in background

WTFX
  • WTFX

Trick

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 March 2010 - 05:42 PM

QUOTE (LifeOfRyan @ Mar 28 2010, 17:35)
i ran GPU tool and it states that my fans are already running at 100% to keep it at a temp of 59C during general use i.e. browsing this forum, messenger and wmp in background

but it might not report the fan speeds correctly. at least most laptops shouldn't have fans running 100% all the time.

did u try adjusting the fan speeds via fan control? i'd recommend hardware -> transfer func. and setting the higher limit at lower temp.

however it might not work with all cards.

LifeOfRyan
  • LifeOfRyan

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 28 March 2010 - 06:25 PM

how do i set the higher limit to a lower temp i cant seem to find the option

jamjam1000
  • jamjam1000

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 29 March 2010 - 06:10 AM Edited by jamjam1000, 29 March 2010 - 06:16 AM.

hey, try downloading a program (free) called everest home. It taps into your computer's sensors and can give you a rough gauge on the cpu and gpu temperatures. Generally, around 80 degrees © for CPU and 75 degrees © for GPU is considered too hot. You can also adjust fan speed to speed them up when playing GTA.

It may sound funny, but you could try getting a desk fan and putting it right next to the laptops air intake. If GTA 4 lasts longer than usual with a desk fan than without one, then you can be sure its a temperature problem.

WTFX
  • WTFX

Trick

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 March 2010 - 10:38 AM

QUOTE (LifeOfRyan @ Mar 28 2010, 18:25)
how do i set the higher limit to a lower temp i cant seem to find the option

after ticking 'hardware' in the 'fan control' tab.. well just think of the graph as a coordinate plane..
you need to move the higher point to the left on x-axis to say at around 80 C and move it all way up on the y-axis so it's 100% at 80 C.
all the speeds will increase, even at lower temps 'cos it's transfer function.. :] good luck

heat84
  • heat84

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 31 March 2010 - 06:19 AM

I had this same problem with my desktop PC and it was caused by my new GPU(see signature) overloading my 450W PSU. Sometimes I would also get BSOD's. I upgraded to a 650W PSU and now everything works fine. I guess it doesn't apply to laptops. Just thought I'd mention it though.

1000pia
  • 1000pia

year 5

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:59 AM

l just used the search before creating a new thread 

l'm having the same problem and l haven't played gta since then

first l thought my power supply had some issue

but a few moments later my laptop turn on normally

l can run nfs world at max but gta iv got this problem

(check my system specs at my signature)