Photo

Boardwalk Empire

529 replies to this topic
sonnyBlack
  • sonnyBlack

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 December 2011 - 06:01 AM

To be honest I wasn't expecting Jimmy to get killed off so soon in the series, I'm a little disappointed because I was hoping he'd be able to at least avenge his wife's death first. Season 3 should be very interesting though, curious to see how this will effect the story.

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:24 AM

That was pretty excellent. It's funny reading the comments on facebook, what with most of the fans being super pissed off that a main character would die. The way I see it, that was the only way it could end. I'm glad HBO actually had the balls to pull off something like that. Now I'm interested to see what will happen to Harrow, maybe he'll finally go home as in commit his suicide? Can't wait for next season!

Carbine23
  • Carbine23

Work Hard & Say It's Easy

• Members

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:29 AM

Well here are my thoughts. major spoilers

Definitely not a mistake to kill off Jimmy, and i AM a huge fan of Jimmy in the first place. He did deserve it and you could see his life was starting to mess up. I had a lot of sympathy though for him because a lot of his problems weren't his fault. I thought the flashback of him in WW1 was extremely powerful and showed that it was the last thing that went through his mind especially when he said "I died back in the trenches." Nucky won't get away from this so easily because i can see that he will regret this down the road and will eventually lead to him being imprisoned. Nucky will probably start to be haunted by flashbacks.

It's funny though in the first season i support Nucky, the second season it was mixed and now i feel like the third season i will deffinitely not be a fan of him. Everyone hated Van Alden in the first season but i've grown more sympathetic of him. We shall see what happens in the future. HBO knows how to make a good show. Even though the second season wasn't nearly as good and enticing as the first, it was still excellent. I mean....if you think about it, every season is basically a continuation of the story, as if it didn't stop in the first place. No need to dread on some moments or decisions that the second season made.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

True Gentleman

• Members
  • Jamaica

Posted 12 December 2011 - 01:35 PM

Holy sh*t! Are you f*ckin' kiddin' me? They actually had the balls to kill off Jimmy?
This is why HBO has the best shows. I mean, Jimmy was like a protagonist, equal to Nucky, and I liked him a lot more than Nucky. But you can't have 2 protagonists in one show. It had to end for one of them. And killing off the more likable guy, even though it kinda pisses me off, felt natural. It was the only way it could happen. It's a great way to end the season.

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:08 PM

If anyone else paid attention to your history classes, van Alden moving to Cicero is quite a sign since it was one of the places Al Capone lived in while running from the police and commanding his empire. I'd guess we'll see more focus on Capone and Luciano in the next season, which can only be excellent!

Rucke
  • Rucke

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:53 PM

WHAT THE f*ck?

Was killing Jimmy really that smart? I think he was the character people could relate most to.

I mean he had the best story arc out of all the other characters, even Nucky. I feel there is so much more they could've done with his him.

I should've realized when they killed off his wife Sigh...

Iminicus
  • Iminicus

Something witty, something sh*tty

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Pitcairn-Islands

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:06 AM

I probably won't stick around for season 3. Darmody was the only character I liked. Liked him since season 1. Of course, if they stop focusing on Margaret and focus on Capone, I might stay with it.

Am I pissed Darmody died? f*ck yes, but I knew Nucky couldn't die since the show is about him. But really, f*cking kill Margaret.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

True Gentleman

• Members
  • Jamaica

Posted 13 December 2011 - 12:15 PM

QUOTE (Iminicus @ Tuesday, Dec 13 2011, 11:06)
But really, f*cking kill Margaret.

This. 100 times this. She pisses me off so much. And her f*ckin' accent only makes things worse. Why does she have so much screen time?

Rucke
  • Rucke

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 13 December 2011 - 06:05 PM

I think we have to put our faiths in Van Alden, Richard, Chalky, Capone and Luciano. The only awesome characters left on the show.

By the way, did anyone noticed the Sopranos reference in this episode? How Nucky "orders up murders like you and me orders up coffee" They said the exact same thing at Junior Soprano's trial in season 4.

meta187
  • meta187

Challenge Convention, Question Authority.

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Gaming] 2013
    Best Member in a Group 2010

Posted 18 December 2011 - 10:00 PM

QUOTE (meta187 @ Wednesday, Dec 7 2011, 14:56)
Motherf*ckin' Jimmy.

Have to say, things could not be any more sh*t for him than they've already been this season.

Guess I was more right then I knew when I typed that. confused.gif

Killing off a very likable protagonist early on is certainly a tough call but I guess they opened the floodgates with Game of Thrones. It made sense in relation to the story and certainly played out in the most dramatic way possible. I do worry over Harrow's fate now as a result, I feel badly for him and Jimmy's son being left with no one but Mommy Dearest to raise him.

As for good characters that are left for next season. I'm a big fan of the creepy/cool guy playing Arnold Rothstein. I'd like to see more play out with him before he meets his historical end.

Margaret can eat a dick, she just seems largely ungrateful and resentful. She also really pissed me off with that jack move on the land deed. She's turning out to be way more of a stick in the mud than Carmela Soprano ever was.

Iminicus
  • Iminicus

Something witty, something sh*tty

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Pitcairn-Islands

Posted 19 December 2011 - 07:40 AM

QUOTE (meta187 @ Sunday, Dec 18 2011, 14:00)
QUOTE (meta187 @ Wednesday, Dec 7 2011, 14:56)
Motherf*ckin' Jimmy.

Have to say, things could not be any more sh*t for him than they've already been this season.

Guess I was more right then I knew when I typed that. confused.gif

Killing off a very likable protagonist early on is certainly a tough call but I guess they opened the floodgates with Game of Thrones. It made sense in relation to the story and certainly played out in the most dramatic way possible. I do worry over Harrow's fate now as a result, I feel badly for him and Jimmy's son being left with no one but Mommy Dearest to raise him.

As for good characters that are left for next season. I'm a big fan of the creepy/cool guy playing Arnold Rothstein. I'd like to see more play out with him before he meets his historical end.

Margaret can eat a dick, she just seems largely ungrateful and resentful. She also really pissed me off with that jack move on the land deed. She's turning out to be way more of a stick in the mud than Carmela Soprano ever was.

Carmela was good when she was good and terrible when she was written terribly. Margaret is just f*cking terrible. It isn't the actress either. Just how she is written. Of course, she'll f*cking survive the whole goddamn show.

Lochie
  • Lochie

darkness washed over the dude

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 19 December 2011 - 07:53 AM

I honestly have no idea where they can go with season 3 after that ending.

Wrong Kind
  • Wrong Kind

Louis van Gaal's red and white army!

• Members
  • British-Antarctic-Territory
  • Most Knowledgeable [Sports] 2013

Posted 26 December 2011 - 01:20 AM

I think it was pretty awesome that killed off Jimmy. I could see it coming near the end of season,yes Jimmy was a good main character but I'm sort of glad HBO had the balls to kill off a main character. It was coming...

I'm starting to think Richard will commit suicide or go after Nucky for killing Jimmy. Personally I think that would be awesome!

MHH
  • MHH

Consulente Infinito

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 26 December 2011 - 06:36 AM

Looking through the posts her am I the only one to notice or maybe just to type it out that in one of Jimmy's flashbacks he had sex with his (relatively close in age to him) mother. The following day he wakes with regret and joins the army. Not really important to the story arch true, but it does explain the unusual relationship those two had for sure.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

True Gentleman

• Members
  • Jamaica

Posted 26 December 2011 - 08:26 AM

QUOTE (Master Headhunter @ Monday, Dec 26 2011, 08:36)
Looking through the posts her am I the only one to notice or maybe just to type it out that in one of Jimmy's flashbacks he had sex with his (relatively close in age to him) mother. The following day he wakes with regret and joins the army. Not really important to the story arch true, but it does explain the unusual relationship those two had for sure.

We all noticed.

Andyzoot
  • Andyzoot

Player Hater

• Hustle Bones
  • None

Posted 26 December 2011 - 09:41 AM

QUOTE (GTAvanja @ Monday, Dec 26 2011, 09:26)
QUOTE (Master Headhunter @ Monday, Dec 26 2011, 08:36)
Looking through the posts her am I the only one to notice or maybe just to type it out that in one of Jimmy's flashbacks he had sex with his (relatively close in age to him) mother. The following day he wakes with regret and joins the army.  Not really important to the story arch true, but it does explain the unusual relationship those two had for sure.

We all noticed.

I didn't notice, I thought they played scrabble all night or told ghost stories to each other.

A ballsy move to kill of Jimmy. I hope next season has more Rothstein, Luciano, Capone and Lansky and less Margaret and Eli.

Don Garcia
  • Don Garcia

Dolls Kill

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 26 December 2011 - 05:08 PM

There was an interview from Entertainment Weekly from writer/producer Terence Winter, here.

They plan to introduce a young, James Cagney-type character next season to "replace" Jimmy so to speak. No one's filling that void for me, sorry. And we will continue to see Richard Harrow, thank God.

While my mouth was still ajar, I got a little emotional during that perfectly placed war flashback. "I died in the trenches, years back." Goddamn you Terence Winter!

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Boards Of Canada

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:49 PM Edited by ThePinkFloydSound, 28 February 2012 - 03:58 PM.

Aw man. Season 1 was enjoyable but a little slow but I expect that from HBO series. It's all about introducing characters and developing them. Season 2 though is just amazing, it's really come to life.

EDIT: Wow, scrolling up the page and seen a spoiler about Jimmy. My fault I guess. Spoilers aren't uswed much around here.

vertical limit
  • vertical limit

When in doubt don't pull out.

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 April 2012 - 03:32 AM

Pink, same here man.

Slow connection spoiled the second season. I just finished S1 recentley.

Oh well. sh*t happens.

Wrong Kind
  • Wrong Kind

• Members

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:56 AM

A 27 second teaser and I'm already f*cking hyped!

SIKKS66
  • SIKKS66

The Number of the Beast

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:34 PM

Oh wow I forgot I started this thread. Just finally started watching season 2. Unfortunately the guy who plays Axl in The Middle spoiled a certain death for me on his twitter at the time it happened which is why I was put off watching it for so long suicidal.gif

vertical limit
  • vertical limit

When in doubt don't pull out.

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:52 PM

QUOTE (Tommy. @ Wednesday, Apr 11 2012, 08:56)

Tommy, you watch Boardwalk Empire?
The link is broken btw.

HBO made some really good sh*t.

Season 2 here I come.

Waddy
  • Waddy

Gods foster son.

• None

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:54 PM

Series 3 is out some time this year in the UK, wish it was now sad.gif

Fnorg
  • Fnorg

OG

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:18 PM

QUOTE (SIKKS66 @ Wednesday, Apr 11 2012, 13:34)
Oh wow I forgot I started this thread. Just finally started watching season 2. Unfortunately the guy who plays Axl in The Middle spoiled a certain death for me on his twitter at the time it happened which is why I was put off watching it for so long suicidal.gif

Hah, that ain't sh*t. His death is like the littlest thing of his character arc.

Wrong Kind
  • Wrong Kind

• Members

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:00 PM

QUOTE (vertical limit @ Wednesday, Apr 11 2012, 13:52)
QUOTE (Tommy. @ Wednesday, Apr 11 2012, 08:56)

Tommy, you watch Boardwalk Empire?
The link is broken btw.

HBO made some really good sh*t.

Season 2 here I come.

Yeah I've been watching it from the start.

I can't wait to see how season 3 pans out. It's going to be sweet!

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Scuse me, while I kiss this guy.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Movies & TV] 2013

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:31 AM

That girl had a crazy bad period.

Scarface187
  • Scarface187

Putting out the fire with gasoline.

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:40 AM

My favorite character kills my other favorite character. Ain't that a bitch but definitely a crazy way to kick off the season.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Scuse me, while I kiss this guy.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Movies & TV] 2013

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:58 AM

QUOTE (Scarface187 @ Sunday, Sep 16 2012, 19:40)
My favorite character kills my other favorite character. Ain't that a bitch but definitely a crazy way to kick off the season.

When that door opened, and Harrow was on the other side, I couldn't help but smile. Manny was awesome, but I couldn't forgive him for killing Jimmy's wife. That was just f'd up.

Gyp's gonna kill Nucky for pinching his cheek.

Carbine23
  • Carbine23

Work Hard & Say It's Easy

• Members

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:04 AM

This season's just going to be brutal.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"Not Santa's balls!"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:32 AM

this was such a bad ass episode on many levels.

perfect way to kick off the season. beautiful.
Harrow is a f*ckin bad ass, my hero. seriously that guy has been my favorite character since he was introduced. well, him and Van Alden.

and wow!
Van Alden! he's back baby. I mean he was sort of breaking down there for awhile. lost the wife, lost the job, ran off with the nanny and his whore lovechild. he's just dicking around Chicago selling irons and trying to make some money while he sorts his sh*t out, and suddenly he runs into the Chicago mob outfit just in time to save some guys ass from getting iced by Capone.

awesome. so awesome.
there's so many ways they can go with this. Van Alden is obviously going to become frustrated with the mundane bullsh*t of door-to-door salesman, he's going to go back and take that guy up on his offer of making some real money. he was a prohibition agent who now has the opportunity to go deep cover on his own, going rogue, or completely turn his back on his beliefs and get swept up in the criminal world.

oh man.
I can't wait for more.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users