Photo

Boardwalk Empire

463 replies to this topic
Scarface187
  • Scarface187

Putting out the fire with gasoline.

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 25 October 2010 - 05:23 AM

Gotta say that was probably the best episode so far in my opinion. Lots of stuff happening and it looks like next week will be even better.

meta187
  • meta187

Challenge Convention, Question Authority.

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 25 October 2010 - 11:47 AM

Yea, that 5th episode had something for everyone.

Violence, revenge, sex, uncomfortable feminine hygene and a few snazzy lines to boot.

"That maybe your c*nty isn't the draw you think it is." biggrin.gif

That prohibition agent is still a seriously creepy f*ck.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Boob groper

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 25 October 2010 - 01:38 PM

QUOTE (meta187 @ Oct 25 2010, 13:47)

There is something seriously wrong about that dude. I loved the episode. Revenge was awesome. I'm really starting to like Jimmy as a character.

Don Garcia
  • Don Garcia

Dolls Kill

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 30 October 2010 - 08:43 PM

QUOTE (meta187 @ Oct 25 2010, 11:47)

Was that sexual, he was looking at her picture... Or is he just is some self-disciplining psychotic?

P.S. I want Jimmy's knife. And Capone is a hater.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Boob groper

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 30 October 2010 - 09:48 PM

QUOTE (Don Garcia @ Oct 30 2010, 22:43)
QUOTE (meta187 @ Oct 25 2010, 11:47)

Was that sexual, he was looking at her picture... Or is he just is some self-disciplining psychotic?

P.S. I want Jimmy's knife. And Capone is a hater.

Maybe he was punishing himself for something. Probably related to the girl in the picture.

meta187
  • meta187

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 31 October 2010 - 05:30 PM

He was punishing himself for lusting after her as he's apparently some sort of religious nut.

Fnorg
  • Fnorg

OG

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 31 October 2010 - 06:27 PM

As much as I enjoy Van Alden's weird, creepy antics (who didn't enjoy him squeezing the intestines of a fat man?) I can't help but to feel that he's too... Comic-booky. Quoting scripture, beating himself, acting like a goddamn crusader... Jesus. I'm trying so hard to suspend my disbelief, but he just gets zanier and zanier with each passing episode.

Van Alden is def my least favorite part of the show.

Scarface187
  • Scarface187

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 02 November 2010 - 04:12 AM

This scene has already cemented this guy as a new favorite character of mine. I hope he's around for awhile.

Fnorg
  • Fnorg

OG

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 02 November 2010 - 10:33 PM

He's interesting, that's for certain, but I can't see him hanging around for too long. He'll probably become irksome and Jimmy'll have to off him. Or Capone. Speaking of Jimmy, how could he have seen three years of combat in WWI when America entered in 1917 and the war ended a bit more than a year after that? Occupational duties, sure, but he keeps saying "I was in the war for three years". That can't be a technical oversight, so what's the story behind that?

Don Garcia
  • Don Garcia

Dolls Kill

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 03 November 2010 - 01:15 AM

Ah dude, I f*cking loved that episode and love Phantom of the Opera. That son of a bitch makes an amazing henchman.

user posted image

So awesome.

meta187
  • meta187

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 03 November 2010 - 05:36 AM Edited by meta187, 03 November 2010 - 08:42 PM.

I really enjoyed the episode and Jimmy's new sniper friend kinda stole the show but do you think they kinda pushed the gimmick envelope a bit by cueing up the Phantom of the Opera music after Harrow took his shot from the window? Part of me just wants to go with it. sigh.gif

They're introducing Myer Lansky into the storyline was a pretty cool highlight as well if you're pretty savvy on your organized crime history he ended up being a pretty big player in the years to follow. The actor's a dead ringer for the guy as well.

Scarface187
  • Scarface187

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 03 November 2010 - 02:28 PM

The music was the icing on the awesome cake even if it was pretty gimmicky. It still fit well I thought.

Sauron
  • Sauron

chillin' like a mega villain

• The Precinct

Posted 06 November 2010 - 07:06 AM

QUOTE (meta187 @ Nov 3 2010, 16:36)
I really enjoyed the episode and Jimmy's new sniper friend kinda stole the show.

Absolutely. He was fantastic. Really loving Chalky White's character as well. Hopefully he becomes a little more prominent later in the series.

Loving the show.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 06 November 2010 - 04:39 PM

I love the show. I find myself wondering quite a bit, though - did people actually speak with those inflections back then? Take the guy with the nervous giggle for example. It feels like it's referencing films of that era instead of strictly sticking to reality.

These film references are why I thought the Phantom of The Opera sting was a good fit for the series - however, what bugs me about it is that it's anachronistic. Perhaps not so much as the character of Chalky White, however. tounge.gif

And I remember asking myself at one point - when are they going to run out of contemporary music? And then they used the John Treacy Egan version of Carrickfergus. I found the song really fitting, but holy f*ck did that feel like a change of gears, or what?

Don Garcia
  • Don Garcia

Dolls Kill

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 06 November 2010 - 05:13 PM

QUOTE (Otter @ Nov 6 2010, 16:39)
And I remember asking myself at one point - when are they going to run out of contemporary music?  And then they used the John Treacy Egan version of Carrickfergus.  I found the song really fitting, but holy f*ck did that feel like a change of gears, or what?

Turn off the part of your brain that over analyzes.

And I love that creep's laugh. It's totally ripped from the classic movies. His whole character has been done and seen a million times, but not in a recent show set in that same time period. It's great. His death will be glorious.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 06 November 2010 - 05:43 PM

Oh come on. You can't call that nitpicky. The entire series, up to this point, we've only heard songs recorded pre-30's (except over the credits and, and of course the opening) - and then to hear that? It felt weird, man. Not in a bad way, but I can't be the only one that it stood out to.

Sauron
  • Sauron

chillin' like a mega villain

• The Precinct

Posted 07 November 2010 - 04:23 AM

Does anyone else see the similarities between Jimmy and Leonardo Di Caprio?

Scarface187
  • Scarface187

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 07 November 2010 - 06:35 AM

QUOTE (Sauron. @ Nov 7 2010, 04:23)

YES. I keep thinking that Leo was probably originally considered for that role because there certainly are a lot of similarities between him and the character of Jimmy.

meta187
  • meta187

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 08 November 2010 - 08:53 PM Edited by meta187, 08 November 2010 - 08:57 PM.

QUOTE (Scarface187 @ Nov 7 2010, 06:35)
QUOTE (Sauron. @ Nov 7 2010, 04:23)

YES. I keep thinking that Leo was probably originally considered for that role because there certainly are a lot of similarities between him and the character of Jimmy.

Yea the wife and I both said he looked like Leo on the first episode, a lot less whiney though, which I like. Though Leo held a great lead in Gangs of New York so I can see that influencing the casting choice as well.

I liked this last episode pretty well. Seeing Nucky show off his political chops really shed light on that side of his influence and abilities. Some of the events that transpired in this one really set the stage for the crazy sh*t they showed in the extended upcoming episodes preview. I'm glad he had to humble himself and ask for Jimmy's help, which set things up for him to come back to the main setting of the story.

I have a feeling that Agent Van Alden is going to be an ongoing thorn in Nucky's side throughout the seasons but I really hope he gets done in by the end of this season.

Don Garcia
  • Don Garcia

Dolls Kill

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 11 November 2010 - 03:22 AM

Nucky needs Jimmy. I wanna see him beg him to come back to AC.

And when Jimmy returns, he better bring Phantom.

meta187
  • meta187

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 11 November 2010 - 12:44 PM

QUOTE (Don Garcia @ Nov 11 2010, 03:22)
And when Jimmy returns, he better bring Phantom.

The extended preview for the upcoming episodes shows Harrow giving someone the business end of a shotgun.

Fnorg
  • Fnorg

OG

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 13 November 2010 - 01:49 PM

This post puts everything that's annoying about Margaret into words.

QUOTE (Some guy somewhere)
The only character that is still really aggravating is Margaret. She experiences every event in her life as if it is the first time, over and over again. Even a simple action like answering a phone is approached with wide eyed amazement and confusion. I like to think she sat there with the book all night because she wasn't entirely sure how to operate such a complex device, and upon finally achieving a successful page turn was catapulted into a glazed stupor as she gazed in amazement at the fascinating squiggly patterns contained within...left to only mutter "Schrooo-durr...Schrooo-durr" until someone discovered her years later, still sitting in the same chair.

While Margaret is seeing most of this stuff for the first time (she had no phone or car before Nucky came along) you can apply the above post to conversations or everyday acts. She always has that confused look when talking to pretty much anyone who isn't Nucky or Lucy. What I'd like to know if this is due to the writing or Macdonald's delivery.

Master Headhunter
  • Master Headhunter

Consulente Infinito Andolini

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 13 November 2010 - 04:49 PM

Well put it into perspective Gronf, Margaret is a recent immigrant from Ireland who lived below poverty before Nucky.
So it stands to reason that she hasn't had a lot f interaction with phones before, even if those candlestick phones are terribly easy to use.
Basically didn't you pick it up and tell the operator who to call/connect you to? So I get your point there, with her waiting around for the call but during that night she expected to go out on the town with Nucky and was waiting for him to call.
He ended up going to that whorehouse with the senator or governor (i forget which, but one of them was playing a ukulele topless).

Granted in more recent episodes she is growing balls with quiting her job and telling nuckys old girl off. So she seems to be putting the whole womens rights thing and being reserved on the back burner now.

oh and Phantom does need to come back with Jimmy and Nuck, just too good of a character to leave out of the plotline. wink.gif

Fnorg
  • Fnorg

OG

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 14 November 2010 - 08:45 AM

Right, I know that she's new to technology, but that's not really what I'm going for. Even before she got involved with Nucky she was seemingly insecure and confused. I'm not just talking about cars and telephones - even when talking to mr. Schroeder, or her kids she had a confused look on her face. Though when she talks to Lucy she turns in to Margaret McMegabitch and then a second later goes back to quiet, timid Margaret. I just don't get how that works.

Master Headhunter
  • Master Headhunter

Consulente Infinito Andolini

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 14 November 2010 - 09:12 AM Edited by Master Headhunter, 14 November 2010 - 09:14 AM.

Hmmm short answer would be drugs or booze, but that would explain it in real life.
But as much as I like her standing up for herself, I do notice her being reserved rather often as well and I too don't have an idea to the reason for conflicting personalities like that. I do certain hope they expand on that area of the character, and not leave it by the wayside this season, in favor for 'beefing up' the Jimmy and the Phantom storyline.

You guys think this series will continue on for a few years? Because my initial thoughts of the program were mixed, but as the series has progressed and characters have been worked I find myself loving every minute of it. So much that the hour goes by like 15 minutes to me. biggrin.gif
Except that prohibition agent he still is a weird and sketchy guy to me, although releasing the money sent by Jimmy from Chicago was nice of him.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

ThePinkFloydSound

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 16 November 2010 - 10:01 PM

Finally got to watch the first couple of episodes and herself and loved it immediately. I never watched a current series before. Always watched them at my pleasure after the last season aired so, I'll find the wait between series frustrating.

Don Garcia
  • Don Garcia

Dolls Kill

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 18 November 2010 - 02:49 PM

The last episode was all-around great. Fantastic ending as well.

Chicago made a gangster out of Jimmy.

Wordsworth
  • Wordsworth

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 19 November 2010 - 12:04 AM

I don't know why they have chosen to change Nucky Johnson's name to Thompson in the series, because it is clearly him, and every other character based on a real person has their true name. Loving this show, though.

meta187
  • meta187

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 19 November 2010 - 01:03 AM Edited by meta187, 19 November 2010 - 01:07 AM.

QUOTE (Master Headhunter @ Nov 14 2010, 09:12)
You guys think this series will continue on for a few years?

They've already been signed for a 2nd Season. Critical and web reception have been overwhelmingly positive thus far. So yea, I think they have a long running hit with this provided they stick to the formula.

@Wordsworth: They are working within a set period of time, characters in this show will be dead or in prison after a set ammount of time. For viewers like myself, knowing their history is almost like a set in stone spoiler so having a few fictional characters in the mix, including the main character, allow the writers to have some flexibility within the storyline to make changes and add completely fictitious side stories. Make sense?

@Gronf: I'd agree the deeper sense of annoyance I feel towards Margaret is when she acts all shocked and put upon when some nasty element of Nucky's life comes to the forefront, you just want to say, "This is what you signed on for. So stop acting like a pouty bitch and enjoy the lifestyle."

Wordsworth
  • Wordsworth

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 20 November 2010 - 01:27 AM

QUOTE (meta187 @ Nov 19 2010, 01:03)
QUOTE (Master Headhunter @ Nov 14 2010, 09:12)
You guys think this series will continue on for a few years?

They've already been signed for a 2nd Season. Critical and web reception have been overwhelmingly positive thus far. So yea, I think they have a long running hit with this provided they stick to the formula.

@Wordsworth: They are working within a set period of time, characters in this show will be dead or in prison after a set ammount of time. For viewers like myself, knowing their history is almost like a set in stone spoiler so having a few fictional characters in the mix, including the main character, allow the writers to have some flexibility within the storyline to make changes and add completely fictitious side stories. Make sense?

@Gronf: I'd agree the deeper sense of annoyance I feel towards Margaret is when she acts all shocked and put upon when some nasty element of Nucky's life comes to the forefront, you just want to say, "This is what you signed on for. So stop acting like a pouty bitch and enjoy the lifestyle."

Hey meta what's up? It's me, 40.

I understand what you're saying, but Nucky Johnson lived until 1968 so that's really not a concern for the writers. They could have left his name the same since it's very obviously the same guy. With the exception of Al Capone, Arnold Rothstein, Lucky Luciano, and some of the local bosses, all the other characters are fictional. Margaret, Jimmy Darmody, and the rest are totally made up, which I understand helps to flesh out the fictional story around these real life people.

Great show either way, though.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users