Boardwalk Empire

531 replies to this topic
Scarface187
  • Scarface187

Putting out the fire with gasoline.

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 26 October 2014 - 09:52 PM

It all ends tonight.

Really f*cking sucks. This season zipped by. I don't know why they couldn't have given this the FINAL season of all things at least 4 more episodes or make this episode at least an hour and a half.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 26 October 2014 - 10:19 PM

for anyone who has watched the entire show to this point, you'll really appreciate this.

• Mikeol2014 likes this

Scarface187
  • Scarface187

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 27 October 2014 - 02:03 AM

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 27 October 2014 - 03:27 AM Edited by Tchuck, 27 October 2014 - 03:30 AM.

That was... Perfect. Capone ended the way he was living, Luciano has the commission set up, the Doctor got his, Nucky sold his soul to the commodore, and wow.

Spoiler

I will miss you, Boardwalk Empire. And thanks HBO, for making awesome TV.

• The Yokel and Failure like this

vahnx
  • vahnx

Thug

• Members

Posted 27 October 2014 - 04:17 AM

All empires come to an end.

Although the final season was slow, they tied up all the loose ends in my mind. 

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Tokel. Never forget.

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 27 October 2014 - 06:41 PM

I kind of suspected that

Spoiler

All in all, perfect finale. The show definitely didn't overstay its welcome.

Now bring back Deadwood, HBO! Yeah, I'm still not letting that one go.

• El Diablo and Failure like this

Scarface187
  • Scarface187

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 28 October 2014 - 01:38 AM Edited by Scarface187, 28 October 2014 - 01:41 AM.

Deadwood was what? 2 seasons only? I hope HBO on demand still has all their series on demand cause that ones been on my list for a long time.

If they can bring Twin Peaks back anything is possible.

The series finale is sitting weird with me. On one hand I think the end was great in a poetic justice kind of way. On the other hand I think it needed to be a little longer. It just ended. 

• El Diablo likes this

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 28 October 2014 - 04:25 AM Edited by El_Diablo, 28 October 2014 - 04:30 AM.

I didn't forget about Tommy, but I didn't like the way this ended either.

historically the real Enoch Johnson dies of old age long after prohibition comes to an end. he escapes the gang war and retires. I don't care that they deviated from history and killed him, but it feels a little cheap. because Tommy was supposed to be written out of the show. he was taken into the custody of that woman that Richard Harrow was banging before he bit the dust.

remember?

Gillian lost custody of Tommy to Richard and his girl who were sent to stay with Richard's sister when he departed. Tommy was supposed to be being raised by his foster family in peace miles away from this.

suppose now I'll have to go back and look very carefully, but I didn't think there was any pretense for this.

there was zero allusion, no red herrings. all we got were a few seconds there at the very end for Tommy to say something about how he's all alone and has no family but no room to explore how that happened or how he learned the truth about his father.

I thought everyone who knew the truth about Jimmy was long dead. so how did Tommy figure it out? and if he figured it out, why did he hang around Nucky's club trying to work for him? just get your revenge during the hundreds of other opportunities you had. why do all this weird sh*t about working for Nucky but turning down his tips? doesn't make sense. this just seems too random. like the producers wanted a dramatic twist but couldn't think of anything more plausible.

aside from that it was a beautiful climax.

I believe Boardwalk Empire could have stayed around for 1 more year - I would have liked to have seen season 5 dedicated to Chicago and Capone before ending on season 6 instead - but this way it's perfect in that you'll never overstay your welcome. they went out with a bang in a way that keeps people wanting more.

and yes Deadwood was 3 full seasons, not 2.

I wish they would bring it back as well but I highly doubt it.

• Failure likes this

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 28 October 2014 - 06:07 AM

I don't know, having him just fade into obscurity would be just... Too simple. He had to pay for the evil he had committed, he sentenced himself to death by catering to the Commodore's needs, and trying to do good but being bad. And it wasn't just a deviation, the character of Nucky Thompson was only based on Nucky Johnson, so they took plenty of liberties with it over the show anyway. 

And don't forget, Gillian could have written to Tommy, could have communicated with him, and she most likely knew about Jimmy's death. Even if she didn't know the details, she could have made up some story to suit her needs anyway. Heck, her reaching out to Nucky might have been her giving him one chance of redemption, an opportunity to keep his promise and save her, take care of her, like he said he would. But he failed, and she let things take its course. That's why Tommy could have killed him whenever he wanted, but did so only after Nucky refused to take care of Gillian like she would have hoped. At least, that's how it makes sense to me.

And his death makes sense in the whole theme of the mafia. The Moustache Petes were all dead, the five families were going to something different. They couldn't do things the old way anymore. Look at Capone, also going away for good while Luciano rose to ever increasing heights of power, by changing the game. Nucky was out, he was beaten, there was no world for him. You see that in that short scene where he goes into that tent and sees the TV. His facial expression, that amazing machine in front of him, it all tells him that the future holds no place for him. And then we come full circle with him paying for his major mistake.

He wanted the gold, he sought it, scrambled and mucked like a slave. He wanted the gold and he got it, came out with his fortune and all, but life isn't what he thought, getting ahead had no meaning at all, and the gold wasn't all. 

• Failure and Tacymist like this

feckyerlife
  • feckyerlife

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 October 2014 - 02:42 PM

Good finale, but Terrance Winter is the ultimate troll. He incorperated the 2 biggest theories of the soprano's ending into the end of boardwalk lol

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 28 October 2014 - 07:43 PM

He incorperated the 2 biggest theories of the soprano's ending into the end of boardwalk lol

care to elaborate?

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Administrator
  • Canada

Posted 28 October 2014 - 08:11 PM

I think it's pretty clear that Nucky died. I felt some things were rather forced this season and designed to make us, privvy to history, go Ah, this is when that thing happened in reality and characters became victims of circumstance rather than players. They hamfisted a lot of convenient backstory and contrivances to wrap it all up neatly, but neat it was. Young Nucky (both ages) was a masterstroke and I'm really interested in just how they achieved it.  On the subject of craft, however, was wondering about Capone's scars - was there some historical reason they looked so bad? As if he covered them up with powder or something? Because that was a pretty glaring visual.

Anyhow, really only felt shortchanged with the demise of Chalky and the rise of that f*cking weasel Luciano.

feckyerlife
  • feckyerlife

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 October 2014 - 08:54 PM Edited by feckyerlife, 28 October 2014 - 08:56 PM.

He incorperated the 2 biggest theories of the soprano's ending into the end of boardwalk lol

care to elaborate?

Everyone always assumes one of 2 things happened to Tony. he was either killed by the man in the members only jacket or he was arrested by the feds. Nucky is killed by Tommy who is then arrested by the feds, but the feds were also there to arrest Nucky as you hear them read him his miranda rights while he's dying.

so in my theory

Tommy = Man in members only jacket (who a lot of ppl claim was phil leotardo's brother)

Feds in plain clothes = the supposedly feds in plain clothes that were in the diner or like the other theory of the man in the members only jacket, he was the arresting officer

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 30 October 2014 - 07:11 PM

Tommy = Man in members only jacket (who a lot of ppl claim was phil leotardo's brother)

Feds in plain clothes = the supposedly feds in plain clothes that were in the diner or like the other theory of the man in the members only jacket, he was the arresting officer

oh I gotcha.

I don't think they were alluding to the Sopranos with that, but I can see where you make the connection.

Scarface187
  • Scarface187

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 30 October 2014 - 08:21 PM

On the subject of craft, however, was wondering about Capone's scars - was there some historical reason they looked so bad? As if he covered them up with powder or something? Because that was a pretty glaring visual.

Yep. He used to cover his scars up with powder in public cause he hated them. He was going crazy from syphilis so maybe he thought it really worked.

That was one thing I didn't like. The cops "arresting" Nucky while he's just laying there dying. That was dumb. The guy has a hole in his face and you're acting like he's just fine.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Tokel. Never forget.

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:06 PM

On the subject of craft, however, was wondering about Capone's scars - was there some historical reason they looked so bad? As if he covered them up with powder or something? Because that was a pretty glaring visual.

Yep. He used to cover his scars up with powder in public cause he hated them. He was going crazy from syphilis so maybe he thought it really worked.

That was one thing I didn't like. The cops "arresting" Nucky while he's just laying there dying. That was dumb. The guy has a hole in his face and you're acting like he's just fine.

Why would cops from that period be better than cops nowadays? Seen any cop abuse videos lately? They arrest people they kill moments prior on a regular basis.

feckyerlife
  • feckyerlife

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 31 October 2014 - 06:50 PM

Why would cops from that period be better than cops nowadays? Seen any cop abuse videos lately? They arrest people they kill moments prior on a regular basis.

cops back them probably killed a little bit more freely

Mikeol2014
  • Mikeol2014

Juan more time

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom
  • Draw Contest Winner 2016

Posted 01 November 2014 - 01:18 AM Edited by Mikeol1987, 01 November 2014 - 01:56 AM.

Did anyone think that they were slightly trying to tempt/tease us at the start of the season with the thought that

Spoiler
because it opened underneath the boardwalk, and kept going back to it throughout.

I Thought Al Capones facial masking makeup was perfect. yes it would of looked similar to that. I'm reading "The Life And World Of Al Capone" by John Kobler, and it mentions how people would notice his very white powdered face. Stephen Graham doesn't look too much like Al physically but I think it's enough of a resemblance and an absolute awesome performance as Al Capone. Always liked it, My favourite sub-plot/character

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

I think its inconsequential that

Spoiler

All in all, there are some problems I have with the final season, but I think it's meant to be watched in context with them all.

The fifth season is like the perfect start to the first season, in many ways. I think the final season will mature and appeal to more of us over time.

(spoiler because I don't know exactly how many of you here are right right up to date, so I'm being considerate)

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 01 November 2014 - 07:23 PM

it's artistic license technically, but the real Enoch Johnson wasn't a saint, either.

he really was one of the biggest bootleggers on the East Coast who had serious ties to mob crime and political corruption.

• Mikeol2014 likes this

Max
  • Max

The Port Vila Killa.

• Zaibatsu
  • Vanuatu
  • Contribution Award [Sports]

Posted 11 November 2014 - 09:56 PM Edited by Max, 11 November 2014 - 09:57 PM.

Finally caught up. I thought it was excellent. My only issue:

Spoiler
  • Mikeol2014 likes this

jlamay
  • jlamay

Lost In Liberty City

• Members

Posted 28 January 2015 - 09:35 PM

How many episodes was Ned Luke in? I don't get HBO so I've never seen any of the show.

Cult Of Personality
  • Cult Of Personality

=A=

• Members
  • England

Posted 28 January 2015 - 11:51 PM

How many episodes was Ned Luke in? I don't get HBO so I've never seen any of the show.

1 episode and it wasn't a prominent role. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users