531 replies to this topic
Max
  • Max

The Port Vila Killa.

• Zaibatsu
  • Vanuatu
  • Contribution Award [Sports]

Posted 29 November 2013 - 04:52 PM

So sad Richard is dead, mainly for his wife and Tommy. I loved him as a character and I really wanted him to team up with Nucky long term as an enforcer or something but was still a great story arc.

Chalky is going to be really interesting next season, so will the Chicago story line. Nucky and Will have power in Atlantic City any more so it will be interesting to see how they rebuild that. Great finale but as others have said, bittersweet. 

Carbine23
  • Carbine23

Work Hard & Say It's Easy

• Members

Posted 01 December 2013 - 07:57 AM

That ending...holy sh*t. It was so beautiful and haunting at the same time. Very sad but it was a brilliant season. Much better than the third. Now we wait to see what happens next

Max
  • Max

The Port Vila Killa.

• Zaibatsu
  • Vanuatu

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:44 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk...t-arts-25680443

Boardwalk Empire going to finish with the next season. This is a load of sh*t. We're in what, 1925 at the latest? I thought this would go until the end of Prohibition.

• Mister Pink likes this

rudy
  • rudy

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • France

Posted 10 January 2014 - 02:30 PM

I'm not suprised at that. I heard that Terence winter is busy producing another show for HBO. Also, some of the actor probably want to move onto other projects. Then again, maybe it's HBO. Ratings doesn't matter to them, compared to networks, but maybe they just don't feel like it's pulling enough to be worth whatever the productions are.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 10 January 2014 - 08:01 PM

I'm not suprised at that. I heard that Terence winter is busy producing another show for HBO. Also, some of the actor probably want to move onto other projects.

this is the main reason.

HBO and Showtime series last the longest when they use character actors or relatively 'unknown' actors to be their leading roles.

but when they pick major A-list stars (like Boardwalk has) they have a much harder time achieving longevity. everyone usually wants to move on because these actors are used to working on several different projects a year while episodic serial content requires much more time and attention (and keeping whatever hairdo or physical shape your character is supposed to be in intact).

Tacymist
  • Tacymist

Dump 2016

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Most GIFted Member
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 10 January 2014 - 08:04 PM

Ugh. It better be a goddamn hell of a final season. I was expecting this to go to the end of prohibition.

• El Diablo, Ciaran and rudy like this

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 10 January 2014 - 08:14 PM

I thought it would last longer than this given the ratings and awards success.

it's interesting because HBO is going to experiment with a new model for serial episodic content when it airs this new True Detective show.

they know they cannot hang onto Matthew McConaughey or Woody Harrelson for more than a year. so the plan is already to have a completely new cast each season and simply renew the series as long as its popular. True Detective will operate sort of like The Wire with a new theme (against the same backdrop) each year, but unlike The Wire it would exchange the cast and characters each time.

Max
  • Max

The Port Vila Killa.

• Zaibatsu
  • Vanuatu

Posted 10 January 2014 - 08:50 PM

There are hopeful suggestions of a Chicago based Al Capone spin-off with Season 5 only wrapping up Nucky's story. 

• Tacymist likes this

Tacymist
  • Tacymist

Dump 2016

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Most GIFted Member
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:34 AM

I wouldn't mind that a single bit. That's what had me most excited about the upcoming season, seeing Al Capone rise up.

John The Grudge
  • John The Grudge

Gangsta

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:49 AM Edited by John The Grudge, 13 January 2014 - 11:56 AM.

Spoiler

I don't think I'll be rooting for Nucky anymore.  I think Eli really shone in this season.

komalr
  • komalr

againsthelaw

• Members
  • Nepal

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:51 AM

Spoilers!!!

Spoiler
 and I never thought I'd like this series but i'm hooked. Though, I'm not liking the melo-drama of white and jimmy's mother much.. :/

Attorney General
  • Attorney General

psychonaut

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:54 AM

A few years back, I somehow lost interest in this show about halfway through the first season. But I picked it up a few weeks back after hearing a couple friends talking about how season four was killer... halfway through season two and digging every second. 

• Mister Pink and Max like this

Tracksuit Hitman
  • Tracksuit Hitman

I'm feeling Supersonic

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:35 PM

A few years back, I somehow lost interest in this show about halfway through the first season. But I picked it up a few weeks back after hearing a couple friends talking about how season four was killer... halfway through season two and digging every second. 

You and me both. I had to go out and buy a few boxsets because there's only four episodes available on my On Demand catch up service. I've just finished season two and I'm enjoying it a hell of a lot more than I did when I stopped mid-season. I think the reason I didn't enjoy it was because I had so much going on! Rad show.

Money Over Bullshit
  • Money Over Bullshit

The Visionary

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Concepts]
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2010
    Best Concept Story 2010 "The Code of The Streets"

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:53 PM Edited by Money Over Bullshit, 21 January 2014 - 11:04 PM.

There are hopeful suggestions of a Chicago based Al Capone spin-off with Season 5 only wrapping up Nucky's story. 

I'd really like this. I've wanted a spin off featuring the New York and Chicago gangsters since they were first introduced. It's interesting how the attempted assasination of Torrio happened this season since in real life it didn't ocur until a year later in 1925 (especially since the other events in Chicago this season were historically accurate)... I guess the writers wanted to speed up Capone's rise to power though. I don't know wether it's a little too early for a spin off though maybe another couple of seasons down the line would be better.

Hopefully the show doesn't go as slowly now and each season takes place over a couple of years rather than each season being another year on since it would suck if it took ten seasons to get to the 1930s when most of the good stuff happened with these guys. In my view next season would be the perfect time to introduce a few more Mafia characters such as Vito Genovese and Carlo Gambino who were underlings of Joe Masseria around this time. It was also when Masseria sparked off what would become the Castellammarese War with his New York rival Salvatore Maranzano. If this were to be included in a supposed spin off though I guess it could work next season or the one after... I think if this happened though a lot of people would stop watching the show.

Edit: Just read the article about the show ending. In my view the best case scenario would be a spin off series featuring the Mafia guys with occasional appearences from Buschemi - possibly starting in season two when he helps to organise the Big Seven Group.

CatDog96
  • CatDog96

Dayman

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:39 AM

I just finished watching this show, all 4 seasons in 3 days. Richard was my favourite character and the main reason I kept watching it so I was pissed off that he died, I'll probably watch season 5 for Nelson and Eli. I don't care about Nucky, Chalky and that other black guy anymore.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Tokel. Never forget.

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 26 July 2014 - 06:06 PM

I'm surprised that nobody bothered posting the teaser for the final season

• El Diablo and Mister Pink like this

Scarface187
  • Scarface187

Putting out the fire with gasoline.

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:33 PM

I don't know what's disappointing me the most. The fact that they're all of a sudden time jumping to the 30's or the fact that it's only 8 EPISODES!

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:58 PM

IT'S BACK.

THIS SUNDAY.

CaponeHisCigar.jpg

• The Yokel and Tacymist like this

Dutch Psycho
  • Dutch Psycho

TETTEN! :-)

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 September 2014 - 06:01 PM

Awesome episode especially the luciano scenes.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Tokel. Never forget.

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:34 PM Edited by The Yokel, 08 September 2014 - 10:34 PM.

I'm bummed that

Spoiler

I mean, come on.

I hope we'll get a spin-off series concentrating on everything that happened in New York and Chicago between the seasons. Because this is just f*cked up.

• vahnx and Tacymist like this

Scarface187
  • Scarface187

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 09 September 2014 - 06:27 PM

That or we could get a flashback in another episode.

vahnx
  • vahnx

Thug

• Members

Posted 10 September 2014 - 01:28 PM Edited by vahnx, 10 September 2014 - 01:30 PM.

Be honest and true boys, whatever you do boys, let this be your motto through life.

• El Diablo likes this

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 11 September 2014 - 02:57 AM

I'm bummed that

Spoiler

I mean, come on.

I hope we'll get a spin-off series concentrating on everything that happened in New York and Chicago between the seasons. Because this is just f*cked up.

I was slightly turned off by how far forward we jumped in time.

but it's fine.

I understand the limitations that the show is under, especially considering how desirable Steve Buscemi is in Hollywood. we didn't really miss out on any serious milestones (historically) in the lives of the leading characters.

more than anything, I'm actually hoping for a spin-off that continues into the future, not flashbacks.

when Nucky Thompson's story is finished they should roll the show into an Al Capone miniseries.

That or we could get a flashback in another episode.

I assume this, as well.

I really liked how the flashbacks were used already in the first episode to finally give us the true history of how Nucky started working for the Commodore. that was very cool and worked perfectly within the flow of the show.

my favorite scenes this week - by far - were those with Chalky White and Lucky Luciano.

can you believe that Mafia initiation ritual he does??

here's a bunch of gangsters who routinely sleep with every whore in the city sharing their blood.

no wonder so many of those guys died from syphilis :lol:

• Tacymist likes this

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Tokel. Never forget.

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 11 September 2014 - 04:52 PM

All I could think of was how that's a good way to transfer various diseases. Disgusting.

vahnx
  • vahnx

Thug

• Members

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:59 AM Edited by vahnx, 15 September 2014 - 10:02 AM.

Looks like each episode may have a Nucky flashback to show how he became the way he is.

Im also liking the Nelson scenes with Eli. Nelson is like my favorite character.

Scarface187
  • Scarface187

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 15 September 2014 - 03:04 PM

The Van Alden/Eli parring is f*cking awesome. I hope there are a lot of scenes with those two.

• The Yokel likes this

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Tokel. Never forget.

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 15 September 2014 - 05:30 PM

The Van Alden/Eli parring is f*cking awesome. I hope there are a lot of scenes with those two.

Yeah. Awesome partnership. Can't wait to see more. This was a good episode.

feckyerlife
  • feckyerlife

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 September 2014 - 06:15 PM Edited by feckyerlife, 17 September 2014 - 06:29 PM.

I'm bummed that

Spoiler

I mean, come on.

No Ar death, No Frankie Yale Death, No Saint Valentines day massacare,no start up of marazano, no Group 7 meeting, no Atlantic City conference, all of that was inbetween the time of season 4 and 5 which all couldve been put into one season.

I read a Terrance Winter interview and sounds too me what screwed up everything was Nuckys story, it had ran its course before everything else could come about.  I bet he regrets choosing the character of Nucky as the lead. Nucky would've been better as a side character

All I could think of was how that's a good way to transfer various diseases. Disgusting.

its changed since then lol. but yeah thats gross. but STDs werent really known back then

Van Alden looked like a psycopath not a sociopath like i was thinking he was lol

Edit: Dont read if you dont want spoilers but Eli and Van alden dont sound so bad ass :(

http://influxmagazin...-press-release/

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 19 September 2014 - 05:36 AM

the BEST scenes this week were Van Alden and Eli, followed closely by Lucky Luciano and Meyer Lansky.

beautiful drama playing out right now, outstanding tension-building, while the major players set up their pieces for the final chess match.

I f*cking love this sociopathic Cuban bodyguard that Nucky picked up.

and I'm glad that the flashback scenes are going to be a permanent fixture of the last season, they are incorporated very well into the pacing of the show and they provide invaluable insight into Nucky's enigmatic personality, the likes of which we've never seen before. I like how each flashback installment is chronological and doesn't waste time with filler. we're getting powerful, deep, emotional baggage thrown at us in the mix of all the modern chaos.

it's very telling to see where Enuch and his brother came from, how their father treated Enuch versus Eli, and how differently Eli and their mother behave from Enuch and their father. I wasn't expecting any of these flashbacks and they're almost the highlight of the season thus far.

also, I'm officially tired of Gillian's storyline. she's stuck in some weird female rehab/prison detention center but I don't care.

I don't care anymore. I'm not sure what her character has left to offer or why she's getting screen time.

feckyerlife
  • feckyerlife

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 September 2014 - 02:25 PM

the BEST scenes this week were Van Alden and Eli, followed closely by Lucky Luciano and Meyer Lansky.

beautiful drama playing out right now, outstanding tension-building, while the major players set up their pieces for the final chess match.

I f*cking love this sociopathic Cuban bodyguard that Nucky picked up.

and I'm glad that the flashback scenes are going to be a permanent fixture of the last season, they are incorporated very well into the pacing of the show and they provide invaluable insight into Nucky's enigmatic personality, the likes of which we've never seen before. I like how each flashback installment is chronological and doesn't waste time with filler. we're getting powerful, deep, emotional baggage thrown at us in the mix of all the modern chaos.

it's very telling to see where Enuch and his brother came from, how their father treated Enuch versus Eli, and how differently Eli and their mother behave from Enuch and their father. I wasn't expecting any of these flashbacks and they're almost the highlight of the season thus far.

also, I'm officially tired of Gillian's storyline. she's stuck in some weird female rehab/prison detention center but I don't care.

I don't care anymore. I'm not sure what her character has left to offer or why she's getting screen time.

Doesnt the bodyguard remind you of Michael Corleones bodyguard in Godfather2

• El Diablo likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users