Photo

Boardwalk Empire

529 replies to this topic
Rucke
  • Rucke

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 19 October 2012 - 05:57 PM

QUOTE (darthYENIK @ Thursday, Oct 18 2012, 06:11)
Uncle Junior!

But yeah, I can't get interested in anything to do with Margaret.  The whole meeting Nucky and Billie thing was interesting, but still not enough.  It's okay, though, there's plenty of other good stuff to keep me interested in the show as a whole.

I agree. Margaret was an interesting character in season 1, when she first met Nucky. In season 2 och 3 however her scenes just feels unnecessary and are slowing down the pace of the episodes.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"Not Santa's balls!"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:09 PM

I don't mind Margaret's subplot.
it's all part of the tapestry they have woven.

it affects Nucky which affects his decision making which affects the major plot lines.
if you notice, her scenes are much shorter than the average length of scenes for major characters. if Boardwalk Empire has one 'flaw' it's that there's too many characters and they're all interesting lol.gif

instead of barely 60 minutes, this show needs to be 2 hours long in order to cram in all the necessary content.

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:44 PM

I love this show, I really do.
As an avid history buff, I marked out when Dion O' Bannion showed up and seeing Bugsy, Lansky and their gang is always brilliant. Not a bad performance in the house. The only issue I have is that Nucky himself is so unlikeable, he has no warmth to him, he treats everyone around him like a fool and acts as though he is merely tolerating their presence. And this isn't Buscemi's fault, the guy's an incredible actor, but it's just weird.
I mean, when you look at a guy like Tony Soprano you could tell he actually gave a sh*t about his kids, but Nucky is so fickle and his affections are so fleeting that he comes across as being genuinely psychotic, whereas guys like Soprano are merely opportunistic sociopaths.
A very intriguing character to be sure, I always get the feeling he could turn on anyone at any time.

Question, do any of you guys know if we're going to see Bugs Moran any time soon? He was basically Capone's main nemesis for years.

ZerrickiShadow
  • ZerrickiShadow

Rat

• Members

Posted 20 October 2012 - 11:01 PM

QUOTE (Typhus @ Saturday, Oct 20 2012, 19:44)
I love this show, I really do.
As an avid history buff, I marked out when Dion O' Bannion showed up and seeing Bugsy, Lansky and their gang is always brilliant. Not a bad performance in the house. The only issue I have is that Nucky himself is so unlikeable, he has no warmth to him, he treats everyone around him like a fool and acts as though he is merely tolerating their presence. And this isn't Buscemi's fault, the guy's an incredible actor, but it's just weird.
I mean, when you look at a guy like Tony Soprano you could tell he actually gave a sh*t about his kids, but Nucky is so fickle and his affections are so fleeting that he comes across as being genuinely psychotic, whereas guys like Soprano are merely opportunistic sociopaths.
A very intriguing character to be sure, I always get the feeling he could turn on anyone at any time.

Question, do any of you guys know if we're going to see Bugs Moran any time soon? He was basically Capone's main nemesis for years.

I am starting to feel the same way. It seems as if two of the original main characters, Margaret and Nucky, have just become really boring. All of the side characters (Luciano, Capone, Harrow, Rosetti, and damn even Eli now) are far more interesting than those two. Margaret's plots can be slightly interesting but there''s still way too much of them. Nucky is really unlikable now, and it strange you mention Tony Soprano because the real Nucky Johnson is said to be more like Tony Soprano, and that's why they distanced it from that.

Bugs Moran would be nice, because honestly I think Al Capone needs to take over the show soon.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"Not Santa's balls!"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:32 AM

so what have we learned this week?

Margaret's son is f*ckin' crazy. a little pyro who believes his alter ego is a homeless man living nearby that sets fire to anyone and anything he doesn't like.

Gillian is f*ckin' crazy. her denial about Jimmy is so consuming that she would rather pick out a stranger who sort of looks like him (and sleep with him) than admit Jimmy is dead.

Rosetti has disappeared. can't blame him.

Nucky has officially pissed off his biggest ally in Washington DC. but he has also made new friends in the Justice Department.

I dunno about you guys, but I am hyped as hell for the 2nd half of the season.
things are moving fast. the stakes are climbing.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Boards Of Canada

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:32 AM

I just watched the first episode of the 3 season now. How many have aired so far? 6?

Enjoying it as I expected. smile.gif

Carbine23
  • Carbine23

Work Hard & Say It's Easy

• Members

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:20 PM

Yea 6 episodes so were half a season in

and i think Margaret's son is a pyro because of what he witnessed Nucky do in season 1

& btw i'm really hoping that Richard Harrow has a chance with that veteran's daughter. i think he deserves someone special but then again i think the point of her was just to make him realize how important his sister is

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

True Gentleman

• Members
  • Jamaica

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:22 PM

I wish they'd just kill off Margaret and the kids so we can get some gangster drama rolling again like in Season 1. Good god Margarete's story arc is f*ckin' boring.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"Not Santa's balls!"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:25 AM

there's a lot of great stuff happening in each episode and that's all you can focus on? sigh.gif

Margaret accounts for maybe 10% of screen time, if that.

Don Garcia
  • Don Garcia

Dolls Kill

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:47 AM Edited by Don Garcia, 16 March 2013 - 12:28 AM.

404: Post not found

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"Not Santa's balls!"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:49 AM

QUOTE (Don Garcia @ Monday, Oct 22 2012, 17:47)
Owen has Katy, but he really wants Margaret? Yeah...not buying that sh*t.

why not?

he and Margaret have a lot more in common. and it's not just their shared heritage.
Katy is pretty much another dumb broad, whereas Margaret is incredibly intelligent (for a woman in her time). she's smart and strong-willed, this is attractive to most men.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

True Gentleman

• Members
  • Jamaica

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:19 AM Edited by GTAvanja, 23 October 2012 - 06:23 AM.

QUOTE (El_Diablo @ Tuesday, Oct 23 2012, 02:25)
there's a lot of great stuff happening in each episode and that's all you can focus on? sigh.gif

Margaret accounts for maybe 10% of screen time, if that.

Her screen time means other stories people actually like don't get the chance to develop. Like Van Alden, Al Capone, Luciano etc. Who gives a f*ck about Margaret?

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"Not Santa's balls!"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:18 AM

QUOTE (GTAvanja @ Monday, Oct 22 2012, 23:19)
people actually like

people? well hey guess what?
you're not the only person who watches this show.

I've said before that I don't mind Margaret's subplot. her life affects Nucky which affects the main storyline.
just because you're getting your panties in a bunch about it, doesn't mean that everyone feels the same as you. I think you're overreacting.

who gives a f*ck about Margaret?
I do. the same way I gave a f*ck about Carmella Soprano in The Sopranos and Skyler White in Breaking Bad.

if you want to talk about Boardwalk Empire, then let's talk about Boardwalk Empire.
if you just want to bitch and moan about Margaret, then you should probably shut up Shifty41s_beerhatsmilie2.gif

Iminicus
  • Iminicus

Something witty, something sh*tty

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Pitcairn-Islands

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:40 AM

QUOTE (El_Diablo @ Monday, Oct 22 2012, 23:18)
QUOTE (GTAvanja @ Monday, Oct 22 2012, 23:19)
people actually like

people? well hey guess what?

I've said before that I don't mind Margaret's subplot. her life affects Nucky which affects the main storyline.
just because you're getting your panties in a bunch about it, doesn't mean that everyone feels the same as you. I think you're overreacting.

who gives a f*ck about Margaret?
I do. the same way I gave a f*ck about Carmella Soprano in The Sopranos and Skyler White in Breaking Bad.

if you want to talk about Boardwalk Empire, then let's talk about Boardwalk Empire.
if you just want to bitch and moan about Margaret, then you should probably shut up Shifty41s_beerhatsmilie2.gif

If they are going to insist on forcing Margaret onto us, expect people to bitch about her sh*t story arc. Frankly, they need to have Margaret do something other than this whole tempest movement, worry about Teddy, and whine sh*t. We had that with Carmela, it sucked then and it sucks now.

Write a compelling female lead it isn't f*cking hard. Hell, Whedon does it all the goddamn time. They managed it with Lost and numerous other shows. Plus, we can bitch and moan about any f*cking character we like. If you don't like those posts avert your goddamn eyes.

This mini arc with Teddy has already grown boring. I blame this on the terrible writing of it but also how stupid Margaret is reacting to it.

I want more Capone, Rothstein, Van Alden and Harrow. They are the 4 compelling, interesting characters. Nucky needs to be sidelined for a couple episodes. But no, they go and get him arrested and involved with the DoJ again. f*ck that.

Chalky White needs more air time too. In fact, for 2 episodes I don't want to see Nucky nor hear Margaret. Give us the phenomenal supporting cast that is what drives this show.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"Not Santa's balls!"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:56 AM

QUOTE (Iminicus @ Tuesday, Oct 23 2012, 00:40)
it sucked then and it sucks now.

says who?

MILLIONS of people tune in. they don't all post their opinions on GTA forums tounge2.gif

They managed it with Lost

Lost was a terrible show compared to Boardwalk Empire.

don't like that opinion?
avert your eyes tounge.gif

I want more Capone, Rothstein, Van Alden and Harrow.

me too!

and guess what? you're going to get it!
just have a little patience, jesus lol.gif

it's a huge show with a lot of characters.
I've already said that it definitely deserves to be longer than 60 minutes. but we can either talk about the show, or we can bitch about nothing. only one of those options actually moves the conversation along....

EscoLehGo
  • EscoLehGo

Ya Dingus

• Members

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:53 AM

Margaret's son is really annoying, I hate when the writing for children in shows and movies like this is all creepy and cryptic and the adults never really ask for complete clarification. I wanted to smack him upside his bowl cut

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

True Gentleman

• Members
  • Jamaica

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:29 PM

QUOTE (Iminicus @ Tuesday, Oct 23 2012, 09:40)
We had that with Carmela, it sucked then and it sucks now.

I didn't have a problem with Carmela in The Sopranos. She was an important part of Tony's life and I as a viewer could feel that. Margaret on the other hand is just boring and feels completely unnecessary to have her around. I think the only reason she's alive in season 3 is so that Nucky can kill Owen when he finds out that he's banging Margaret. Which I hope doesn't happen because writers could do a lot more with his character.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Scuse me, while I kiss this guy.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Movies & TV] 2013

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:44 PM

For the record, I don't think Margaret as a character or even her story is bad. Just uninteresting, to me personally. But like I said, there's still plenty other stuff going on to keep me interested. I felt exactly the same about Carmela in the Sopranos. Kelly MacDonald, as well as Edie Falco, are damn good, they're surrounded by interesting characters, and their stories feel like the flip side of the coin to the crime stories. In other words the execution is excellent, and necessary, but kind of boring.

Unrelated, Steven Root is awesome. I like watching him in stuff like this, and then watch a Bill heavy episode of King of the Hill or Office Space. He's just so versatile, and gold whatever he does.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"Not Santa's balls!"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:31 PM

QUOTE (darthYENIK @ Tuesday, Oct 23 2012, 11:44)
Unrelated, Steven Root is awesome.

I'm glad someone mentioned Steven Root.

he's easily one of my favorite character actors of this generation.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

True Gentleman

• Members
  • Jamaica

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:16 PM

George Remus likes the sound of his name way too much.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"Not Santa's balls!"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:43 PM

Ken Burns documentary on Prohibition mentioned the real life George Remus.

apparently that's exactly how the guy acted.
when he became rich and powerful as a bootlegger, he began referring to himself in the third person.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Boards Of Canada

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:48 PM

QUOTE (darthYENIK @ Tuesday, Oct 23 2012, 19:44)
For the record, I don't think Margaret as a character or even her story is bad. Just uninteresting, to me personally. But like I said, there's still plenty other stuff going on to keep me interested. I felt exactly the same about Carmela in the Sopranos. Kelly MacDonald, as well as Edie Falco, are damn good, they're surrounded by interesting characters, and their stories feel like the flip side of the coin to the crime stories. In other words the execution is excellent, and necessary, but kind of boring.

Unrelated, Steven Root is awesome. I like watching him in stuff like this, and then watch a Bill heavy episode of King of the Hill or Office Space. He's just so versatile, and gold whatever he does.

Well said man. icon14.gif

Carbine23
  • Carbine23

• Members

Posted 29 October 2012 - 03:01 AM

I kinda wish there was action in this episode but it's probably building up. I hope Harrow gets that girl Julia cause he deserves someone. And Gillian is just f*cked up as always, and something tells me Nucky wants to re-kindle the relationship between him and Margaret

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"Not Santa's balls!"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:12 AM

man I called that sh*t.

Gillian is f*ckin' crazy. her denial about Jimmy has finally come full circle.
I knew that kid that she met on the street was doomed from the beginning, but I wasn't sure how. Gillian obviously couldn't introduce him to anyone as her son because everyone who knew Jimmy would be able to tell that he wasn't. but I thought she was just gonna' shoot him and throw him into the ocean or something (so that his body would wash up on shore, wearing the dog tags, and his corpse would be bloated so it would be hard to identify).

I can't believe she just pumped him full of heroine and smothered his poor ass.
that was f*ckin' COLD. that was ICE COLD. Gillian is a psycho.

brilliant storylines developing between Rosetti and the New York outfit.
he saved his skin by telling his boss that he could deliver Nucky and Rothstein AND Luciano. but those are big promises. and we know from history that Lucky Luciano still has a big name to make for himself, which means that Rosetti only bought time; he's going to lose this war. but it should make for some awesome action towards the climax of season 3.

I love that Harrow is finally branching out too.
he deserves more attention.

Iminicus
  • Iminicus

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Pitcairn-Islands

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:42 AM Edited by Iminicus, 29 October 2012 - 07:45 AM.

Gillian is a freak but you wouldn't say no.
Geez, that was rather f*cking brutal. Also, did anyone else think it was weird how she implied Jimmy was her husband?

Harrow is the man. He is becoming pimp as. He deserves something good in his life.

Rosetti is f*cking insane. Loved the Church scene.

I wonder how Nucky and Eli are going to move forward from Easter. Nucky needs Eli but not as much as Eli needs him. I do think Nucky would be wise to give Eli his own crew.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"Not Santa's balls!"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:31 PM

QUOTE (Iminicus @ Monday, Oct 29 2012, 00:42)
Nucky needs Eli but not as much as Eli needs him. I do think Nucky would be wise to give Eli his own crew.

couldn't agree more.

despite their little beefs and misunderstandings, Eli has consistently proven to be Nucky's most loyal officer.
the only reason he didn't have his own crew already is because of his "legitimate" role as chief of police. but now that he's lost that position, he could easily be given control of his own soldiers.

Iminicus
  • Iminicus

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Pitcairn-Islands

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:57 AM

QUOTE (El_Diablo @ Tuesday, Oct 30 2012, 13:31)
QUOTE (Iminicus @ Monday, Oct 29 2012, 00:42)
Nucky needs Eli but not as much as Eli needs him. I do think Nucky would be wise to give Eli his own crew.

couldn't agree more.

despite their little beefs and misunderstandings, Eli has consistently proven to be Nucky's most loyal officer.
the only reason he didn't have his own crew already is because of his "legitimate" role as chief of police. but now that he's lost that position, he could easily be given control of his own soldiers.

I think Eli will end up taking control over from Mickey. He'll just naturally assume all responsibility once Nucky puts him as co-boss. Mickey won't care cause he doesn't really like the responsibility.

Carbine23
  • Carbine23

• Members

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:47 AM

so uh....wow. crazy ending i knew something was gonna happen

Scarface187
  • Scarface187

Putting out the fire with gasoline.

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:04 AM

Van Alden just became my favorite character. Heads will roll next week. The question is who's?

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"Not Santa's balls!"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:25 AM

Van Alden has always been the best character wink.gif

I really enjoyed this week's episode.
the war between Rosetti and Atlantic City has just started at the same time that Nucky is starting his offensive against Remus and the DEA. so now it looks like he's going to lose Charlie as his marriage to Margaret (spoiled by his personal bodyguard) begins to unravel.

things are moving fast in Chicago.
Al Capone has finally been given the confirmation he was looking for; that he's ready to run the outfit on his own. whatever happens next between his crew and Banion's crew will be an important moment. it will also carry heavy consequences for Van Alden who finally snapped and came back out of his shell... as predicted.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users