» «
Photo

Music you love but your friends hate

60 replies to this topic
Canofceleri
  • Canofceleri

OG

• The Connection

Posted 11 March 2010 - 04:58 AM Edited by Candarelli, 12 March 2010 - 09:57 PM.

The topic in Movies called "movies people love but you hate" inspired me to do this post, sort of the opposite though. I'm not too interested in how many of us don't like Nickelback or Michael Bolton, rather what's some music you dig that the people in your life have an extreme aversion to.

Feel free to post Youtube examples, the forum is diverse enough that maybe several will actually support your decision to enjoy Mr. Bungle.

Most of the people I hang out with have pretty good taste in music, but can't handle some of the admittedly less accessible stuff I listen to which is often a fair share of my overall listening habits. The glaring example would be Captain Beefheart who happens to be one of my favorite musicians. I've introduced several people to it and to date I haven't found anyone who shares my affection for Trout Mask Replica.

Yet another example of music I love but my friends hate would be electronic artist Fennesz. His music tends to be sort of formless, I enjoy how you kind of have to be an active listener and find the music in it. Needless to say, I am alone here as well.

My final entry is from the extremely obscure band Yowie that I stumbled upon somewhere in the internet's annals. It seems to me to be some twisted pedigree of technical/math rock. I find it extremely impressive and frequently dance to this in my underwear. No one else does, possibly except for me and the band themselves.

user posted image

FullMetal
  • FullMetal

Non-Retard

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 11 March 2010 - 07:03 AM

I also appreciate Captain Beefheart and his Magical Band alot. I got introduced to him by a friend (whom has a similar taste in music) and I looked for more albums from him. Not everything is as good but overall he got some good songs.

And indeed, not alot of people can appreciate him... which is something I've also noticed biggrin.gif .

Straznicy
  • Straznicy

Laugh at your problems

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Scotland

Posted 11 March 2010 - 07:46 AM

Most of my friends are big fans of ska, reggae and dubstep. That kind of style is probably my favorite too, but I listen very broadly. For the most part, my taste in metal and punk isn't met with much enthusiasm from my mates, nor is my love for stoner rock. They really despise the latter, actually. tounge.gif

Jay
  • Jay

1984 - 2011

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 11 March 2010 - 08:47 AM

90s pop music.

tounge.gif

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Boards Of Canada

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 11 March 2010 - 09:28 AM

I'm pretty lucky in this respect. If I like something usually it rubs off them except for maybe some PsyTrance which I'd only listen to when out or at a festival. Generally it's O.K.

Captain Beefheart + Mr Bungle = icon14.gif

Vanilla Shake
  • Vanilla Shake

<629

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 11 March 2010 - 09:35 AM

QUOTE (Jay @ Mar 11 2010, 03:47)
90s pop music.

tounge.gif

I dig it too (excluding Brittany Spear or the Backstreet Boys). And '80s pop.

But I have a varied taste in music. Most of my friends hate older rap or rap where the lyrics maintain some intelligence. They'll only listen to Weezy and Lil Wayne and all of that sh*t. I tried to persuade them that there is much better rap out there, like Nas, MF DOOM, Immortal Technique, etc. but they just never give it a chance. The majority of them like country music as well. That's really the only genre I refuse to enter. Not bashing it, just not my thing. I'm from New York so I'm more used to urban rap, punk, metal, rock, alternative, r&b, trip hop, etc.

Anyways, the band I like that most of my friends dislike is Green Day. And most of the people on this site hate them as well. They've just been my favorite band since I was, like, 4. And they're the only band whose lyrics speak out to me like no other artists' lyrics could. And they've become my main inspiration for my songwriting and wanting to get into the music industry. They went from playing in people's living rooms (and even crashing there for the night) to selling out arenas and stadiums worldwide. Just sort of amazes me.

My friends aren't very keen to Billy Joel, Pink Floyd or Counting Crows either. 3 of my other favorite artist/bands. Seems they only wanna listen to stuff like Lil Wayne, Taylor Swift, Rihanna and Sum 41 (f*cking posers).

/rant over.

Cheat
  • Cheat

the only people for me are the mad ones

• The Connection

Posted 11 March 2010 - 01:14 PM

I kinda listen to everything, but reggae, dubstep and ska punk are those ones I love but not any of my friends do.

meta187
  • meta187

Challenge Convention, Question Authority.

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Gaming] 2013
    Best Member in a Group 2010

Posted 11 March 2010 - 02:22 PM

QUOTE (Jay @ Mar 11 2010, 08:47)
90s pop music.

tounge.gif

Yea I have a ton of early 90's guilty pleasures, mainly Dance Artists: KLF, Technotronic, Soul II Soul, Black Box, SNAP!, Crystal Waters, Haddaway, C&C Music Factory, Dee-Lite, Quad City DJ's. The list goes on, I'm sure.

Hearing that stuff just makes me think of being a kid again so I always turn it up.

Fnorg
  • Fnorg

OG

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 11 March 2010 - 02:36 PM

They dislike my favorite artists passionately (Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Tom Waits), but in turn, I do the same. I'm not a giant fan of Tupac, Akon or T.I. but we get along just swell.

Craig
  • Craig

Hell Interface

• Members
  • None
  • Best Writer 2011

Posted 11 March 2010 - 02:41 PM

Oh God, where do I start. I don't keep much company (that's another story) but that I do keep probably refer to me as "the one with a sh*t music taste". It's quite ignorant in a way - I'd never rag on them for it, but I digress. He's already been mentioned, but Captain Beefheart raises a few eyebrows in my circle. I struggle to find anyone who actually likes him. I think what first drew me to him was his voice, it was like something I'd never heard. I discovered him through Frank Zappa, who I've listened to consistently for many years now. Again, I'll struggle to find anyone with a genuine interest.

I also don't like it when I tell people what I like to listen to (in bars and such, I'm not a mad bastard who'll just tell any old fool in the street) and they assume it's because I strive to be different, that really annoys me. I'll tell them I like Venetian Snares and they'll either shrug or actually have a listen and then dismiss my tastes because they think I'm listening to them just to be off the beaten track. Buckethead, who's one of my absolute favourite musicians, also makes people pull faces. Far be it from me to be bothered, but I think if they gave him a listen they wouldn't find it so bad. I just think the pale mask and bucket combination puts some people off.

Some Venetian Snares for those that feel curious...

Cheat
  • Cheat

the only people for me are the mad ones

• The Connection

Posted 11 March 2010 - 03:06 PM

I'm going to repost since my last post wasn't quuuite that precise

I listen to pretty much artists from pretty much genres, but the main genre for me is hip-hop.
I have one friend who is all about it (much more mainstream then what I listen to, though) and nothing else, a few who listen to everything and by that, rap too.
My best friend listens to metal and stuff but he is into Eminem and Linkin Park too, though. But I don't share intrest into that genre with my friends that much.

I also listen to ska punk, reggae and dubstep rather much and my best friend likes Billy Talent and Green Day but that's just 'bout it, I aside from that I don't share those genres with my friends at all.

I pretty much share intrest in music with my girl (space) friends - don't think of it as homo as it sounds like.

fili
  • fili

Weed Wacker

• BUSTED!

Posted 12 March 2010 - 01:40 AM

Mexican music by my former co-workers, I couldn't stand it. We had three people who loved METAL, more who liked rock, and the rest, country. No one got along on a musical level, needless to say

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 12 March 2010 - 02:50 AM

I'm a deadhead and people always seem to love to hate the grateful dead.

iamanevilbastard
  • iamanevilbastard

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 12 March 2010 - 09:14 AM

Nickelback. Yeah, burn me at the stake tounge2.gif

The Guru
  • The Guru

Ghetto Star

• The Connection
  • None
  • Picture of the Year 2010

Posted 12 March 2010 - 11:33 AM

Most of my friends are really mainstream and they think don't think that many hip hop songs sound very energetic. I can also listen to reggae and my friends are like what the f*ck is this sh*t but I enjoy it. Then again, it's the same way when it comes to me disliking my friends' music.

gtathebest4ever
  • gtathebest4ever

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 12 March 2010 - 03:06 PM

Basically everything I listen to, my friends don't. Most of them don't really hate my music, but some of them can't stand it. And it works the other way around. I don't like most of their music either.

meta187
  • meta187

Challenge Convention, Question Authority.

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Gaming] 2013
    Best Member in a Group 2010

Posted 12 March 2010 - 03:12 PM

QUOTE (iamanevilbastard @ Mar 12 2010, 09:14)
Nickelback. Yeah, burn me at the stake tounge2.gif

I just might...

But this thread affords certain amnesties.

flitcroft101
  • flitcroft101

wat

• Members

Posted 12 March 2010 - 03:32 PM Edited by flitcroft101, 12 March 2010 - 03:34 PM.

I adore post rock but most people I know can't stand it. I think they prefer to listen to their auto tune lil wayne and other mobile phone garbage but whatever I guess that's part of growing up in the UK and around trashy kids who feed into the horrible.

Blackadder.
  • Blackadder.

Luck. Runs. Out.

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 13 March 2010 - 02:54 PM

A lot of my friends are extremely ignorant when it comes to music and when I so much even mention 'Metal' they throw their arms in the air and go 'Uck, why do you listen to that screamo sh*t!?!'

Hell, I could say AC/DC and probably get the same response. confused.gif

EricDraven_GTACrow
  • EricDraven_GTACrow

Jesus Christ Poltergeist

• Members

Posted 15 March 2010 - 03:46 AM

Most of the Punk rock I listen to make my friends cringe, unless its "I love livin' in the city" by FEAR. Other than that pretty much on the same level except for my friend Jonathan who listens to annoying sh*t like Rise Against, Breaking Benjamin and a bunch of weird gay sounding JPOP sh*t.

Akavari
  • Akavari

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 March 2010 - 09:48 AM

I love the Dead Weather, but none of my friends seem to understand their sound.

Useless Dave
  • Useless Dave

Voted member of the year 2010

• Members

Posted 15 March 2010 - 11:50 AM

QUOTE (EricDraven_GTACrow @ Mar 15 2010, 03:46)
Most of the Punk rock I listen to make my friends cringe, unless its "I love livin' in the city" by FEAR.

I loooooooove...livin' in the city, yes I do!

Absolutely everything I listen to. But to be fair, I listen to some pretty weird/strange sh*t.

Snitch

• Members

Posted 15 March 2010 - 12:37 PM

QUOTE (Jay @ Mar 11 2010, 08:47)
90s pop music.

tounge.gif

80's pop and electronic music at that time. I noticed that most people of this generation hate it. My best friend likes it, but my classmates hate anything that is old lol. My classmates hate anything that is good too and they like anything that is crap(commercial music).

d0mm2k8
  • d0mm2k8

ad infinitum

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 15 March 2010 - 06:26 PM

QUOTE (808 @ Mar 15 2010, 12:37)

80's pop and electronic music at that time. I noticed that most people of this generation hate it. My best friend likes it, but my classmates hate anything that is old lol. My classmates hate anything that is good too and they like anything that is crap(commercial music).

Whenever I listen to the original versions of Out of Touch or Forever Young people say
'Why you listening to that sh*t?'

Then 10 minutes later they start listening to Justin Beiber or Rihana or sh*t like that.

What is the world coming to?

gtathebest4ever
  • gtathebest4ever

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 15 March 2010 - 07:57 PM

QUOTE (d0mm2k8 @ Mar 15 2010, 18:26)
QUOTE (808 @ Mar 15 2010, 12:37)

80's pop and electronic music at that time. I noticed that most people of this generation hate it. My best friend likes it, but my classmates hate anything that is old lol. My classmates hate anything that is good too and  they like anything that is crap(commercial music).

Whenever I listen to the original versions of Out of Touch or Forever Young people say
'Why you listening to that sh*t?'

Then 10 minutes later they start listening to Justin Beiber or Rihana or sh*t like that.

What is the world coming to?

It wouldn't be called mainstream if the majority of people didn't listen to it. I mean without them you'd have nobody to point to and say "Look at that commercial bastard, I'M HARDCORE". I hate being that guy but it is how it is.

GangstaMoney
  • GangstaMoney

Crackhead

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 April 2010 - 12:00 AM

QUOTE (Vanilla Shake @ Mar 11 2010, 09:35)
But I have a varied taste in music. Most of my friends hate older rap or rap where the lyrics maintain some intelligence. They'll only listen to and Lil Wayne

http://www.rapbaseme...tails-here.html

Melchior
  • Melchior

Big Homie

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • China

Posted 01 April 2010 - 07:09 AM

QUOTE (ThePinkFloydSound @ Mar 11 2010, 19:28)
I'm pretty lucky in this respect. If I like something usually it rubs off them

Same. I think everyone elses' problem is that they are friends with total retards.

Floro Solo
  • Floro Solo

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 04 April 2010 - 04:52 PM

Yeah, my whole punkrock collection, my girlfriend hates it, my friends hate it... they hate my band shirt collection and any of my skater/punk clothes (Element, Atticus, Macbeth). I look like a normal guy in them though but you know people can be so typical.

Vive La France
  • Vive La France

On my own mission, I fight like a man.

• Members

Posted 04 April 2010 - 05:25 PM

I love Scooter, but many of my friends hate it.

Vanilla Shake
  • Vanilla Shake

<629

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 04 April 2010 - 08:16 PM

QUOTE (GangstaMoney @ Mar 31 2010, 20:00)
QUOTE (Vanilla Shake @ Mar 11 2010, 09:35)
But I have a varied taste in music. Most of my friends hate older rap or rap where the lyrics maintain some intelligence. They'll only listen to and Lil Wayne

http://www.rapbaseme...tails-here.html

God damn it. I was really looking forward to that album. I can take K'Naan and Joss Stone, but Lil Wayne is where I draw the line. Oh well, I'll just listen to the songs on the album that doesn't feature him. Maybe if the song with him on it is good I'll enjoy it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users