Photo

...::[The Footy Desk]::...

25,973 replies to this topic
KawakSallas
  • KawakSallas

Kifflom

• Members

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:32 PM

Correct expulsion. Overthrew the last man in a clear goal situation.

GerryM
  • GerryM

Busy

• Members

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:34 PM

I'm currently texting my brother overseas and he is skeptical on what's happening (he's at school).

Canoxa
  • Canoxa

Woosh.

• Zaibatsu

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:38 PM

Gorgeous! I hope Brazil get one more in!

LifeWithScissors
  • LifeWithScissors

Veni Vidi Vici

• Members

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:39 PM

I never imagined Spain to lose against Brazil. It's like an illusion.

Johnny Playert
  • Johnny Playert

BIGGOS_010

• The Yardies
  • Netherlands

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:44 PM

lol LifeWithScissors get over it. Last match Spain didn't do well either.

GerryM
  • GerryM

Busy

• Members

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:45 PM

QUOTE (LifeWithScissors @ Sunday, Jun 30 2013, 23:39)
I never imagined Spain to lose against Brazil. It's like an illusion.

We have the same thoughts.

LifeWithScissors
  • LifeWithScissors

Veni Vidi Vici

• Members

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:46 PM

QUOTE (Johnny Playert @ Sunday, Jun 30 2013, 23:44)

Spain against Italy to me is pretty much the same thing. Most of the time the score is equal.

Nycki
  • Nycki

Tread lightly.

• The Yardies

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:54 PM

QUOTE (LifeWithScissors @ Sunday, Jun 30 2013, 23:46)

Spain against Italy to me is pretty much the same thing. Most of the time the score is equal.

Are you saying that Italy are more equal opposition? Based on this tournament I don't agree with that tbh. Spain played very well in first few matches and were dire in the last two. Italy should have won the semi.

Brazil deserved it, well done to them!

LifeWithScissors
  • LifeWithScissors

Veni Vidi Vici

• Members

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:56 PM

QUOTE (nycki88 @ Sunday, Jun 30 2013, 23:54)
QUOTE (LifeWithScissors @ Sunday, Jun 30 2013, 23:46)

Are you saying that Italy are more equal opposition? Based on this tournament I don't agree with that tbh. Brazil deserved it, well done to them!

Brazil back then with Italy did not deserve those 2 goals. 2 of them were offside.

Johnny Playert
  • Johnny Playert

BIGGOS_010

• The Yardies
  • Netherlands

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:00 AM

You can say all you want but Spain did it to themselves. If they brought their A-game, they would've won. Absolutely. But they allowed Brazil to overclass them, and Italy deserved to win the semi as well.

Max
  • Max

The Port Vila Killa.

• Zaibatsu
  • Vanuatu

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:25 AM

Everyone going mental and saying that this is a poor Spain team and that they're on the wane as a great footballing nation is f*cking annoying. Great performance from Brazil, no doubt, but I think its a little soon to be trumpeting the demise of the current World and European champions.

SIKKS66
  • SIKKS66

The Number of the Beast

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:29 AM

Spain looked absolutely exhausted. Brazil wanted it more.

And so on. Think the World Champs will take some lessons from this tourney but you wouldn't bet against Brazil doing a repeat performance next summer, barring some unforeseen calamities in the Brazil setup.

Gtaghost22
  • Gtaghost22

• Members

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:46 AM

Spain need a quality striker or they will struggle in the next World cup.

This match proves that Villa (and to a lesser extent Torres) had a way bigger role than most give him credit for in Spain's success over the past 5 years (minus 2012/2013). Top scorer of both Euro 2008 and the 2010WC and yet people claimed any striker could do the same if he had that midfield behind him. It's just not true and there is no chance in hell Spain will win the next WC playing 4-6-0.

Congratulations to Brazil. Glad we signed Neymar before this tournament. Who knows how much Santos would've asked for him after this performance. wow.gif

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Zaibatsu
  • Japan

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:00 AM

QUOTE (Gtaghost22 @ Sunday, Jun 30 2013, 16:46)
Congratulations to Brazil. Glad we signed Neymar before this tournament. Who knows how much Santos would've asked for him after this performance. wow.gif

Nothing, his contract was expiring soon and he could be negotiated for free starting in December or so.

On the match, both teams created a lot of chances. Brazil got really lucky with that first goal, which destabilized Spain as they are not used to starting behind. Superb defending by the Brazilian duo though.

Either way, I'm still disappointed Felipao prefers Hulk to Lucas. The Spain Brazil beat today was not the World Cup Champions. But obviously, Brazilian media will overplay the whole thing, raise all the expectations for the team again, and I predict they will fail to deliver in the WC, barring some "help" from FIFA.

fgcarva1
  • fgcarva1

Il Figlioccio

• Members

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:23 AM Edited by fgcarva1, 01 July 2013 - 04:52 PM.

f*ck YES!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, now that I've let my wild Brazilian side dominate, let's have a nice analysis on the match...

Although skeptical, I never thought Spain was that great. The media hype has always...
In 2010 Spain
Lost 1-0 to Switzerland
• Beat Honduras 2-0
• Beat Chile 2-1
• Beat Portugal, Paraguay, Germany and Holland 1-0

They clearly did not have a great campaign in that WC... it was a terrible tournament and Germany deserved to have won it. They have had a good few years and have lost for the first time in 29 matches, that does prove something. However, Spain lacks the tradition that teams like Uruguay, Italy, Brazil, Germany and etc. have. They lack the weight and pressure of a demanding crowd.

As for today's match... not being biased, but Brazil destroyed Spain tactically. Spain has been beaten lately through the means of Barcelona's lack of success and it seems as if their "tick-tack" playing style has been beat. We hit the counter-attack, played the wings, which they lack, and clearly beat them. There's really no surprise.... I see an end to Spanish hegemony and think that the soon-to-rise top tier of teams are Germany (which has been there for decades, just lacks a WC title), Argentina and Brazil.

flitcroft101
  • flitcroft101

wat

• Members

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:17 AM

Spain lose a match and all of a sudden they were never good? they didn't turn up today, when they do turn up they can tear any team in the world apart. Spain are still the masterclass of international football.

Gtaghost22
  • Gtaghost22

• Members

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:23 AM

@fgcarva1: So they weren't that good in WC2010? Fine. I don't agree but I can see where you're coming from. What about thier wins in Euro 2008 and 2012, though?

P.S: I know I'm in the minority, but I have a feeling Germany will not go that far in the next World Cup.

Stefche
  • Stefche

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:49 AM

I wouldn't say Spain didn't deserve to win the World Cup, but I mostly agree fgcarva. Tick-tack is very limited (look at how Italy were all over them in the Confed Cup semi, not to mention the game the two played in the Euros last year...You know, the one where Spain didn't win 4-0 tounge.gif), and, dare I say it, kind of boring.

I really can't see them winning next year's World Cup, but, I also can't see Brazil winning either. I think it'll be either Germany or Italy.

Doc Rikowski
  • Doc Rikowski

First Generation Gamer

• D1RTY12
  • Mars

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:09 AM

QUOTE (fgcarva1 @ Monday, Jul 1 2013, 01:23)
f*ck YES!!!!!!!!!!FIRST TEAM TO EVER WIN A FIFA TOURNAMENT 4 TIMES IN A ROW!!!

Ok, now that I've let my wild Brazilian side dominate, let's have a nice analysis on the match...

Although skeptical, I never thought Spain was that great. The media hype has always...
In 2010 Spain
Lost 1-0 to Switzerland
• Beat Honduras 2-0
• Beat Chile 2-1

They clearly did not have a great campaign in that WC... it was a terrible tournament and Germany deserved to have won it. They have had a good few years and have lost for the first time in 29 matches, that does prove something. However, Spain lacks the tradition that teams like Uruguay, Italy, Brazil, Germany and etc. have. They lack the weight and pressure of a demanding crowd.

As for today's match... not being biased, but Brazil destroyed Spain tactically. Spain has been beaten lately through the means of Barcelona's lack of success and it seems as if their "tick-tack" playing style has been beat. We hit the counter-attack, played the wings, which they lack, and clearly beat them. There's really no surprise.... I see an end to Spanish hegemony and think that the soon-to-rise top tier of teams are Germany (which has been there for decades, just lacks a WC title), Argentina and Brazil.

Finally some true words.

I agree 100%.

The final of yesterday just put football history on tracks again.
A minor football country, Spain, has been put back in its place by a 5 times World Champion.
The overhyped and overrated Spain national team went back to what it as always been in football history: mediocrity.
Just like it happened to another mediocre team before: France.

Samba!

Max
  • Max

The Port Vila Killa.

• Zaibatsu
  • Vanuatu

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:24 AM

QUOTE (docrikowski @ Monday, Jul 1 2013, 08:09)
QUOTE (fgcarva1 @ Monday, Jul 1 2013, 01:23)

In 2010 Spain
Lost 1-0 to Switzerland
• Beat Honduras 2-0
• Beat Chile 2-1

Finally some true words.

I agree 100%.

The final of yesterday just put football history on tracks again.
A minor football country, Spain, has been put back in its place by a 5 times World Champion.
The overhyped and overrated Spain national team went back to what it as always been in football history: mediocrity.
Just like it happened to another mediocre team before: France.

Samba!

That is literally the most knee-jerk, mental post I have ever seen in this topic, and that is saying a lot.

AceKingston
  • AceKingston

Winner, Winner Chicken Dinner.

• Members
  • India

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:13 AM

Oppa Samba Style!

Congratulations Brazil, well deserved indeed. I didn't expect Spain to win at all.

iNero
  • iNero

Black Tiger Sex Machine

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:49 PM

I hope we see Brazil play like in the old days again... finally
They dont play this joga bonito style anymore, but its still entertaining.

Seddo
  • Seddo

YNWA

• Zaibatsu

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:21 PM

QUOTE (fgcarva1 @ Monday, Jul 1 2013, 02:23)

Dunno if i'm reading that wrong but Brazil won the Confeds in 05, 09 and 13. France won 03 so Brazil are still on 3.

QUOTE (Max. @ Monday, Jul 1 2013, 11:24)
That is literally the most knee-jerk, mental post I have ever seen in this topic, and that is saying a lot.

Pretty sure Doc is a slightly bitter Italian fan, been giving Spain stick since Euro 2008.

Magnificent performance from Brazil yesterday (crowd were amazing as well), Spain were well and truly rocked, Brazil wanted it more and Spain were not even pressing (not making excuses but could be down to fatigue or even the heat). The knee-jerk is just the same after Barca's recent mauling to Munich the other month, silly. Some of the best teams ever have been on the end of some batterings. No shame losing to Brazil on their home soil especially at the Maracana, if i remember rightly Brazil have not lost a home competitive game since 1975 and have only lost two in 60 years, phenomenal record. You can't win every game and you're going to have poor performances pop up.

My god i wish England were in a crisis.

Shoumic
  • Shoumic

16 5 5™

• Members
  • Bangladesh

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:18 PM Edited by shoumic, 01 July 2013 - 04:20 PM.

Happy with Brazil's victory, it was truly a spectacular performance. I'm glad I stayed up till 6 AM to watch the whole thing; hopefully they will take home the World Cup next year. Was disappointing the way Brazil were knocked out last time. Before this tourney started there were a lot of critics who were hating on them at least over here. This should silence all of them.

Back to focusing on the transfer season then. It would of been better I had posted here during the game but I was too tired. Guess I better get used to watching all the games at 3-4 AM for next year.

AceKingston
  • AceKingston

Winner, Winner Chicken Dinner.

• Members
  • India

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:20 PM

QUOTE (shoumic @ Monday, Jul 1 2013, 21:48)
6 AM

The timezones between Asia and America are crap though, the match starts at like 3 AM and ends at like 5 AM in India. Anyway, I watched the highlights in the evening after I came back from school, Neymar and Fred make a good team.

fgcarva1
  • fgcarva1

Il Figlioccio

• Members

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:51 PM Edited by fgcarva1, 01 July 2013 - 04:53 PM.

QUOTE (Gtaghost22 @ Sunday, Jun 30 2013, 23:23)
@fgcarva1: So they weren't that good in WC2010? Fine. I don't agree but I can see where you're coming from. What about thier wins in Euro 2008 and 2012, though?

Yes, I don't think Spain was good in WC 2010... they won the cup as soon as they beat Germany 1-0... the fact Germany destroyed teams like England and Argentina showed that they had to win the Cup that year. As for the Euro '08... comparing it to the current Spanish team is like comparing the Italian '06 team with their Euro '12 team. It was a different team with a different playing style. As for Spain's victory in the Euro '12, they deserved it because no one could stop their midfield... but now, teams know that they push their man-marking up and control the midfield, playing counter-attacks on the wings, and voilá, you can put pressure on Spain.

(e.g. Maggio on the right side, Giaccerini on the left in the Italy-Spain game)

@flitcroft101- No one is saying Spain is bad. They're one of the best teams around. But all that I was saying was that there is no need for the figurative "Spainish ghost" (if I can call it that) that haunts every other team in the world. Nowadays when any team, including big teams like Italy and Uruguay, play Spain, the media goes nuts!! As if Spain were unbeatable. The false idea that the current Spanish team of all time is untrue and they are just as vulnerable, if not more vulnerable than other teams as Stefche mentioned "tick-tack is very limited". They were the best because no one knew how to beat them... but now things are quickly changing.

As for the Confederations Cup issue. I must have been mistaken. I thought France had won it in 1997 and Brazil in 2003. Guess I was wrong.

As for the timezones, now ya bastards know how I feel watching the Club World Cup every year. devil.gif

Vercetti27
  • Vercetti27

Staunton Faction

• Members

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:57 PM

spain are still the best footballing nation in the world and are current european and world champions. the confederations is a tournament only taken seriously by asia and the americas.
end discussion

AnthMUFC-Champs
  • AnthMUFC-Champs

MUFC-CHAMPS

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:50 PM

HAHAHA forget SAF, looks like that new first team coach is due a retirement lol.gif, In all seriousness though, he definitely reminds me of an old school PE Teacher...

user posted image

Anyway here is some leaked footage of the first unofficial United training session headed by Lumsden:

NathanT
  • NathanT

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:40 PM

QUOTE (AnthMUFC-Champs @ Monday, Jul 1 2013, 18:50)
HAHAHA forget SAF, looks like that new first team coach is due a retirement lol.gif, In all seriousness though, he definitely reminds me of an old school PE Teacher...

user posted image

Still looks really strange David Moyes wearing a United badge. Real shame Rene Meulensteen and Mike Phelan have gone too. Times change and hopefully United's success won't. Really looking forward to the new season now, only another 40 something days to go, I think....

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Zaibatsu
  • Japan

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:52 PM

So Yaya Sanogo joined Arsenal. Those of you who are FM fanatics know that this means Arsenal will break all goal scoring records next season as well as get some silverware! happy.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users