Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:54 PM

COME ON ARSENAL

Crokey
  • Crokey

Builders Like Erections

• Zaibatsu
  • Belize

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:00 PM

QUOTE (Vercetti27 @ Monday, Apr 16 2012, 20:54)
COME ON ARSENAL

Whoops.

Looks like Wigan have won Aprils team of the month.

02fishera
  • 02fishera

PSN ID: TeamTango91

• The Yardies
  • England

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:03 PM

I watched tonight's game in a pub full of Arsenal fans. While I have no dislike to Arsenal or their supporters, I must admit that it was quite funny seeing a room full of gooners with their heads in their hands after only 10 minutes. Better yet though, the outcome netted me 45.

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil"

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:39 PM

sorry to be slightly off topic...
but what's the deal with cardiac arrest amongst soccer players? sorry, I have to use "soccer" to distinguish between the following sports.

for the life of me I can't remember an American football (gridiron) or basketball or hockey or baseball player ever collapsing during a game and subsequently dying. I don't believe I've ever heard of it happening to a rugby player either. people get carted off all the time for major collisions but you never see someone simply drop because their heart stops beating.

in fact, the ONLY example of this from the other 4 major sports that I can recall is the story of Hank Gathers who died during a college basketball game when his heart stopped due to Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. but again, this is the ONLY instance I can think of that mirrors the situation we see in soccer pretty much every year.

what is different about soccer or the men who play it or their training/conditioning that causes an abnormal rate of cardiac issues?

Crokey
  • Crokey

Builders Like Erections

• Zaibatsu
  • Belize

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:08 PM

QUOTE (El_Diablo @ Monday, Apr 16 2012, 23:39)
sorry to be slightly off topic...

Your talking about Football, it's not off-topic wink.gif

Anywho, there could any number of reasons why it more prevalent in football than other sports, probably because football is the worlds largest participation sport, so bearing that in mind then the amount of players mean that statistically there is more chance of a player suffering from such cases.

There has also been speculation that due to the way players train these days they are actually doing too much cardio work or not enough, there is also the issue of diet as well, as a lot of players are being put on diets which can be low on energy releasing properties and actually stacking up on too much proteins which are good for bodybuilders and low stamina sports but not good for high stamina sports like football. Bearing in mind that on average a player can do 6km-8km a match, not taking into account that it's not like track 8km as in between the player will be stopping-starting and also doing a lot of lateral movements and jumping (and in Ashley Young's case falling down), so taking that into effect it more like an enhanced 8km Steeplechase.

Besides if your talking American Football Rugby tounge.gif players not suffering form such cases, then it could be due to the college system that Gridiron has, which is a very "unless your playing it professionally then your not playing it", which with football is not the case, as numerous Americans I've spoken to think is a great thing about football in that you can play the game professionally and amateur and still keep it the way its meant to be played. So as the collegiate system is in place with Gridiron the holistic approach is instilled in players and coaches, whereas in football players aren't from a collegiate background, to put it in American terms football players are just Regular Joe's whose Job is football, not educated Ivy Leaguers doing it professionally.

The Killa
  • The Killa

Diet Water Please

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:08 PM

Obviously I'm no cardiologist but I think it is odd as well, there has been an apparent increase in incidents lately, and I don't know why it's happening to super-fit football athletes.

I hope it doesn't have anything to do with modern "sport medicine" and all that they give your body.

On that subject, Fabrice Muamba has been released from the hospital today. icon14.gif

SIKKS66
  • SIKKS66

The Number of the Beast

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:29 PM

All I know is that I'm sh*tting myself playing five-a-side lately. If super-fit footballers can have cardiac arrests playing the game, what hope is there for an unfit, junk-food munching muppet like me? mercie_blink.gif

The Killa
  • The Killa

Diet Water Please

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:39 PM

QUOTE (SIKKS66 @ Monday, Apr 16 2012, 17:29)
All I know is that I'm sh*tting myself playing five-a-side lately. If super-fit footballers can have cardiac arrests playing the game, what hope is there for an unfit, junk-food munching muppet like me? mercie_blink.gif

Hahahah, I get f*cking knackered even having a simple kickabout for 15 minutes. We have no hope mate.

Seddo
  • Seddo

YNWA

• Zaibatsu

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:39 PM

I'm un-fit as f*ck and gagging for oxygen after 10 minutes when playing footy. Had a kick about this evening and had to have a spell in goal for a breather, didn't help that i got a massive whack in the ribs that's still hurting now.

My cousins husbands nephew (sounds like a start to a joke) has just died this evening after playing football and he was only 21, just collapsed apparently. Again he played a number of times a week and was quite active.

SIKKS66
  • SIKKS66

The Number of the Beast

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:41 PM

QUOTE (Seddo @ Monday, Apr 16 2012, 23:39)
My cousins husbands nephew (sounds like a start to a joke) has just died this evening after playing football and he was only 21, just collapsed apparently. Again he played a number of times a week and was quite active.

What the actual f*ck? Yeah, to hell with playing. I'm taking up smoking and watching sports on TV instead. Sounds safer.

The Killa
  • The Killa

Diet Water Please

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:52 PM

QUOTE (Seddo @ Monday, Apr 16 2012, 17:39)

confused.gif my word. It's a big problem, isn't it? Is football perhaps asking too much of the body? It really is an exhausting sport, I really can't think of much other sports that push the limits similar to it.

A J
  • A J

Damned

• BUSTED!
  • Wales

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:54 AM

The same thoughts are running through every footy fan's head right now.... better not over do it incase I have a heart attack.

I hate to sound like a cynic though, but could it just be the case of coincidence rather than anything to do with the sport itself?

Domeux
  • Domeux

King of the Craic

• Members

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:02 AM

As a Manchester City fan I was deeply saddened by the death of Marc-Vivien Fo, collapsed in an International match Cameroon. I remember watching a documentary quite a while ago about footballers collapsing on the pitch. They investigated one matter in particuler of a guy who went down one of the Northern European leagues (I'm drawn towards the Dutch League for some reason). What seemed to be the likely cause of his collapse was these high-powered painkillers of some sort, that his body couldn't cope with as it was sort of too fit. If I can remember correctly, didn't painkillers have some involvement in Bruce Lee's death, because he was so well-toned?

I can remember Roberto Mancini saying recently it scared him how so few health checks were done (about 2 a year) in English football, compared to about 8 or so in Italian football (despite recent events).

On a good note, glad to see Wigan win. Nothing against Arsenal, just because it reiterated the fact, "Anything can happen football", something us Citizens will have to keep in mind in the following weeks.

TheCacti
  • TheCacti

oh sh*t there's a horse in the hospital

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:06 AM

QUOTE (The Killa @ Monday, Apr 16 2012, 23:52)
I really can't think of much other sports that push the limits similar to it.

Don't if you've ever tried boxing, but that sh*t is intense. A mere 30 seconds feels like hours. Of course that sport works you body in different ways, though.

Here's to hoping we all stay safe on the pitch.

Vercetti27
  • Vercetti27

Staunton Faction

• Members

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:18 PM

QUOTE (02fishera @ Monday, Apr 16 2012, 22:03)
I watched tonight's game in a pub full of Arsenal fans. While I have no dislike to Arsenal or their supporters, I must admit that it was quite funny seeing a room full of gooners with their heads in their hands after only 10 minutes. Better yet though, the outcome netted me 45.

bastard angry.gif

Crokey
  • Crokey

Builders Like Erections

• Zaibatsu
  • Belize

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:44 PM

QUOTE (Domeux @ Tuesday, Apr 17 2012, 02:02)
As a Manchester City fan....

On a good note, glad to see Wigan win. Nothing against Arsenal, just because it reiterated the fact, "Anything can happen football", something us Citizens will have to keep in mind in the following weeks.

Thank f*ck there's now more than one of us on here now smile.gif Welcome aboard and don't let the swampies try and scare you off. CTID.

Anywhoo...

Who is Sheldon Coopers favorite Chelsea player?

...Don't be silly Sheldon Cooper doesn't like football... Bosingwa!

Domeux
  • Domeux

King of the Craic

• Members

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:12 PM

QUOTE (Gareth Croke @ Tuesday, Apr 17 2012, 16:44)
Welcome aboard and don't let the swampies try and scare you off. CTID.

Never gonna happen cool.gif

Just watched BBT actually, liking the joke.

On to footy. See City's EDS (Academy) are into the League Cup Final. Liking how our youth players are shaping up (Aside from Savic, against the pool in the League Cup Semi, he let us down big style). Soon there are gonna be around 19 pitches and buildings around the Etihad to help build youth players. Exciting stuff.

Crokey
  • Crokey

Builders Like Erections

• Zaibatsu
  • Belize

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:20 PM

Sure looks like its gonna be sweet, apparently they are thinking about building a Hotel around the back (North End) of the stadium in the future as well as a large Shopping Mall complex... bout time an all I always feel dirty walking into a shopping centre called "Trafford"

Agreed about Savic, he needs a loan spell at a Wigan or Bolton type team to give him some experience. At rare times you can see why Mancini has favoured him but he still seems a little cack-handed with tackles at times.

Domeux
  • Domeux

King of the Craic

• Members

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:38 PM

QUOTE (Gareth Croke @ Tuesday, Apr 17 2012, 18:20)
Agreed about Savic, he needs a loan spell at a Wigan or Bolton type team to give him some experience. At rare times you can see why Mancini has favoured him but he still seems a little cack-handed with tackles at times.[/font][/color]

I don't know what other way to say this...he is Yellow. A Coward if you will. He either pulls out of too many tackles or goes in half-heartedly. Not at all concerned about his lack of pace, defenders don't have to be quick in my opinion. Look at Vidic, lacks pace and gets caught out quite a number of times but is still the second best centre half in the league (Behind Big Vinnie of course). Would prefer to see him go to be honest, although we did pay 7 million for him, so City must see 'something' in him.

Canoxa
  • Canoxa

Woosh.

• Zaibatsu

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:43 PM

"This will be a particularly tactical game"... and that's why I'll put Di Maria in, thought Mourinho. Genius! Not to mention that he was supposed to be marking Ribery.

SIKKS66
  • SIKKS66

The Number of the Beast

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:11 PM

Can someone please explain why Ozil never finishes a game?

El Zilcho
  • El Zilcho

Virtuoso

• Leone Family Mafia
  • European-Union

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:15 PM

Interesting semi this, I can see Bayern nicking one near the end but it's pretty hard to call.

Canoxa
  • Canoxa

Woosh.

• Zaibatsu

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:36 PM

QUOTE (El Zilcho @ Tuesday, Apr 17 2012, 21:15)
Interesting semi this, I can see Bayern nicking one near the end but it's pretty hard to call.

Bingo.

Marcelo you f*cking dunce.

Der_Don
  • Der_Don

#FreeShinji

• Members

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:37 PM

Marcelo is such a f*cking little c*nt!

El Zilcho
  • El Zilcho

Virtuoso

• Leone Family Mafia
  • European-Union

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:38 PM

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that was a good call - he clipped him with his shins and didn't go in with studs, wouldn't say a red. Good win for Bayern here, they played great.

miromiro
  • miromiro

Time Killa

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:40 PM

I really don't understand how you can forgive somebody from a red card after such a late fault, and then starting a verbal fight. What a shame.
On the other hand, a very nice match. Bayern often remembered me of Barcelona's playing style. The only difference is that they do less passes, but the gameplay and flow of the players is amazing. I'd really wish Bayern to beat Real, such a shame they got a goal home, hope it won't count after the 2nd leg.

Domeux
  • Domeux

King of the Craic

• Members

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:41 PM

Glad to see Bayern win, hope they go all the way to be honest.

Der_Don
  • Der_Don

#FreeShinji

• Members

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:07 PM

Good result for Bayern, I still think Real will go through though.

AndyGanteks
  • AndyGanteks

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:18 PM

Bayern managed to make then 2nd leg interesting with that last gasp goal. Don't tip em off so easily though, it's Bayern after all. Real will have to work hard to go through, i'm sure.
Lots of fouls, though overally a very interesting game.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users