» «
Photo

...::[The Footy Desk]::...

25,769 replies to this topic
SIKKS66
  • SIKKS66

The Number of the Beast

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:47 PM Edited by SIKKS66, 02 November 2011 - 09:10 PM.

QUOTE (Der_Don @ Wednesday, Nov 2 2011, 20:33)
Bayern - Napoli is such a great game to watch. 3-1 at halftime, Gomez scored a hattrick.

Hah, saw that flash across the screen. Gomez is a machine.

Most fun aspect of this United game is watching Rooney pretend to be Scholes. And Jones playing second-striker from right fullback.

Edit: If Ray Wilkins says "my word" one more time...

JoeyLeone25
  • JoeyLeone25

AMF Elder

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:55 PM

For some idiotic reason the Football Association are looking to appeal Rooney's ban. So he's missing the group stages of Euro 2012, whose fault is that? Mr Rooney's of course, because despite him having the feet of a World Class footballer, he's still got the brain and temper of a child. They should in my opinion, let him take his punishment, let England play without him and put this issue to bed once and for all.

mark-2007
  • mark-2007

Big Homie

• The Connection

Posted 05 November 2011 - 04:08 PM

Well, being 2nd was fun while it lasted. But Ryan Taylor, what a goal!

Seddo
  • Seddo

YNWA

• Zaibatsu

Posted 06 November 2011 - 05:24 PM

QUOTE (mark-2007 @ Saturday, Nov 5 2011, 16:08)
Well, being 2nd was fun while it lasted. But Ryan Taylor, what a goal!

Newcastle for the title, it's like 1996 all over again. I look forward to another 4-3 classic when we meet up tounge.gif.

mark-2007
  • mark-2007

Big Homie

• The Connection

Posted 07 November 2011 - 01:28 AM

So long as Carroll doesn't get any of those 4!

I can see our undefeated spell (and best defence!) going down the sh*tter very soon. Man City, then Man Utd away, followed by Chelsea at home, I believe. Oh dear...

chris
  • chris

Everton FC

• The Connection

Posted 07 November 2011 - 01:54 PM

I'm actually hoping Newcastle go the distance this season.

Tommy.
  • Tommy.

MUFC

• The Yardies
  • England

Posted 07 November 2011 - 04:51 PM

QUOTE (mark-2007 @ Monday, Nov 7 2011, 02:28)
So long as Carroll doesn't get any of those 4!

I can see our undefeated spell (and best defence!) going down the sh*tter very soon. Man City, then Man Utd away, followed by Chelsea at home, I believe. Oh dear...

I don't know mate. Newcastle will be on a high and they will just go for it against the big teams.

Vercetti27
  • Vercetti27

Staunton Faction

• Members

Posted 07 November 2011 - 05:18 PM

in January Ba and Tiote (arguably your two best players) will be off in the ACN for a while as well. Think Newcastle are definitley in contention for the top 6.

flitcroft101
  • flitcroft101

wat

• Members

Posted 07 November 2011 - 06:32 PM

That Athletic Bilbao - Barcelona match yesterday was brilliant. So intense, Bilbao really deserve credit for the fierce way they play. Also for being mainly a home made squad, basque power.

LanceVanceDance07
  • LanceVanceDance07

Endless...

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:58 PM

QUOTE (flitcroft101 @ Monday, Nov 7 2011, 14:32)
That Athletic Bilbao - Barcelona match yesterday was brilliant. So intense, Bilbao really deserve credit for the fierce way they play. Also for being mainly a home made squad, basque power.

I saw the last 10 minutes of that match, it was a crazy ending that's for sure. Pitch was waterlogged, so that was a disadvantage to Barca and helped Bilbao because Barca couldn't quite connect with their passes as usual. But I wasn't surprised when Barca got the equalizer and I was even less surprised when it was Messi that scored it.

I was really pulling for Bilbao to pull off the victory, but Barca managed to get a point.

SIKKS66
  • SIKKS66

The Number of the Beast

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 08 November 2011 - 12:30 AM

Oh man, Newcastle are impressive this year. Attacking and defending as a team, Pardew has built one hell of a unit there. I was kind of hoping for Newcastle to have a sh*t season after what Ashley did to Hughton but you have to admire how they've gone from strength to strength under Pardew.

I think they're lacking a little bit of quality depth and could do with a bit of bolstering in certain positions. A new striker to offer competition and new partnerships with Ba and Best is probably required (I bet Andy Carroll must have a little regret at leaving at this point). I'm also thinking they should do what Arsenal failed to do and bring Chris Samba into their defence. A back four containing him, Coloccini (anyone remember when he was a bit of an overpaid joke?) and the two Taylors would be a pretty fearsome prospect. One more quality winger is probably needed too, unless Obertan can suddenly become a world beater.

I think "big teams" like Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea have frailties that a hard-working Newcastle could exploit but whether they have the guile and tenacity to go the long-distance remains to be seen.

Either way, Newcastle's evolution is just one indication as to how this could be a pivotal season in the history of the Premier League. Can they last? Can City? Are we seeing the terminal decline of Premier League stalwarts such as Bolton and Blackburn and the rise of new/rejuvenated powers such as Swansea and Norwich? How long until Liverpool decide King Kenny needs a stand named after him too?

f*ckING INTERNATIONAL BREAKS icon13.gif

mark-2007
  • mark-2007

Big Homie

• The Connection

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:32 AM Edited by mark-2007, 08 November 2011 - 02:37 AM.

Could do with a lot more strength up front. Ba's been phenomenal (think since Ramadan finished? He was fasting through that so didn't play much) but don't forget we didn't actually get other strikers we were rumoured to be after (Shane Long, Melvut Erdinc, I think Maiga (sp?) from Sochaux). Hopefully we'll manage to get a decent striker in January, if only on loan as short term cover for Ba when he's away.

As for Samba, certainly wouldn't say no to him! Would love to keep Colo, but there were pretty strong rumours linking him to Valencia towards the end of the summer. If, if we manage a good finish (top 6 as someone mentioned? That would be a dream!), we might just keep him on. Thing is, he's our highest-paid player and Ashley is a sucker for trimming the wage bill at any given opportunity. Not sure I'd keep Ryan Taylor in the back four though. He's doing a tremendous job (and getting a few cracking goals along with it!) as cover at left back, but I would like to see Santon get gradually brought in at that position. Could switch R. Taylor to right back, his natural side, and stick Simpson on the bench though, never been a big fan of Simpson.

And you're spot on about the winger. Gutierrez has had a great start to the season, but when he's having an off day he can be pretty poor. Still a bit early to pass judgement on Obertan in a Toon shirt, but thus far he's pretty hit-and-miss. His mere pace on the pitch does seem to cause some problems for the opposition, but he hasn't shown much more than that yet.

EDIT: Also, that about Ashley. One of the worst things he's done (and there are many to choose from), in my eyes at least, is tarnish the reputation of the club so badly in concern to other supporters. Like you're saying, and I hear it fairly often, a lot of people want the team to do badly merely because of the owner. We used to be "everyone's second favourite club" under Keegan and later Robson (not sure how truthful that is, but read it a bunch o' times), now everyone seems to hate our guts! Wahhh.

That also comes from our descent down the league table (began long before he came in) and a succession of managers playing dull football (hired by both Shepherd - Sounness, Allardyce - and Ashley - Kinnear).

JoeyLeone25
  • JoeyLeone25

AMF Elder

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:20 AM

Just imagine how much of a footballing force Newcastle would be right now, if Mike Ashley had invested some of the millions they have brought in over the past twelve months! Still, with that said, it is nice to see Newcastle showing the others that money doesn't mean everything, and a tight-knit team can defeat anybody on their day. My regret? I have no Newcastle players in my Dream Team...

something_else
  • something_else

C M Y K

• The Connection

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:35 AM

QUOTE (mark-2007 @ Tuesday, Nov 8 2011, 03:32)
We were rumoured to be after (Shane Long, Melvut Erdinc, I think Maiga (sp?) from Sochaux). Hopefully we'll manage to get a decent striker in January, if only on loan as short term cover for Ba when he's away.

Rumours are that Newcastle are still keen on Maiga, and that he's still keen to leave Sochaux, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if that deal goes through in the January window. I think they're also looking at Luuk de Jong, but Liverpool and Spurs have apparently been sniffing around him as well, so who knows what'll happen there.

In other news, Tomasz Kuszczak has said he's "become a slave to Manchester". With Ben Amos getting the nod as third choice keeper this season it's obvious Kuszczak has done something to annoy Fergie. They tried to ship him out in the summer, and I believe he turned down a couple of offers and nobody else was interested.

Purple9
  • Purple9

WARNING: Contains Horse

• The Precinct

Posted 08 November 2011 - 03:17 PM

Kuszczak's problem is that he's not good enough for Man United. He had his chance, then messed it up. Nothing to do with being a slave. He's just sh*t and should be playing for West Brom.

Prometheus
  • Prometheus

• None

Posted 08 November 2011 - 03:19 PM

QUOTE (Purple9 @ Tuesday, Nov 8 2011, 15:17)
Kuszczak's problem is that he's not good enough for Man United. He had his chance, then messed it up. Nothing to do with being a slave. He's just sh*t and should be playing for West Brom.

maybe Southampton is better for him, he's not the right one for WB nor Leeds.

something_else
  • something_else

C M Y K

• The Connection

Posted 08 November 2011 - 03:36 PM

QUOTE (Purple9 @ Tuesday, Nov 8 2011, 16:17)

He was given a handful of games last season and was clearly ahead of Lindegaard in the pecking order, yet this season he's on the fringes of the reserve squad and if Sam Johnstone wasn't out on loan he'd probably be better off having a kickabout in his own garden. He didn't suddenly get worse over the summer, so for Fergie to shun him so emphatically something must have gone on behind the scenes. Hopefully he'll get a move in January.

JoeyLeone25
  • JoeyLeone25

AMF Elder

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 10 November 2011 - 10:37 AM

QUOTE (Purple9 @ Tuesday, Nov 8 2011, 16:17)

wow.gif Nice to see a friendly face return down into the depths of the Footy Desk...

Just to jump back on Newcastle United's, well...back, news came out of the Sports Direct Arena last night that Mike Ashley is going to finally flog the naming rights to St James' Park. No more, Sports Direct Crack Whore Parkour Flying Monkeys @ St James' Park, now it will simply be called '[Enter Corporate Sponssr's Name Here]' Stadium.

Personally, I'm a little surprised with this move. Corporate sponsorship and stadium names have started to rise recently (Emirates, Etihad, Amex, etc), but to remove the St James' entirely from the stadium's name? To me, St James' Park was one of a handful of stadiums (Old Trafford, Anfield, White Hart Lane) which had a name, a heritage, a beauty about it, but now it'll seemingly come across to the next generation as 'just another bit of corporate sell-out-ery'.

Or maybe I'm just old...

Seddo
  • Seddo

YNWA

• Zaibatsu

Posted 10 November 2011 - 12:49 PM

A lot of clubs are selling the naming rights to fund the expenses in building a new stadium, Anfield will be next in the upcoming years cryani.gif and i won't be surprised to see Chelsea sell their stadium naming rights when they move.

There's quite a lot of branded name stadiums around the world and it will end up coming the norm soon anyway. Even more so to gain extra cash to get past the financial fair play rules like City.

Such as a shame.

Vercetti27
  • Vercetti27

Staunton Faction

• Members

Posted 10 November 2011 - 01:00 PM

QUOTE (Seddo @ Thursday, Nov 10 2011, 12:49)
A lot of clubs are selling the naming rights to fund the expenses in building a new stadium, Anfield will be next in the upcoming years cryani.gif and i won't be surprised to see Chelsea sell their stadium naming rights when they move.

There's quite a lot of branded name stadiums around the world and it will end up coming the norm soon anyway. Even more so to gain extra cash to get past the financial fair play rules like City.

Such as a shame.

haven't heard anything about the proposed stanley park move for a while...

a groundshare with everton would be a great way of settling everything! that_guy2057_evilgrin.gif moto_whistle.gif

Seddo
  • Seddo

YNWA

• Zaibatsu

Posted 10 November 2011 - 01:13 PM

QUOTE (Vercetti27 @ Thursday, Nov 10 2011, 13:00)
haven't heard anything about the proposed stanley park move for a while...

a groundshare with everton would be a great way of settling everything! that_guy2057_evilgrin.gif  moto_whistle.gif

There's little bits of news floating around.

The club has been given an extension by the council to make a decision and the higher ups are taking their time in making a decision whether to move to Stanley Park or somehow redevelop Anfield. I would love to stay at Anfield but not to sure how it would be possible, we're jam pack stuck in the middle on a load of streets and not to sure how much extra seats we can squeeze in.

As for the ground share, i don't think you'll find a singe LFC fan who wants that. Besides Everton are on their arses and would want us to pay the majority of everything tounge.gif.

StevenGerrardIsOverrated
  • StevenGerrardIsOverrated

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 November 2011 - 02:43 PM

Looking forward to seeing Spain rip us a new one biggrin.gif

I expect Spain to line up similar to this:

----------Reina--------------
Arbeloa--Ramos--Pique
---------------------------Alba
---Alonso--Busquets--------
----------Xavi---------------
--Iniesta--- Silva----------
-----------------------Villa

AlexGTAGamer
  • AlexGTAGamer

If you can't laugh, you might as well cry.

• Members

Posted 10 November 2011 - 03:59 PM

Did any of you see in the sport news yesterday that FIFA tried to ban the England team from wearing poppies in there next match?

As you could imagine there was a huge uproar over this with David Cameron complaining and Prince William writing to FIFA about how this was a disgrace. Even some (EDL I think) members climbed on top of the FIFA HQ building with a banner saying how offensive this decision was.

But now FIFA have allowed the England team to wear poppies in their next match.

Der_Don
  • Der_Don

#FreeShinji

• Members

Posted 10 November 2011 - 04:25 PM

QUOTE (AlexGTAGamer @ Thursday, Nov 10 2011, 16:59)
Did any of you see in the sport news yesterday that FIFA tried to ban the England team from wearing poppies in there next match?

As you could imagine there was a huge uproar over this with David Cameron complaining and Prince William writing to FIFA about how this was a disgrace. Even some (EDL I think) members climbed on top of the FIFA HQ building with a banner saying how offensive this decision was.

There's always a time to rememeber and honour your war-heros but do they need to do it during a football match?

AlexGTAGamer
  • AlexGTAGamer

If you can't laugh, you might as well cry.

• Members

Posted 10 November 2011 - 04:36 PM

QUOTE (Der_Don @ Thursday, Nov 10 2011, 16:25)
There's always a time to rememeber and honour your war-heros but do they need to do it during a football match?

It's Armistice Day on Sunday and the whole week leading up to then is "Remembrance Week", so wherever the British (Scotland and Wales too are wearing poppies for there next football matches) are, they're more than likely to be wearing a poppy or an armband/wristband to remember their grandparents, brothers, sisters, fathers, friends, whoever, that have died in conflict.

something_else
  • something_else

C M Y K

• The Connection

Posted 10 November 2011 - 04:48 PM

It's wasn't that FIFA specifically banned the Home Nations from wearing poppies, there's a rule that doesn't allow any kind of political, religious or personal message on a player's essential kit. There's a certain degree of hypocricy at play as poppies weren't even considered by th FA before 2006 or so.

Anyway, there'll be a mintue's silence before the game and the players will wear a poppy on a black armband, which doesn't break FIFA's rule.

SweatyPa1ms
  • SweatyPa1ms

Flesh vehicle

• Angels of Death MC
  • None

Posted 11 November 2011 - 03:19 AM

Check this out if you haven't seen it already. I just saw it on Russell Howards Good News.

Rooney's acting = blush.gif

Giggs doesn't do too bad though (he's used to looking worried though lol.gif) and Evra's voice sounds badass.

JoeyLeone25
  • JoeyLeone25

AMF Elder

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 11 November 2011 - 11:31 AM

QUOTE (something_else @ Thursday, Nov 10 2011, 17:48)

It's wasn't that FIFA specifically banned the Home Nations from wearing poppies, there's a rule that doesn't allow any kind of political, religious or personal message on a player's essential kit. There's a certain degree of hypocricy at play as poppies weren't even considered by th FA before 2006 or so.

Anyway, there'll be a mintue's silence before the game and the players will wear a poppy on a black armband, which doesn't break FIFA's rule.

It's a case of being six of one and half a dozen of the other, if FIFA said "yes!" outright then they'd leave themselves open for every nation wishing to add something/change their kits when an important, recurring date in history arises again. But, at the same time, poppies don't have any political or religious connotations and they simply reflect the devastation of war and the day in which one thankfully ended. Personally, I think the idea of wearing poppies on a black armhand is the right choice.

CheesyJ
  • CheesyJ

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 11 November 2011 - 11:33 PM

Are any of you guys on any football forums?

SIKKS66
  • SIKKS66

The Number of the Beast

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 11 November 2011 - 11:42 PM

QUOTE (CheesyJ @ Friday, Nov 11 2011, 23:33)
Are any of you guys on any football forums?

I'm on RedCafe but I don't post that often. More fun to read.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users