• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic
Monedo
  • Monedo

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 February 2010 - 08:38 PM

Hello, i have a problem with gta vice city on windows 7
it doesnt start. i tried already many things like compatibility mode etc. but it doesnt work

MY PC:

Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium
Intel Core i5 2.6 GHZ
Geforce GT 240
6 GB Ram

Greetz Monedo smile.gif

yojo2
  • yojo2

~y

• Members
  • Poland
  • Most Knowledgeable [Technology] 2013
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 26 February 2010 - 08:46 PM

Did you try deleting gta_vc.set file? (it's located in GTA Vice City User Files folder)

Freakorama
  • Freakorama

Freako

• The Yardies
  • Australia

Posted 26 February 2010 - 09:05 PM

QUOTE (Monedo @ Feb 27 2010, 06:38)
Hello, i have a problem with gta vice city on windows 7
it doesnt start. i tried already many things like compatibility mode etc. but it doesnt work

MY PC:

Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium
Intel Core i5 2.6 GHZ
Geforce GT 240
6 GB Ram

Greetz Monedo smile.gif

Generally I've found that GTA VC won't start properly without a no CD crack,

I can't tell you where to get one because the people around here are don't like that sort of thing, even if it helps you actually play the game you paid for.

Spuds725
  • Spuds725

Party Animal

• United-States
  • Contribution Award [GTAF]

Posted 27 February 2010 - 12:59 AM

QUOTE (Futurama_Freak1 @ Feb 26 2010, 17:05)

I can't tell you where to get one because the people around here are don't like that sort of thing, even if it helps you actually play the game you paid for.

+++

regarding your question-- did you set the file compatibility mode to windows 98?? or did you try running windows 7 in "XP mode" and/or both.

What does it do -- hour glass, crash, or absolutely nothing...

It is important in these help threads to put out as much info as possible.

You will likely have to disable one of your cores (assuming you are running a dual or more core processor)

Let me clarify the policy on this... (I had to have it explained to me previously)

Discussion of the crack in working around issues such as this is acceptable, but because of possibility of its use to bypass copyright protection the sharing of links where this may be hosted or talking about where to find it falls under our NO WAREZ policy... as is talking about bypassing copyright protection in general.

Our official policy is that GTA Forums supports the rights of game makers to make money off the products that they produce.

radioman
  • radioman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 07 March 2010 - 06:59 PM Edited by radioman, 09 March 2010 - 09:02 AM.

Spuds has cleared up the Warez Policy, so let me clear up the above misconception.

No GTA game needs a crack to run-The game runs and starts perfectly with the ORIGINAL CD/DVD(SA's case), as I have ran the game on a bare minimum specs. for III and VC/below minimum for SA, with no problems starting and higher hardware for the game. On 4 PC's I have never had a problem with VC (or III and SA for that matter) not starting properly. I have confirmed this on a XP Home SP2 laptop with an AMD Sempron 798MHZ processor, 256MB RAM, and a VIA/SIS video card w/ 32MB vram, a XP Pro laptop w/ a Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0GHZ, 2GB ram, and an Intel GMA video card w/128MB vram, a Vista Home Premium w/ AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core w/ 2.10GHZ, 3GB Ram, an ATI Radeon X1250 video card w/ 1407mb vram, and an 7 home premium laptop w/ AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 2.10GHZ, 3GB ram a and an Nvidia Geforce 8200M G with 1407MB Vram.-Heck, even IV is playable on that Windows 7 laptop. So, that is a misconception.

On-topic, Have you tried updating ALL your drivers-Video card, Sound Card, DX drivers, etc? Have you tried disabling you Anti-Virus/Firewall program, Windows Blinds, etc. any program like that, as they might be interferring with the game? I think it was Justin that posted that in the Pinned Troubleshooting topic-Bam it was Justin that posted that solution Here it is for conveniance:
Solution: This is an indication of a read error. Inspect your disc and try to remove all scratches, smudges, marks etc. It may be a fault of the drive itself, in which case you'll have to replace it with a functioning one.

Alternatively: This often occurs with burnt copies of the game - especially those created with Clone CD. If you have an illegal copy, see the introduction above. Don't mention it here; we don't want to hear about it. Go out and buy the game if you expect it to work for you.

Alternatively: End all non-essential processes, including anti-virus and Window Blinds.

Alternatively: Empty the temporary folder on your hard drive (typically C:\Windows\Temp).

Alternatively: Close any emulation-type software such as Clone CD/DVD, Nero Burning Rom or Daemon Tools.

Alternatively: If you are using Windows 98 or SE, turn off Active Desktop (if it is on).

Alternatively: If you have an alternative disc drive, try installing from that. Some drives have compatibility problems with newer copy protection schemes. You should also update the firmware drivers for your disc drive.

If these don't work, try turning OFF the User Account Control/DEA for Windows 7 and see if that helps, it made the game start faster for me on my Vista Desktop-just Turning User Account Control OFF, not the DEA. If you need help on how to Turn User Account Control and/or DEA OFF, you can Consult this Pinned topic, it has detailed instructions for that there.

Gta_Fanat1c
  • Gta_Fanat1c

Dumbf*ck Magnet

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 March 2010 - 09:05 PM

I have the same problem, 'cept it's on XP SP3. Tried my old No CD also and it didn't start.

radioman
  • radioman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 10 March 2010 - 12:49 AM

QUOTE (Gta_Fanat1c @ Mar 9 2010, 16:05)
I have the same problem, 'cept it's on XP SP3. Tried my old No CD also and it didn't start.

Did you try any of the solutions I posted to above, and the troubleshooting link I posted to? Also, have you tried the Original CD? Also, try the CD on another PC, and if it reads on the other PC, then it is your CD drive and not the disc, if it does not $10 at any Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Target, game stop, etc. Just a heads up.

Gta_Fanat1c
  • Gta_Fanat1c

Dumbf*ck Magnet

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 March 2010 - 02:46 AM

QUOTE (radioman @ Mar 10 2010, 00:49)
QUOTE (Gta_Fanat1c @ Mar 9 2010, 16:05)

Did you try any of the solutions I posted to above, and the troubleshooting link I posted to? Also, have you tried the Original CD? Also, try the CD on another PC, and if it reads on the other PC, then it is your CD drive and not the disc, if it does not $10 at any Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Target, game stop, etc. Just a heads up.

I found out it was my settings file. Thanks for the help, anyway.

Spuds725
  • Spuds725

Party Animal

• United-States

Posted 10 March 2010 - 03:17 AM Edited by Spuds725, 10 March 2010 - 11:33 AM.

Glad you got t fixed... i do recall an issue with this caused by your system (vid card) not supporting vc's native resolution of 640 x 480... in which case you miht be able to get it to work by using a .set file with the resolution changed already ro somethin your card supports.. you can check my posts for a .set file .... i posted links to a few i hosted a few months back....

Hth

I'm posting from my phone or i would find it myself... sorry i didn't recall this previously.

EDIT

Here is my earlier post with links to 2 hosted settings files
http://www.gtaforums...st&p=1059738926

EarlyCuyler
  • EarlyCuyler

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 April 2011 - 02:54 AM

I had the same problem: GTA:VC would not run in windows 7. It was a mystery since I have run it in windows 7 just fine in the past; it just decided to not work today. Deleting my set file solved the problem. Thanks for the advice!

ahmedrepon
  • ahmedrepon

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:52 PM

QUOTE (Monedo @ Friday, Feb 26 2010, 20:38)
Hello, i have a problem with gta vice city on windows 7 profrssional

MY PC:

Windows 7 32 Bit professional
Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2•66GHz¸~2•77 GHz
1 GB Ram

ahmedrepon

MY PC:

1 GB Ram

ahmedrepon

Prometheus
  • Prometheus

• None

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:02 PM

QUOTE (ahmedrepon @ Saturday, May 5 2012, 19:52)
QUOTE (Monedo @ Friday, Feb 26 2010, 20:38)

MY PC:

1 GB Ram

ahmedrepon

MY PC:

1 GB Ram

ahmedrepon

That was two years ago. However you can use one the solutions said above, it must work then.

DBUG2
  • DBUG2

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:52 PM Edited by DBUG2, 19 November 2012 - 03:03 PM.

Radio Man Said:
"No GTA game needs a crack to run-The game runs and starts perfectly with the ORIGINAL CD/DVD(SA's case), as I have ran the game on a bare minimum specs. for III and VC/below minimum for SA, with no problems starting and higher hardware for the game. On 4 PC's I have never had a problem with VC (or III and SA for that matter) not starting properly. I have confirmed this on a XP Home SP2 laptop with an AMD Sempron 798MHZ processor, 256MB RAM, and a VIA/SIS video card w/ 32MB vram, a XP Pro laptop w/ a Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0GHZ, 2GB ram, and an Intel GMA video card w/128MB vram, a Vista Home Premium w/ AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core w/ 2.10GHZ, 3GB Ram, an ATI Radeon X1250 video card w/ 1407mb vram, and an 7 home premium laptop w/ AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 2.10GHZ, 3GB ram a and an Nvidia Geforce 8200M G with 1407MB Vram.-Heck, even IV is playable on that Windows 7 laptop. So, that is a misconception.

On-topic, Have you tried updating ALL your drivers-Video card, Sound Card, DX drivers, etc? Have you tried disabling you Anti-Virus/Firewall program, Windows Blinds, etc. any program like that, as they might be interferring with the game? I think it was Justin that posted that in the Pinned Troubleshooting topic-Bam it was Justin that posted that solution Here it is for conveniance:"

Your sir, quite frankly are a retard. Your first line implies that those who cannot get there games to run are pirates, I think you shouldn't be so firggin' rude and watch how you word your sentences. I for one BOUGHT the GAME LEGITIMATELY and it WOULD NOT RUN WITHOUT A NO CD PATCH. So do your homework BEFORE YOUR ACCUSE OTHERS. The fact that I had to register an account just to put you in your place shows how stupid you really are.
---------------------------------------------
My Specs:
Processor: i3 3.2Ghz Dual-Core, Quad Thread
Graphics: NVIDIA GEFORCE 520GT 2GB 3D/HD 1080P
RAM 8 GB DDR3
DISK DRIVE: DVD-RW DL
HDD: 320GB SATA III
Linux/Unix Ubuntu 64-Bit
---------------------------------------------

San Andreas, put aside; as this is a >>>vice city thread<<<

I have read all the suggestions on this forum and on google and I still can't get the game to run.
A box opens and closes very quickly and nothing happens.
I have installed the game from legitamate cd roms (no-steam)

I have deleted the files in the GTA Vice City user folders as well as the others mentioned.
I have enabled Windows 98 Compatability mode, as well as the others to test those.
I have tried running the game in administrator mode on all compatablity settings and with compatablity off.
I have reinstalled the game and still no joy.

My PC specifications are above, although I think it might be my modern graphics card that is causing it to crash.
------------------------------------------------
I'm going to try DOSBOX although I doubt that will run vice city due to it being designed to run older programs. But what the hell.

Spuds725
  • Spuds725

Party Animal

• United-States

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:15 AM

You registered an account and then bumped a 6 month old topic to Flame someone--- Really?????

Just because you can't get the game to run without a No-Cd crack doesn't mean it isn't possible to get the game to run without a No-Cd crack. Radioman's reputation here is "Sterling"-- his point is that it has been his (our) experience that the game can be made to run on a system without the NO-CD crack and that discussion of it's use "flirts" with GTAFORUMS.COM no warez policy....

Now regarding your system's inability to run the game-- one frequent problem is newer video cards not being able to support VC's native resolution (640x480)--- if you follow the link I posted above (20 months ago) you will fine where I rehosted 2 different gta_VC.set files that will get you past the native resolution check (if that is the problem).

If you wish to post in order to obtain help for your problem... please create a new thread.... as this one is now locked.

Spuds...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users