Quantcast

» «
Photo

~Studio: Q-13 Lounge~

1,625 replies to this topic
meta187
  • meta187

Challenge Convention, Question Authority.

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Gaming] 2013
    Best Member in a Group 2010

Posted 28 February 2010 - 02:17 PM Edited by meta187, 28 February 2010 - 02:21 PM.

@Ats:That Chicane - Offshore got very large circulation on a lot of Chill Out compilations, all the makings of a traditional dance song but with a subdued quality that lends it balance.

@The-King: Thanks for posting the Matisyahu, I usually take it on the chin a bit anytime I've posted him in the past here but that's one of my favorite artists, very on the page with him spiritually. He's very misunderstood by people who haven't really listened to his words. Got his start right here at Stubbs in Austin.

And Portishead, I can't say enough about. I was very instrumental in promoting Dummy in Central Florida when their 1st Album dropped did everything I could to get that record played at any party or event I went to. They aren't the originators of Trip Hop but they are certainly one of the main acts out of Bristol, along with Tricky, Morcheeba and Massive Attack to really bring that perfect sound forward. I had the pleasure of catching them in one of their rare American performances at The Club: Firestone in Orlando, amazing live show, one of the 1st concerts I paid to go see.

Ironically on their latest offering Third , they've very much detatched themselves from the initially smooth Trip Hop sound that made them popular by going for a more acoustic almost folky sound on some tracks and going way experimental with other tracks. To their credit, I think they've kind of reeled it in from the harshness of their self-titled 2nd Album.

Another fav from the GTA IV Soundtrack.

Fairly mainstream hit for her but who gives an Eff. Bad ass song.

user posted image

Cheat
  • Cheat

the only people for me are the mad ones

• The Connection

Posted 28 February 2010 - 02:29 PM

@meta I love that Gil Scott Heron track, sampled in Kanye's 'My Way Home'.

Sorry for not posting in a moment, I didn't have any good tracks, but here is one, also from GTA IV's soundtrack:

I get high whenever I hear this..

Punk-in-Drublic
  • Punk-in-Drublic

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 28 February 2010 - 03:40 PM

I had the pleasure of going to a Dub Step night at a bar in town last night, it was mesmerizing, so good with loads of ket aswell.
Someone recommend me some decent dub step smile.gif

meta187
  • meta187

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 28 February 2010 - 03:52 PM Edited by meta187, 28 February 2010 - 03:55 PM.

Hey it's all good Cheat, Aphex Twin have a really crazy ability to sound completely different on one track than they do on another. I've been trying to place where I've heard that track outside of GTA IV, like I think it was used on a commercial or something.

@Wreckless Jake: Sounds like you had a good time, bring back anything good you find.

One of my fav Common songs remixed in a way that doesn't immediately make me wany to chomp the head off a defenseless hamster.
Great Instrumental lead in.

And just because I didn't quite get enough of Texas native, Erykah Badu , one of the better tracks off her new album.

Classic 96' Joint.

user posted image

Cheat
  • Cheat

• The Connection

Posted 28 February 2010 - 04:37 PM

Wow, meta, Common and Dilla, damn. Loved it.
@Wreckless Jake I listen to a lots of dubstep, and my favorite artist is definetly The Widdler. You find a lot of his great pieces on YouTube, I'd suggest the tracks 'Red Rum' and 'High Grade'.
Also, I've been listening a whole lots of this home dubstep producer called 'Aftee', he has some great songs.

I especially like the reggae samples on this one:

And his masterpiece in my opinion, not too relaxing though, but, if you have stress these wobble basses should blow them the f*ck out of your head.

Anyways, outside of dubstep, to continue the track meta posted (Gil Scott Heron), here is another goldie, also a notable hip hop sample:

Surprising myself from posting this, another chilly movie theme - and no, I'm not talking about Kanye West.

meta187
  • meta187

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 28 February 2010 - 06:07 PM

I'm usually a little picky on dubstep due to it's often repeticious, busy beat format but I was really liking that Sound Killer track and noticed some Beastie Boys and Busta Ryhmes samples on the 2nd one.

And you know a big part of that Scarface Soundtrack beat was sampled for Mobb Deep - G.O.D. Pt. III. I'll post the instrumental on that here and the full version in the Hip Hop topic.

Shirley Bassey is major beyond even her James Bond theme fame, a lot of DJ's dip into her albums for inspiration.

"Lovage is a collaborative project headed by Dan the Automator, under his pseudonym "Nathaniel Merriweather" (a persona he created for the project Handsome Boy Modeling School). The album is called Music to Make Love to Your Old Lady By, which was created in team with Mike Patton (of Faith No More fame) and Jennifer Charles, who both provide vocals. Kid Koala plays turntables and samples and toured with the band for their 13 city U.S. tour. "

user posted image

Cheat
  • Cheat

• The Connection

Posted 28 February 2010 - 06:28 PM

Yeah I actually got that in my mind from listening to 'It's Mine' ft. Nas..
Anyways meta, where the hell do you find those pics to the end of your each post? 'Cause they're friggin nice icon14.gif

meta187
  • meta187

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 28 February 2010 - 07:29 PM Edited by meta187, 28 February 2010 - 07:33 PM.

QUOTE (Cheat @ Feb 28 2010, 18:28)
Anyways meta, where the hell do you find those pics to the end of your each post? 'Cause they're friggin nice icon14.gif

I just do a random Google Image search until I find something I like, just an attempt to set the relaxing, chill mood up in here. Anyone posting feel free to do the same.

Really serene, totally not what I expected from a group named "Dreadzone". tounge.gif

Love anything with Lykke Li attached to it. Hip Hop fans will know her from her song with Drake.
She just looks like she's having genuine fun singing this with elctro-pop star, Robyn here.

If you're interested in laying out diverse beats and getting into DJing Cheat, Ninja Tune Records are the way to go.

user posted image

Canofceleri
  • Canofceleri

OG

• The Connection

Posted 01 March 2010 - 12:39 AM

Yeah, Gil Scott-Heron is great, his new album is very refreshing.

meta187
  • meta187

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 01 March 2010 - 01:39 AM Edited by meta187, 01 March 2010 - 01:41 AM.

QUOTE (Candarelli @ Mar 1 2010, 00:39)
Yeah, Gil Scott-Heron is great, his new album is very refreshing.

Cool Cool drop some of his newer tracks off on your next visit, Cand.

Moving into the evening now, it's been a good weekend I still have a ton of work to get posted before going into the office tomorrow but lets drop off a few more.

A little more Tosca.

Can't believe I haven't dropped any K&D in this thread yet.

Easily in my top ten albums of all time, across all genres just a real trip to listen to from the opening
track to the last track, I never skip one when this is played. Really wish they'd drop a new album.

user posted image

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Boards Of Canada

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 01 March 2010 - 07:40 PM Edited by ThePinkFloydSound, 01 March 2010 - 08:02 PM.

Lee 'Scratch' Perry is coming to town with Max Romeo!! Can't wait. It will be the second time I've seen Max Romeo and he put on a great show with his band before. Two legends sharing the same stage!

Lee Perry dub of Max Romeo's most famous 'I Chase the Devil' aslo sample by Prodigy on Out Of Space

Canofceleri
  • Canofceleri

OG

• The Connection

Posted 01 March 2010 - 10:23 PM

Two of my favorite tracks off of Heron's new album. Most of Heron's material is spoken word like this from what I've heard.

meta187
  • meta187

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 01 March 2010 - 11:41 PM Edited by meta187, 01 March 2010 - 11:43 PM.

QUOTE (ThePinkFloydSound @ Mar 1 2010, 19:40)
Max Romeo's most famous 'I Chase the Devil'

See now I just have to post the original! Love love love that song and I used to work out to the Prodigy, Out of Space track all the time.

Another amazingly smooth Jaylib track.

I think you'll dig this Cand, nice little sample from Taxi Driver buried in there. Thanks for dropping off that Gil Scott-Heron.

user posted image

Vanilla Shake
  • Vanilla Shake

<629

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 02 March 2010 - 12:29 AM Edited by Vanilla Shake, 02 March 2010 - 12:41 AM.

That "Taxi Driver" sample was great, and "Frontier Psychiatrist" is one of my favorites. icon14.gif

I figured these tracks would fit.

You may remember this one from K-JAH West in San Andreas.

Craig
  • Craig

Hell Interface

• Members
  • None
  • Best Writer 2011

Posted 02 March 2010 - 12:51 AM

More Chicane, as seen earlier in this topic.

meta187
  • meta187

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 02 March 2010 - 01:54 AM Edited by meta187, 02 March 2010 - 06:51 AM.

@ Mastercraft: Thanks for stopping in again always coming with a good track. icon14.gif

@Shake: Love that Cymande - Bra it was heavily sampled in my fav Hip Hop Native Toungues, De La Soul's "Change in Speak"

Mos Def took a real chance on this one and I love him for it. My Umi Says being a close 2nd on just an epic come back album for conscious Hip Hop.
I recently said in the Hip Hop topic I hate when emcees do sing songy hooks for most of the song but I'll give Mos a pass who explained at one of his concerts I
went to that he just wasn't going to limit himself, dude had "In Living Color" as his back up band, ffs, so he's definitely not afraid of branching out.

Great Track off a great album, video's mental. In a good way. The sample from Jacobs Ladder on the album version gives me chills everytime.

user posted image

Canofceleri
  • Canofceleri

OG

• The Connection

Posted 02 March 2010 - 02:49 PM

Yeah, that Troublemakers is hot, great use of Bernard Herrmann's score. I'll have to check more into them. Also, that De La Soul is great as well. Look into the Beastie Boys album Paul's Boutique, probably my favorite rap album period these days. I'll drop some off sometime.

meta187
  • meta187

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 02 March 2010 - 03:50 PM

QUOTE (Candarelli @ Mar 2 2010, 14:49)
Look into the Beastie Boys album Paul's Boutique, probably my favorite rap album period these days. I'll drop some off sometime.

Definite classic right there.

Jazz artist, Maceo Parker does his thing on what is probably the best, most diverse and most slept on of the Prince Paul produced De La albums.

I'm not sure how anyone could have missed this in the Gorillaz topic but I'm really loving the new video, Thanks -King- icon14.gif

Nice groovin' track.

user posted image

Vanilla Shake
  • Vanilla Shake

<629

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 02 March 2010 - 04:00 PM

From "Paul's Boutique".

Ats.
  • Ats.

Soldier

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 March 2010 - 04:36 PM

QUOTE (meta187 @ Feb 28 2010, 19:29)
I just do a random Google Image search until I find something I like, just an attempt to set the relaxing, chill mood up in here. Anyone posting feel free to do the same.

And you know what? It works, those pics give this topic a special feel.

Very good and relaxing song:

meta187
  • meta187

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 02 March 2010 - 05:22 PM Edited by meta187, 02 March 2010 - 05:27 PM.

Thanks Ats I really like that Nomak track, I can hear it rolling at the end credits in some epic Anime or something.

Listen to these guys amazing a capella, at around 1:35 something clicks and it sounds like they're coming in
in f*cking Stereo also by the end of the clip they've drawn a crowd in what once was an empty apartment lobby.

I was listening to this album for a couple of years before I actually saw Cosmo Vitelli in a video and he totally
didn't look how I thought he would. This sounds like a classic Michael Jackson track, love it.

Almost a Trip Hop anthem at this point, really put Shadow on the map.

user posted image

Vanilla Shake
  • Vanilla Shake

<629

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 03 March 2010 - 12:41 AM

Great song from a great movie. The club from 25th Hour is what I sometimes envision this topic as being.

Here's a hip-hop milestone.

And here's some more classic Nightmares On Wax

Canofceleri
  • Canofceleri

OG

• The Connection

Posted 03 March 2010 - 01:35 AM

This is, IMHO, the greatest song of all time. okay, well maybe not the greatest, but it's up there. How did the Beastie Boys bring not only their best album but one of hip hop's all time classic albums to a close? With a 12 minute modernist opus of astonishing complexity. Here's most of it. It's long, but honestly... if you've never heard it you owe it to yourself to take the time.

meta187
  • meta187

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 03 March 2010 - 03:40 AM

@Shake: I did a little research trying to find out the name of that Club featured in 25th Hour and it's simply referred to as "the club" in almost every posted script reference. Loving the Pharcyde loop on the NOW track, listened to that quite a bit in the past.

@Cand: I think Paul's Boutique is a favorite for a lot of people because it's pretty much the segway to maturity and a overall more experimental sound for the Beastie's. For better or worse everything changed after that album. That's not a complaint mind you, just an acknowledgment. I did sit and listen to that in it's entirety and got pissed about halfway through because I heard the "Stop that Train" bit that Vanilla Ice sampled to make one incredibly wack rap song.

This song gets me feeling good and defiant eveytime I hear it.

How has Cut Chemist not found it's way in here yet?

Amazing Track, Highly Recommended. This was huge in Orlando when it first dropped.

user posted image

Canofceleri
  • Canofceleri

OG

• The Connection

Posted 03 March 2010 - 04:02 AM

That Telepopmusik is nice although it does sound like it could easily sell a few Nissans. biggrin.gif

Here's some Dan Deacon off his new album Bromst. Goood sh*t.

meta187
  • meta187

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 03 March 2010 - 04:54 AM

QUOTE (Candarelli @ Mar 3 2010, 04:02)
That Telepopmusik is nice although it does sound like it could easily sell a few Nissans. biggrin.gif

Humorously enough it's been featured in quite a few commercials since then.

That Woof Woof track made me really regret being out of weed at the moment. confused.gif

You think a dog literally barking as the backbeat would be grating but it kind of melts into the background about 30 seconds in.

As critical as I can be of Mashups DJ Earworm's a dude who actually does some pretty decent ones.

Some unpretentious sexiness from Etro Anime.

You'd never guess Jay Z and Kanye were fans of these guys.

user posted image

Canofceleri
  • Canofceleri

OG

• The Connection

Posted 03 March 2010 - 03:29 PM Edited by Candarelli, 03 March 2010 - 03:32 PM.

Four sequence tracks from Double Nickels on the Dime. Enjoy.

Cheat
  • Cheat

• The Connection

Posted 03 March 2010 - 03:43 PM

inlove.gif

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Boards Of Canada

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 03 March 2010 - 04:58 PM

QUOTE (Candarelli @ Mar 3 2010, 02:35)
This is, IMHO, the greatest song of all time. okay, well maybe not the greatest, but it's up there. How did the Beastie Boys bring not only their best album but one of hip hop's all time classic albums to a close? With a 12 minute modernist opus of astonishing complexity. Here's most of it. It's long, but honestly... if you've never heard it you owe it to yourself to take the time.

I love Paul's Boutique and this track is on of my all time favourite tracks ever.

meta187
  • meta187

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 03 March 2010 - 08:27 PM Edited by meta187, 03 March 2010 - 10:25 PM.

@Cheat: Always coming with the classic Soul, moosh apprish.

@Cand: My cousin Paul is way off into Punk & Ska and a lot of the traditional punk songs he's played for me usually last no longer than 2 minutes. Do you think Minutemen is kind of a play on words because of this or just a nod to the American Revolution?

Love Esthero, one of the most promising solo artists in the ealy 2k's I really wish she'd drop a new album.

Beautiful song, amazing video. Long time fan, don't love everything she does but I certainly like more than I dislike.

Sounds like a classic Hall & Oates track, love it.

user posted image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users