Photo

GTA:Southwest

7 replies to this topic
Mafioso86
  • Mafioso86

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 07 February 2010 - 06:40 AM

A few people, myself included have suggested that the Southwest, including parts of both the US and Mexico, and dealing with drug cartels, immigration and border crossing would make a cool setting for GTAV. I've also been reading a lot about Red Dead Redemption recently, and I came up with an idea. Seeing as GTA and Manhunt basically take place in the same universe (Manhunt being in Carcer City, GTA mentioning Carcer City, burnt out Stallions being seen in Manhunt, etc), one could theorize that the same applies to the Red Dead Series. Now there has been no map released yet for RDR, but it it said to be twice the size of San Andreas and be divided up into three areas; New Austin (Texas), Nuevo Parasio (Mexico), and West Elizabeth (Colorado/Rocky Mountains). Keeping in mind that RDR takes place in the early 1900s, could Rockstar take the same geographic map, but add in paved roads, cities, cars, etc to make it set in 2011/12? I wouldn't bet on this happening, but I did think that it was a really cool idea. I'd love to see a game like this with a Mexican/Central American protagonist who tries to come to the US for the American Dream, but inevitably gets drawn into organized crime. Some of you might say that that echoes GTAIV to closely, but I think it would be interesting to see that as a theme across this series of GTA games.

Thatguy238
  • Thatguy238

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 07 February 2010 - 07:13 AM

I actually think it'd be a really cool idea as well, but I would be concerned that too many people would unfairly criticize them for somehow being "lazy" for reusing the geography.

Regardless, thumbs up from me.

Rocks-tar
  • Rocks-tar

Marston

• Members

Posted 07 February 2010 - 09:49 AM

Red Dead Redemption IS "Grand Theft Auto: Texas".
The golden age of Texas, it was during the 19th century and early 20th century. Not later. Texas in 2011 would be bad.

GTA_dog
  • GTA_dog

Est. 93

• Members

Posted 07 February 2010 - 05:55 PM

QUOTE (Rocks-tar @ Feb 7 2010, 04:49)
Red Dead Redemption IS "Grand Theft Auto: Texas".
The golden age of Texas, it was during the 19th century and early 20th century. Not later. Texas in 2011 would be bad.

Uhm, Texas is one of the 50 states in America. It's still around today. I mean it's only 2010 but 2011 is next year.

maxopower
  • maxopower

I believe!

• Members

Posted 07 February 2010 - 06:27 PM

Normally I would have written this:

Well as usually, you seam to forget that GTA is all about the media and cultural references. You got to see the world through the eyes of the media to understand the GTA universe, and through those pair of eyes, the Southwest  is nothing but an empty sh*t hole of a desert, talked about and populated, by conservative nuts, and Hillbillies.

There’s simply not enough source material to base a 100+ hour GTA on the Southwest . A GTA needs more then stupid accents, moon water and small revolting cities to make a good game.

But that would not be fair, because I would be lying, not about that empty desert, stupid accents, revolting cities thing. But about the lack of source material.
There’s lots of good movies Rockstar could base their game on. There’s lots of stories who need to be told. And There’s lots of stereotypes just waiting around to get exploited.

But I don’t think we’ll get it next, two Rockstar made, Southwest based games in one year, is a little to much.

And I want to mention one Movie title for those of you who don’t think a game in the “modern” Southwest would be any good. No Country For Old Men, I know it’s not enough, but it’s definitely a great start.

Akavari
  • Akavari

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 February 2010 - 07:19 PM

QUOTE (maxopower @ Feb 7 2010, 18:27)
But that would not be fair, because I would be lying, not about that empty desert, stupid accents, revolting cities thing. But about the lack of source material.
There’s lots of good movies Rockstar could base their game on. There’s lots of stories who need to be told. And There’s lots of stereotypes just waiting around to get exploited.

But I don’t think we’ll get it next, two Rockstar made, Southwest based games in one year, is a little to much.

And I want to mention one Movie title for those of you who don’t think a game in the “modern” Southwest would be any good. No Country For Old Men, I know it’s not enough, but it’s definitely a great start.

Even though No Country for Old Men takes place in 1980? I would say El Mariachi, Desperado, and other Mexican action movies would be a good basis for a GTA in Mexico

Mafioso86
  • Mafioso86

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 07 February 2010 - 07:25 PM Edited by Mafioso86, 07 February 2010 - 07:47 PM.

Well as usually, you seam to forget that GTA is all about the media and cultural references. You got to see the world through the eyes of the media to understand the GTA universe, and through those pair of eyes, the Southwest  is nothing but an empty sh*t hole of a desert, talked about and populated, by conservative nuts, and Hillbillies.

There’s simply not enough source material to base a 100+ hour GTA on the Southwest . A GTA needs more then stupid accents, moon water and small revolting cities to make a good game.

Don't get me wrong, I hate rednecks and cowboys as much as the next guy... but that's the whole beauty of including a Mexican based area with a Mexican or Central American protagonist. Not only do you have some more variety to it than just the US Southwest... but you also have the opportunity as an hispanic immigrant to be unloading firearms into US Border Patrol, skinheads, racist bikers, the "minute men"/"tea party" nutjobs, and rednecks in general. As far as cities an source material... assuming the went with the map they could include cities based on San Antonio, Houston, Denver, and Laredo/Nuevo Laredo. While I don't know much about Denver other than it being in the mountains, Houston is the fourth largest city in the United States and is pretty diverse and modern... far more like New York, LA, Miami, Chicago, etc; than say Dallas which is probably more what you seem worried about. The reasons why Laredo and San Anotnio would make interesting cities relates to source material. These cities are directly on the border and are major centers of drug trafficking and cartel activity. There is a gang called the Zetas that have been terrorizing Laredo recently and would be awesome to see in a GTA game. These guys are former Mexican special forces that ditched the military because the cartels were offering them more money to work as mercenaries and eventually developed into a gang that worships the "Saint of Death." They use modern military hardware like armored Humvees and M4s and have been known to put people into barrels of gasoline and then light the whole thing on fire. They'd make an excellent antagonist in a game like this in my opinion.

maxopower
  • maxopower

I believe!

• Members

Posted 07 February 2010 - 07:53 PM Edited by maxopower, 07 February 2010 - 08:01 PM.

QUOTE (Mafioso86 @ Feb 7 2010, 19:25)

Don't get me wrong, I hate rednecks and cowboys as much as the next guy... but that's the whole beauty of including a Mexican based area with a Mexican or Central American protagonist. Not only do you have some more variety to it than just the US Southwest... but you also have the opportunity as an hispanic immigrant to be unloading firearms into US Border Patrol, skinheads, racist bikers, the "minute men"/"tea party" nutjobs, and rednecks in general. As far as cities an source material... assuming the went with the map they could include cities based on San Antonio, Houston, Denver, and Laredo/Nuevo Laredo. While I don't know much about Denver other than it being in the mountains, Houston is the fourth largest city in the United States and is pretty diverse and modern... far more like New York, LA, Miami, Chicago, etc; than say Dallas which is probably more what you seem worried about. The reasons why Laredo and San Anotnio would make interesting cities relates to source material. These cities are directly on the border and are major centers of drug trafficking and cartel activity. There is a gang called the Zetas that have been terrorizing Laredo recently and would be awesome to see in a GTA game. These guys are former Mexican special forces that ditched the military because the cartels were offering them more money to work as mercenaries and eventually developed into a gang that worships the "Saint of Death." They use modern military hardware like armored Humvees and M4s and have been known to put people into barrels of gasoline and then light the whole thing on fire. They'd make an excellent antagonist in a game like this in my opinion.

I think a little bit or more of Mexico would be great, and extremely necessary for a GTA: Southwest to work. GTA is all about the Media and how they chooses to portrait the world, how films and TV shows show us the “real” world. And that is why Mexico is the perfect (partly) location for a GTA, lots of movies have taken place in Mexico, I couldn’t imagine a hole GTA taking place in Mexico, but 50:50 Mexico America, or less.

Lots of interesting source material, and subjects to touch upon. Drugs and people smuggling, mob bosses and criminals wanting to flee the states. Lots of crazy Hispanics, and fat white tourists.

---------------

I recently re-watched A Clockwork Orange, and found this quote very appealing, I think it sums up the Grand Theft Auto series just right.

Alex: It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users