• Most Helpful [GTA] 2013
    Most Helpful [Modding] 2013
    Most Talented [Modding] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"
    Best Vehicle 2013 "III Aircraft"
    Most Helpful [Modding] 2012
    Modder of the Year 2012

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:50 PM

Nah, something HUD-related too, more than an applied opacity.

Compare it with TheJAMESGM's pic :)

Well, I would say the HUD is scaled properly now, as it is in the PS2 version. :D
hudcmprb3slintpic4cjql.jpg

joker-slow-clap.gif
  • Mega likes this

Keith Ward
  • Keith Ward

Mark Ass Bitch Punk Trick Busta Fool

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:05 PM

Gotta love those interiors...

https://www.youtube....h?v=kZwhNFOn4ik

format c:
  • format c:

Supernaut

• Feroci Racing
  • Brazil

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:18 PM

Let me ask... what is the final goal of this conversion? Bring a full working bug free complete VCS to PC?

Isn't this some kind of piracy? I mean, you guys are bringing a game for the PC that wasn't originally released for PC. And people with a pirated SA copy can run it too.

Don't get me wrong, I'm amazed with this work.. but you guys can end up facing some troubles related to piracy.

Ss4gogeta0
  • Ss4gogeta0

Huelga birds in the air and we're chargin with spears

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:21 PM

Let me ask... what is the final goal of this conversion? Bring a full working bug free complete VCS to PC?

Isn't this some kind of piracy? I mean, you guys are bringing a game for the PC that wasn't originally released for PC. And people with a pirated SA copy can run it too.

Don't get me wrong, I'm amazed with this work.. but you guys can end up facing some troubles related to piracy.

nahh its still a mod to the core... wouldnt be any trouble to be honest

format c:
  • format c:

Supernaut

• Feroci Racing
  • Brazil

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:26 PM

I don't know about this stuff, but VCS being a Playstation exclusive, Sony must have some copyrighted stuff.

On a hypothetical worst case scenario, Sony can get a little upset with this.

eagle6446
  • eagle6446

rock on

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:49 PM

Quite honestly, with all that hype around vcs pc edition, I tend to believe R* researchers already know that a conversion like this is taking place. They definitely are aware of the gta modding scene existence. But strangely enough, concerning all total conversions and modifications bringing one gta into another engine I do not really recollect any issues or even signs that they mind such activities. Maybe they turn a blind eye to it? I personally believe that some part of us already owns the original game along with the console, and those who don't wouldn't normally go and buy themselves the device just to play gta on it. Maybe saying so is a bit far-fetched, but frankly, I tend to believe some people may actually go for it, being encouraged by the mod, concerning it as a showcase of somethin that is already available in a different form, so...
And people having pirated SA have the issue of having a pirated SA without even modding it. Would it be a double piracy then? ;)

Ss4gogeta0
  • Ss4gogeta0

Huelga birds in the air and we're chargin with spears

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:33 AM

Quite honestly, with all that hype around vcs pc edition, I tend to believe R* researchers already know that a conversion like this is taking place. They definitely are aware of the gta modding scene existence. But strangely enough, concerning all total conversions and modifications bringing one gta into another engine I do not really recollect any issues or even signs that they mind such activities. Maybe they turn a blind eye to it? I personally believe that some part of us already owns the original game along with the console, and those who don't wouldn't normally go and buy themselves the device just to play gta on it. Maybe saying so is a bit far-fetched, but frankly, I tend to believe some people may actually go for it, being encouraged by the mod, concerning it as a showcase of somethin that is already available in a different form, so...
And people having pirated SA have the issue of having a pirated SA without even modding it. Would it be a double piracy then? ;)

Rockstar has had a bit of a pro modding stance... hell they even display mods on their own site... Just like the TC where they converted the GTA 2 map to IV...

anyway I like to think of it as a similar situation to when Capcom was asked by a guy to modify Resident evil Outbreak to open online connectivity... they said go ahead as long as he doesnt claim ownership/sell/pirate anything... 

KawakSallas
  • KawakSallas

Kifflom

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:36 AM

Big companies likes two things: Money and Advertisement.

VCS PC to Rockstar = Free advertisement.

VCS PC to Sony = Lost money.

But I don't think this project will have any legal issues.

RonBWL
  • RonBWL

Brave Wholeheartedly Loser

• Members

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:01 PM

Big companies likes two things: Money and Advertisement.

VCS PC to Rockstar = Free advertisement.

VCS PC to Sony = Lost money.

But I don't think this project will have any legal issues.

Only when the mod is 100% complete. In such case it becomes a game (even though still requires original SA copy), which of course would cause loss income for PS2 version. We are not even near 25% finished yet, so at this time Sony has nothing to worry about, whereas Rockstar gets lots of free advertisements plus more SA copies sold on Steam or similar

HM128
  • HM128

alovelyday

• Members
  • None
  • Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:16 PM Edited by HackMan128, 22 November 2013 - 12:21 PM.

Isn't this some kind of piracy? I mean, you guys are bringing a game for the PC that wasn't originally released for PC.

Converting stuff from ps2 to pc is difficult, so the success is the rights.

Silent
  • Silent

Moderating Cookie Monster

• Feroci Racing
  • Poland
    Modder of the Year 2012

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:11 PM

Seeing how R* probably DOES know about the mod (someone linked to the topic in Newswire comments and they replied "Nice!") and does nothing, I doubt it'll ever be an issue.
But that's also why we're against shipping an entire game as a package (although we could do that with ease) so people still have to own a GTA game. And people running VCSPC on a pirated SA is NOT our concern really.

KawakSallas
  • KawakSallas

Kifflom

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:18 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a pirate SA copy is just an no cd cracked exe, right?

RonBWL
  • RonBWL

• Members

Posted 22 November 2013 - 02:19 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a pirate SA copy is just an no cd cracked exe, right?

Using a no-cd crack is fine as long as you own the original disc. Getting the full game off somewhere and use it to bypass CD check is not (But again, nobody stops you from doing it)

KawakSallas
  • KawakSallas

Kifflom

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 November 2013 - 02:45 PM

Yes, but my question is, comparing the retail and the pirated copy, the only difference is the exe? No changes on other files?

Usman55
  • Usman55

Thug

• Members

Posted 22 November 2013 - 02:54 PM

I think that's it, only the exe is different.

bastien
  • bastien

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:38 PM Edited by bastien, 22 November 2013 - 07:40 PM.

Too much light no ?

VCS PC

1385149040-sans-titre-1.png

Original psp version

1385149040-sans-titre-2.png

[PTM]Al_Pacino
  • [PTM]Al_Pacino

Vice City Stories PC Edition supporter

• Members

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:07 PM

Also in order to properly enlighten those billboards you should use a technic that Rockstar also used in GTA III, when a certain time of the day is reached, the texture of the billboard changes to a brighter version so it looks like the lights on top are really doing its effect.

TJGM
  • TJGM

GTA Mods Led-By

• Feroci Racing
  • Ireland

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:13 PM

Also in order to properly enlighten those billboards you should use a technic that Rockstar also used in GTA III, when a certain time of the day is reached, the texture of the billboard changes to a brighter version so it looks like the lights on top are really doing its effect.

Pretty sure that's night vertex. I don't think you can change the texture of models in the 3d era games, only the model can be turned on/off at a certain time.

[PTM]Al_Pacino
  • [PTM]Al_Pacino

• Members

Posted 22 November 2013 - 11:03 PM Edited by [PTM]Al_Pacino, 22 November 2013 - 11:03 PM.

Night vertex only works for skins and cars. It doesnt work for map objects afaik.

Even if it's only the model that can be turned on/off you can still apply another texture to it after turning off and then on. I believe that's how GTA III does it when it's night time on Stauton Island near the "Times Square" imitation.

Or they simply make a copy of the object and apply the brighter texture to it, replacing the daylight model.

sharpie_eastern
  • sharpie_eastern

Do it thyself

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 November 2013 - 08:12 AM Edited by sharpie_eastern, 23 November 2013 - 08:14 AM.

Too much light no ?

Its the 2dfx. It looks like the psp's light might be dimmer

TJGM
  • TJGM

GTA Mods Led-By

• Feroci Racing
  • Ireland

Posted 23 November 2013 - 08:21 AM

Night vertex only works for skins and cars. It doesnt work for map objects afaik.

Even if it's only the model that can be turned on/off you can still apply another texture to it after turning off and then on. I believe that's how GTA III does it when it's night time on Stauton Island near the "Times Square" imitation.

Or they simply make a copy of the object and apply the brighter texture to it, replacing the daylight model.

Nope. Night vertex works for all .dff's. If they were to have 4-5 copies for each object with a darker texture each time then re-texture mods would take extra long and the game size would be much larger.

HM128
  • HM128

alovelyday

• Members
  • None
  • Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 23 November 2013 - 10:28 AM Edited by HackMan128, 23 November 2013 - 10:41 AM.

VCS PS2 (and PSP probably too) hasn't Night Vertex Colors. San Andreas engine allows to use Night Vertex Colors, mainly for map objects.

RonBWL
  • RonBWL

• Members

Posted 23 November 2013 - 01:13 PM

Yes, but my question is, comparing the retail and the pirated copy, the only difference is the exe? No changes on other files?

In the old days, one of the few methods to make sure people buy your game is an EXE that requires game DVD in your driver. So yeah, that EXE is the key

[PTM]Al_Pacino
  • [PTM]Al_Pacino

• Members

Posted 23 November 2013 - 03:35 PM

Nope. Night vertex works for all .dff's. If they were to have 4-5 copies for each object with a darker texture each time then re-texture mods would take extra long and the game size would be much larger.

Hmm. Then why dont neon lights aren't reflected in the walls (im talking about the neons added in SA-MP for cars).

They reflect on peds and cars but not on solid objects like ground and building walls. Perhaps night vertex isnt enabled for those objects?

TJGM
  • TJGM

GTA Mods Led-By

• Feroci Racing
  • Ireland

Posted 23 November 2013 - 03:37 PM Edited by TheJAMESGM, 23 November 2013 - 03:39 PM.

Hmm. Then why dont neon lights aren't reflected in the walls (im talking about the neons added in SA-MP for cars).

They reflect on peds and cars but not on solid objects like ground and building walls. Perhaps night vertex isnt enabled for those objects?

Because that's not night vertex. I'm not actually sure what SAMP uses for those neon lights under cars, but it only applies the light from them on objects that SA would consider 'dynamic' in the Timecyc. Peds, cars, etc..

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

1 627 826 3789

• BUSTED!
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013

Posted 25 November 2013 - 07:31 PM

OK, this thread has kinda gone in a weird direction, let's clear some of this stuff up:

In regards to legal side, I'm not going to lie, it could be considered a bad thing, and who knows, if we get to a certain point, we could be asked to shut down the project (see the likes of SEGA with the Streets of Rage Remake) but as far as I'm aware for now, SOME people at Rockstar know about the project and think it's "cool" and "interesting", that's about it so far, but we DO make sure the mod requires San Andreas, how you obtain that is up to you, but thie installer will actually seek out the registry values for both the installed game AND the Steam version and we pretty much encourage people to buy the Steam version of San Andreas to use of this mod as that's where a lot of testing (at least for me) is done on.

Yes, the next update has finally fixed the HUD size, and now both the HUD and Radar have a similar transparency value to the original VCS, so those of you that wanted that should be happy to hear.

As for the lighting, that's actually one of the slight corrections made, at least with placement, on PSP/PS2 some of those billboard lights actually appear IN or BEHIND the billboard, we've just moved them back to where they should be. :p

As for the GTA3 thing, I've not actually heard of that, or recall it, anyone care to post an example because the game certainly doesn't use two texture for them, so it must be a pre-lighting thing.

VERSA
  • VERSA

Flying Ped in Space

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 November 2013 - 09:08 PM

OMG! New HUD with translucency! Finally! I asked you about it so many times and you finally made it!  :D Thank you guys, so much thank you! When the update with new hud will be ready? can't wait to try it  :cool:

Keith Ward
  • Keith Ward

Mark Ass Bitch Punk Trick Busta Fool

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 November 2013 - 03:17 AM

Why don't you just contact Rockstar and discuss what possible limitations you may or may not have?

Heck, wouldn't it be great if they were impressed enough to work with you (or fund you) like Valve did with that Half-Life remake?

If it was allowed, I'd definitely want to throw a few dollars your way to grease the cogs a little...

• Silent likes this

Silent
  • Silent

Moderating Cookie Monster

• Feroci Racing
  • Poland