» «
Photo

The National Guard

20 replies to this topic
Stig
  • Stig

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 01 February 2010 - 03:48 AM

Hey everyone. In about 4 days I'll be turning 17, and I'm thinking about enlisting into the National Guard.

I just want to know if there's anybody on here who has enlisted or is currently enlisted in the National Guard.

I want to know what to expect, how are Basic's Training? What are the benefits? What is it like being in the National Guard? Etc. Things like that. I just wanna know so I can talk to my parents about it and tell them the positives of enlisting and things of that sort because I've always wanted to enlist in the National Guard and now it's finally becoming a possible thing for me.

So, let me know what you think, or if you've ever enlisted and want to tell me what it's like.

Thanks

SanAndreasManiac
  • SanAndreasManiac

Now I am become death, destroyer of the worlds

• Members

Posted 01 February 2010 - 04:23 AM

national guard?
fool, they're weekend soldiers!

Stig
  • Stig

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 01 February 2010 - 04:38 AM

QUOTE (SanAndreasManiac @ Feb 1 2010, 04:23)
national guard?

Like you have any experience in the matter.

Maybe I'll come to you if I need to know the inner workings of Grove Street. dozingoff.gif

makeshyft
  • makeshyft

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct

Posted 01 February 2010 - 04:39 AM

Snip, snap INDEED!

Sweets
  • Sweets

Pяopagaиda Iиc.

• Feroci Racing
  • Unknown

Posted 01 February 2010 - 06:29 AM

Don't do it, you'll get shipped of to Iraq and get blown up by an IED.

And by Iraq I mean Ohio. And by blown up by an IED I mean made to work crowd control.

Seriously though, even in the guard there's a decent chance of you being involuntarily activated and sent to Iraq or Afghanistan for two years. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I'm just saying that if you're thinking of doing it because you bought that "One weekend a month, two weeks a year" crap, think again.

Oddsock
  • Oddsock

Fresh and strong the world we seize

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 February 2010 - 06:40 AM

QUOTE (RadioIsotope @ Jan 31 2010, 23:38)
QUOTE (SanAndreasManiac @ Feb 1 2010, 04:23)
national guard?

Like you have any experience in the matter.

Maybe I'll come to you if I need to know the inner workings of Grove Street. dozingoff.gif

Hahaha, excellent.

SanAndreasManiac, do yourself a favor and don't try insulting my older brother when you haven't walked in his shoes.

@OP, my brother would talk with you happily but right now he's heading to Ft. Polk in Louisiana for training (not basic, he graduated from that about two years ago) before he's shipped to Afghanistan. He would be able to give you the most information but let me try to do what I can based off what he has told me:

Basic training is tough as you'd expect, not sure what else to tell you. If you go to AIT afterwards, which is Advanced Individual Training for your MOS (Military Occupational Specialty), you'll find it is a lot more relaxed and enjoyable than basic. You go to AIT if your MOS requires special training, so a grunt infantryman wouldn't receive it but my brother who is a 13F/Forward Observer had to go for several weeks to learn extra regarding map reading and proper communications for calling in fire support.

Benefits certainly come in the form of money. My brother when going to college was not just getting a full ride because of the Guard, but they were also giving him money to go, several hundred dollars worth. In exchange he had to go to what he called a "Guard weekend" once a month and do various Guard activities from training to standing around and doing chores.

My bro loves it in the Guard but as much as he comes back with great stories he comes back irritated by a lot of bureaucracy, incompetence, and overall foolishness he sees often because there are superiors who abuse their power or are simply incompetent. Still, he tells us that it is getting fixed as time goes on and that he can still rely on his "Guard buddies" for some morale boosting.

He has also told me that joining the Guard or any other military branch should be done so with a complete willingness and desire to do so. Any kind of "ahh maybe" attitude should be taken as "don't join," because once you're in it is a huge commitment that will change you and influence your life greatly, and if you aren't in all the way, you're probably going to suffer more than you are grow. My brother did it as a sort of last resort after dropping out of college twice and deciding he didn't want to work as a cashier at Petco forever. After graduating from basic he has told me he wouldn't think twice about the decision again and I have seen it change him into a happier and better person, going back to college and doing things that make him enjoy life.

Still, he has now had to halt all that to go to Afghanistan. In a year we'll see how he is, but right now I doubt he'd be anywhere else with the same sense of fulfillment and purpose.

So that is my bro and what I can remember off the top of my head. Anything else and I'd be happy to oblige. If anything I suggest that you talk to other people in the Guard who are NOT looking to straight up recruit you. They won't lie and push you just to get their bonus and pay raise.

ghost of delete key
  • ghost of delete key

ಠ_ಠ ... otter ...

• The Connection

Posted 01 February 2010 - 09:47 AM

You join the National Guard if you want a military record and benifits without having to worry about seeing too much real action.

You join the Coast Guard for the same, and for the fuzzy warm feeling you get from interrupting the supply of narcotics and illegal aliens.

You join the Army for the chance to defend your country on the battle lines, but you're only skilled enough to carry a 150 pound backpack and can aim.

You join the Air Force because you can't carry a 150 pound backpack, and are too geeky to aim without a computer.

You join the Marine Corps because you're too skilled to join the aforementioned services, and you're too crazy to care that you'll be the first one to be shot at.

You join the Navy because you you're a salty mad motherf*cker who knows how to live on the hairy edge and come home alive. No matter where you are in what ocean, you're never more than 5 miles away from land... straight down. You don't sleep with your gun, you sleep in it. You know firsthand that fire and water mix very well. Your credo is "those who shoot from far away live to shoot another day, and you know that a Marine's paycheck says "Department of the Navy" on it.

Naah, I'm not biased. It's fact. smile.gif

liam-aka-spidie
  • liam-aka-spidie

TeC , Knows How To Party, In The City Of LC.

• Members

Posted 01 February 2010 - 02:06 PM

QUOTE (ghost of delete key @ Feb 1 2010, 09:47)
You join the National Guard if you want a military record and benifits without having to worry about seeing too much real action.

You join the Coast Guard for the same, and for the fuzzy warm feeling you get from interrupting the supply of narcotics and illegal aliens.

You join the Army for the chance to defend your country on the battle lines, but you're only skilled enough to carry a 150 pound backpack and can aim.

You join the Air Force because you can't carry a 150 pound backpack, and are too geeky to aim without a computer.

You join the Marine Corps because you're too skilled to join the aforementioned services, and you're too crazy to care that you'll be the first one to be shot at.

You join the Navy because you you're a salty mad motherf*cker who knows how to live on the hairy edge and come home alive. No matter where you are in what ocean, you're never more than 5 miles away from land... straight down. You don't sleep with your gun, you sleep in it. You know firsthand that fire and water mix very well. Your credo is "those who shoot from far away live to shoot another day, and you know that a Marine's paycheck says "Department of the Navy" on it.

I think your take on the Air force there is Just stupid. I may not be American but over here the Armed Forces see the R.A.F as a Save Our A$$es service, maybe the american airforce is differnt, I dont know. But at the end of the day they take on huge risks.

makeshyft
  • makeshyft

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct

Posted 01 February 2010 - 02:10 PM

QUOTE (ghost of delete key @ Feb 1 2010, 19:47)

Plenty of hairy back-puss in the Navy, too.

Oddsock
  • Oddsock

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 February 2010 - 02:13 PM

Very funny ghost. I'm glad I don't have to take you seriously.

Nowadays the Marine Corps isn't for the skilled, it's for all the asshole who think they're tough sh*t and want to kill Chinese, even though we're in Iraq and Afghanistan, and that is just what my brother and I have observed. Now would you mind adding something USEFUL to the table?

jimmy.
  • jimmy.

?

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 01 February 2010 - 02:37 PM

Not sure why you'd join the military at this time, unless you're out of choices. You have a high chance of being shipped out to Afghanistan and Iraq, which are NOT nice places (and which you will be directly exacerbating by adding your body as cannon fodder).

liam-aka-spidie
  • liam-aka-spidie

TeC , Knows How To Party, In The City Of LC.

• Members

Posted 01 February 2010 - 02:40 PM

QUOTE (jimmy. @ Feb 1 2010, 14:37)
Not sure why you'd join the military at this time, unless you're out of choices. You have a high chance of being shipped out to Afghanistan and Iraq, which are NOT nice places (and which you will be directly exacerbating by adding your body as cannon fodder).

Well you cant not expect to be sent out... Its your job.

maxopower
  • maxopower

I believe!

• Members

Posted 01 February 2010 - 03:28 PM

QUOTE (ghost of delete key @ Feb 1 2010, 09:47)

Thatís exactly why I want to join the Air Force

SagaciousKJB
  • SagaciousKJB

Captain tl;dr

• The Connection

Posted 01 February 2010 - 04:56 PM

QUOTE (ghost of delete key @ Feb 1 2010, 02:47)

That's not what I heard most men join the Navy for...

user posted image

lol

Besides, I thought the Marines were just a part of the Navy, like the SEALS.

Either way considering they lead most invasion forces, my guess is the guys that want to join the Marines are the ones that would volunteer to be cannon fodder.

Also what about the peace corps?

Mike Tequeli
  • Mike Tequeli

American non-Voter at Heart

• The Connection

Posted 01 February 2010 - 05:08 PM

QUOTE (OdDsOcK @ Feb 1 2010, 14:13)

Nowadays the Marine Corps isn't for the skilled, it's for all the asshole who think they're tough sh*t and want to kill Chinese, even though we're in Iraq and Afghanistan, and that is just what my brother and I have observed. Now would you mind adding something USEFUL to the table?

There is no reason to be an asshole. Just because your interpretation of the marine corp differs from him doesn't mean it's not worth taking seriously, even in a tongue in cheek manner. From what I hear though the national guard does have a fairly strong chance of serving and potentially doing so with less equipment. I remember hearing about some controversy over the absolute garbage equipment the national guard had to deal with in Iraq.

Rebel
  • Rebel

Woop Woop!

• Members
  • Olympics

Posted 01 February 2010 - 07:29 PM

Your best bet on finding out about the National Guard is probably to look at their website or go down to your local recruitment office and get some info from them on the questions you have. I don't see why your parents wouldn't want you to join up, plus you can always start your application with joining while in school and then go off to basic and what not after you've finished school.

Don't just join thinking that its the easiest option for not getting deployed in conflict areas though, since that's not the case. I mean, if people want to join any force they should always think that they could get deployed in conflict areas when the countries in a war.

Oddsock
  • Oddsock

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 February 2010 - 10:42 PM

QUOTE (Mike Tequeli @ Feb 1 2010, 12:08)
QUOTE (OdDsOcK @ Feb 1 2010, 14:13)

There is no reason to be an asshole. Just because your interpretation of the marine corp differs from him doesn't mean it's not worth taking seriously, even in a tongue in cheek manner. From what I hear though the national guard does have a fairly strong chance of serving and potentially doing so with less equipment. I remember hearing about some controversy over the absolute garbage equipment the national guard had to deal with in Iraq.

My brother would be inclined to disagree with you. He has not yet complained about poor equipment, just old equipment like his "new" pistol that has clearly seen better days. When it comes to equipment my brother doesn't lament about bad equipment but a lack of or delay in getting it often caused by bureaucracy and incompetent superiors. If anything, the Marine Corps is known for their abilities to improvise in the field with limited equipment, which while admirable only highlights how they simply don't get what they need.

If my brother is supplied with bad equipment, you'll be the first to know after he tells me.

ghost of delete key
  • ghost of delete key

ಠ_ಠ ... otter ...

• The Connection

Posted 02 February 2010 - 07:52 AM

QUOTE (liam-aka-spidie @ Feb 1 2010, 09:06)
I think your take on the Air force there is Just stupid. I may not be American but over here the Armed Forces see the R.A.F as a Save Our A$$es service, maybe the american airforce is differnt, I dont know. But at the end of the day they take on huge risks.

Have you been to the recruit depot to check out the physical/tech requirements for enlistment?
When I went, the Air Force required you can lift 75 lbs. waist-high. The Navy requirement was 75 lbs overhead and 100 lbs. waist high. Also, the Air Force has just about the largest inventory of the most advanced tech in the military, and they get cursory how-to-save-your-ass training in the off chance they find themselves on the ground in a bad neighborhood, so...

QUOTE (makeshyft)
Plenty of hairy back-puss in the Navy, too.

Don't ask, don't tell. Thank Clinton. Seriously, that's the quickest way to get an Other Than Honorable in the nav, other than smoking crack on the quarterdeck. NIS won't tolerate either.

QUOTE (OdDsOcK )

Funny story... one afternoon in Tijuana, some shipmates and I were slugging down Mexico-cheap black russians in one of those dank strip pits where the chicks all look like Fred Flintstone in lingerie. There was a group of very loud jarheads just out of boot camp sitting the other side of the dive, all wearing the obligatory Bulldog t-shirts so you can be sure they're Marines, as if you couldn't tell.

One of then finally gets his drunk ass up to the stage, puts a dollar bill between his teeth and leans way in. The dancer (a dainty 250-pounder with double elbows) ignores him while she ripples for the dudes on the other side.
This leatherneck tried everything to get her attention, to no avail. She's too busy squirting breast milk into the other patrons' beer bottles.
Finally this smart guy turns around with the bill back in his mouth, leans his sorry self back and lays on the edge of the stage, waving his hands around.
Finally, the dancer makes her way over to him, and starts doing a squat-dance over his head.
This dopey dude made like he was going to grab her, so she backs up a bit to tease, and then she straddles his head, dips down nearly to his chin, takes the dollar, then stands up and simply drops like a side of beef square on his face. The dudes feet kicked up like a freakin' cartoon character, and she kept bouncing on his face like a Hippity-Hop, full force. Then she got up, and kept on doing her thing around the stage like before.

Dude was pissed, and he slithered quietly back to his seat rubbing his nose, while the entire placed laughed in hysterics at the way he got his comeuppance.

Was that useful enough? tounge.gif

QUOTE (SagaciousKJB)
That's not what I heard most men join the Navy for...

<snarky pic>

The Member's Pictures thread is that-a-way --> biggrin.gif

Yeah, the Marines are a separate branch of the military, like the Navy, but both are administered by the Department of the Navy. Historically speaking, they're the part of the Navy that gets inserted on land. The Navy are the ones who get them there, and sail off to wreck the other team's canoes.

And the Peace Corps? cry.gif
They're not military, of course.
That's for missionaries and Hippies. Either way, their job is to persuade others to think and act like them.

QUOTE ($RebelG)
Your best bet on finding out about the National Guard is probably to look at their website or go down to your local recruitment office and get some info from them on the questions you have

This FTW.

10th Mo-Town
  • 10th Mo-Town

Your legs, I can't find your legs

• Members

Posted 02 February 2010 - 12:47 PM Edited by 10th Mo-Town, 02 February 2010 - 12:59 PM.

National Guard is a joke, sorry bro but most likely if you do deploy you'll be tasked out for menial security details that most of the time are not needed. In my own personal opinion I think the National Guard should only be used as guards, tower guards, entry control point guards, so you can free up the real Army elements for other stuff.

Personally when I leave the Active Army I'm not going to go National Guard mostly for one reason, I don't feel comfortable training two days out of the week or whatever it may be and be one of the lucky/unlucky who get chosen to deploy with those you have trained so little with.

Nonetheless here's the skinny:

Basic Training: It's a joke, when I was there they would put up an act as if they won't pass you if you don't pass their Physical Training reqs, which all in all turned out to be bullsh*t. Atleast that's the way it was 2 years ago when I came in, no idea if they still play the same way down at Benning. Oh yeah, keep in mind I'm only a SME(Subject Matter Expert) when it comes to the Infantry, I don't know how the rest of the Army gets by. However, Basic Training does what it is meant to do, train you up on the naked basics and give you a handle on what to expect when you get to your actual Army unit. National Guard dudes go to the same Basic Training as Active Army, which I don't see a reason why, considering what has trained me for combat has been my time in the 10th Mountain Division, not my time in Fort Benning.

Anyhow I'm tired and sleep deprived, and I'm on my way home for R&R so some of this might not make sense.

EDIT for sake of

Honestly I have a lot to thank the Army for, it has made me the person I am today and it has helped mature me in a way nothing else could, but that was my unit, my squad leader and my initial team leader that instilled those values into me, I've just been lucky to have people who care. It's not the Army that changes you, it's all situational dependent. I hear the National Guard is unprofessional and underfunded, the unprofessional part kills me considering I'm very anal retentive when it falls down to doing things the right way. Underfunded, we all are, for war at least.

There are things in the Army that are stupid and there's no need for but that's how the Army is, learn to live with it. For example, there's a shortage of M-9 pistols in the Army. According to doctrine as it should be, every machinegunner and automatic rifleman(m249 saw) should have a sidearm, well they don't because every desk jockey who never leaves the wire has a sidearm so that they aren't burdened with having to carry that 'oh so heavy 7.5 lb carbine everywhere they go. Things like that piss me off but it's the Army. Honestly, if you want the same thing as the Army Infantry but want better funding just go Ranger Battalion, but I digress...

Oddsock
  • Oddsock

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 February 2010 - 02:30 PM Edited by OdDsOcK, 02 February 2010 - 09:19 PM.

10th Mo-Town, you're wrong, plain and simple. I've gotta get ready for classes so I'll be happy to tell you why when I get back.

ghost of delete key, that's hilarious. It's never really defendable to generalize any group of people, but in my brother's experience especially, the Marines he has met have all been a bunch of dumb rambos. One of them physically attacked my brother for being in the Guard one time at a bar. The guy was drunk, but who the f*ck does that?

EDIT: Right then, to Mo-Town's comments:

The National Guard is not a joke and it is on par with the "real" Army, the only difference is that the National Guard is not active duty. It has all the same training, equipment, MOS's (jobs), and tasks as active duty. They receive no less training and are often just as competent. Many Guard units fight alongside active Army.

Regarding the "weekend soldiering," while my brother does spend about half of his "Guard weekends" doing very little, the Guard pulls him away whenever they want to train him. This has happened at least twice in order for him to train with equipment like the Javelin and new and/or improved techniques regarding artillery, since he is a forward observer.

It seems you think that soldiers are incompetent without the constant presence and training of active duty. In this you are outright wrong and I hope you change your opinion because it's not doing you any good. My brother, like you, will most likely be "trained for combat" in your words with his unit going to Afghanistan, but I think you'll find that just because a person is not constantly engaged in service, they are incompetent. You can find many an out-of-practice soldier who would probably do as well as those on tour right now, and that's just history speaking.

Jaywire
  • Jaywire

Blatantly Homosapien

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 10 February 2010 - 03:44 AM

The National Guard is the best thing that happened to me. I joined right out of highschool. I made a complete change in myself. From a fat, lazy kid with no plans for my life, no inspiration to do anything, just continue to be a pawn at WalMart.. I turned into a fit, strong, mentally tough leader. I became an adult. It matured and humbled me into a better man. It instilled respect and values into me.

Sure, as stated, there are alot of little things. Hurry up and wait, hearing orders from 8 different people, incompetent leaders, equipment isn't exactly the BEST, but I have no complaints compared to what we had in Basic.

While I am looking at deployment to Egypt in the near future, I do not regret anything. I am happy with where I've gone with my life, nothing but improvement from where I was 2 years ago. The military is not for everyone. The best thing you could do is talk to a good recruiter. A good recruiter will let YOU ask HIM questions. A good recruiter will answer them honestly, without mentioning enlistment bonuses in every answer. A good recruiter will ask you if you think you're up to it.

To those who have that mindset that the Guard is nothing, the army is better, blah blah blah..

Obviously, you don't belong to a wing of the armed forces. And if you do, my respect goes to you, but just because you're active duty doesn't make you better than me. We're all soldiers, when it all comes down to it, we all serve the same country, we all fight the same enemy.

I love being able to serve my Country and my community. And I'm standing by, ready to take arms at a moments notice. The 2 days a month, 2 weeks a year is actually pretty BS. that's the MINIMUM required. I've had to go for a month for extended training, 2 weeks here, 2 weeks there, an extra drill. I'm not complaining, I love being in the military environment. I'm just saying, that's not always the case and don't let that even be a deciding factor. If you aren't willing to commit 100% of your time and life, don't do it.

It basically comes down to this;

National Guard is the Army, but part time. You get a chance to build your life AND your career within the Army National Guard, with the option to go full time. It will do everything the Army can do for you. It will make you a better person. It will mature you into an adult. It will help you financially in the way of a guaranteed pay check and a job you can never be fired from or laid off. It will give you the opportunity to go to college and better yourself. You will become a leader. You will become independent.

There is nothing wrong with the other branches, and I'm not knocking them at all. If you want to just leave and never look back, join the Army, Marines, Navy, Coast Guard, etc. You won't regret joining ANY branch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users