Quantcast

» «
Photo

Beating GTA 4 without stealing a car

23 replies to this topic
junkpile
  • junkpile

Liberty City, it's over! Next Stop. Los Santos.

• Members

Posted 30 January 2010 - 04:35 PM

i recently tried to go through the game without stealing a car. it sounds absurd, but STATS don't count certain cars as a theft.

a small list:

- roman's taxi
- lenny petrovic's banshee
- dardan petrela's willard
- the vehicles you steal for brucie
- vehicles for the drug delivery (including the intruder in cerveza heights)
etc, etc

well, it was just another try to make the game more difficult,...i failed as i had to steal a police car to get access to the police computer.

this is what i'm doing 'til it's the 30th of march...

suicidal.gif

Crossz0r
  • Crossz0r

Rat

• Members

Posted 30 January 2010 - 06:40 PM

Why failed? You can try to beat it without stealing the cars which aren't in the mission conditions.

junkpile
  • junkpile

• Members

Posted 30 January 2010 - 10:32 PM

QUOTE (Crossz0r @ Jan 30 2010, 18:40)
Why failed? You can try to beat it without stealing the cars which aren't in the mission conditions.

like i said, there's this mission for brucie. search and delete, where you HAVE TO get access to a police computer. i had to break into a police car. as soon as you get in (not even driving away), the stats count a car theft.

well, i'm still on it, i got faustin's shafter, dardan's willard and stevie's comet.

it's really difficult to get away from the cops without stealing a car.

LordDastardly
  • LordDastardly

Official LC Hotdog Stand Explosive Defuser

• Members

Posted 31 January 2010 - 09:01 AM Edited by LordDastardly, 31 January 2010 - 09:03 AM.

Great minds think alike! biggrin.gif I tried doing that too and like you I got as far as "Search and Delete" for Brucie! That really annoyed me but what can you do? The game is called Grand Theft Auto!

EDIT: It counts as a theft as soon as you press Y (or the respective key) near a locked car, he doesn't even have to break the window!

TinCan
  • TinCan

Prankster

• Members

Posted 31 January 2010 - 11:40 AM

You must plan ahead for these missions.
Take one of your cars and use it to push a police cruiser into your parking spot, and after you save/load or drive around the block, the doors will be open and it won't count as a stolen vehicle.

Jimbatron
  • Jimbatron

Soldier

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 31 January 2010 - 11:54 AM

Am I right in thinking to get as far as "Search and Delete", you must have done "Crime and Punishement" for Faustin? In that mission you get a police car when a cop leaves his car behind to run round the back of a house, allowing you to take it. If that doesn't count as a theft it might be possible. I'm guessing it only counts as stolen if you have to haul a driver out or break in, hence Lenny Petrovic's Banshee doesn't register.

The difficulty is in "Crime and Punishement" you have to pull over a van and take it, leaving the police car behind. However, if you can pull the van over close to the Broker safe house you can save the cop car there. Or, rather laboriously, move the van and the police car sequentially towards it, getting out of one and running back down the street to the other before it vanishes. Then you've got the police car saved for "Search and Delete", or other missions where you need to access the computer.

buzbegone
  • buzbegone

• Members

Posted 31 January 2010 - 12:17 PM

What's the real reason other than a challenge not to steal cars? It's called 'Grand Theft Auto', not 'Law Abiding Citizen'. The very crime of stealing cars is the title of the game.

simonp92
  • simonp92

Whodunit?

• Members

Posted 31 January 2010 - 12:52 PM

Im gonna do the game:
- Without killing a single person
- Without ever firing a gun
- Without ever smahing anything
- Without ever driving past a red light
- Without having any fun at all

Canoxa
  • Canoxa

Woosh.

• Zaibatsu

Posted 31 January 2010 - 02:43 PM

Lay off, kiddos. It's a new challenge, a new perspective. Something to give new life to the game.

If I'm not mistaken, you can complete it without stealing a car. A duder named Chungarunga, from the PS3 boards, I think. Managed to beat the game without stealing a car or killing, I believe. He posted his findings on those boards.

Jimbatron
  • Jimbatron

Soldier

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 31 January 2010 - 05:50 PM

QUOTE (buzbegone @ Jan 31 2010, 12:17)
What's the real reason other than a challenge not to steal cars? It's called 'Grand Theft Auto', not 'Law Abiding Citizen'. The very crime of stealing cars is the title of the game.

I guess the guys above thought of this challenge because of the irony you state. Can you complete the game without doing what the title suggests you should do all along?

I'm not sure I'm motivate to try myself, but I'm not so sure it wouldn't be fun to play like this. It's easy to escape the cops just by nicking the nearest car. I also have a suspicion in a timed test, Niko might beat The Terminator in a race to break into and hotwire a car, which makes it seem too easy. Mind you he seems to be able to take a similar amount of gunfire too...

junkpile
  • junkpile

• Members

Posted 31 January 2010 - 06:00 PM Edited by junkpile, 31 January 2010 - 06:05 PM.

QUOTE (simonp92 @ Jan 31 2010, 12:52)
Im gonna do the game:

yeah xD

well, i still try to go through without stealing a car. at least stealing cars that won't count. this sh*t i'm doing til i get my hands on eflc.
i gotta admit, it's still fun.

i bet as soon as i do missions in algonquin i won't resist stealing a random car. it was just a try.

@jimbatron:
the police car that comes across doesn't count, same with the van full of flatscreens.

@canoxa:
really? how? i know executions won't count as a kill and you can knock out certain people til they won't get up but they're not dead.
but some missions like, hm, dunno, missions with huge shootouts like three leaf clover, payback, tunnel of death, etc. ... how do you want to kill them? if they're gangsters you have the option to call the police, but if you fight the police....leave it all to dwayne's thugs?

KLLRDG
  • KLLRDG

Poot

• Members

Posted 31 January 2010 - 09:52 PM

Hah, I never tried to take it that far.
I simply decided not to steal unless I had to.
And you know, walking all the way to Roman's cab depot during the first couple of missions in the game got more and more fun each time with all of the russian pedestrians walking around doing their thing.
GTA is more fun when you slow down and appreciate all the work put into it...

DimitriRUS
  • DimitriRUS

Hustler

• Members

Posted 31 January 2010 - 09:56 PM

Last time I played storyline I tried not to steal any car, out of mission ones where you need to steal.
Also i didnt kill innocent civilians.

Phazar
  • Phazar

ball ass

• Members

Posted 01 February 2010 - 05:15 AM

QUOTE (simonp92 @ Jan 31 2010, 04:52)
Im gonna do the game:

A+ Post! lol.gif

LordDastardly
  • LordDastardly

Official LC Hotdog Stand Explosive Defuser

• Members

Posted 01 February 2010 - 04:01 PM

QUOTE (KLLRDG @ Jan 31 2010, 21:52)
Hah, I never tried to take it that far.
I simply decided not to steal unless I had to.
And you know, walking all the way to Roman's cab depot during the first couple of missions in the game got more and more fun each time with all of the russian pedestrians walking around doing their thing.
GTA is more fun when you slow down and appreciate all the work put into it...

Exactly. R* really have done an amazing job with GTA IV.

chrisreitz
  • chrisreitz

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 01 February 2010 - 04:06 PM

If the guy wants to go threw gran theft auto 4 without stealing a car Let him not hurting you any. More power to him but if you do what that guy says I suggest you keep the cop car cause you are going to need it a couple times more

ikt
  • ikt

• Members

Posted 01 February 2010 - 04:43 PM

New idea: Finish the game without using guns, only using melee weapons. (Exept for certain sniping missions, like resqueing roman

StoProGratis
  • StoProGratis

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 03 February 2010 - 01:02 AM

Have you tried to throw rock into the police car window? Does it count a "theft" when you open a car without a window ?

junkpile
  • junkpile

• Members

Posted 03 February 2010 - 12:37 PM

QUOTE (StoProGratis @ Feb 3 2010, 01:02)
Have you tried to throw rock into the police car window? Does it count a "theft" when you open a car without a window ?

you gotta cheat yourself to go through the game without stealing a car.
i'm still on it. i got faustin's shafter and dardan's willard, roman's taxi and vehicles given you ingame (sabre gt near the basketball courts in photo shoot).

the stats count even a theft when you do a powerboat-ride with brucie.

whatever, about the cop car:
if i want my stats to stay at ZERO at car thefts and need a cop car, i just go to broker, push the cop car to the parking space, leave, come back again. i can enter it as it was my own. no theft count.

AgenBlaze
  • AgenBlaze

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:02 PM

Use trainer? tounge.gif

FCortez
  • FCortez

Rat

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:28 PM

QUOTE (buzbegone @ Sunday, Jan 31 2010, 12:17)

The idea is to come up with ways to have fun untill GTA V comes out. Lots of people do this in other games, for example I've seen people play Far Cry 3 in what they called Survivor mode which is basically play the game and when you die you can't just load up a previous save, you have to restart the entire thing.
This might seem pretty stupid to you but hey, opinions.
I reckon its actually kind of fun and it changes the gameplay quite a bit, since I really love GTA games and IV is no exception I would gladly do something like this, if only I didn't have so much on my hands atm confused.gif
Either way,Good luck to you guys, hope youare able to finish the game like that wink.gif

EmM_8861
  • EmM_8861

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:25 AM

I just went on a similar mission myself. I tried to see how much money I could make without doing missions. So basically just killing civilians and picking up the money off the ground. Only got 426 before I died. I know I can do better.

Stats: 35 min play time
308 bullets fired
34 people killed
56 people ran over

GTA 360
  • GTA 360

LIVE WITH IT OR DIE FROM IT.

• Members

Posted 11 May 2013 - 04:32 PM

QUOTE (EmM_8861 @ Thursday, May 9 2013, 09:25)
I just went on a similar mission myself. I tried to see how much money I could make without doing missions. So basically just killing civilians and picking up the money off the ground. Only got 426 before I died. I know I can do better.

Stats: 35 min play time
308 bullets fired
34 people killed
56 people ran over

Find one of those green and white vans, and blow it up!

sandybbq
  • sandybbq

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 13 September 2013 - 05:38 AM Edited by sandybbq, 13 September 2013 - 05:48 AM.

I completed this today. It is possible to beat the story without any grand theft auto'ing - there are many cars/bikes given to you in missions, plus any car you must steal for a mission is also not counted. However, it is impossible to complete the story without stealing:

5 Boats

1 Helicopter

I propose to rename the game Grand Theft Aero-Aqua IV. If you split the numerals then the  Aero / I  and Aqua / V represent the amounts of the respective vehicles you need to steal :O  

The boats are basically any boat you need in a mission (regardless of whether it is stolen or if you even start the mission on the boat, e.g. the mission where you sail with Bernie and chase the Russians to the graveyard)

I also tried to kill only necessary people, and the number came out to 510 kills (this includes 1 unlucky civilian who I killed with a bike :/ surprising since I drove anything I had as fast as I could). This was not just red-dots but maybe 80% of goons to get past in missions - you can run past some but other times there are way too many and you have to clear your way through). Also tried to keep cop attention to a minimum.

I would say the hardest thing about doing this is certain missions where you don't have a vehicle and you need to lose 3/4 star wanted level without stealing a car (essentially on foot - cabs don't take you even if there are no cops around), that can take up to 10 minutes of sprinting around alleys haha

EDIT: added some stats below

Game Progress: 62.17%

Missions Passed: 94

Missions Attempted: 94

Times Died: 0

Times Busted: 0

Days Passed: 27 ( at 510 kills total that is 18.8 per day - quite a ridiculous criminal :p )

Stars attained: 64

Stars evaded: 63 (not sure where the last one of the 64 went)

People run down: 57 (about 2 thirds are non-fatal civilian injuries and rest are mission kills where I used my car as battering ram!)

Spent on Taxis: $2,490

Shooting accuracy: 86%

Kills in Free Aim: 20%

Headshots: 340

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users