Photo

Ultimate driving machine?

111 replies to this topic
WedgeAntilles
  • WedgeAntilles

on the braes o' killiecrankie o

• Members

Posted 23 January 2010 - 04:49 PM

good buy if it was 122! I'd have snapped it up as well, love BMWs. Should be a great wee run around.

i sold an old toyota corolla i was gonna scrap, with well over 500 000 miles, leaks no battery for 250 to a Polish lassie once, the foot wells were, no sh*t, about a half foot deep with rain water. Piss poor buy for her haha, pretty shan of me tbh but ach well, she was a proper hoore and I was in a bad mood confused.gif

I get to drive a brand new 330 estate to London on Monday, should be alright.

88 miles per hour
  • 88 miles per hour

GTAFs offical Mew and Volvo fan

• Members

Posted 23 January 2010 - 09:45 PM

Lurch, How many appliances can the chevy carry? 10? 15?

Lurch
  • Lurch

Yeah...pretty much.

• The Connection
  • NATO

Posted 26 January 2010 - 01:52 AM

This car is starting to remind me of the old beaters you'd see in Top Gear Challenges. Nice cars that just haven't been taken care of very well. biggrin.gif

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 30 January 2010 - 01:56 AM

You could have bought My Sedan Deville for the same. But it sold for scrap at the end of the day, never to be seen again I suspect, as I told the tow truck guy I wanted someone to be able to use the parts I invested in. Cash for Clunkers, one way or another. I don't find BMW to be the ultimate, but enjoy your toy

Lurch
  • Lurch

Yeah...pretty much.

• The Connection
  • NATO

Posted 30 January 2010 - 03:18 AM

QUOTE (Slamman @ Jan 29 2010, 20:56)
You could have bought My Sedan Deville for the same. But it sold for scrap at the end of the day, never to be seen again I suspect, as I told the tow truck guy I wanted someone to be able to use the parts I invested in. Cash for Clunkers, one way or another. I don't find BMW to be the ultimate, but enjoy your toy

yeaaaaaah whatsthat.gif

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 30 January 2010 - 05:05 AM

...True. It's not the Ultimate Driving Machine, that's the fantasy sold to you by ad agency big-wigs. The Countach and Testerossa are FAR more exotic. To me the ultimate. Even a 959 Twin Turbo Porsche. You can get a 914 Porsche or a 944 for a small ticket in.

Still, I bet my Caddy had more comfy seats, and YES, they were leather, and in better shape I can see

dog_day_sunrise
  • dog_day_sunrise

GTAF's Resident Niggling Pedant

• Members

Posted 30 January 2010 - 10:30 AM

QUOTE (Slamman @ Jan 30 2010, 05:05)
...True. It's not the Ultimate Driving Machine, that's the fantasy sold to you by ad agency big-wigs. The Countach and Testerossa are FAR more exotic. To me the ultimate. Even a 959 Twin Turbo Porsche. You can get a 914 Porsche or a 944 for a small ticket in.

Still, I bet my Caddy had more comfy seats, and YES, they were leather, and in better shape I can see

Y'see, I like the BMW "Ultimate Driving Machine" slogan. It might not be strictly true but I can only think of one car I've ever driven (an early 997 model 911 Carrera S) that was better to drive than a BMW M3 (albeit a CSL). Even old, reasonably ropey BMW's are dymanically excellent for the most part.

The Countach and Testerossa are both apparently shocking to drive. Dull, ludicrously heavy steering, crap brakes and no visibility does not equal "ultimate driving machine". Ultimate posing machine perhaps. The 959 is more like it, but AWD always numbs handling feel. It depends what you mean by "driving"- if you mean the proper petrol-head definition of "cars that reward youwith chassis and steering input, making your journey as exciting and interesting as possible" then BMW do pretty well for themselves. If you mean "getting there in the fastest and loudest style possible" then I suggest your a poser, not a petrol-head. Hence why the Lotus Exige is much more of a drivers car than, say, a Lamborghini Gallardo LP560-4.

The 944 is nice to drive, but essentially pointless besides the Turbo- all the others (3.0 S2 model included) are a bit gutless.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 30 January 2010 - 11:32 PM Edited by Slamman, 31 January 2010 - 12:01 AM.

I think from accounts over the years, the Ferrari Testi is actually easier to drive and more thoughtfully engineered then a Countach, but I love that car for all time, regardless.
The Ultimate Driving Machine likely doesn't even exist yet, with the need for economy, luxury, and performance ALL in one package unattainable. My favorite BMW has the slant nose. I'm not so much a fan of Slant nose Porsches however. On occasion I like seeing them though. I never got to drive or ride in one, but I did get a ride in an 80s Vette.

Here's the one I think I'm thinking of, the 850i, With all the numbers for names, I can't keep track of all the various models. I like having a name like CHEV CORVETTE you can hang your hat on. Numbers don't make me instantly think of a design.

Except 959 or 911 of course, Such an amazing array of cars based of the Volkswagon original.
Here's some angles of that one. I would like to drive all the various ones to see what I think for myself. We have Sears Imported Auto not far from where I live... next door is a Maserati dealership and down from that, Lexus and BMW that is rebuilding a large sales location. Seems scary in this day and age to be doing that!

http://www.flickr.co...s/32895621@N04/

Rocketkiller
  • Rocketkiller

E36 FTW

• Members

Posted 31 January 2010 - 04:37 AM

dog_day is right, even though my 328i has 228k km's and with all kinds of worn bushings and suspension parts it still drives amazingly. I'm going to do a pretty thorough suspension overhaul in the summer and I can't wait to drive it after that. One thing I really love about this car is how easy it is to control slides on snow, my friend used to have a c280 benz and it was an absolute terror on snow, it was unstable and you never knew which way the back end would swing out. With my car I was drifting through roundabouts in perfect control withing 5 minutes of practising. And i just love how the traction control only kicks in if you're slipping a bit, if you're getting alot of wheelspin it just stays out of the way.

I've always wanted an 8-series, I just love how they look. But from what I've read they're terrible to drive.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 31 January 2010 - 07:18 AM

I prefer Mercedes to BMW and always have, It's a question of looks first, since most people can only admire from a far, but that cockpit seems alien to me as well. I would have to drive one. I was in a beetle as I mentioned before, I also started driving in a Horizon, so I hate small cars, and didn't like four doors either, though I liked my dad's 88 Royale, he was not a GM guy by nature, seems they prefer Dodge or Ford in my family.

Well, never have we had a habit of owning foreign car makes. There's just been so many cars in history, I think it's audacious to suggest BMW as the Ultimate. Many people choose different aspects as their "yardstick", handling sacrifices comfort. For me, I'd kill for a Rolls or Bentley, that would be such a blast to cruise in. The Lambo Diablo also seemed to fair well, a few been seen in my neck of the woods. I don't know anyone with a BMW however.

[LLC]NelsoN
  • [LLC]NelsoN

Baller

• Members

Posted 31 January 2010 - 01:42 PM

Old BMW's are great, I used to have an '82 635csi.
Great deal, congrats dude wink.gif

Starion
  • Starion

hmm..

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 31 January 2010 - 04:29 PM

QUOTE (Slamman @ Jan 31 2010, 08:18)
I prefer Mercedes to BMW and always have, It's a question of looks first, since most people can only admire from a far, but that cockpit seems alien to me as well. I would have to drive one. I was in a beetle as I mentioned before, I also started driving in a Horizon, so I hate small cars, and didn't like four doors either, though I liked my dad's 88 Royale, he was not a GM guy by nature, seems they prefer Dodge or Ford in my family.

Well, never have we had a habit of owning foreign car makes. There's just been so many cars in history, I think it's audacious to suggest BMW as the Ultimate. Many people choose different aspects as their "yardstick", handling sacrifices comfort. For me, I'd kill for a Rolls or Bentley, that would be such a blast to cruise in. The Lambo Diablo also seemed to fair well, a few been seen in my neck of the woods. I don't know anyone with a BMW however.

Why are you in this topic? bored.gif

dog_day_sunrise
  • dog_day_sunrise

• Members

Posted 01 February 2010 - 01:24 PM

Slamman is completely broken bored.gif

Andrew
  • Andrew

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 01 February 2010 - 01:27 PM

Slamman, stay out of this topic..

chris
  • chris

Everton FC

• The Connection

Posted 01 February 2010 - 06:22 PM

QUOTE (Gangsta Killa @ Feb 1 2010, 13:27)
Slamman, stay out of every topic..

I fixed your typo lol.gif

So lurch have the 22" DUB wheels came or are you waiting for the hydrolics?

carlweathersarm
  • carlweathersarm

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 28 February 2010 - 02:25 AM

I used to have an '86 535i black exterior black leather interior. It was the same car as yours it just had different wheels. The previous owner had installed a K&N airfilter, Dinan chip, and Eiback springs. A got an exhaust cheap from the clearance section of Bavarian Autosports website. For a 10 year old (at the time) car it got around town in a hurry. The independent rear suspention is a high point of the car. The drive and steering feel is typical BMW brilliance and why they are the ultimate driving machine. Gotta love the window controls on the center console.

Illousion
  • Illousion

Over the hills and far away

• The Connection

Posted 28 February 2010 - 09:28 AM

Any updates on the car buddy?

Mpower
  • Mpower

OJ

• Members
  • United-Nations

Posted 28 February 2010 - 03:31 PM

QUOTE (Illousion @ Feb 28 2010, 09:28)
Any updates on the car buddy?

user posted image

Lurch
  • Lurch

Yeah...pretty much.

• The Connection
  • NATO

Posted 06 March 2010 - 02:50 AM Edited by Lurch, 09 March 2010 - 02:56 AM.

Well I bought some weatherstripping for the passenger side doors and a few other misc interior bits today at the junkyard for a whopping total of $3.75. Pretty good deal considering the same seals new on Pelican Parts would be $244.75. So hopefully I'll have the interior in a bit better shape and it out from under the car cover from now on.

edit - Work is done. New seals and stuff in. Me happy. smile.gif

Lurch
  • Lurch

Yeah...pretty much.

• The Connection
  • NATO

Posted 15 April 2010 - 01:25 AM Edited by Lurch, 02 May 2010 - 01:11 AM.

Little update. Replaced the weatherstripping and a few other odds and ends. Did a tuneup on it a few days ago. This thing is quick. 182 hp might not sound like much, but in a car that's pretty light, RWD, has a manual trans, and has no traction control or other new-age electronic aids, it's quite a bit. It likes to throw the ass out a bit if you aren't careful...on dry pavement. Also, the sunroof in this thing is a treat. Even on an day like today in the high 80's, I never noticed the need for AC with the windows down and the sunroof open. Also found the original dealer receipt for it. With an MSRP of $31,175, the limited slip rear (a $390 option), gas guzzler tax, and dealer prep charge, this thing was $32,650 back in 1986. Quite a bit in 1986 money. And yes, it had a Gas Guzzler tax. Gas mileage on this thing sucks. According to the HUD, I'm averaging 14.2 MPG.

And my old boss from a shop I worked at back in highschool offered me a set of E34 BBS RA's for $200. I might take him up on it when I have some money. Although I think they're fairly wide 16's and they'd require me to get some new tires.

Edit - I'm stupid. Everything on the HUD is in metric. The average mpg Actually reads out as XX L/100 KM. So I average 11.2 L/100 KM which is 21 MPG. The 14.2 I mentioned earlier was actually about 16.5 mpg. The worst I recall getting was when I was running it pretty hard through the mountains and getting 15.8 L/100 KM which is just under 15 mpg. The best I remember getting cruising on the interstate was about 9 L/100 KM which is 26 mpg. So gas mileage really isn't all that bad.

And oil's changed now. It was pretty black and needed changing. All the electronics are in check now,the fuses just require a little wiggle every now and then. Everything is in check now but the miss which I suspect is the 02 sensor being bad. And that only happens when it's babied under 2k in gears 1-4. It runs good at WOT. Shifty41s_beerhatsmilie2.gif

So really, this is ended up being the best 200 dollars I'll ever spend. The car's pretty sweet.

Lurch
  • Lurch

Yeah...pretty much.

• The Connection
  • NATO

Posted 18 January 2011 - 04:39 PM Edited by Lurch, 18 January 2011 - 07:58 PM.

*Year-end review*

So I bought this car exactly one year ago. I tallied up everything in the past year, and have $450 total in this car not including registration, insurance, gas, and car washes. But that does include the purchase price of the car, an oil change, new distributor cap, plugs, fuel filter, weatherstripping, a car cover, and 2 used tires. Not too bad. Here's a photo from sunday of how it sits now.

user posted image

The good:

•5 speed
•Limited slip diff in good working order
•4 wheel disc, hydroboost, ABS
•Alloy wheels
•Power sunroof
•Plenty of power
•Fast for a 25 year old car
•Good handling for a 25 year old car on original springs and shocks
•All kinds of gizmos and gadgets
•Leather
•Working AC
•Working radio, casette player, and power antenna
•working HUD

The bad:

•Fuses get out of adjustment very easily and I routinely have to wiggle them for certain stuff to work
•Parts of each power seat has stopped working. Drivers won't recline. Passenger won't foward or back. •Neither headrest works. Leather has some tears.
•Back windows don't like to stay on the track
•Tires are old and worn to f*ck and too soft
•Suspension is old and overly soft with tons of body roll
•Clutch is pretty f*cked and in need of replacement but still works
•Heater barely works
•Cig lighter plug isn't all that good for actually plugging stuff into and having it work
•Engine always has some type of fuel or timing problem and runs rough unless you put your foot in it
•Gas mileage isn't the best but is about what the EPA said it got.
•Has some dents, dings, and scratches

Things to do this year and next when I have some money:

•Antique Auto permanent plates and registration
•Fix various sh*t that's wrong with it
M30B35 swap with a Dinan chip
•Replace the clutch with something a bit sportier
•Rip the cat off and run 3" from the manifold back with some type of better flowing muffler
•Replace the air filter with something a bit better flowing
16" E34 Basketweaves with some sportier, lower profile tires
•Some M5 suspension bits. Lowering springs of some sort. Maybe even coilovers.
•535is sport seats, trunk w/ spoiler, and front air damn w/ fog lights and turn signals.
•Yellow Euro lights
•Euro bumpers
•20% window tint
•New fenders and doors where needed (depending on when I find another black E28 at the junkyard)
•maybe swapping the 3.25 rear end with 3.73, 3.90, or 4.10 gears

End result being as quick as a modern car and handling like a modern car and looking something like this.

user posted image

*MURDOC*
  • *MURDOC*

Relevant jorts intensify.

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:12 PM

That's sweet, good luck with the plans duder.

dog_day_sunrise
  • dog_day_sunrise

• Members

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:08 PM

A really nice write-up, Lurch. Few questions/points, though:

1) If you're going to swap the engine, wouldn't it make more sense to go one (or two) better from the M30B35 and use either an M88/S38 or Alpina (either B7 Turbo or B10)? The S38 is not based on identical engine architecture to the M30 series, but the mounting ect is extremely similar, just needing a set of mounts to be fabbed up. The first of the M5s used the M88 motor- in E28 form- so engine mounts shouldn't be too great a challenge. Not sure how to squeeze the B7T in but the B10 is exactly the same block as the M30B35, just running different cams, inlet manifolds, pistons and conrods- for an extra 50 or so HP over the 208 provided by the standard M30 plus a pretty damn impressive torque boost. A chip won't be likely to see much more than 10hp power gain. It's a shame that stateside never got the S50 series in a non-neutered form- the S50B30 can be had over here for under a grand, uses similar mounting points to the rest of the M30 series and produces 286bhp out of the box, or up to 350 before you move away from drop in mods (mind you, I count cams as drop in...)

2) Going M5 for suspension is a very expensive route unless you can source a wrecked M5 that's not sustained any damage to any corner. Coilovers would be cheaper and with nigh-on 30 years more progression, probably better too. Gaz do a coilover kit for the E28- it's about 800 here which is a lot, but is cheaper than getting OEM-spec shocks and springs for the E28 M5 from someone like Fritz Bits or GSF Car Parts- small initial production numbers + 25 years + high-end vehicles = nightmare when it comes to sourcing parts.

3) Not sure about clutch, but for wheels, 8-series BBS splits is the way to go:
user posted image
Failing that, 328iS wheels.

4) 3.15 LSD diff out of an older 7-series should be a drop in- but the 320i/328iS 3.90 ratio diff is the easiest, cheapest and probably the most fun (short of the hassle of sorting yourself an E30 4.10 M3 diff which are likely to be both hideously expensive and rare as rocking horse sh*t) way of going LSD.

Lurch
  • Lurch

Yeah...pretty much.

• The Connection
  • NATO

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:32 PM

Really, the only M5 part of the suspension I'd be using is the swaybars. I think the rest is pretty similar to a normal 535is (maybe slightly stiffer coils. Think shocks are the same) and I'd be better off with aftermarket bits and/or coilovers.

Going full on forged split-wheel proper BBS like the 8 and other beamers use might be a bit on the pricey side and possibly hard to find. And I'd sh*t a brick if I ever curbed them up. The cheap, cast basketweaves will do me well enough and I won't cry when I destroy them.

As for the M88/S38 options, if I did that, I'd want to go all out with the matching close ratio box and 3.90 LSD rear. Could get expensive. Plus they're not exactly common here in the states. M30B35's are everywhere and cheap.

As for rear end options, I currently have a 3.25 LSD. I'd like something a bit shorter like a 3.73 (US spec 325is have 3.73 LSD) or a 3.91 (M5, M6, probably hard to find) and of course retaining the LSD. E30 325ix can be had with 3.64, 3.73, 3.91, and 4.10 but they use a viscous coupling LSD and I'd rather stick with the helical type the rest use (pretty much no maintenance required).

Guess it just depends on how much money I have this coming year and what kind of deals I can find.

dog_day_sunrise
  • dog_day_sunrise

• Members

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:39 PM

I believe the 328iS came with an optional 3.91 LSD, and other models, including the 320i, came with an optional 3.90. Stay well clear of the iX viscous diffs unless you want to spend the rest of your life on your back, under your rear wheels, with diff fluid pissing down over your face, crying and cursing Bavaria.

Lurch
  • Lurch

Yeah...pretty much.

• The Connection
  • NATO

Posted 31 July 2011 - 06:04 PM Edited by Lurch, 10 October 2011 - 06:42 AM.

Going to bump my old topic as I don't want to clutter car talk anymore.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bought the 16x8 Style 5's (The V2 version) of them off of the E38 and bought 1 225/50R16 to get a feel on how they would look. Wheels were $93 with 2 "good" tires and 2 bad tires. All of them are sh*t and are too big anyway (235/60R16) for my liking. The wheels are 2 BBS and 2 Fundo's. The castings are supposedly identical. Both are OEM wheels, BMW just used two companies so if one had problems, they could rely on the other to make sure they had a way to get their product. The wheels are a little rougher than I was hoping for but oh well. No centercaps either, they're the pop off kind instead of thread on and they usually run about 15 a piece on fleebay. Need to be cleaned up a bit too. All have some curbing and 1 has some bad curbing but they should all hold air. The 1 with the worse curbing will be run on the driver side since that whole side of the car is uglier and more likely to be rubbed on the curb on the taco bell drive thru. It will regulated to a spare as soon as I find another. For now, the best tread 215/60R15 on the bottlecap will be the spare. But for the time being, they will do. Now to just save up for 3 more tires. The used tire I bought was still $41. nervous.gif

user posted image
user posted image

What they will look like with centercaps.

user posted image

On down the line, when the car is in much nicer shape and everything is in order, they'll be replaced with some nicer 17's of some sort, but for now, they'll do just fine.

Really, the curbing on all of them is only noticeable up close. And the whole car gets all kinds of ugly up close anyway so I'm not too worried about that.

Edit - Looks like I'll have to run a 215/45R16 up front. And wheel weights on the outside. It is tight.

Double edit - Well I took it around the block with the 225/50 up front, It's very tight but I don't notice any rubbing. The wheels are 16x8, ET23. And when I say very tight, I mean maybe a mm or less of clearance. I think it will be ok, but I will watch it. I really want to run the same size tires all around for rotation purposes. And it sure does look sweet. I wonder if the strut body has enough meat on it to barely touch it with a grinder?

user posted image

Those with experience running heavy offset wheels and big rubber, what's the closest you come to the strut when running one?

Also, found out 2 of the wheels are BBS and 2 are Fundo's. Same molds so both are basically BBS RZ's. The only difference is the markings in the center and the BBS are supposedly 3 oz lighter.

BBS
user posted image

Fundo
user posted image

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Thou shalt not commit logical fallacies

• United-Kingdom

Posted 31 July 2011 - 06:22 PM

Looking very tidy. I do like those single-piece multispoke wheels.

Lurch
  • Lurch

Yeah...pretty much.

• The Connection
  • NATO

Posted 31 July 2011 - 08:30 PM Edited by Lurch, 31 July 2011 - 11:04 PM.

I like them so far. They have a bit more dish to them than the 16x7.5 ET20's that came on E28 M5's but not enough to look out of place on a stock vehicle.

Glad I passed on the Hocks as the quality of most any OEM alloy on German cars is 2nd to none.

Lurch
  • Lurch

Yeah...pretty much.

• The Connection
  • NATO

Posted 15 August 2011 - 05:06 PM Edited by Lurch, 15 August 2011 - 05:09 PM.

Got the BBS's and the Fulda Carat Extremos mounted on the back. Plenty of clearance.

user posted image

user posted image

Will have some BFG's on the Fundos up front next week. The Aurora that's mounted on the right front will be a spare. Still running a lone 15 with the best tread tire on the driver front for now but will become my spare when all 16's are mounted. At least until I can find another 16 to mount the Aurora on.

Michaś
  • Michaś

No US for me in 2014... BLNT

• Members

Posted 16 August 2011 - 12:50 AM

When are you getting rid of the horrid US bumpers?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users