The Amazing Spider-Man

298 replies to this topic
Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:28 AM

I liked the last gen films as well, but speaking on Stan Lee, and more importantly, lack of recent posting here about The Avengers, check this article;

http://movies.msn.co...s-the-universe/

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Scuse me, while I kiss this guy.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Movies & TV] 2013

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:09 PM Edited by darthYENIK, 05 May 2012 - 09:12 PM.

Saw the trailer before the Avengers. I was pleasantly surprised. I love Sam Raimi, but wasn't the right man for the job. He did an okay job on his skill as a director, but he just wasn't the right guy.

P.S. I'd like to see Spider-man in the next Avengers. I doubt it'll happen though.

AreXi
  • AreXi

Quack Quack

• Members

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:37 AM

Featurette on The Lizard in The Amazing Spider-Man

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:16 AM

So this is coming out real soon...

Anyone else looking forward to it?

Girish
  • Girish

Leone Family Mafia

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:42 AM

They showed an extended trailer during one of the last movies that I saw. My friends found that awkward moment between Garfield and Stone in the corridor to be boring and too long for comfort. I didn't mind though.

Looking forward to this.

Indi
  • Indi

"Party's over, kid!"

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:46 PM

QUOTE (Girish @ Saturday, Jun 23 2012, 11:42)
They showed an extended trailer during one of the last movies that I saw. My friends found that awkward moment between Garfield and Stone in the corridor to be boring and too long for comfort. I didn't mind though.

Looking forward to this.

Same here, I went to see Men in Black 3 today for the second time, (thoroughly enjoyed it once again) and have to say. The film looks amazing, definitely looks to out beat Sam Raimi's versions of Spiderman.

OH NO
  • OH NO

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 30 June 2012 - 09:25 PM

QUOTE (darthYENIK @ Saturday, May 5 2012, 21:09)
Saw the trailer before the Avengers. I was pleasantly surprised. I love Sam Raimi, but wasn't the right man for the job. He did an okay job on his skill as a director, but he just wasn't the right guy.

P.S. I'd like to see Spider-man in the next Avengers. I doubt it'll happen though.

With the whole Sony - Marvel thing, not gonna happen. Unless Im being naive. To be honest Spidey was always better as a lone hero anyway so Im not too bothered. Would be nice though. Chuck Spidermans quips into that mix and it could be hilarious.

and yeah cannot wait for this. Its getting some great reviews and even the bad reviews only seem to dwell on the fact that its a reboot. I dont see the problem with it being rebooted at all, Spiderman 3 was a f*ck up of a movie, there wasnt really anywhere it could go.

Ryda King
  • Ryda King

Nevags Gordo Scrotorum

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:44 AM

Yeah Raimi's Spider-Man, though I loved the first two, was dead. SM3 was awful and it was going nowhere. A reboot was definitely needed. This one looks really good and Spidey finally has his humor and smartass attitude back instead of crying and moping the entire movie.

And you know, for a British guy, Andrew does a pretty good New York accent.

MikeChase69
  • MikeChase69

A guy on this website

• Members

Posted 01 July 2012 - 04:21 AM

From my understanding the Oscorp tower was supposed to be in The Avengers but they couldn't finish it enough time. I think Sony would be willing to let Disney or Marvel Studios whatever you want to call it use Spiderman in the upcoming Avengers or even have other guys in the Spiderman sequel. Not really excited about this film Fox effects just come off as cheesy and not well done but Emma Stone should be good.

Chukkles
  • Chukkles

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 01 July 2012 - 04:55 AM

QUOTE (MikeChase69 @ Sunday, Jul 1 2012, 04:21)
From my understanding the Oscorp tower was supposed to be in The Avengers but they couldn't finish it enough time. I think Sony would be willing to let Disney or Marvel Studios whatever you want to call it use Spiderman in the upcoming Avengers or even have other guys in the Spiderman sequel. Not really excited about this film Fox effects just come off as cheesy and not well done but Emma Stone should be good.

Ed Nortons the Incredible Hulk was done by Universal and Iron Man and the rest were done by Paramount.
I don't know if this means anything in way of getting Spiderman into the Avengers but Hulk and Iron man were always going to lead to an Avengers but even then had different distribution companies.

MikeChase69
  • MikeChase69

A guy on this website

• Members

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:02 AM

QUOTE (Chukkles @ Sunday, Jul 1 2012, 04:55)
QUOTE (MikeChase69 @ Sunday, Jul 1 2012, 04:21)

Ed Nortons the Incredible Hulk was done by Universal and Iron Man and the rest were done by Paramount.
I don't know if this means anything in way of getting Spiderman into the Avengers but Hulk and Iron man were always going to lead to an Avengers but even then had different distribution companies.

Marvel no longer has the film rights to Spiderman.

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:40 AM

It was great.

Moth
  • Moth

Fiat justitia ruat caelum

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Canada

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:10 AM

QUOTE (cp1dell @ Wednesday, Jul 4 2012, 00:40)
It was great.

^this

I wasn't a big fan of Raimi's Spider-Man, to me it didn't feel right. But this film, felt right. The cast choices were dead on perfect, the action scenes enjoyable, and the development of the characters were really good as well.

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:21 AM

I really felt like I was watching a comic. The scenes had the atmosphere of a comic - like that scene in the school with The Lizard. There were just so many things right with this. I really hope there is a sequel.

AceRay
  • AceRay

In my restless dreams, I see that town...

• Members

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:09 AM Edited by AceRay, 05 July 2012 - 01:13 AM.

This was just a complete retread of the first Spiderman movie, only so Sony can keep their rights to the Spiderman trademarks before others get their hands on them. It doesn't do anything new or interesting, just safe. Parker is uncharacterised and the action is boring, dull romance and a clichéd villain. There were so many things wrong this, avoid if you can or watch the Raimi one, its basically the same movie made 10 years ago and with more talent. Hell, try to see The Avengers instead if its still playing near you.

And you can't make a movie without J Jonah Jameson! Come on, he's one of the most iconic characters in the Spiderman mythos. That's like Silent Hill with no fog.

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:38 AM

QUOTE (AceRay @ Thursday, Jul 5 2012, 01:09)
This was just a complete retread of the first Spiderman movie, only so Sony can keep their rights to the Spiderman trademarks before others get their hands on them. It doesn't do anything new or interesting, just safe. Parker is uncharacterised and the action is boring, dull romance and a clichéd villain. There were so many things wrong this, avoid if you can or watch the Raimi one, its basically the same movie made 10 years ago and with more talent. Hell, try to see The Avengers instead if its still playing near you.

And you can't make a movie without J Jonah Jameson! Come on, he's one of the most iconic characters in the Spiderman mythos. That's like Silent Hill with no fog.

There is a reason it's a reboot. They're staying closer to the comics with this one. What's next, are you going to complain there was no Mary Jane? News flash; she wasn't Peter's first love interest.

I have to hand it to you though. You're really good at cutting out details; dumbing things down. Nice try though, maybe next time.

Linki
  • Linki

Neonic

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:30 AM

I really enjoyed the two Raimi Spider-man films. Honestly, I've never been into Marvel comics so those two film's depiction of Spider-man has always been the definitive version of Spider-man to me. And the old cartoon.

This new one doesn't look appealing to me at all. I don't really mind though, and I understand it is more in line with the actual comics. But I've found it really easy to ignore this - it just never did anything interesting for me in the marketing.

Then again, I know of the existence The Dark Knight Rises. That's enough to make everything else seem completely insignificant.

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:42 AM

The Raimi films will always have a spot on my shelf, I really enjoyed this reboot though.

buzbegone
  • buzbegone

• Members

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:41 AM

QUOTE (Linki @ Thursday, Jul 5 2012, 12:30)
I really enjoyed the two Raimi Spider-man films. Honestly, I've never been into Marvel comics so those two film's depiction of Spider-man has always been the definitive version of Spider-man to me. And the old cartoon.

This new one doesn't look appealing to me at all. I don't really mind though, and I understand it is more in line with the actual comics. But I've found it really easy to ignore this - it just never did anything interesting for me in the marketing.

Then again, I know of the existence The Dark Knight Rises. That's enough to make everything else seem completely insignificant.

He directed all 3.
Like you, I didn't find anything outlandlishly wrong with the first trilogy. A stand-out moment for me was the montage of the city suddenly realizing that something new is taking place.
And of course, JK Simmons' performance.

Linki
  • Linki

Neonic

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:11 AM Edited by Linki, 05 July 2012 - 12:46 PM.

QUOTE (buzbegone @ Thursday, Jul 5 2012, 10:41)
QUOTE (Linki @ Thursday, Jul 5 2012, 12:30)

He directed all 3.
Like you, I didn't find anything outlandlishly wrong with the first trilogy. A stand-out moment for me was the montage of the city suddenly realizing that something new is taking place.
And of course, JK Simmons' performance.

There was a third? wink.gif

But I actually enjoyed some parts of the third one. The "cool" Peter scene was my favorite part, actually.

OH NO
  • OH NO

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:55 PM Edited by OH NO, 05 July 2012 - 09:00 PM.

QUOTE (AceRay @ Thursday, Jul 5 2012, 01:09)

Jameson wont appear, if at all, till Parker leaves school and gets a job at the Bugle. What were they going to do , have unconnected scenes with Jameson raging at spiderman with no actual connection to the main characters? Might as well chuck a load of floating midgets cats in and get David Lynch to direct it.

Enjoyed it, actually, really enjoyed it. Something was missing though, but thats more than likely just a combination of it being the familiar Spidey origin and because I spoiled a lot of the movie by watching trailers and reading leaks..something I never do with movies im looking forward to.

Action scenes were generally really good, as was the 3D and Imax. Garfield and Stone were really likeable, Ifans was good but the Lizard character arc was underdeveloped. Garfields mannerisms as Spiderman were great too, the way he would splay his fingers and place his legs, and the scene on the bridge with the kid and his father (one of the best in the movie, gave me goosebumps) when he is in a familiar spidey crouch and just sort of cocks his head slightly..sh*t was pretty ill. Likewise some of the sh*t he did in the manner of a 17 year old lad was amusing (he must have studied lots of young boys)..when he sorts of slides off the kitchen counter head first in a scene with May/Ben/both..made me smile. He does look young mind, not 17 years old though. I can forgive him being a TPWF.

Could have done with without the cranes..and the basketball dunk was f*ckin lame, but all in all it had a lot going for it. On par with or better than Spiderman 1 but importantly a million miles away from Spiderman 3.

The "cool" Peter scene was my favorite part, actually.

Ive heard about people like you.

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:43 PM

I like that they didn't kill The Lizard. Like in the comics, he was arrested and sent to an asylum. So there is always a chance he could return in another movie.

Firefly8000
  • Firefly8000

The Harwood Butcher

• Members

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:49 PM

I just saw this tonight and imo it blows Raimi's films out of the water.

Maybe I just say this because I'm a fan of the comics and the tone and story of this film fit much better than Raimi's films ever did.

Also, I may be the only person to say this but I reckon Garfield makes a better Peter Parker/Spider-man than Maguire, he's just everything I ever imagined Parker to be in terms of character and attitude. In fact thinking of Tobey Maguire's performance now honestly makes me cringe. Connors could of done with better development in character but otherwise was a great villain and character imo. There's even that nice bit of comedy thrown in there similar to Raimi's films that remind of the comics even more, and the fact that web shooters were in really put a smile on my face. The lack of characters like Harry Osborn, Mary Jane and J. Jonah Jameson only furthered my liking of the film as it means that they weren't rushing everything into one film like Raimi did and mostly kept events chronological in terms of following the comics.

It all depends on whether you're there for the characters and story of Spider-Man but told in a different way, or if you're there for a decent adaptation of the comics (as far as they go), I suppose.

At the moment, from best to worst:

1. The Amazing Spider-Man
2. Spider-Man
3. Spider-Man 2
4. Spider-Man 3

Varrio
  • Varrio

Rat

• Members

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:50 AM

Looking forward to seeing this film. I'm not sure if I'll miss Toby as Parker just yet, haha. Great to see the Lizard will be the antagonist?

Vanilla Shake
  • Vanilla Shake

<629

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 06 July 2012 - 08:39 AM

I checked it out on opening night and I loved it. Just about every aspect of it, from the action, acting, faithfulness to the comic and even its darker tone blows the Raimi Spider-Man trilogy completely out of the water in my honest opinion (well, at least 1 and 3). Not sure if I prefer the music in this one better than Danny Elfman's work on Spider-Man 2, though.

I also loved how New York looked exactly like New York in this one. While Raimi's films had some great shots of the city, some buildings and subway trains (the elevated subway in Manhattan during the fight between Spidey and Dr. Octopus in 2 and the underground subway during the fight between Spidey and Sandman in 3) were added that just didn't feel right. Apart from the Oscorp Tower in Midtown, the NY in is just that...NY.

So yeah, this one's definitely worth checking out. It'll help get the rotten taste of Spider-Man 3 out of your mouth.

Dragonjack
  • Dragonjack

Moving on to a new account.

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:15 PM

Oh yeah! i'm going to watch the amazing spider man tomorrow, hopefully this one will be good. confused.gif

Girish
  • Girish

Leone Family Mafia

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 07 July 2012 - 10:42 AM

The Amazing Spider-Man was fantastic. Loved it.

I expected more bonding time between Parker and Dr. Connors over his research, but it's alright. Since I haven't read/followed the comics, any idea what the after-credits scene is supposed to mean?

rare.steak
  • rare.steak

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 July 2012 - 10:57 AM

It was surely the best Spider-Man but what disappointed me, being a huge fan of 2 Spider-Man cartoons and the original comics itself, was the mediocre screenplay.

I mean that's a great cast of actors you got there, but the Uncle Ben's death scene wasn't very well done. They really should have stretched that slightly and showed more facial expressions. Even though Tobey Maguire's acting in Raimi's Spider-Man in 2002 wasn't as good as Andrew here, what they did right was time the scene well and showed the pain in Peter's face. Also, it felt like there wasn't much of an impact after his death, and that both Aunt May and Peter got over it pretty damn quickly (like in a matter of days kind of quickly). I know I wouldn't get over a personal tragedy of such scale even in a matter of months.

It was things like that that may seem insignificant but really made the whole movie lack a lot of character building and emotional substance. Thanks to the average scriptwriting there was a real lack of sense in motive in the movie than it otherwise would have been.

An excellent screenplay and scripting team would have made the movie excellent overall, but thanks to them it's just a "quite great" Spider-Man film for me. Everything else was great from acting, to a viable plot, to downright beautiful and spectacular action scenes.

Big disappointment as a Spidey fan in this summer of superhero movies with Dark Knight Rises looking almost certain to be the actually amazing film.

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 07 July 2012 - 07:46 PM

QUOTE (Girish @ Saturday, Jul 7 2012, 10:42)
The Amazing Spider-Man was fantastic. Loved it.

I expected more bonding time between Parker and Dr. Connors over his research, but it's alright. Since I haven't read/followed the comics, any idea what the after-credits scene is supposed to mean?

Supposed to hint towards the next villain I think. Marc Webb said something about the unseen figure having a part in the next film.

theomenofficial
  • theomenofficial

I'm back as a changed man.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 07 July 2012 - 08:38 PM

It is announced as a trilogy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users