Photo

Screen Resolution

15 replies to this topic
shaan_zulu
  • shaan_zulu

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 11 January 2010 - 04:57 AM

I can't change the screen resolution from default(640x480x16) to any other. the game just crashes. my system meets all the rquirements.

GTArv
  • GTArv

#

• Members

Posted 11 January 2010 - 11:50 AM

Please read the posting requirements and post all the necessary information.

A heads up - you cannot change the resolution while a game is in progress (ie; after you've started a new game or loaded a save). Quit the game, start it again before attempting to change the resolution.
Does the game crash while your attempt to change it?

shaan_zulu
  • shaan_zulu

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 12 January 2010 - 02:34 PM

yes it crashes. i try to change it before loading the save game.

Spuds725
  • Spuds725

Party Animal

• United-States
  • Contribution Award [GTAF]

Posted 12 January 2010 - 02:49 PM

QUOTE (GTArv @ Jan 11 2010, 07:50)
Please read the posting requirements and post all the necessary information.

READ THAT ^ and then repost the info requested

shaan_zulu
  • shaan_zulu

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 12 January 2010 - 04:10 PM Edited by shaan_zulu, 12 January 2010 - 04:12 PM.

oops sorry..
O.S Windows XP Pro SP3
Video Card Intel 945 GM Express(128 MB)
Ram 2GB
No mods
processor Intel Celeron 2.0 GHZ
This is the error message
The instruction at "0x02011e00" referenced memory at "0x02011e00" The memory could be read

GTArv
  • GTArv

#

• Members

Posted 14 January 2010 - 03:22 PM

I'm sorry, I don't know the exact cause of your problem.. but it always helps to keep your drivers up to date.
Update your video drivers, delete the gta_vc.set file in My Documents ยป GTA Vice City User Files, and try changing the resolution again.

Spuds725
  • Spuds725

Party Animal

• United-States

Posted 15 January 2010 - 02:23 PM

Moved to troubleshooting...

I'm assuming you tried running it in windows 98 compatibility mode...

Did it ever work before or is this a first install.

Does the PC run pretty good otherwise?? I mean do you have alot of icons on your task bar and/or alot of memory hogs running in the background?? with slow load times and the lot-- If so, I'd try to end some of the applications running in the background-- particularly potential memory hogs--security software (disable your internet connection obviously while you have it off).

Sometimes a fresh re-install can work-- maybe even try installing on another machine to see if works on there (and not a problem with your install disks)

I'm far from a good "PC Troubleshooting" expert-- these are just some general things to try... looking over the pinned "buglist with solutions" thread may give you some things to try...

I do wish you luck...

Heihachi_73
  • Heihachi_73

Hey! My cab!!

• Members

Posted 16 January 2010 - 11:49 AM

Is the Intel 845G chipset one of those ones which only has 24-bit colour depth instead of 32-bit? I had an older PC (1.2GHz) which had an Intel 82810E chipset, and you were stuck with either 16-bit mode or nothing when it came to most games (as they rarely ever supported 24-bit mode; attempting to load some games and emulators in 24-bit would either cause them to crash outright, or even lock up the system). That said, that computer can run Vice City at a reasonable speed with a few artefacts, like 'glass' roads and other items not loading, but it was still somewhat playable (but running GTA3 was like swimming in molasses due to its rendering method!).

shaan_zulu
  • shaan_zulu

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 16 January 2010 - 04:14 PM

This thing is happening both in gta3 and vice city....i also have SA but it runs nicely at 1280x800!!!!!!WTF???
moreover i dont have alot of games on my hard drive....i also regularly defragment it.....i tried to reinstall the game but nothing changed. i even sent an email to Take2Support on 27 Dec..but i'm still awaiting response from thier side.
i have an idea
why doesn't some makes a set file with these comfiurations
brightness-full
draw distance-full
resolution-1280x800x32

then upload it sumwhere i post the link here.
just like we swap save games, why not try a settings file??!!!

shaan_zulu
  • shaan_zulu

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 16 January 2010 - 04:39 PM Edited by shaan_zulu, 16 January 2010 - 04:43 PM.

Another thing i have the updated drivers of both my chipset and graphics.
i have latest directx9 update august 2009
also while exiting the game, same error message pops up
The instruction at "0x02011e00" referenced memory at "0x02011e00" The memory could be read
press ok to terminate press cancel to debug

shaan_zulu
  • shaan_zulu

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 16 January 2010 - 05:07 PM

you guys won't belive what happened.
just as an experiment i changed the compatiblity mode to 98.
i ran the game.......headed straight to display options and voila it could change.i selected 1280x800x32.
i was overjoyed but when i tried to load a game the loading screen just f*ckin froze.
i exited the game then disabled the compatibility mode.
i ran it again and it was up and running smoothly with the full res., even the save was working!!!!!!!!
i have no clue........
As a heads up......today ismy birthday and maybe this is a gift from gaming gods

Spuds725
  • Spuds725

Party Animal

• United-States

Posted 16 January 2010 - 08:41 PM

I believe that was explained earlier-- you HAVE TO change your settings before starting a game-- you can't pause and do it.

That is weird-- perhaps the win 98 mode thing was needed to change from the native resolution.... not sure why it would cause a problem after-- perhaps the 32 bit thing....

I guess I should have read the last post of the thread (scrolled down)-- I just uploaded a .set file for you with those settings... although I have an invidia card so not sure it would have worked....

Here it is since I already did the hard work...

If anyone ever needs it....

http://www.freewebs..../gta_vc1280.set

obviously delete the 1280 from the file name...

Here is another one I created a while back just to move settings out of the native resolution of 640x480 as many newer cards cannot display in this mode....

I believe this one is 800x600x16 http://www.freewebs....s725/gta_vc.set

That one was made on another PC with integrated video....

Thank you for posting back your solution-- might add it to the bug list....

shaan_zulu
  • shaan_zulu

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 17 January 2010 - 06:33 AM

Yeah.........the game is running fine now.......I have dowloaded ur set files, just in case.....Anyways thanks to all who helped me..... biggrin.gif

KinKaray
  • KinKaray

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 02 February 2010 - 12:08 AM

Hey Spuds,

Where do I save these files????

Spuds725
  • Spuds725

Party Animal

• United-States

Posted 02 February 2010 - 10:37 PM

Are you having resolution issues??

It goes in your Vice city user files-- should be under my documents.... my specific path on XP is ...

C:\Documents and Settings\Bill\My Documents\GTA Vice City User Files\

May be different on different OSs

Realize this may not be the best way to procede... if the game won't start in native resolution after initial install 640x480x16 then you may want to try one or both of those .set files

all they SHOULD do is change your games resolution to what I indicated...

If the game does start up.. (you get the starting menu)-- if you start a game, you can't pause and go back to the menu to change the resolution... you must change the resolution before starting to play-- (loading a save or starting a new game)--

if you already started the game.... just save, exit the game, start it up again and go immediately to settings to change the resolution our of your native....

HTH...

(PS... sorry if some of this was kind of basic stuff-- from you post I did not know what your issues is nor your experience level)..

If you are having issues still-- please start a new thread as it can be confusing to helpers when multiple people have problems...

all that file does is save your settings....

KinKaray
  • KinKaray

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 February 2010 - 07:18 AM

Well,

I managed to solve my problem with the 3D Analyzer.... But I'll try the .set files!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users