Quantcast

» «
Photo

Animals and Children, why not?

• This topic is locked This is a poll-only topic
2,531 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you want animals and children in the GTA NeXt? (3868 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you want animals and children in the GTA NeXt?

1. Just Animals (1394 votes [39.56%])

Percentage of vote: 39.56%

2. Just Children (90 votes [2.55%])

Percentage of vote: 2.55%

3. Both Animals and Children (1544 votes [43.81%])

Percentage of vote: 43.81%

4. None (496 votes [14.07%])

Percentage of vote: 14.07%

Vote
reform
  • reform

Beaten, battered, bruised, Told to get down

• Members

Posted 10 January 2010 - 02:57 PM

@ SirPsychoSexy -

Most kids in videogames and animated films are voiced by women anyway, so that's besides the point.

That aside, I agree with you.

ZayDaGawd
  • ZayDaGawd

Prankster

• Members

Posted 10 January 2010 - 05:33 PM

QUOTE (bellic.luis @ Jan 10 2010, 01:36)
i'm 12 and i wanna kill someone just like me!

smmfh

Algonquin Bridge
  • Algonquin Bridge

Large, metallic bridge structure carrying cars across water.

• Members

Posted 10 January 2010 - 05:51 PM

Beh, I said both.

Why? It adds a bit more depth to the cityscape, and possibly introduces a deeper sense of morality into the game. You just hit a kid with a car at 90 mph. Happy? As long as it's not obligatory to kill children or rampage near them, then that's fine.

As for the media...so what? Yes, if they featured kids, you theoretically, could kill them. But that's down to the choice of the player. You aren't forced to kill them, just like how you aren't forced to fire a shot at civilians in No Russian in MW2. What can the media call you out on; Child Slaughtering Simulator? Simple matter of constantly restating, calmly, that no objective, or bonus objective involves the harm, threatening or killing of children. So what if you could kill them. Anyone could kill a child in real life. It would be illogical for the BBFC or the MPAA to ban a game outright for merely having the opportunity of harming children, when everyone has that opportunity in reality anyway.

To re-state; if you were forced to kill Children as a mission objective or for a bonus, like a rare weapon or achievement/trophy, then yes, I can see logic in not including them. However, merely having them there, but not obliging you to kill, threaten or harm them in any shape or form, I cannot see logic in banning the game due to that fact.

And to rectify; I do not condone nor encourage the threatening, harming or killing of children, real or otherwise. I'm merely pointing out reasons why the option should be there.

And at the end of the day, they're all pixels on a screen. Hysterical media may be there, but that'll just fuel the propaganda machine.

sd13killer
  • sd13killer

Playa

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 January 2010 - 06:00 PM

QUOTE (Algonquin Bridge @ Jan 10 2010, 17:51)
Beh, I said both.

Why? It adds a bit more depth to the cityscape, and possibly introduces a deeper sense of morality into the game. You just hit a kid with a car at 90 mph. Happy? As long as it's not obligatory to kill children or rampage near them, then that's fine.

As for the media...so what? Yes, if they featured kids, you theoretically, could kill them. But that's down to the choice of the player. You aren't forced to kill them, just like how you aren't forced to fire a shot at civilians in No Russian in MW2. What can the media call you out on; Child Slaughtering Simulator? Simple matter of constantly restating, calmly, that no objective, or bonus objective involves the harm, threatening or killing of children. So what if you could kill them. Anyone could kill a child in real life. It would be illogical for the BBFC or the MPAA to ban a game outright for merely having the opportunity of harming children, when everyone has that opportunity in reality anyway.

To re-state; if you were forced to kill Children as a mission objective or for a bonus, like a rare weapon or achievement/trophy, then yes, I can see logic in not including them. However, merely having them there, but not obliging you to kill, threaten or harm them in any shape or form, I cannot see logic in banning the game due to that fact.

And to rectify; I do not condone nor encourage the threatening, harming or killing of children, real or otherwise. I'm merely pointing out reasons why the option should be there.

And at the end of the day, they're all pixels on a screen. Hysterical media may be there, but that'll just fuel the propaganda machine.

this guy should be lawyer... XD

Algonquin Bridge
  • Algonquin Bridge

• Members

Posted 10 January 2010 - 06:05 PM

It does help that I am studying law =P

zeppelincheetah
  • zeppelincheetah

Soldier

• Members

Posted 10 January 2010 - 07:08 PM

no children but I wouldn't mind having animals, like guard dogs or deer (if the game's in the countryside)

Bleedblack
  • Bleedblack

Disturbed

• Members

Posted 10 January 2010 - 07:33 PM

QUOTE (SirPsychoSexy @ Jan 10 2010, 14:52)
QUOTE (reform @ Jan 10 2010, 12:30)
QUOTE (SirPsychoSexy @ Jan 10 2010, 11:45)
QUOTE (bellic.luis @ Jan 10 2010, 06:36)
i'm 12 and i wanna kill someone just like me!

If you're 12, get out of here. Welcome back in about 5 years. If kids like you play GTA, then I can understand some of the anxiety of people like Jack Thompson.

It's not his fault, it's his moronic parents.

I swear, if you wanted a line that seperates idiots from normal people, this argument does the job nicely. On one side you have people that understands that children will never exist in the world of GTA, and understand why. On the other side, you have idiots.

Kids appearing in cut scenes would be fine and probably add to the immersion and realism. Up until they are modded into the open game-world.

I never said it was his fault, but this is still not a place for him and someone should tell him.

I was thinking, what's worse, having kids ni the game or kids playing the game? I don't really know...

@Bleedback: I don't think anyone else but you even thought about execution scenes with children, that's REALLY sick, I think we're discussing whether children are to appear in the game at all and if they were, should they be killable. Executing scenes with children, sick man.

Also, what about voice acting? Are children to do voices for a GTA game? Would parents approve of that? Sure, kids act in films with a lot of violence and stuff, but since the video game medium isn't as accepted, would it work?

As i said, i expected to be called sick, its part of my everyday life really, Im not saying i DO sick things, i just have an extremely free mind ^_^

Each to his own, i guess.

WF the Hobgoblin
  • WF the Hobgoblin

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 January 2010 - 07:45 PM

I think everyone should be fair game, kids, adults, pets. It's just a game and if you can't tell the difference between a game and real life then you shouldn't be playing these games. I don't think kids should be involved in the story missions because I can't see any reason for it. But if R* could get away with it then they should add children and more animals to the map and you should able to kill them.

P.S I may get flamed for this but why is killing kids such a big deal? IMO, killing an innocent child isn't any worse than killing any other innocent person, young or old. It all seems pretty bad to me.

shadowmodder95
  • shadowmodder95

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 January 2010 - 07:48 PM

i think thats having children in games like that is wrong and sick as people would kill them

Algonquin Bridge
  • Algonquin Bridge

• Members

Posted 10 January 2010 - 07:49 PM

QUOTE (shadowmodder95 @ Jan 10 2010, 19:48)
i think thats having children in games like that is wrong and sick as people would kill them

Certain player would. Others wouldn't. It all depends on the player who is playing the game, and they aren't all the same. As evidenced here, there's a healthy mix of players who would and wouldn't kill children in-game.

sd13killer
  • sd13killer

Playa

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 January 2010 - 08:05 PM Edited by sd13killer, 10 January 2010 - 08:21 PM.

heres a good one, now this would be perfect for everyone:

First Scene of GTA V

Mob Boss: I heard you were looking for some work
You: Who have you been talking to?
Mob Boss: Just listening around... what are you willing to do?
You: Anything, as long as I get payed... I need some money, I need to pay for my brothers hospital bills...
Mob Boss: Okay, go into the room over there, second door on the left... kill the man who's tied up in the corner.
You: How much?
Mob Boss: hahahahaha
You: I wasn't joking.
Mob Boss: Okay tough guy, i will give you one hundred dollars for this, take it as an initiation... you will get more money for bigger jobs, this is just to prove what you will do.
You: Okay.

" You then walk into the next room and you see a five year old boy with tape over his mouth and rope binding his hands and feet. There is also an assortment of dildos surrounding his body. Your character laughs. He tears off the tape"

Kid: Are you here to save me
You: No, I'm here to put you out of your misery.
Kid: Do it then... please... kill me.

"The child rolls over and shows you the back of his head"

You: I want you to look at me while I kill you
Kid: Your sick!
You: hahahaha...

"You take out a pistol. You start to aim it at his face, then quickly turn it to its blunt end and beat the kid with it at which point you take a dildo off the ground and start beating him with it until he goes senseless... then you take the hardest dildo of all and jab it into his neck. Then he bleeds out on the floor as you laugh maniacally."

You: I hate kids...

"You walk outside and talk to the mob boss."
Mob Boss: Well?
You: I did it.
Mob Boss: You what?
You: I did it.
Mob Boss: Your Demented! That was a test and you failed.
You: And now you just failed mine.

"You punch the mob boss to the floor and two of his goons try to apprehend you. You take out a knife and slice both there throats. The Mob Boss starts to get up and you punch him again."

You: I don't like being insulted.
Mob Boss: How could you?

"You walk over to his goons mangled corpses and cut off their fingers. You pick them up and bring them to the Mob Boss' mouth."

You: They are chicken fingers, eat up. Or die slowly.
Mob Boss: f*** you.
You: hahahahaha.... I was hoping you'd say that.

"You take out a vile of poision from your back pocket."

You: This is Super Aids...

"You inject him."

You: hahahahaha!
Mob Boss: You son of a b*****!

"then you take out a cardboard box and empty its contents onto the Mob Boss."

Mob Boss: puppies?

"You take each puppy into the air and slice its head off with a machete."

Mob Boss: You bastard!
You: AHAHAHAHA!

"You take your machetes last swipe and cut off the mans dick."

Mob Boss: Ahhhh!!

*the screen fades to black and the gta 5 logo comes into view*

General Goose
  • General Goose

Because Jeb Bush is all in my house with disease.

• Members

Posted 10 January 2010 - 08:12 PM

To the above script. NO.

And Algonquin Bridge, the fact is, I wouldn't wanna kill kids. So having them being there when I go on dangerous driving or on a rampage would just be annoying. It wouldn't add an emotional aspect if I run someone over, other then annoyance and guilt, which is NOT what I want to get from GTA. It would make me pissed off with the game.

Thatguy238
  • Thatguy238

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 10 January 2010 - 08:14 PM

QUOTE (SirPsychoSexy @ Jan 10 2010, 11:45)

I was thinking, what's worse, having kids ni the game or kids playing the game? I don't really know...

Well, this is probably the most absurd thing I've heard today.

Algonquin Bridge
  • Algonquin Bridge

• Members

Posted 10 January 2010 - 08:16 PM

Fair point, Goose.

Perhaps if they only congregated in certain areas at certain times, e.g. Outside schools at 8AM/3PM, playgrounds from 4PM/5PM, and unseen until the next morning, then it would reduce the risk of accidentally killing them. As long as you remember what the time is, and where you're hurtling, you should avoid children altogether.

If anything, it's much like real life, in that children do tend to congregate at certain areas at certain times, hence why drivers have to be extra alert during those periods.

And the only one responsible for accidentally running down a child would be...you. Don't worry, there'll be a Psychiatrist's mini game which will ease your guilt and annoyance.

WF the Hobgoblin
  • WF the Hobgoblin

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 January 2010 - 08:18 PM

Why use the gun when you could beat him to death with the dildos? bored.gif

sd13killer
  • sd13killer

Playa

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 January 2010 - 08:20 PM

good point, i think i'll go back and change it to make it even more unappealing to human nature

reform
  • reform

Beaten, battered, bruised, Told to get down

• Members

Posted 10 January 2010 - 08:25 PM

I'm curious to know if people actually believe R* would add kids if they felt the players wanted it.

There's no way, ever, that they'll add kids. This topic is pretty much pointless. It just gives the opportunity to imbeciles to stand up and tell everyone how cretinous they are.

WF the Hobgoblin
  • WF the Hobgoblin

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 January 2010 - 08:27 PM

I don't believe R* would either, I'm just being hypothetical.

Algonquin Bridge
  • Algonquin Bridge

• Members

Posted 10 January 2010 - 08:28 PM

QUOTE (reform @ Jan 10 2010, 20:25)
I'm curious to know if people actually believe R* would add kids if they felt the players wanted it.

There's no way, ever, that they'll add kids. This topic is pretty much pointless. It just gives the opportunity to imbeciles to stand up and tell everyone how cretinous they are.

Oh, I don't think R* ever would add children. If anything, the majority of this thread is mere speculation as to what would come about should they be introduced, as unlikely as it may be.

Restelo94
  • Restelo94

Hustler

• Members

Posted 10 January 2010 - 08:41 PM

QUOTE (sd13killer @ Jan 10 2010, 20:20)
good point, i think i'll go back and change it to make it even more unappealing to human nature

When I read the script I didn't know whether to laugh or cry at how disturbing it was.

leeg1931
  • leeg1931

That's what she said.

• Members

Posted 10 January 2010 - 09:36 PM

Isn't there a law against including kids

Algonquin Bridge
  • Algonquin Bridge

• Members

Posted 10 January 2010 - 10:09 PM

...I don't think so. I mean, it's a social faux pas, but I'm not sure if there's any legislature on the subject. And I'm not trawling through Parliament's archives to find out.

General Goose
  • General Goose

• Members

Posted 10 January 2010 - 10:23 PM

QUOTE (leeg1931 @ Jan 10 2010, 21:36)
Isn't there a law against including kids

Algonquin Bridge, doubt there's legislature in this country, but we do have to look across the English Channel. A European version of Fallout 2 for example had ALL children removed from the game due to the original release having killable children. Now, I wouldn't be surprised if say Germany had laws against it or it'll get the game banned in Australia outright.

Algonquin Bridge
  • Algonquin Bridge

• Members

Posted 10 January 2010 - 10:24 PM

Indeed. EU law is binding in our country. Germany would have legislation, and Australia definitely would. I was just thinking in context of a UK release; I'm unsure as to across the pond.

(And call me Bridge, Goose, less formal old chap :D)

General Goose
  • General Goose

• Members

Posted 10 January 2010 - 10:29 PM

QUOTE (Algonquin Bridge @ Jan 10 2010, 22:24)
Indeed. EU law is binding in our country. Germany would have legislation, and Australia definitely would. I was just thinking in context of a UK release; I'm unsure as to across the pond.

(And call me Bridge, Goose, less formal old chap biggrin.gif )

True. I was also thinking of how such a game could MAKE laws (killing children with no severe longterm consequences), as particularly controversial games are likely to get the moral nannies' knickers in a collective twist. Not a nice thought (both literally and figuratively.) At the end of the day, I ain't a fan of the idea and would rather it not be in, but my main concern is the fact that kids will provoke a SERIOUS response.

(Cool smile.gif . Call me Goose. Or General. Or Gianni. As you can guess, I like the letter G.)

Algonquin Bridge
  • Algonquin Bridge

• Members

Posted 10 January 2010 - 10:35 PM

That's fine.

I suppose the commons could have an uproar about this if the public is offended enough (which it probably would). It all depends if the parties want to jump in on that opportunity to snare the voters over that particular issue.

(No problem, Goose. Note that you NEED TO PROTECT THE BRIEFCASE)

General Goose
  • General Goose

• Members

Posted 10 January 2010 - 10:37 PM

Even traditional MP friends of gaming might not defend R* if they do this, and pricks like Keith Vaz will just use it as an excuse to further demonise gaming. My parents would be shocked, I'd be shocked (but not "OMG EVERYONE BAN EVERYTHING BOYCOTT ROCKSTAR LOLZ" shocked, just "Wow. That's a wee bit edgy ain't it?" shocked) and well...yeah.

(I NEED TO PROTECT THE BRIEFCASE.)

supermortalhuman
  • supermortalhuman

522A4EA9

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 January 2010 - 10:38 PM

the main thing to face here is what it would add to the game or how it could be used in the gameplay. Which is nothing, and it can't be, respectively.

Other than some kid peds walking around, it serves no purpose and is distasteful, kids don't attribute to the GTA world in any way.

Algonquin Bridge
  • Algonquin Bridge

• Members

Posted 10 January 2010 - 10:38 PM

Yep, adding kids would definitely cross the moral event horizon for the general populous.

BlueCheer
  • BlueCheer

Rat

• Members

Posted 10 January 2010 - 11:30 PM

Salvatore Leone: "There's this 3rd grader...hasn't been paying his protection money."
*Hands Toni a baseball bat.*
Salvatore Leone: "Now go down there and f*ck his lemonade business up!"
*Later on...after destroying the kid's lemonade stand*
Toni Cipriani: "You will give the Leone family your chocolate milk every day, or I'll be back and I'll snap you're f*cking legs like dry twigs, motherf*cker!"
*Kid cries*

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users