Random Technology Questions

3,805 replies to this topic
Dealux
  • Dealux

Goddess Of Light

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 29 July 2017 - 07:18 PM

Yes, HDMI 2.0 supports 4K 60 with full RGB (no color compression) but you ought to expect some terrible input lag on most TVs, which kinda sucks. It's funny because old CRT TVs had the best response time possible basically and while image quality has improved with LCDs response times have increased.

You can get a Korean 4K monitor that has DisplayPort (and often times FreeSync) and comes in large sizes like 40" and above. A lot of them are quite cheap and can be found on ebay and Amazon (look up "Korean 4K monitor" on YouTube for reviews) but you don't get any warranty since they are basically shipped straight out of the factory.

HaRdSTyLe_83
  • HaRdSTyLe_83

☆★RIP Open IV★☆

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 August 2017 - 12:19 PM Edited by HaRdSTyLe_83, 07 August 2017 - 12:20 PM.

I went with a LG, nothing special 49" 4k smart tv with 100hz for 700, pluged in my ps4 for the first time this year and got myself horizonte zero dawn. The game looks great (for a ps4 game) with the HDR on, but 1 hour @30fps was to mutch for my eyes. Looks amazing for watching Netflix, movies, etc so iam happy.

Dealux
  • Dealux

Goddess Of Light

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 08 August 2017 - 12:43 AM Edited by ΣΓ, 08 August 2017 - 12:45 AM.

It's most likely not 100 Hz though and this has a lot to do with the HDMI spec. It pretty much limits the frame output at 4K 60 and it barely even does that since it can only deliver 4K60 8-bit RGB (4 4 4 chroma) and it basically runs out of bandwidth. Thankfully HDMI 2.1 will be supported in upcoming TVs (Xbox One X has already implemented the technology) and you will start to see some interesting things with TVs. For starters, HDMI 2.1 can deliver 10K at 60/100/120 Hz (I think full RGB, and 8-bit) which is something that even DisplayPort 1.4 (which has been announced for ages but no one implemented the standard yet) cannot do. Of course there are wide gamut color options of 10/12/24 bit and possibly even more than that and you could potentially run a 4K monitor well above 100 Hz with that amount of color depth. They also announced an alternative to Free Sync and G-sync, a variable refresh rate feature for TVs that might become standard in the near future and it's platform agnostic. Maybe we could eventually say goodbye to proprietary technologies like that at some point.

Horizon is a nice looking game but hardly that interesting. The Uncharted series seems more interesting as well as some other exclusives like that on PS but I will probably wait another year until I jump on that platform. I'm mostly an Xbox\PC guy by accident but honestly I think overall it is the better platform because Microsoft is interested in PCs and many of their exclusives are now coming to PC as well. Xbox and PC are part of the same family as far as Microsoft is concerned.

HaRdSTyLe_83
  • HaRdSTyLe_83

☆★RIP Open IV★☆

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 August 2017 - 03:25 PM

i dont know if its real 100hz or any kind of technology to simulate a faster rate, i cant tell the difference between the tv and my 100Hz monitor, so im cool with it, kind of strange at first to see movies like that though.

Uncharted is boring, 1 and 2 were alright but all the jump... slip... grab before falling to dead... its just very repetitive and kind of obvious

Dealux
  • Dealux

Goddess Of Light

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 08 August 2017 - 07:00 PM Edited by ΣΓ, 08 August 2017 - 07:01 PM.

But how would you test it? My point was that due to HDMI 2.0 only connectivity there's no way to get 100 Hz (unless it allows faster rates at lower resolutions, but that's not common). 60 Hz is a limitation of the cable. The only conceivable way would be to load videos directly into the TV (if it has Smart capabilities) but not sure where you can find 100 Hz video footage.

Movies and games are mostly stuck at 30 Hz (FPS) or 60. So there would be no difference.

HaRdSTyLe_83
  • HaRdSTyLe_83

☆★RIP Open IV★☆

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 August 2017 - 03:53 PM Edited by HaRdSTyLe_83, 09 August 2017 - 03:54 PM.

i wasnt talking about the pc, i havnt even spent that mutch time gaming, only tried Gta and forza horizon3 and they look great and go to the 60Hz at 4k, on ghost recon wildlands it looks like the color do get more contrast when i switch to 4k.

Using netflix straight from the internet some of the movies look mutch more smooth then normal 60Hz, but no i dont have anything to test it out, just my personal experience with my 100Hz monitor

Blondie
  • Blondie

I laughed and shook his hand and made my way back home.

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 09 August 2017 - 08:48 PM

Not sure if this is the right topic, but I am thinking about buying an iPhone SE. Is the phone worth it? And is the front and back camera good enough? The phone is like 336 euro or something, it has 32 GB.

Acid Burn
  • Acid Burn

pool on the roof

• The Yardies
  • Unknown
  • Super Special Gold Star 2006
    Draw Contest Booby Prize 2016
    Campaign Poster Booby Prize 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016
    14K Doggo/Catto-Chop Winner 2017

Posted 10 August 2017 - 11:52 AM

IOS/iPhone users:

How do you transfer all your photos to PC? I'm planning to reset my phone since I'm really running low on storage and photos/videos are the 2nd reason why my storage is being eaten.

Currently on a 5s, 16gb, iOS 10.3.2. Also would appreciate tips on managing storage on a 16gb device.

just connect the phone to the pc and access it through windows explorer and copy/paste them over from there. they tend to be split into directories so i just usually dump them into a folder with the date and then sort through them all :) pretty rudimentary but it works.

Exxon
  • Exxon

The Obvious Child

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 August 2017 - 05:40 PM Edited by Exxon, 10 August 2017 - 06:29 PM.

A friend of mine got a new computer from a friend which has an ATI Radeon HD 6770 in it, but the drivers don't seem to install properly.

Using AMD's site, I downloaded its latest drivers (CCC from 2015 which don't seem to do much, and Crimson drivers which don't want to install because the hardware isn't supported). It's a computer with Windows 10, if that helps. Any help with this?

Crokey
  • Crokey

Builders Like Erections

• Belize
  • Best Official Gang 2016 [Zaibatsu]
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2016
    Worst Tits 2016
    Worst Tits 2015
    Worst Tits 2014
    Best Poster [Sports] 2016
    Best Poster [Sports] 2015
    Best Poster [Sports] 2014
    Last ever poster in a public area on the old forum
    Best Llama 2016

Posted 10 August 2017 - 10:10 PM

A friend of mine got a new computer from a friend which has an ATI Radeon HD 6770 in it, but the drivers don't seem to install properly.

Using AMD's site, I downloaded its latest drivers (CCC from 2015 which don't seem to do much, and Crimson drivers which don't want to install because the hardware isn't supported). It's a computer with Windows 10, if that helps. Any help with this?

Have you tried running the AMD Clean Uninstall Utility and then re-installing the drivers, it may be old drivers or associated software which is causing errors.  You could also try installing the first release drivers for the card and then run the update utility which should hopefully bring it up to the most stable release.

Shaytan
  • Shaytan

"It can't be that difficult"

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 16 August 2017 - 10:29 AM

Is there a risk my Android phone got malware infected? Yesterday I was reading an article on Facebook Lite app through its browser (something I hate to do because it doesn't block ads but it's more convenient) and well, the page got redirected to an ad of those paid SMS subscription shady services and then I immediately receive an SMS confirming the subscription to said service and 3 f*cking euros are wasted that way.

I haven't done nothing. Perhaps it got my number from Facebook? I cancelled the subscription immediately from the phone provider page and blocked paid SMS subscriptions to avoid future similar situations, but I don't know how tf it got my number. I'm very careful with shady apps, I checked the page to see if some malware sent an SMS to it and deleted from my phone but no, it's really bugging me.

yojc
  • yojc

2A03

• Members
  • Poland
  • Best Poster [Tech] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Tech] 2013
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 16 August 2017 - 03:21 PM Edited by yojc, 16 August 2017 - 03:24 PM.

It might be possible that you've subscribed to a paid SMS subscription by simply visiting a scam link (some malicious ad might have redirected you). They don't need to know your phone number - look up "WAP billing". (I seriously want to know who the hell came up with that idea, that's just insane if you ask me)

If you've blocked paid/premium SMS services you should be safe from now on. I'd suggest reporting this incident to your provider.
  • Shaytan likes this

GTA3Rockstar
  • GTA3Rockstar

--------------------

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Lifetime Achievement Award
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 25 August 2017 - 09:29 AM Edited by GTA3Rockstar, 25 August 2017 - 06:54 PM.

Edits vvv

Spoiler

I got it to work with just the one CCK I had. I turned my directv into a wireless connection and then just connected the CCK to the coax to get the internet from the directv box and used the ethernet port to connect to my computer.

I was getting 10mb/s with this setup, usually I can get up to 30. I would assume it's because I was taking a wireless connection and sending it through the coax cable.

I tried connecting the coax to the HPNA on my modem (C2000T) without setting up the wireless connection on my Directv, but I wasn't getting internet through Directv or through the ethernet on the CCK to my computer. Does it not work like that or what exactly does the HPNA coax do on the modem (the light never was on when I had a cable connected to it)?

If I had another CCK/adapter direct connected to my modem, would I see my speeds close to my usual of 30mb? I also heard some adapters won't work if you are running Directv through your coax, especially since they use DECAs and the better ones are MOCA.

Exxon
  • Exxon

The Obvious Child

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 August 2017 - 02:21 PM

Have you tried running the AMD Clean Uninstall Utility and then re-installing the drivers, it may be old drivers or associated software which is causing errors.  You could also try installing the first release drivers for the card and then run the update utility which should hopefully bring it up to the most stable release.

It doesn't work, sadly. It seems like the computer just doesn't recognize anything of the card after sensing there's a card in the PCI slot.

We tried using my old HD6950, but it just won't work, despite the computer recognizing there's a card in there. It just doesn't do anything with it and drivers won't work.

Faulty motherboard, maybe? The guy who handed him the computer did drop it.

Crokey
  • Crokey

Builders Like Erections

• Belize
    Worst Tits 2016
    Worst Tits 2015
    Worst Tits 2014
    Best Llama 2016

Posted 29 August 2017 - 10:15 PM

Possibly a faulty board if it was dropped.  But, have you also tried updating the Motherboard drivers as well?

Acid Burn
  • Acid Burn

pool on the roof

• The Yardies
  • Unknown
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 30 August 2017 - 09:16 AM

In a situation like that (maybe it's overkill) I'd probably take everything out of the case and individually test it starting with just the motherboard/cpu/1 stick of ram using onboard graphics and go from there, plus reseating the card/making sure the PSU is adequate enough to power it/making sure 6/8 pin plugs are in plus trying another PCIE slot if that's available. When you say it recognises the card are you using the card to get a display? I'm not ruling out it being a hardware issue but if the port was broke I doubt it'd display anything or even recognise there's a card in there. Given that it's also a second hand PC that's had some hardware changes I'd probably reinstall something like Win7 to test it as 10 can be finicky with older hardware.

Andreaz1
  • Andreaz1

♪ ♫

• Members
  • Sweden
  • Helpfulness Award
    Draw Contest Winner 2016

Posted 30 August 2017 - 10:45 AM

Could very well be the motherboard, does it not have any other PCI-E slots you can try? Also, both of those cards are as old as I don't know what, have you made sure they actually work?

HaRdSTyLe_83
  • HaRdSTyLe_83

☆★RIP Open IV★☆

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 September 2017 - 03:09 PM Edited by HaRdSTyLe_83, 18 September 2017 - 03:12 PM.

with new games coming up like Project cars2, forza 7 etc i was considering buying a steering wheel for my pc

is the Logitech G920 any good? it costs 270$ around here, or should i just bite the bullet and save for a thustmaster T300? (370$)

Andreaz1
  • Andreaz1

♪ ♫

• Members
  • Sweden
  • Helpfulness Award
    Draw Contest Winner 2016

Posted 18 September 2017 - 05:46 PM

https://www.smallnet...r/74-wan-to-lanDoes anyone know if that site is any reliable? I'm looking to buy a router and I don't really care about Wi-Fi capabilities as I live alone in a small apartment but I want one that can actually handle my gigabit internet speed. For some reason that seems difficult to find any info about.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Cyberpunk

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 20 September 2017 - 02:55 PM Edited by Mister Pink, 20 September 2017 - 03:05 PM.

Carbon fibre casing for console controllers. What is the point? I'm thinking about buying a second hand controller for my Xbox One. Xbox controllers are pretty pricey new and the LB button broke on my last one while I was in the middle of a game. So I don't want to pay full whack for something that might just break again. Anyway, the seller says it has carbon fibre casing and it cost €60. Seems ridiculous if you ask me. Anyway, the price of the controller with the casing is still good value, I can get for less than 50. A standard, brand-new controller is 70. He also says the controller is new and barely used. 

My question is. Why would you pay nearly the price of a new controller for carbon fibre casing? It's not a rhetorical question, I'm genuinely curious.  Does it protect the controller from drops?  I don't know sounds a bit like paying a 100 for a "gold-plated" HDMI cable. Pointless. Just looked at some YouTube videos and I'm guessing it's just people think it looks kinda cool? 

EDIT: I suppose it's lighter material and more durable. Ignore this post. 

Andreaz1
  • Andreaz1

♪ ♫

• Members
  • Sweden
  • Helpfulness Award
    Draw Contest Winner 2016

Posted 20 September 2017 - 03:59 PM

It's expensive but very light and stronger than steel at the same time, plus it looks nice. Very gimmicky though for something like an Xbox controller if it's the real thing.

Ai家Cob家
  • Ai家Cob家

Ban Roulette Winner 2017!

• Members
  • Antarctica
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2017

Posted 26 September 2017 - 10:28 PM

Anybody know how to fix this sh*t?

08f9c5c32a44c4c3146f35c1e20fbd77.png

It started happening out of nowhere, When i click on it, It takes me to a Yahoo Web Search page even though Google is my search page.

I even went into my settings and removed Yahoo from the search list.

I have checked and there have been no new programs installed, No new add-ons i ran spyware/malware scan and noting it's only happening on Chrome 

Android
  • Android

• Facade
  • None
  • Snap Battle Season 3 Winner [X360]
    The Congressional Medal of sh*tposting
    Contribution Award [Snapmatic Competition]
    Most Talented Graphics Artist 2015
    Most Improved Member 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Best Poster [Technology] 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]
    Helpfulness Award [GTA V]

Posted 26 September 2017 - 11:32 PM

Maybe you have a rogue browser extension? I would recommend you take a look at what you have installed. 

• Arrow likes this

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Jo N鄢yvi Pohjan Portit

• European-Union
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 27 September 2017 - 06:32 AM

Yep, it'll be an adware Browser plugin or something. Run Malwarebyres, that's what it's designed to get rid of.

Ai家Cob家
  • Ai家Cob家

Ban Roulette Winner 2017!

• Members
  • Antarctica
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2017

Posted 28 September 2017 - 04:30 AM

I've ran Spybot, CCLeaner & Malwarebtyes but it's still happening...

I have checked my extensions but i don't see any unauthorized add-ons and i double checked my control panel and there aren't any programs installed that i didn't authorize.

Is there a way to see if you have any rouge add-ons?

Crokey
  • Crokey

Builders Like Erections

• Belize
    Worst Tits 2016
    Worst Tits 2015
    Worst Tits 2014
    Best Llama 2016

Posted 28 September 2017 - 09:29 AM

Have you tried disabling ones that are there one by one to help narrow it down what's causing it, as sometimes updates to the plug-ins/extensions may have added this in?

Cheat
  • Cheat

HiiiPower

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 10 October 2017 - 03:34 PM

Hi, Avast Cleanup is telling me I have 52GB of "Temporary Files" I could get rid of. C>Properties>Disk Cleanup only shows about 100MB of these. I don't have a paid version of Avast so I can't let the application delete the files for me but is there a way I could find out what files it's talking about and see for myself whether they're actually deletable?

Acid Burn
  • Acid Burn

pool on the roof

• The Yardies
  • Unknown
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 10 October 2017 - 03:48 PM

https://windirstat.net/

also ccleaner is what i've used for the last 6 or 7 years for cleanups, wouldn't use much else.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Jo N鄢yvi Pohjan Portit

• European-Union
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 10 October 2017 - 04:17 PM

Avast has gone full advertising funded shareware sh*t, and CCleaner got compromised and backdoored. Technically now they're both the same company as Avast bought Piriform.
  • Acid Burn likes this

Acid Burn
  • Acid Burn

pool on the roof

• The Yardies
  • Unknown
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 10 October 2017 - 04:28 PM Edited by SLUMPUSSY, 10 October 2017 - 08:33 PM.

Any recommendations on a cheap (sub £100), eATX case? Not looking for anything in particular but I'd prefer to stay away from some RGB clusterf*ck, just looking for something with good build quality that'll support a dual socket eATX board, removable drive cages would be a plus as the board has an unconventional layout/is designed for a rackmounted 2u chassis plus adequate cable management room. The Antec P380 is looking like a good choice but I'd prefer something a little cheaper, fella on gumtree has an Obsidian 750D for £60 but picking it up is kind of a hassle.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users