sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Jo N鄢yvi Pohjan Portit

• European-Union
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 03 May 2017 - 01:46 PM

It's law of diminishing returns over 100hz but finding IPS panels that offer G-Sync at lower maximum refresh rates than 144hz is hard.

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Goddess Of Light

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 03 May 2017 - 02:03 PM

I was recently fortunate enough to try one of the AOC Agon G-Sync IPS 165Hz 2K panels. It was outstanding to be honest, really impressive. Every bit as good as the Asus ROG monitors but about £250 cheaper.

The Acer Predator one is about as cheap (or cheaper) than the AOC monitor. I think all three of them use the same IPS panel.

165 Hz is a false goal in a sense since most newer games won't run close to that in 1440p at max settings even on a high end GPU. Having said that, I think I would likely enjoy the increased pixel density on a 32" 4K 60 monitor as much as 165 Hz and it would work better with a 4K capable console (I'm waiting for Scorpio). The only problem is that none of these G-sync monitors are HDMI 2.0 compliant and currently there is no way to convert an HDMI 2.0 output to DP 1.2 input, which f*cking sucks.

But then again, I'm also wondering how bad would a 1080p image look on a 1440p (Xbox Scorpio will likely only support either 1080p or 4K, but with supersampling support for all games running in 1080p).

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Jo N鄢yvi Pohjan Portit

• European-Union

Posted 03 May 2017 - 02:28 PM

What are you using that can't output to DisplayPort?

165Hz seems to be the standard with the current generation of IPS G-Sync monitors. I couldn't live with a TN panel any more, stuck with them in 2K at work and I hate the lack of colour depth passionately. I'd buy a 100Hz G-Sync 2K IPS monitor if such a thing existed.

Here, the IPS G-Sync 2K Predator is still near enough £700, whereas the Agon can be had for £550. The only close competitor in price is the 35" 21:9 FHD Acer Predator, which I like.

1080p is a bit fuzzy on a 2K pannel but not that bad at normal viewing distances.

HaRdSTyLe_83
  • HaRdSTyLe_83

☆★RIP Open IV★☆

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 03 May 2017 - 03:09 PM

to me 4K seems something that is so far away in the future even with a gtx1080, i just dont see the benefits of trading pixel density for visual details and fps. im not old (33yo) but anything below 40fps on a monitor that close to me, just gives me a headache after a few hours. maybe when the gtx1180 Ti gets out and 4k 144 Hz monitors are out there ill give it a try :p

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Goddess Of Light

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 03 May 2017 - 03:45 PM

What are you using that can't output to DisplayPort?

Here, the IPS G-Sync 2K Predator is still near enough £700, whereas the Agon can be had for £550. The only close competitor in price is the 35" 21:9 FHD Acer Predator, which I like.

I'm a PC gamer primarily but I also play exclusives on consoles. The upcoming Xbox Scorpio, which is supposed to be a 4K capable console (but likely only in heavily optimized exclusives, like Forza Motorsport), will only come with an HDMI 2.1 output. Even thought it's marketed as a pro gaming console and it comes with FreeSync support (a first for a console) it does not have a DisplayPort output. I guess 165 Hz is probably more of a benefit since I won't actually be able to run recent games in 4K at decent settings and frame rate.

Hmmm. It seems that you are right I found one where it's about £600 and honestly it looks a little nicer than the ugly red&black themed Predator. Not a fan of that thick bezel though.

to me 4K seems something that is so far away in the future even with a gtx1080, i just dont see the benefits of trading pixel density for visual details and fps. im not old (33yo) but anything below 40fps on a monitor that close to me, just gives me a headache after a few hours. maybe when the gtx1180 Ti gets out and 4k 144 Hz monitors are out there ill give it a try :p

The 1080 Ti can push 4K 60 at high settings in quite a few games. I think 4K will become a real thing in a year or two, with the upcoming generation of GPUs (NVIDIA Volta).

Nelly2K
  • Nelly2K

Rat

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 04 May 2017 - 08:55 AM

This might be far out there but I need a laptop that'll run like GTAV on medium settings-ish.  Better if possible.  But it can't be massively expensive and it really needs to be 14" or less.  Nearest I've saw is ALienware 13 but it's just a little too expensive for my budget.

And before anyone blasts saying a desktop is better value etc, I know that, but I don't have space for one so it's a laptop for me.

HaRdSTyLe_83
  • HaRdSTyLe_83

☆★RIP Open IV★☆

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 04 May 2017 - 09:26 AM

you need to be more specific, what is expensive to you might not be for others, 1400$ seems a reasonable price (for a laptop)

with that 14" monitor you will probably run a very low resolution, probably between 1280x1024 or 1600x1200. it wont look very good in games to be honest but also it wont be very taxing to the GPU

Nelly2K
  • Nelly2K

Rat

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 04 May 2017 - 09:58 AM

you need to be more specific, what is expensive to you might not be for others, 1400$ seems a reasonable price (for a laptop)

with that 14" monitor you will probably run a very low resolution, probably between 1280x1024 or 1600x1200. it wont look very good in games to be honest but also it wont be very taxing to the GPU

Well about €1100 I think would be suitable for me right now (I'll need to save so even 2nd hand would be fine as I don't work).

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

XMD5A

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 15 May 2017 - 08:20 PM Edited by Mister Pink, 16 May 2017 - 03:04 PM.

Hardrive not detected by Windows 10. Help please!

My hardrive isn't being detected in Windows 10 via the USB 3.0 port. However it shows in the USB 2.0. I also put my card reader (USB 2.0) in the the USB 3.0 and it's detecting that no problem. 

When the hardrive is plugged in to 3.0 port  the light on the HDD shows up. It's just not showing up in Windows. I checked if the driver for 3.0 needs updating but it says it's up to date. I've no other 3.0 devices to test it. All I know is that the HDD works in the 2.0 port and my 2.0 card reader works in the 3.0 port. 

Any help would be really appreciated!

Thanks!

EDIT: I didn't do anything but tried it the next day and now it works. 

I'll be your sinner in secret.

• Zaibatsu
  • Canada

Posted 17 May 2017 - 06:16 PM Edited by 2281, 17 May 2017 - 06:36 PM.

I share my PC with all members of my family. Each has their own user account. I accidentally signed into my sister's user account, and as I opened the Start menu to sign out I noticed that the default 'Photos' live tile was displaying one of my pictures, from my user account. I opened her default 'Pictures' folder only to discover that all of our pictures have been thrown together into a number of folders within her 'default' Pictures folder. Obviously she's been f*cking around with my PC, but how does this happen? How do I rectify the problem? I'm currently running the latest version of Windows 10.

Edit: File History seems to suggest that things went awry when shortly after I updated my PC with the Creators Update. f*ck you, Microsoft.

Ai家妯b家
  • Ai家妯b家

Godfather

• BUSTED!
  • Nauru

Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:09 PM

Any of ya'll have any preference to screen cleaners for your computer/laptop screens?

I'm wary about the kind i used as the last one i used left a little tarish on my screen that was only fixable by replacing the screen itself

Hardrive not detected by Windows 10. Help please!

My hardrive isn't being detected in Windows 10 via the USB 3.0 port. However it shows in the USB 2.0. I also put my card reader (USB 2.0) in the the USB 3.0 and it's detecting that no problem. 

When the hardrive is plugged in to 3.0 port  the light on the HDD shows up. It's just not showing up in Windows. I checked if the driver for 3.0 needs updating but it says it's up to date. I've no other 3.0 devices to test it. All I know is that the HDD works in the 2.0 port and my 2.0 card reader works in the 3.0 port. 

Any help would be really appreciated!

Thanks!

EDIT: I didn't do anything but tried it the next day and now it works. 

I had the same issue except mine didn't fix itself, I had to send it into ASUS for it to be fixed

I did a Reset My PC and after the computer did the full reset and reached 100% the computer rebooted and then i started getting Inaccessible Boot error and as i tried to fix it via troubleshooting found on via support site i discovered that my computer is not recognizing my C Drive as if it never existed so i took to my friend who is computer expert and he advised me to send it into ASUS for repair but apparently it was a quick simple fix as they received it on the 5th of may and shipped it out on the 9th and i go it yesterday.

According to their logs they sent back they replaced my screen to fix the screen issue and replaced my C:Drive

HaRdSTyLe_83
  • HaRdSTyLe_83

☆★RIP Open IV★☆

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:09 AM

I share my PC with all members of my family. Each has their own user account. I accidentally signed into my sister's user account, and as I opened the Start menu to sign out I noticed that the default 'Photos' live tile was displaying one of my pictures, from my user account. I opened her default 'Pictures' folder only to discover that all of our pictures have been thrown together into a number of folders within her 'default' Pictures folder. Obviously she's been f*cking around with my PC, but how does this happen? How do I rectify the problem? I'm currently running the latest version of Windows 10.

Edit: File History seems to suggest that things went awry when shortly after I updated my PC with the Creators Update. f*ck you, Microsoft.

that is why i dont share, its called a Personal computer for a reason :p

how did you signed in in your sister account, doesnt she have a password? do you have one?

• Audi and Nelly2K like this

I'll be your sinner in secret.

• Zaibatsu
  • Canada

Posted 19 May 2017 - 04:38 AM

that is why i dont share, its called a Personal computer for a reason :p

Oh you!

:turn: 

how did you signed in in your sister account, doesnt she have a password? do you have one?

I use a password. She doesn't. Why she doesn't create one is beyond me as I have the tendency to misclick in the lock screen (which was the case here).

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Goddess Of Light

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 22 May 2017 - 01:37 PM Edited by ΣΓ, 22 May 2017 - 01:37 PM.

Is there any place where you can buy mechanical keyboard switches? The Redragon I have (which is a clone of a million other Chinese keyboards) comes with brown switches and 8 extra blue ones (Outemu Blue). Both Cherry clones and apparently the blue ones come quite close to the original blue switches. Needless to say, I prefer the clicky sound and feeling of the blue ones but good luck finding any for purchase online. I'd like to replace all of the remaining ones with blue switches.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Jo N鄢yvi Pohjan Portit

• European-Union

Posted 22 May 2017 - 02:06 PM

Kustom PCs sell genuine Cherry switches en masse. They're £1.20 each though, PCB mount and no provision for LEDs, so you'd better really want them.

Alternatively, just buy a £50 Cherry MX-Board 3.0 with blues and live without the RGB peacock tails.

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Goddess Of Light

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 22 May 2017 - 03:08 PM

That much? Never mind then lol. I used the 8 blue switches they gave me for the keys that I most commonly use in games (especially GTA).

I probably should have saved for a Tesoro Gram Spectrum even though importing it from the US is expensive and a bit of a headache (potentially). I like the RGB feature to be honest, regardless of common conception, but the other thing I like about a lot of these keyboards is the raised key design which makes cleaning a lot easier.

HaRdSTyLe_83
  • HaRdSTyLe_83

☆★RIP Open IV★☆

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 22 May 2017 - 03:44 PM

Kustom PCs sell genuine Cherry switches en masse. They're £1.20 each though, PCB mount and no provision for LEDs, so you'd better really want them.

Alternatively, just buy a £50 Cherry MX-Board 3.0 with blues and live without the RGB peacock tails.

the Rgb i can live without, but i couldnt live without some backlight on my (home) keyboard

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Jo N鄢yvi Pohjan Portit

• European-Union

Posted 22 May 2017 - 04:50 PM

I see backlighting as a complete gimmick, not fundamentally better than RGB in that respect. On a desktop keyboard I've never really understood the appeal, hence why I bought a silly aluminium body Filco instead of a Corsair or a Cooler Master.

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Goddess Of Light

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 22 May 2017 - 06:30 PM Edited by ΣΓ, 22 May 2017 - 06:34 PM.

Got mine for about $60 and it's aluminum body too. Crazy to think that I would have spent about five times as much on a Tesoro.

It's a gimmick but I don't understand the hate. You either think it looks good or you don't. I think the appeal comes from the fact that it's supposed to look futuristic or something. I don't think there's any practical reason for having a backlight of any sort for people who are experienced at typing or whatever.

I also only got an RGB one because it gives you more color options. I don't actually use more than one color. I typically choose a blue color to match the other electronics\devices on my desk. I also chose this particular keyboard because of the design (which is similar to the Gram Spectrum). It's quite tiny and almost the entire surface is occupied by keys (~96%).

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Jo N鄢yvi Pohjan Portit

• European-Union

Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:22 PM

I nearly bought a keyboard with no keycap markings at all. Personally I want my keyboard to look nice but above all feel amazing to type on. I have got a stack of custom keycaps to go on at some point though.
  • ΣΓ likes this

HaRdSTyLe_83
  • HaRdSTyLe_83

☆★RIP Open IV★☆

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 22 May 2017 - 11:50 PM

I see backlighting as a complete gimmick, not fundamentally better than RGB in that respect. On a desktop keyboard I've never really understood the appeal, hence why I bought a silly aluminium body Filco instead of a Corsair or a Cooler Master.

mostly to see what you are typing when you are in the dark, in my office at work its pointless , but in my room i cant see the keys unless i turn the light on

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Goddess Of Light

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 23 May 2017 - 03:06 AM

I can find most of the keys without even looking. Typing doesn't require seeing the actual keys if you have a decent amount of experience.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Jo N鄢yvi Pohjan Portit

• European-Union

Posted 23 May 2017 - 10:31 AM

I game in a well-lit room (obviously not directed towards the screen though). I don't really get gaming in darkness; even the NumLock light on my Filco is bright enough to be distracting when it's dark in the office, I found backlighting even worse. Horses for courses, though.

Andreaz1
  • Andreaz1

♪ ♫

• Members
  • Sweden
  • Helpfulness Award
    Draw Contest Winner 2016

Posted 23 May 2017 - 06:34 PM

I've been looking for a new keyboard for a while but I can never find anything that fits my criteria. Backlighting is #1 though, couldn't live without it now that I've had it. Every time I have to ues my cheap laptop which doesn't have it is a pain.

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Goddess Of Light

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 23 May 2017 - 06:43 PM Edited by ΣΓ, 23 May 2017 - 06:44 PM.

I don't really get gaming in darkness; even the NumLock light on my Filco is bright enough to be distracting when it's dark in the office, I found backlighting even worse. Horses for courses, though.

I'm the type of guy that can fall asleep with the lights on. It doesn't really bother me. However, I also don't get doing things on the computer in the dark. It's apparently not good for your eyes either or it's just some hearsay I keep hearing.

I've been looking for a new keyboard for a while but I can never find anything that fits my criteria. Backlighting is #1 though, couldn't live without it now that I've had it. Every time I have to ues my cheap laptop which doesn't have it is a pain.

I don't think it's the lack of a backlight that's the problem. Laptop keys are generally quite sh*t. You have a better awareness of where most keys are on a PC keyboard (unless it's an Apple one or some sh*t with really low keys, like most laptops have).

Andreaz1
  • Andreaz1

♪ ♫

• Members
  • Sweden
  • Helpfulness Award
    Draw Contest Winner 2016

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:50 PM Edited by Andreaz1, 23 May 2017 - 09:51 PM.

I don't think it's the lack of a backlight that's the problem. Laptop keys are generally quite sh*t. You have a better awareness of where most keys are on a PC keyboard (unless it's an Apple one or some sh*t with really low keys, like most laptops have).

No, it's the backlighting. The keys aren't amazing but I'm not the kind of person who is fussy over that but I do look at the keyboard a lot while typing, I also use a lot of keyboards shortcuts and things like that. The laptop I very often use in very dimly lit conditions and sometimes I actually have to turn on a lamp to see what the heck I'm doing. I will never again buy anything that doesn't have a backlit keyboard.

yojc
  • yojc

2A03

• Members
  • Poland
  • Best Poster [Tech] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Tech] 2013
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 24 May 2017 - 03:55 AM Edited by yojc, 24 May 2017 - 03:56 AM.

Yeah, I saw backlight as a gimmick until I've actually bought a backlit keyboard, now I consider it absolutely essential. I especially regret buying a laptop with no keyboard backlight, this can get really aggrevating at times.

HaRdSTyLe_83
  • HaRdSTyLe_83

☆★RIP Open IV★☆

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 24 May 2017 - 02:33 PM Edited by HaRdSTyLe_83, 24 May 2017 - 02:39 PM.

The Filco majetouch still comes in my dreams hunting me for still not buying it :p the white tenkeyless with the black keys is so sexy

Spoiler

anyone knows of some camera stabilizers that arent crazy expensive? the DJi osmo mobile and karma grip are like 350$. i would like to get one to fit on the gopro so when im riding my bike the camera stays in a horizontal position even if the bike is leaning

Ai家妯b家
  • Ai家妯b家

Godfather

• BUSTED!
  • Nauru

Posted 24 May 2017 - 03:39 PM

Should i turn off my Wifi when i have my computer hardwired with an ethernet cord? Or does it no matter and not cause any slow in speed if both are connected?

Yeah, I saw backlight as a gimmick until I've actually bought a backlit keyboard, now I consider it absolutely essential. I especially regret buying a laptop with no keyboard backlight, this can get really aggrevating at times.

It doesn't really bother me if the keyboard is blacklit or not, I've been able to type without looking at the keys since i started messing with computers.

Only when i get a new keyboard do i need to look to find where certian keys are but after a few misteps i'm usually able to remember where all the keys are my Laptop has red background on my keys and tbh it doesn't help me much anyways 

Andreaz1
  • Andreaz1

♪ ♫

• Members
  • Sweden
  • Helpfulness Award
    Draw Contest Winner 2016

Posted 24 May 2017 - 10:44 PM

Should i turn off my Wifi when i have my computer hardwired with an ethernet cord? Or does it no matter and not cause any slow in speed if both are connected?

Is your Wifi not automatically disabled once you connect an ethernet cable?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users