yojc
  • yojc

2A03

• Members
  • Poland
  • Best Poster [Tech] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Tech] 2013
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 11 February 2017 - 08:18 AM Edited by yojc, 14 February 2017 - 04:25 PM.

if you've bought a prebuilt PC with Windows, it likely comes preinstalled. Otherwise, you'd have to do that yourself. You can install OS either via DVD or a pendrive (there are also less common methods like LAN, etc.)
  • Diani The Otter likes this

Arrow
  • Arrow

Void Walker

• Members
  • India
  • Helpfulness Award [WD&P Mega Topic]

Posted 11 February 2017 - 02:20 PM

How would I install windows onto my newly built pc? or does it come preinstall into something?

You should boot it up and see if Windows loads up. If not, I'd suggest using a Disk to install Windows from the Boot Menu or you could burn the image to a USB. That's much faster.
  • Diani The Otter likes this

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
  • Best Poster [Technology / Programming] 2016
    Best Poster [Programming] 2015
    Most Knowledgeable [Web Development/Programming] 2013
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2011
    Best Debater 2010

Posted 14 February 2017 - 12:51 PM

Windows 10 actually comes standard on a flash drive. Optical disks are so last decade.
  • Diani The Otter and Natasha like this

HaRdSTyLe_83
  • HaRdSTyLe_83

☆★☆★☆

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 17 February 2017 - 12:12 PM Edited by HaRdSTyLe_83, 17 February 2017 - 12:13 PM.

anyone having troubles with the last nvidia drivers? since i last installed them my Gpu TweekII monitor keeps showing that the base clock is at 570Mhz even if all games are running as it were before and unigine heaven shows that its hitting 2050Mhz. i rolled back to the older drivers and it works fine

Zombified Andy
  • Zombified Andy

Think different. Question everything.

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 17 February 2017 - 12:44 PM

I know it's a basic thing, but have you tried uninstalling the driver and fresh installing it? The express install option of Nvidia Experience tends to f*ck things up.

Windows 10 actually comes standard on a flash drive. Optical disks are so last decade.

I see I'm the rare example of someone that thinks a disk drive is a must. I really like music and when I really like an album I enjoy to buy the CD to support the band and as a collectible, it wouldn't make sense not to be able to hear them on the gadget that makes the most sense. Buying digital music for me is pointless, it's no different than using the streaming app I use all the time.

I also prefer a lot more to buy physical games than digital - again for collectibles - and playing older games I get used in CDs.

HaRdSTyLe_83
  • HaRdSTyLe_83

☆★☆★☆

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:59 PM

I know it's a basic thing, but have you tried uninstalling the driver and fresh installing it? The express install option of Nvidia Experience tends to f*ck things up.

i did re install the drivers but only thru the geforce experience express install. my thoughts were it was the Gpu TweekII monitor not working right with the new drivers since on unigine Heaven benchmark still shows the 2050 Mhz and everything is working fine.

ill have to try again later, maybe using the DDU to clean all old drivers before

Natasha
  • Natasha

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 22 February 2017 - 02:21 PM

Just gonna see if anyone can suggest something for me.

I need a Mini ITX motherboard, socket 1150 and can take 16GB RAM with at least 3 SATA connections and also the ability to have a PCI-E graphics card installed.  Built in wifi is preferably but not a total deal breaker.  Also the ability to use RAID.  I've been looking but I'm getting confused (all the details are what I've been told I need).

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

T鄝鄚 Maailman Ruhtinaan Hovi

• European-Union
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 22 February 2017 - 04:13 PM

The ASUS Z97I-PLUS is the only thing I can find matching all your requirements. Most will do 16Gb RAM (32 in this case) and a 1 6x PCIE 3.0 slot, several have 3+ SATA (this one has M.2 as well, I'd never build a system without them). Most can do RAID. Very, very few have onboard WiFi.

Natasha
  • Natasha

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 22 February 2017 - 04:16 PM

The ASUS Z97I-PLUS is the only thing I can find matching all your requirements. Most will do 16Gb RAM (32 in this case) and a 1 6x PCIE 3.0 slot, several have 3+ SATA (this one has M.2 as well, I'd never build a system without them). Most can do RAID. Very, very few have onboard WiFi.

This is the exact one I was seeing but trying to find it in stock anywhere is proving to be challenging! I just figured maybe I was being dense and there were loads more options out there. Thanks :cookie:

yojc
  • yojc

2A03

• Members
  • Poland
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 22 February 2017 - 04:38 PM

Here are a few alternatives, although the availability is very limited:
http://geizhals.eu/?...gglecountry=set

Natasha
  • Natasha

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 24 February 2017 - 09:15 AM

Here are a few alternatives, although the availability is very limited:
http://geizhals.eu/?...gglecountry=set

Cheers, I ende up going for the MSI but it's not got as many features as the ASUS that sivispacem suggested sadly, just couldn't find it in stock anywhere at a reasonable price. Waiting on my friend coming down to help me build everything then I can finally get a go at GTAV for myself!

Cheers guys! :^:

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Never Settle

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 25 February 2017 - 08:49 PM

qAsPfXz.png

What the hell is this? Why am I getting such sh*t idle temps? The fans also seem to randomly turn on and off while the temps stay mostly the same.

Andreaz1
  • Andreaz1

♪ ♫

• Members
  • Sweden
  • Helpfulness Award
    Draw Contest Winner 2016

Posted 25 February 2017 - 08:58 PM Edited by Andreaz1, 25 February 2017 - 08:58 PM.

You don't say which cooler you have on your card but I'm guessing it's of the semi passive variety which means the fans don't turn on until the card reachers (I believe) 60 degrees C.

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Never Settle

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 25 February 2017 - 09:10 PM

I don't recall getting temps like that while in idle before. Also, you can read exactly what card I have in my sig.

yojc
  • yojc

2A03

• Members
  • Poland
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 25 February 2017 - 09:23 PM

Maybe the radiator got dusty?

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Never Settle

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 25 February 2017 - 09:56 PM

Weird thing: it now sits at about 42-44 degrees. Also notice how the core clock was bumped up in the picture I posted. It now sits at 135 MHz, which is normal for idle.

Given that the GPU was at 0-1% utilization something else must have happened. Maybe NVIDIA f*cked up the drivers again or something. Clock speeds shouldn't spike up to 1000+ MHz for no reason.

blaze
  • blaze

Big Homie

• The Yardies
  • United-Kingdom
  • Super Special Gold Star 2006
    Draw Contest Booby Prize 2016
    Campaign Poster Booby Prize 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 25 February 2017 - 10:59 PM Edited by blaze, 25 February 2017 - 10:59 PM.

you sure it's not one of those cards than downclocks when idle? I know my card drops to 300mhz when idle and then goes back up when gaming etc so maybe it was in the high performance mode or whatever. still, 56c+ is strangely high for idle.

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Never Settle

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 25 February 2017 - 11:19 PM

What are you guys even talking about? Aren't all cards doing that these days? Of course the core clock is dynamic. It's dynamic even if you overclock the card (unless you modify the BIOS like some people have to stay at a constant max frequency). It's besides the point either way.

55 degrees is a bit steamy for idle and clearly it wasn't supposed to run at that frequency when almost nothing is going on the screen. lol I think I might have figured it out although I haven't been able to reproduce the temps I had before. I think I had Google Chrome running in the background or something. It actually relies quite a bit on GPU acceleration (as soon as I open it up the clock speed goes up in the 1000+ MHz range).

HaRdSTyLe_83
  • HaRdSTyLe_83

☆★☆★☆

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 26 February 2017 - 06:46 PM Edited by HaRdSTyLe_83, 26 February 2017 - 07:17 PM.

Weird thing: it now sits at about 42-44 degrees. Also notice how the core clock was bumped up in the picture I posted. It now sits at 135 MHz, which is normal for idle.

Given that the GPU was at 0-1% utilization something else must have happened. Maybe NVIDIA f*cked up the drivers again or something. Clock speeds shouldn't spike up to 1000+ MHz for no reason.

what are both you guys talking about? any card will idle OR not

in the Nvidia control panel you have option "power managment mode" if you set it to maximum performance instead of adaptive it wont idle, the GPU clock wont slow down to 135Mhz, mine is a Gtx1080 and sits around 1600Mhz or something in max performance, making the gpu hotter and from time to time the fans go on and off.

i have it in adaptive and it sits on 139Mhz when idle and it boosts to whatever overclook i set it to when any game starts

HJIBp.png

Also Geforce experience may be preventing your Gpu from idleing. press ALT+Z, go to options then privacy control. if you have it turn on for recording the desktop them it wont idle, maybe one of those two things changed after the latest update for you

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Never Settle

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 26 February 2017 - 07:30 PM

That option makes no difference to me. It was set on the performance mode but setting it on power management didn't drop the clock speed at all. Either it gets stuck sometimes or something in the background is triggering it but GPU usage is 0%, so that's weird.

I restarted my PC, still in performance mode, started Chrome, core clock shot up. Closed Chrome and it's back to 135 MHz, even in performance mode. Maybe it's dependent on the BIOS of the GPU but I don't think this mode is supposed to keep your clock constant. I think it's meant to reduce the amount of variation while gaming. JayzTwoCents on YouTube for instance modified the BIOS on his old Titans to keep the clock constant all the time (kinda like old school CPU overclocking). I don't think you can do this normally or at least not on all cards.

U8HvjAw.png

HaRdSTyLe_83
  • HaRdSTyLe_83

☆★☆★☆

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 26 February 2017 - 08:05 PM Edited by HaRdSTyLe_83, 26 February 2017 - 08:10 PM.

yeah, that happened to me aswell, sometimes it seems that even after you switch the power mode and restart that the choices dont apply. try shutting down your system entirely. turn the power supply switch off until all leds in the mobo are off.

In that picture of yours, at maximum performance the GPU should never Idle at all, it should sit at your 980ti base clock no matter how mutch memory usage.

maximum performance = your GPU wont drop bellow the GPU base clock

adaptive = it Idle at 135Mhz

having a constant clock, i trully dont see the benefit of it, if you are not using it it should be idleing and having lower temps

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Never Settle

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 26 February 2017 - 08:45 PM Edited by ΣΓ, 26 February 2017 - 08:47 PM.

I was kinda trying to prove that the setting has nothing to do with the clock speed behavior. In that test I actually did turn off my PC and the clock speed definitely doesn't stay at the base clock as you say even in the performance mode. Again, this could differ from vendor to vendor based on the BIOS. Some offer different features.

After turning it off yet again it sits at 135 MHz and 44 degrees (dropped from 50-ish). Truth be told it is a bit hot in my room, kinda like a hot summer day but my body hasn't been very reliable at telling temperatures recently (I'm recovering from lung related diseases). Maybe the performance mode does get the core clock stuck after some time of usage only, because the GPU doesn't stay stuck that way all the time. I had it set to performance for ages and I remember benchmarking the GPU and it always dropped to 100-200 MHz after I closed the game or tool that stressed it. Not sure what's happening now.

I set it to adaptive again. I always assumed the performance mode gave you something like a frame or two advantage because with it on the GPU would always be just as ready as it was a moment ago to process tasks but in reality it probably makes no difference.

Street Mix
  • Street Mix

Boss

• Members
  • Norfolk-Island

Posted 07 March 2017 - 10:40 PM Edited by Street Mix, 07 March 2017 - 10:47 PM.

I have bought a used PSP Go. It works fine but a slider on the right side is loose i.e. not connected to the main part. I dunno whether it supposed to be like this or is it indeed a problem. Any tips on fixing this by myself?

Ai家妯b家
  • Ai家妯b家

General

• Members
  • NATO

Posted 11 March 2017 - 10:51 PM

So what would cause my ping to jump wildly from 70's-120's within seconds? when my usually ping is in the low teens

I'm also only getting 13mbps out of my usual 75-80mpbs i am hardwired but even wireless i still get around 55-60mbps

I've already reset my router still getting same issue in fact i had to restart my router twice because it kept rebooting itself like it would start sending wireless signal and then it would drop and restart again did this four times before i pulled the plug to restart it.

Presidential
  • Presidential

lol

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 March 2017 - 08:45 PM

So what would cause my ping to jump wildly from 70's-120's within seconds? when my usually ping is in the low teens

I'm also only getting 13mbps out of my usual 75-80mpbs i am hardwired but even wireless i still get around 55-60mbps

I've already reset my router still getting same issue in fact i had to restart my router twice because it kept rebooting itself like it would start sending wireless signal and then it would drop and restart again did this four times before i pulled the plug to restart it.

When it's about a week ahead of the day I have to pay Charter my ping gets higher and my internet gets slower. I get like 55-60 a second on wifi until that time. Same old thing every month.

Ai家妯b家
  • Ai家妯b家

General

• Members
  • NATO

Posted 13 March 2017 - 09:09 PM

When it's about a week ahead of the day I have to pay Charter my ping gets higher and my internet gets slower. I get like 55-60 a second on wifi until that time. Same old thing every month.

I found out what the issue was, i had a week line, as the clip broke off i was using tape to keep my ethernet cord in place even though it was tight the end was sorta pinched so the wires weren't working correctly.

I cut the cord and make a new end and now getting my 70mbps back and pings in the 10's

Natasha
  • Natasha

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:41 PM

I cut the cord and make a new end and now getting my 70mbps back and pings in the 10's

Amazing how something as simple can keep working and make you assume it's fine. Good stuff!

Audi
  • Audi

-893-

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by Audi, 4 weeks ago.

So what do you guys do to keep dust to a minimum inside your cases? And how do you clean them after time?

Natasha
  • Natasha

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 4 weeks ago

Basically try and ensure your machine's not on the floor. That always helps! Also if there's a side panel to be in place, make sure it's on, the ammount of people who leave panels off for access is astonishing, it's there for a reason, use it!

I normally dismantle computers between 6 and 12 months so I can blow the case out completely of all traces of dust.

yojc
  • yojc

2A03

• Members
  • Poland
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 4 weeks ago

I've covered every unimportant hole in the case with a piece of cardboard, and also changed the standard wire dust filters for a carbon one, typically used in exhaust hoods in kitchens​. That helped a lot, but it also increased the temperatures slightly.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users