Shou
  • Shou

y

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica
  • Best Signature 2013
    Best Signature 2012

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:11 PM

Basically the difference here is that k series processors and desktop boards are designed for overclocking and the others are not. If you overclock your processor it is suggested that you do not use the default fan that comes with it.

So based on this logic is that the 4960k can be over clocked and the 4590 can't. If you don't plan to overclock I'd go for the latter.

Use http://www.cpuboss.com to compare processors, it's easy to use. Or you could go to ark.intel.com to compare them yourself.

GreatGig
  • GreatGig

Ron Swanson, A Swan Song.

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:16 PM Edited by GreatGig, 18 August 2014 - 04:17 PM.

That site is excellent and incredibly useful to me. Thanks, man.

I have no interest in overclocking so I'll avoid any "k" versions then. I just read a quick guide all about Intel CPU's and that's cleared up a few things for me so at least I now know what I'm looking for.

Whilst I'm here, I was looking for a really nice looking mobo the other day (my PC is going to be in my living room in plain sight so I want something that looks good inside and out) and I stumbled upon the Asus Sabretooth Z97; a spectacular looking piece of hardware. Unfortunately, it's way out of my price range. Does anyone know of a great looking mobo that's under £100? My theme is red and black so I thought of the MSI Z87-G45. It's a looker and seems to deliver a lot of bang for my buck. Is it any good?

Here's a link for the MSI board: http://www.scan.co.u...n5dwaAouh8P8HAQ
  • Android likes this

Android
  • Android

Nitrogen iodine carbon potassium

• Zaibatsu
  • United-States
  • April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]
    Helpfulness Award [GTA V]

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:04 AM

Whilst I'm here, I was looking for a really nice looking mobo the other day (my PC is going to be in my living room in plain sight so I want something that looks good inside and out) and I stumbled upon the Asus Sabretooth Z97; a spectacular looking piece of hardware. Unfortunately, it's way out of my price range. Does anyone know of a great looking mobo that's under £100? My theme is red and black so I thought of the MSI Z87-G45. It's a looker and seems to deliver a lot of bang for my buck. Is it any good?

Here's a link for the MSI board: http://www.scan.co.u...n5dwaAouh8P8HAQ

I would say so. If you ever want to upgrade memory, you have more than enough space to do so. It supports 64GB, and most of the current "mainstream" Memory speeds. However, I'm not sure how much the DDR4 ready mobo's will cost on release. If DDR4 RAM doesn't interest you, just buy the MSI board :^:

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Empty Pleasures and Desperate Measures since 1994

• United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:13 AM

MSI apparent have been having some real quality control issues at the moment. Heard lots of recent reports about DOA stuff and intermittent failures. Asus Maximus VII Hero is c.£140 but exactly suits your theme.

The Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 3 is on Scan at the moment for £104 with a free case as a bundle.

GreatGig
  • GreatGig

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:58 PM

I saw the Asus a while ago and loved it so I might just save that little bit extra and see if I can catch it on sale.

The Gigabyte is quite tempting too, but I don't have the money right now so I might miss out on the offer. Thanks for the heads up though.

So now that I've narrowed down my mobo choices, I now have to find a good CPU. The other list I made for the AMD build had the FX6300 Black Edition. It's cheap and seems as though it would do the job. Is there an Intel CPU that's close to this one or can I get more bang for my buck?

a cactus
  • a cactus

origin of all that is good and mother to us all

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Macau

Posted 19 August 2014 - 02:06 PM

Has anybody used Chromecast? Giving it serious consideration to purchase this week. 

I've heard there's issues with lag when simply viewing a live stream from a random web page (as opposed to using an official Netflix/Hulu app, etc.)

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• United-Kingdom

Posted 19 August 2014 - 04:55 PM

If you want a bang-for-buck system I'd go FX8320. Circa £200 for a processor/motherboard combo which will be at worst a couple of FPS behind most i5 builds at 66% of the price. My overclocked one has similar overall benchmark performance to the average i7-3770k and significantly higher than the average 4670k if Passmark is to be believed.
  • GreatGig likes this

GreatGig
  • GreatGig

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:02 PM

My overclocked one has similar overall benchmark performance to the average i7-3770k and significantly higher than the average 4670k if Passmark is to be believed.

Wow, I had no idea overclocking could have such a big impact. I wasn't looking to oc my PC but I might look into it. The FX8320 sounds excellent. I'll definitely be sticking with AMD simply because, as you pointed out, I'll save just over 30%. Although, I cant find any red mobo's aside from the Asrock 990FX and that's more than twice as much as the Asus M5A97 I was going to get originally, so I might end up going with a blue theme instead.

Anyway, thanks for the help and advice, much appreciated. I'll share my build when it's eventually done.

Android
  • Android

• Zaibatsu
  • United-States
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:19 PM

I was going to recommend the Asus MAXIMUS VII Ranger, but it's out of your budget. It also follows the black/red color scheme.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• United-Kingdom

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:01 AM

My overclocked one has similar overall benchmark performance to the average i7-3770k and significantly higher than the average 4670k if Passmark is to be believed.

Wow, I had no idea overclocking could have such a big impact. I wasn't looking to oc my PC but I might look into it. The FX8320 sounds excellent. I'll definitely be sticking with AMD simply because, as you pointed out, I'll save just over 30%. Although, I cant find any red mobo's aside from the Asrock 990FX and that's more than twice as much as the Asus M5A97 I was going to get originally, so I might end up going with a blue theme instead.

Anyway, thanks for the help and advice, much appreciated. I'll share my build when it's eventually done.

My system theme was black and red before I went FX, as I was running an Asus Crosshair IV. You could get a Crosshair V, but they're very expensive for a board that's actually less feature-rich and arguably worse for overclocking than the Sabertooth, which is what I run.

For a midpriced motherboard that won't look silly with a black and red theme, try the Gigabyte 990FX-UD3.

Android
  • Android

• Zaibatsu
  • United-States
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:17 AM Edited by Android, 20 August 2014 - 07:18 AM.

I just realized I made a complete fool of myself. My apologies, I thought you were looking for an Intel board. That's what I get for not reading everything correctly.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• United-Kingdom

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:26 AM

He was originally, I only suggested AMD because of the serious bang-for-buck advantage.
  • Android likes this

Vanto
  • Vanto

Gangsta

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:52 AM

I had a microSD card for a while, and it worked perfectly for the first month or two, and since then, whenever I introduce in a computer (already tried with two), via USB or SD card port, it doesn't recognize. I also tried with another device in a console, but didn't recognize it. I've looked up different solutions, but neither worked. What do I do to make it recognizable?

GreatGig
  • GreatGig

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:09 AM

Apologies for the confusion. I'll definitely be sticking with AMD, the prices are far better.

That Gigabyte board looks great and has all of what I need. Also, one of the bundles offers some stuff I could really use (thermal paste, anti-static band, cable management kit) so that's an excellent find, man. Thanks for that.

Using pcpartpicker.com I've found that I've got a better build for only £20 more. Bloody brilliant.

Do any of you folks use a hybrid drive at all? I want SSD speeds but with a much lower price so I found a 1Tb Seagate drive for £54. Reviews are good and people seem pleased with it. I've even thought about using the Seagate drive as my main one and then buying a smaller SSD for the OS and a few games. What would you guys recommend?
  • sivispacem likes this

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• United-Kingdom

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:18 PM

Personally I'd buy a 120gb midrange SSD as a boot disk and 1tb standard 7200rpm HDD for a total cost of about £90. A Kingston SSDNOW is £45 on Amazon and you could probably pick up a Caviar Blue for under £40. If you could make do with a smaller boot drive (60gb) you could get both for under £70.

But to be honest a hybrid drive would probably be the best of both worlds.

GreatGig
  • GreatGig

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:47 PM

I think I'll stick with the hybrid for now then, they're a great balance between cost and performance so I'm happy.

Once again, thanks for the advice. Much appreciated. Now, I'm off to try and put Windows 7 on an old Mac and then try to resurrect and old PC of mine. Wish me luck.

yojc
  • yojc

~y

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Poland
  • Best Poster [Tech] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Tech] 2013
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 23 August 2014 - 06:56 AM

Just as a side note, I'd avoid Kingston SSDs. They lost all the reputation in my eyes since they've ruined V300 series without even announcing it. Now they're hands down the worst SSDs the money can buy.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• United-Kingdom

Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:08 AM

The SSDNow is older stock AFAIK but if you want a budget one you could do a lot worse than a Crucial M100

Stinky12
  • Stinky12

No title

• Members

Posted 04 September 2014 - 06:40 PM

Anyone here visit forums.overclockers.co.uk?

I'm having a hard time joining that site.

Create my first account and activated it, got a e-mail saying it need a while for them to add me to the forums, so I looked it up as to how long it would take. Some say at least 24 hours and "allow admins to e-mail you" must be enabled. I had it disabled when I registered, so I decied to create a new one with a different e-mail address.

Now I created my 2nd accout with a different e-mail address, everything was fine, except for the password section, there was some glitch where the password I created was not acceptable. I created a few other ones, but none of them worked when I submit my registration. Then when I tried again, it says I was already registered and my e-mail was already is use. I went to check my e-mail and they send me a link to activated it and so I did.

I created my 3rd account with another different e-mail address and this time everything went smoothly and also activated my account and waited until they added me to the forums.

A few days later, out of all the accounts I submitted, they decided to add me to the forums with my 2nd account, the account that had a broken password glitch. So now I cannot login in because all the password I've tried does not work. I clicked on their forgot password link and all I get is a blank page.

I looked up their maintenance page for help and they say to contact one of their "Commissarios". I tried to contact one of them and the problem is I'm not allow to view their profile, therefore I can't send them a e-mail for help.

I found a link on their site that says "Contact US", but it sends to a webmaster, I doubt I'll get any response from that.

El Oso Blanco
  • El Oso Blanco

That guy with the AK

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 September 2014 - 08:59 PM

So I'm doing my first PC build. Few questions...

-if my gpu+cpu combo is able to run modern games at high/max with decent FPS?

I currently picked out an Intel i5 4690k quad core 3.5 ghz (not sure about overclocking yet)

with my gpu being a Gigabyte Radeon R9 280x (which seems budget to me compared to expensive higher end cards)

-secondly, I'm wondering what size/brand of case I should get to house these parts with an ATX motherboard (ASRock brand incase it matters)

-Lastly, a reliable brand of HDD? (Will upgrade to SSD in future.) Looking anywhere from 500 GB to 1 TB. 

I haven't pulled the trigger with any of current selected parts. Just looking for some feedback as I like to hear reviews from others, especially since it's my first build. :)

WesternMotorcycleCo.
  • WesternMotorcycleCo.

Western Motorcycle Company Cruisers

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 05 September 2014 - 09:23 PM

Can someone tell me if these PCs are any good? I'll be using it for FSX, GTA V/IV/SA/VC

http://www.amazon.co...09948236&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.co...ndefined&sr=1-3

http://www.amazon.co..._hu-rd_add_1_dp

yojc
  • yojc

~y

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Poland
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 05 September 2014 - 09:35 PM

@El Oso Blanco: the combo you chose is good. As for the HDD - ST1000DM003 or WD10EZEX

@TPenterprise: first two are definitely not worth it, the last one is nothing stellar either. To be honest, it'll be hard to find a decent prebuilt PC.

WesternMotorcycleCo.
  • WesternMotorcycleCo.

Western Motorcycle Company Cruisers

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 05 September 2014 - 11:13 PM Edited by TPenterprise, 05 September 2014 - 11:13 PM.

Can someone give me advice on this PC?

SECOND HAND

Dell Optiplex 3020 Gaming PC. 

Latest Gen i3-4130 3.4Ghz
6GB DDR3 Ram
2GB MSI GTX750Ti Twin Frozr OC
32GB aData SSD
500GB Hard Drive
Keyboard/Mouse
Win 7 64-bit

Owner says he can swap out the i3 for an i7 4790 for extra cash (not yet sure how much) would this make a significant difference?

Owner claims it can run new games at 1080p on high settings, and judging from youtube videos of similar machines I don't doubt him. Would this be able to run GTA V to a decent standard? He will take a swap for my PS4 which I don't even use so it's a fair trade imo.

yojc
  • yojc

~y

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Poland
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 06 September 2014 - 11:08 AM Edited by yojo2, 06 September 2014 - 11:08 AM.

Swapping i3 to i7 is definitely not worth it as far as gaming's concerned. If anything, i5-4460/4590 would be ideal.

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Left to rust

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 September 2014 - 03:30 PM

My PC fell down to the floor (hit the bottom part) and now doesn’t start up. Could the hard drive be damaged?

yojc
  • yojc

~y

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Poland
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 06 September 2014 - 04:18 PM

Presumably yes, although you must specify what exactly happens when you try to boot it up.
Also check inside for any unplugged components/cables, etc.

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Left to rust

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 September 2014 - 06:13 PM

Nothing in principle. I tried to boot as soon as it happened and it didn’t start up or make any kind sound.

Oh man... I can’t loose the hd and all its data again...

yojc
  • yojc

~y

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Poland
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 06 September 2014 - 06:35 PM Edited by yojo2, 06 September 2014 - 06:35 PM.

Well, is there even any reaction when pushing the power button? If not, then I'd start with most obvious - checking if the button is still connected.

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Left to rust

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 September 2014 - 06:41 PM Edited by RoadRunner71, 06 September 2014 - 06:51 PM.

I think it is, I can see it too well as theres some kind of grille that covers it though. There are some cables that are not connected but I don't know if they were already like this before this happened (you can see I dont have the less idea about this kind of stuff...).

EDIT: see the black and yellow cables that lie in the bottom of the case? Those are disconnected

bQrZ756.jpg

Android
  • Android

• Zaibatsu
  • United-States
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]

Posted 06 September 2014 - 08:02 PM

If I'm not mistaken, those are either for LED lights for the button, or they're the power up cables. Both are connected to the front button.

I could be wrong.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users