Random Questions...v2.0

2,772 replies to this topic
MHH
  • MHH

Consulente Infinito

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:21 PM

QUOTE (Chris Fromage @ Thursday, Jun 6 2013, 08:54)
QUOTE (Master Headhunter @ Thursday, Jun 6 2013, 12:18)
Which programs would you recommend for video cutting/editing?
I would like to cut bits from films here and there but obviously not want the whole movie.
I'd like something quite accurate with the cutting, but don't need much else besides cutting.
Thoughts?

You can cut video's with Windows Movie Maker.

It seems like it would work. however none of my files will import.
Now naturally I could convert them to whatever format(s) windows movie maker reads, but again I would rather not.
Typically I'm trying to cut .MP4 & .MKV to some extent.

So preferably looking for a program where I wouldn't have to convert the file.

Whiskey
  • Whiskey

Homie

• The Connection

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:26 PM

QUOTE (SilverRST @ Thursday, Jun 6 2013, 14:28)
For an example, GTA SA. GTA SA can be easily played on iGPU like Intel HD4000 and there is no need for a beast like the GTX series.

But if you install ENB, this will still bring cards to their knees.

Spuds725
  • Spuds725

Party Animal

• United-States

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:41 PM

QUOTE (Master Headhunter @ Thursday, Jun 6 2013, 16:21)
QUOTE (Chris Fromage @ Thursday, Jun 6 2013, 08:54)
QUOTE (Master Headhunter @ Thursday, Jun 6 2013, 12:18)
Which programs would you recommend for video cutting/editing?
I would like to cut bits from films here and there but obviously not want the whole movie.
I'd like something quite accurate with the cutting, but don't need much else besides cutting.
Thoughts?

You can cut video's with Windows Movie Maker.

It seems like it would work. however none of my files will import.
Now naturally I could convert them to whatever format(s) windows movie maker reads, but again I would rather not.
Typically I'm trying to cut .MP4 & .MKV to some extent.

So preferably looking for a program where I wouldn't have to convert the file.

http://download.cnet...4-75218346.html

Freemake video converter is great for switching between video formats and qualities (ie reducing a blueray down for use on a phone)-- it does have limited editing/stitching ability.

It also has a youtube plugin for your browser that will allow you to download youtube vids.

The link above is to a cnet download of this-- I primarily use this to rip DVDs

SilverRST
  • SilverRST

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 June 2013 - 02:13 AM

QUOTE (Whiskey @ Thursday, Jun 6 2013, 22:26)
QUOTE (SilverRST @ Thursday, Jun 6 2013, 14:28)
For an example, GTA SA. GTA SA can be easily played on iGPU like Intel HD4000 and there is no need for a beast like the GTX series.

But if you install ENB, this will still bring cards to their knees.

Yes, true. You got a point. But still, if you don't plan on playing GTA SA with ENB, you are fine with iGPU.

Btw, in our country the new Haswell Intel i7-4770K costs exactly the same as i7-3770 without the unlocked multiplier tounge.gif
And not only that, the MSI Twin Frozr OC GTX680 is much cheaper now, 359 euros and the MSI GTX770 OC 379 euros.
Just 20 euros difference. Though I wont get the i7-4770K because it's not compatible with MSI Z77A-GD65.
I want that because of the better sound quality. The GD45 has crackling sound, some users experienced this.
And I always use my earphones.

friendly luggage
  • friendly luggage

Catch a ride!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:38 PM

With radiators is it better to have them as an intake or exhaust? If set as an intake, would the air exiting the fins into the case be really hot? Could cause other temps to rise.
With the exhaust position, wouldn't warm air from inside the case ruin the CPU temps? I'm just wondering because I would consider water cooling in the future.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Thou shalt not commit logical fallacies

• United-Kingdom

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:40 AM

QUOTE (illegal_luggage @ Sunday, Jun 23 2013, 23:38)
With radiators is it better to have them as an intake or exhaust?

Intake, but push/pull is the best really. Intake fan on the front to push air through the fins, and an outlet fan facing the same way on the back to pull it back out. So like this, flowing into the case:

user posted image

Ambient case temperature doesn't really matter so much with water cooling because the CPU block tends to be larger and the cooling air tends to be drawn directly from outside the case.

Bad.boy!
  • Bad.boy!

SA modder

• Members

Posted 06 July 2013 - 06:09 PM

Does anyone know some good audiophile grade amplifier brand?

Crokey
  • Crokey

Builders Like Erections

• Zaibatsu
  • Belize

Posted 06 July 2013 - 07:31 PM

QUOTE (Bad.boy! @ Saturday, Jul 6 2013, 19:09)

Do you mean Domestic or Professional and would you need them to be decorative or can they be 19" rack mount amps?

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Thou shalt not commit logical fallacies

• United-Kingdom

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:59 PM

QUOTE (Bad.boy! @ Saturday, Jul 6 2013, 19:09)

I know several. What price range are we talking? My father is a huge audiophile and has about 10k worth of stereo equipment from a variety of manufacturers, including a custom AVI amp.

36Chambers
  • 36Chambers

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 07 July 2013 - 03:26 AM

Guys I'm about to get a new phone soon and I'm having a hard time deciding which one to get. My top 3 picks are, the HTC One X, Galaxy S4, and Galaxy Note 3. Which one of these three would you guys recommend and why? If you have any other phones to recommend I'm all ears. Thanks.

xChaos Reigns
  • xChaos Reigns

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day.

• Members

Posted 07 July 2013 - 03:32 AM Edited by Stealth 666, 07 July 2013 - 03:38 AM.

Hello. I have a question. I hope this is the right sub-forum and thread. If it isn't please refer me to the correct one.

I recently bought a new TV (Samsung LED) that did not have a 3.5mm headphone jack. My Xbox 360 headset (Turtle Beach XLC) worked fine with my old TV as it had a headphone jack. My headset came with splitter cables to use in this scenario (TV with no headphone jack). I plugged in each of the relevant cables correctly (I think/hope). I just tested it and my voice does correctly go through my mic to the game, however, all audio such as other people's voice and game sounds go through my TV and not my headset as I would like it to. Like I said earlier, everything worked perfectly with my old TV and setup so I am assuming that I have made an error somewhere in the setup or I require another component or cable. I have gone through my TV's and 360's audio settings to no avail.

Edit: If it's relevant my TV is connected to my 360 with a HDMI cable.

I can make a diagram on paint showing my setup or I can take a photo of the back of my TV or cables if required.

Thanks in advance to anyone that is able to help me smile.gif

AndyGanteks
  • AndyGanteks

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:11 PM

Um, i have 2 noob questions.

First off, how do you move around objects in Blender
Second, is there a way to convert a .3ds file to .bin

?

F4L?
  • F4L?

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:16 PM

QUOTE (36Chambers @ Sunday, Jul 7 2013, 14:26)
Guys I'm about to get a new phone soon and I'm having a hard time deciding which one to get. My top 3 picks are, the HTC One X, Galaxy S4, and Galaxy Note 3. Which one of these three would you guys recommend and why? If you have any other phones to recommend I'm all ears. Thanks.

I'd forget the note, it's too f*cking huge, screw that sh*t.

Look, the HTC One and S4 are really close to on par, choose which one you think is better, I have the same dilemma right now, i'd say the only real advantage of the S4 is better support because it's so damn popular.

Ryan
  • Ryan

Ginga Ninja

• Canada

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:23 PM

I agree with Finn, the Note II is just too massive to be a practical phone you carry around with you. If it were my choice, I'd go for the S4. I have an S3 and really like it. Both phones are basically on par with each other and each has it's strengths and weaknesses. The major ones being the camera and the body. The Camera on the One is only 4MP (with some special technology that apparently makes it better but really makes it suck from what I have seen) vs the 13MP on the S4. The One has an all metal (aluminium I believe) body while the S4 is just plastic.

friendly luggage
  • friendly luggage

Catch a ride!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:46 AM

QUOTE (Stealth 666 @ Sunday, Jul 7 2013, 03:32)
Hello. I have a question. I hope this is the right sub-forum and thread. If it isn't please refer me to the correct one.

I recently bought a new TV (Samsung LED) that did not have a 3.5mm headphone jack. My Xbox 360 headset (Turtle Beach XLC) worked fine with my old TV as it had a headphone jack. My headset came with splitter cables to use in this scenario (TV with no headphone jack). I plugged in each of the relevant cables correctly (I think/hope). I just tested it and my voice does correctly go through my mic to the game, however, all audio such as other people's voice and game sounds go through my TV and not my headset as I would like it to. Like I said earlier, everything worked perfectly with my old TV and setup so I am assuming that I have made an error somewhere in the setup or I require another component or cable. I have gone through my TV's and 360's audio settings to no avail.

I can make a diagram on paint showing my setup or I can take a photo of the back of my TV or cables if required.

A TV without a headphone jack? Madness! What Samsung model is it by the way? I see you said you've gone through settings but have you tried making the voice preferences on the Xbox set to "play through both".

xChaos Reigns
  • xChaos Reigns

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day.

• Members

Posted 08 July 2013 - 01:49 PM

QUOTE (illegal_luggage @ Monday, Jul 8 2013, 23:46)
QUOTE (Stealth 666 @ Sunday, Jul 7 2013, 03:32)

A TV without a headphone jack? Madness! What Samsung model is it by the way? I see you said you've gone through settings but have you tried making the voice preferences on the Xbox set to "play through both".

Yeah, it's crazy. I thought a headphone jack would be as obvious as a HDMI port but nope, it has several HDMI ports and not a single headphone jack lol. This is the model I have. Yep, I've tried each of those settings.

friendly luggage
  • friendly luggage

Catch a ride!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 08 July 2013 - 02:36 PM

Could you post a picture of this "Audio Out (Mini Jack)". Perhaps you could get a Mini Jack to 3.5MM adapter?
user posted image

Android
  • Android

Powerful

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:47 PM

Is the Nexus 4 a good phone? I'm thinking of getting it as a temporary phone.

Looking to get the Galaxy S4

deathdealer
  • deathdealer

The Yardies

• Members

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:04 AM

I need some advice. I have $875 saved for a desktop which i'm planning to use as a gaming rig. I'm not comfortable with building a pc from scratch yet as this is my first desktop. I would also like to note that i have swapped ram and adaptors out before. With that out of the way, i want to buy a desktop that could play any pc game that came out last year/early this year but the graphics do not have to be at maximum. Is there any desktop that you guys would recommend to get?

F4L?
  • F4L?

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 July 2013 - 06:00 AM

QUOTE (Antagonista @ Tuesday, Jul 9 2013, 07:47)
Is the Nexus 4 a good phone? I'm thinking of getting it as a temporary phone.

Looking to get the Galaxy S4

The screen is great, it's a nicely sized phone which a processor as powerful as the S4 (Pretty close anyway) and it's a bargain for what it is, As a temporary phone it seems like overkill though because you could easily use the Nexus as a replacement for an S4. The main downside is battery life which is a little crummier than the S4.
I need some advice. I have $875 saved for a desktop which i'm planning to use as a gaming rig. I'm not comfortable with building a pc from scratch yet as this is my first desktop. I would also like to note that i have swapped ram and adaptors out before. With that out of the way, i want to buy a desktop that could play any pc game that came out last year/early this year but the graphics do not have to be at maximum. Is there any desktop that you guys would recommend to get?

I would recommend you don't buy a desktop and build it yourself, it's not very hard at all, it's like putting together lego, and for $875 you could build one that lasts the next two years playing games at high. If you really really don't want to build it yourself, find a local tech store that will do it for you, i've heard in the US you can have someone put a PC together for you and sometimes even install windows for 50-100 bucks, which is still a better deal than what you get with a pre-built desktop.

So go find a PC shop and ask them about it, you order the parts, then take them all in with them, we can give you a list of parts from newegg to order if you're unsure about it.

deathdealer
  • deathdealer

The Yardies

• Members

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:39 PM Edited by deathdealer, 09 July 2013 - 10:48 PM.

I may know of one place that might do that for me but I might just chance it and do it myself. what worries me is putting the right amount of thermal paste for the processor and getting the correct power supply/cooler. anyways, does anyone have any opinions on the intel i7-4770k processor as it relates to gaming? anyways, here's what I'm looking at so far

processor
*intel i7-4770k ivy bridge 3.5Ghz LGA 1155 77W

RAM
* G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

Video Card
*EVGA 02G-P4-3658-KR GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST SuperClocked 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0

That's what I generally want however i can't seem to find a LGA 1155 motherboard with more than one PCIe slot. so my next question is does anyone know of one they can recommend?

edit: I just found one a few minutes after I posted this. so my new question is, are the following any good for gaming?

kamuran
  • kamuran

Soldier

• Members

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:13 AM Edited by kamuran, 10 July 2013 - 12:29 AM.

I may know of one place that might do that for me but I might just chance it and do it myself. what worries me is putting the right amount of thermal paste for the processor and getting the correct power supply/cooler. anyways, does anyone have any opinions on the intel i7-4770k processor as it relates to gaming? anyways, here's what I'm looking at so far

processor
*intel i7-4770k ivy bridge 3.5Ghz LGA 1155 77W
I wouldn't get an i7 4770K only if you are playing games. i7 processors are made for video editing, photo editing, graphics design and any other kind of CPU intensive programs. You wouldn't see a difference in an i5 and an i7 in games. You will see a difference in i5s and i7s if you are editing media. If you are just playing games, I recommend getting an i5 processor instead of an i7 because most of the games that are out today only use 4 cores and 4 threads.

Ask yourself if you really want to spend the extra $80 on an i7 to play games which won't even utilize all of the threads. Also, are you going to be doing a lot of video editing or anything that uses a lot more processing power? If you don't have a budget and you don't care about spending more money on a processor, of course go ahead and spend the extra money for a faster processor.

RAM
* G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

You don't need more than 4GB of ram to play games. I would not get 16 GB of ram. That's complete overkill and you won't even see a difference of the performance in games. More ram would be used for video editing, rendering and 3d graphics design. I recommend getting 1x4 gigs of ram, if you want to get another 4gb later on you can run it in dual channel. But if you are only going to play games, get 2x2gb of ram.

Video Card
*EVGA 02G-P4-3658-KR GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST SuperClocked 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0

deathdealer
  • deathdealer

The Yardies

• Members

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:11 AM

actually, I did forget to mention that I was going to do create some games using the unity engine and I am also planning on using programs like blender. my bad.

yojo2
  • yojo2

~y

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:47 AM

@deathdealer: this rig is far, FAR outbalanced for gaming. Go for the i5-4670k (assuming you will be overclocking the CPU), and 4-8GBs of RAM tops, and get a better vid card than GTX650Ti Boost.
Also mind you, these CPUs don't have LGA1155 socket but rather LGA1150, and they won't fit in the LGA1155 mobo.

friendly luggage
  • friendly luggage

Catch a ride!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:18 AM

@deathdealer I apply thermal paste by putting a small blob on the middle of the processor. The amount of paste you need to apply is very small (less than pea size). It'll spread when you mount the heatsink. Most coolers come with paste pre applied these days.
Building a computer is quite simple if you follow a guide. You'll enjoy it too and gain useful knowledge.

F4L?
  • F4L?

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:00 AM Edited by finn4life, 10 July 2013 - 09:03 AM.

Here's a good little build for you, i coloured the post because lists tend to look bad in white, and

Motherboard.
- 6 x Sata III
- 3 x PCI-E 3.0 x 16 (Also 1 PCI x 1, and 1 Mini PCI-E)
- 1 x HDMI In, 1 HDMI Out, DVI, Optical, Display Port.
-4 x USB 3.0
- 2 x USB 2.0
-Bluetooth 4.0/3.0 (Could be useful for a headset.)
- Built in Wifi
-6 Audio ports.

Those are rear ports, ignoring the other connectors.

Asrock Z87 Extreme 6 - $199 on Special. [/b]

CPU
Yoyo's recommendation. i5 4670K$239.99

GPU
I chose a dual fan, they are supposedly a little quieter, and having two fans would - by common sense rules - help keep it a little cooler.
Gigabyte GTX760 Superclocked with Dual fans $259.99 (Single fan, $249.99

Case
Antec 300 also available with blue lighting, it's a good sized practical case that works well, you can find something else if you choose.
Antec 300 regular $59.99

Blue Lighting $64.99

RAM
Kingston 2x4GB DDR3 1600Mhz
http://www.newegg.co...E16820104360RAM $56.99

PSU
For a PSU I picked One I though would be good, However I don't really know all that much about which are the best bang for buck and best quality, Yoyo and a few other members seem to know a lot more than I do, So I picked one which can be used as a placeholder for price until someone suggests something better.
CoolerMaster RS550 Watt PSU (12 V rails v2.3) [b]$59.99

So all up it comes to a total of $876 dollars, however that's without peripherals (Monitor, mouse, keyboard) and also without shipping which might add another 40-50 bucks, If you want to cut back, try a single fan GTX760 GPU which are about 10 bucks cheaper, and perhaps try for a 4GB or 6GB ram kit, you can save another 15-20 dollars there.
You can also look for a cheaper motherboard if you choose, you did mention more than one PCI-E slot so I picked one with 3 x 16 ones, but you can browse on your own for something cheaper, you could save another 20-40 dollars there, so if you choose to shed back there is up to 70 dollars to be saved with minimal performance losses. I wouldn't change the GPU or CPU personally, but if you really need to cut back more than 70 dollars, perhaps try a GTX 660 which are about 45 dollars cheaper than the one I listed. GPU wise if you're doing stuff other than gaming, perhaps stick to the i5.

yojo2
  • yojo2

~y

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:54 AM Edited by yojo2, 10 July 2013 - 11:26 AM.

Z87 Extreme6 mobo seems like an overkill, Extreme4 should be more than sufficient. wink.gif
Also, CoolerMaster eXtreme Power is quite 'meh', maybe even bad - when tested on HardwareSecrets it blew up, and they didn't even load it up fully. No to mention the atrocious efficiency, which was measured to be between 73-78% - horrible. Definitely not a good deal any way you look at it, it's not even that cheap. There are many far better options for similar or slightly higher price:
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817182066 / http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817182261
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817151094
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817116017
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817182131 / http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817182132

deathdealer
  • deathdealer

The Yardies

• Members

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:46 PM

thanks for the help guys! I already have a keyboard and I'm actually planning to use my flat screen as a monitor since it does support it. all I need is a mouse. For future reference, how do I get the power supply that is right for me?

yojo2
  • yojo2

~y

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:00 PM

For finding a proper quality PSU basically the only option is to look through reviews (and I mean proper review on a load tester - not just some bloke connecting it to PC, measuring voltages and writing HURRRR IT WORKS 10/10). http://www.realhardt...vos/Page541.htm - here is an aggregate of PSU review, it should help you a whole lot. The other thing is power - you could use online calculators, but most of the time they say you'd need a much more powerful PSU than necessary... but still, they can give you some whereabouts of how much power you need, but don't take them too serious.

kamuran
  • kamuran

Soldier

• Members

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:08 PM Edited by kamuran, 10 July 2013 - 08:34 PM.

I recommend using corsair parts because I have owned them for over 2 years and I have not had a single problem with them. Also, a lot of people use corsair and they don't have problems with their products either. And I'm a Corsair fanboy. hehe

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817139005
For the ram, I recommend this.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820233170
Or on Amazon because it's cheaper.
http://www.amazon.co...rsair vengeance
I also have wanted to get this motherboard for myself when I upgrade. I have read a lot of good reviews about it.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813130687
Or this motherboard if you want to spend more money.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813131989

Here's how to apply thermal paste.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users