Random Questions...v2.0

2,636 replies to this topic
yojo2
  • yojo2

~y

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:05 PM

QUOTE (finn4life @ Monday, Apr 16 2012, 08:28)
There is a much much more complicated answer

Why make the simple complicated wink.gif 8 bits (b) = 1 byte (B), and that's about it.

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:33 PM

@Slamman
Wait. The only reason you want Ultimate is for a desktop theme and sound files that are only installed with Ultimate?
Just download it: http://news.softpedi...er-129857.shtml
It took me all of 5 seconds to Google it and found that as the first result.

I thought you wanted something tangible from Ultimate that isn't in the other versions like BitLocker or Virtual Hard Disk Booting something that would make it worth the time and effort to even ask the question.

@finn4life
I'm a bit confused. You want to copy the files from a 16GB SD card to a 32GB SD card. Why would you think you have to format it from whatever format it's going to come in. The phone will likely support either FAT16 and or FAT32, if it supports NTFS I would be surprised. Since FAT16 can only support up to a 4GB drive size so it's likely the 16GB and 32GB will be FAT32 from the start. But don't quote me on that since I don't have a 16GB or 32GB SD cards to look at.

Here's what I would do first. Put the 32GB card in the phone fresh from it's package, just to see if the phone sees it as is. Go ahead and write something to it just to double make sure, take a photo using the phone and store it on the card or just anything.
If it's all good then just put the older card in your PC, copy the files to the PC, then swap it for the 32GB card and copy the files from the PC to the new card and finally test it on the phone again. Don't lose or delete the files on the 16GB card until you're 100% sure all of the files are good and safe on the 32GB card, even if you know they are good and safe on the PC as well.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Godawful-Disturbed-Earl Root

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:02 PM Edited by Slamman, 16 April 2012 - 10:57 PM.

When I was looking to upgrade firstly from XP use, Windows 7 was already out, but I felt I found a deal with Vista Ultimate, I paid $80 for my copy, I could have probably got Windows 7 used for $50 to $75 range, but Ultimate is what swayed me. I already have the OS installer, the question is in regards to lower level OS installs, from the same disc in some cases, based on COA as mentioned above

The other thing is Dreamscene and Tinker are examples I used, not as specific, perhaps, but Bitlocker for Windows 8 is moving to a new form, and the Vista version was the first iteration as I understand it. It's likely to move many Windows features to the CLOUD
(I'm referring to Bit Locker as a feature now moved to the Cloud)

I've a better question of sorts, I just spilled a can of soda on my 160GB XP formatted HDD, used a paper towel to soak up the liquid and it appears dry to the touch, how many want to place a bet on it's working without issue!???!

I'm pretty confident it can still be used!

F4L?
  • F4L?

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:16 AM Edited by finn4life, 17 April 2012 - 02:13 AM.

QUOTE (Slamman @ Tuesday, Apr 17 2012, 06:02)
I've a better question of sorts, I just spilled a can of soda on my 160GB XP formatted HDD, used a paper towel to soak up the liquid and it appears dry to the touch, how many want to place a bet on it's working without issue!???!

I have always had a rule, leave it to dry for as long as possible in a warm place, then try it.
I have had electronics go through the wash, i just let them dry out and when im sure they are dry give them a go, usually they work.
-
Thanks Wolf, i read somewhere i might have to format the card before use for some reason, i didn't format last time so i guess i don't have to this time.
-
Alright a week ago i asked about renaming songs with proper album name and such for my SGS2
QUOTE (Wolf68K)
If you're using iTunes already there is nothing wrong with that. It can do a lot of the same things that MP3Tag can do

Alright, i have tried Itunes now, i had a feeling this would happen.
According to Itunes everything is named properly, when i go to my phone it's all screwed up still.
I will try using a program called double twist and moving all music from Itunes to my phone (I will delete the music off my phone) and see if it gets it right.
If not i will try MP3 tag like you suggested.
--

Another question, would my phone benefit at all from a faster read/write speed, like 3 or 4MB/s vs 20MB/s

leik oh em jeez!
  • leik oh em jeez!

The boatman stays with the boat.

• Members

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:51 AM

QUOTE (Slamman @ Monday, Apr 16 2012, 14:02)

Should be fine so long as you didn't pressurize it to force soda through the breather hole and you give it ample time to dry.

That said, be more careful next time.

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:37 AM

Don't shake the drive trying to get the liquid out. I would like to think the bag of dry rice trick would work here too. Just place it carefully in the bag. Don't move it around too much.

@finn4life
What do you mean that music is still screwed up? Either the tag information is there and correct or it's not.

Slamman
  • Slamman

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:13 AM

Be careful, he sez
Yeah! It spilled sitting next to the drive I'd just swapped out of my laptop, so we're talking a 2.5 inch drive, I believe it was on the PCB side too, so, a bit worrisome, not entirely feeling confident! haha

F4L?
  • F4L?

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:20 AM Edited by finn4life, 17 April 2012 - 06:01 AM.

QUOTE (Wolf68k @ Tuesday, Apr 17 2012, 13:37)
@finn4life
What do you mean that music is still screwed up? Either the tag information is there and correct or it's not.

Sorry i should elaborate.

According to Itunes the very music on my phone is named correctly, Artist and Title are correct for the most part, these are songs i downloaded from the itunes store and they are named correctly here (These are not on my phone yet though)
user posted image

As i circled in red the track number appears there, not in the title though.
Some other songs i have Are named just like the example image, SOng number in ne column, then Title and artist ect in separate columns, yet on my phone the song number appears in the title.
01 Random song
02 Random song
So unless i know the song number or the artist i cannot find the song.
-
Another problem is that As shown in the photo the Artist info is correct according to Itunes, in some instances the Artist is correct on itunes but shows as 'Unknown artist' on my phone.
I do have some music that is incorrectly tagged/named, but some of it IS correctly named and Tagged (According to Itunes) but still doesn't show up properly on my phones music player.
-
What i Have done now.
I deleted all the songs on my phone after moving them to Itunes, i then added Artwork and edited some incorrectly named songs and i am now using a program called DoubleTwist to sync my music from Itunes back to my phone.

Hopefully the Music is named properly this time because i am properly syncing it.
If this fails i will try a different Music player that uses a naming system that seems to work with Itunes.

EDIT: It finished syncing, The album artwork is fixed and the numbering is fixed as well.
Now my issue is that i accidentally synced everything to my phones storage not my SD card and as it turns out Cutting (as in right click cut/paste) from the SD card doesn't delete the content there so now i have copies of everything.

WHat i will do is move my music from the SD card to PC (Just in case), then copy music from phone memory to SD card and everything should be sweet...Now i see the benefit of a faster SD card, Gigabytes worth of data being tranferred takes a while.

Slamman
  • Slamman

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:37 AM

Micro USB, I got a phone using it to charge, and apparently to send data, but I've never come across it until I got the phone, is it rather common outside of phone use at all?

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:02 PM

@finn4life
That is a strange one. When you copied the music to the phone after it had been in iTunes did you have it overwrite the same tracks that were there before? If not that might have part to do with it.
Took me a while to figure out how you got that listed sorted and looking like that. Are you trying to get it on the phone in the order you're showing in iTunes? When you say on the phone "01 Random song, 02 Random song" are you sure it's not in order by track number instead of order by song title like what you want. It could be that your phone either doesn't support playlist files or at the very least it doesn't support iTunes playlists. I'm not sure you ever said what phone it is, not sure that would help either.
As for copying it to your phone and not the SD card, you should have put the SD card in the PC and copied it directly.

@Slamman
Micro USB is used in a lot of places besides phones. Portable HDDs, cameras, GPS units, PDAs that aren't phones.

Slamman
  • Slamman

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:28 PM

I'm without any mUSB, but hoping to get my hands on one, I noted for about $5, there's an AC charger head unit MicroUSB that detaches from a wall outlet to become a data cable, that is the best option, but in all my hardware runs to the Goodwill I can't recall coming across one, and they get a ton of cell phone accessories there

I'm dropping the HDD into a plastic bag with rice, thought it's been air drying for about 12 hours or more

F4L?
  • F4L?

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:12 PM Edited by finn4life, 18 April 2012 - 11:12 PM.

QUOTE (Wolf68k @ Wednesday, Apr 18 2012, 03:02)
@finn4life
That is a strange one. When you copied the music to the phone after it had been in iTunes did you have it overwrite the same tracks that were there before? If not that might have part to do with it.
Took me a while to figure out how you got that listed sorted and looking like that. Are you trying to get it on the phone in the order you're showing in iTunes? When you say on the phone "01 Random song, 02 Random song" are you sure it's not in order by track number instead of order by song title like what you want. It could be that your phone either doesn't support playlist files or at the very least it doesn't support iTunes playlists. I'm not sure you ever said what phone it is, not sure that would help either.
As for copying it to your phone and not the SD card, you should have put the SD card in the PC and copied it directly.

Yeah the MicroSD card directly in the PC would have been faster but unfortunately i don't own the MicroSD reader anymore.
Also my phone is the SGS2, i would have thought it stupid if it didn't accept itunes playlists considering it's supposedly a music phone too.

I think Itunes must have automatically fixed some of the issues i had which i think were caused by my old phone, i think Itunes Automatically fixed up the numbering of songs for me at least.

EDIT: Read your post again, i did not overwrite the songs in my phone with the fixed files, i deleted then added them.

Slamman
  • Slamman

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:45 PM

I'll be testing the HDD that got 'damp', put it in a bag with rice, let it sit all night, and it's going to get powered back up today! haha Will apprise of the results here

F4L?
  • F4L?

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:43 AM

^How did the HDD go?
--

Question of my own, a very very strange problem i have.

I went and visited some friends, stayed for a few days, during that time i was using their WiFI and my laptop would not go to sleep via closing the lid it would stay powered and then after a short while a BSOD would occur, the fans would go full ball and the 'Preparing for crash dump' goes to 100% then it freezes and i am forced to hold the button down to turn the laptop off.

Hibernating didn't work either it just froze.

Before all of this happens the WiFi would go unresponsive totally and then all helll breaks loose, i tried all of MS's ways to stop this happening by changing settings and all that, nope didn't help.
As soon as i left their house and their wifi the problem went away,
--
Now this problem has returned except on my own internet wi-fi, internet stops working and the same thing as i wrote above happens.
What the hell?

Slamman
  • Slamman

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:57 AM Edited by Slamman, 19 April 2012 - 03:03 AM.

I'm posting from the XP 160GB right now, so it worked, WHEW! Weight off my mind!
I won't be doing something like that again! ha ha ha

Famous Last Words

Wifi or a Net connection that's "always on" from Window's Wizard's own standpoint, it can prohibit things like that, In BIOS, setting the system to not use a timed WAKE mode, or Internet WAKE instruction, a good place to start, make sure you can control your computer on it's end, when connected to any other device, that's part of it, I'm not sure when I last experienced similar, other then my Black Screen of Death seemed to be a cause of Internet issues at that time I was on this ALWAYS ON connection from the router as well.

On some helpful occasions, it will tell you it can't go into standby or hibernation due to a particular function, that happens upon reboot, like the message prompting to turn off hibernation or delete the saved restore data, often you have to go that route and try it again from a clean slate perspective

F4L?
  • F4L?

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:32 AM

QUOTE (Slamman @ Thursday, Apr 19 2012, 13:57)
I'm posting from the XP 160GB right now, so it worked, WHEW! Weight off my mind!
I won't be doing something like that again! ha ha ha

Famous Last Words

Wifi or a Net connection that's "always on" from Window's Wizard's own standpoint, it can prohibit things like that, In BIOS, setting the system to not use a timed WAKE mode, or Internet WAKE instruction, a good place to start, make sure you can control your computer on it's end, when connected to any other device, that's part of it, I'm not sure when I last experienced similar, other then my Black Screen of Death seemed to be a cause of Internet issues at that time I was on this ALWAYS ON connection from the router as well.

On some helpful occasions, it will tell you it can't go into standby or hibernation due to a particular function, that happens upon reboot, like the message prompting to turn off hibernation or delete the saved restore data, often you have to go that route and try it again from a clean slate perspective

Glad to see it works.

I have already changed those settings, i did it last time and it didn't help.
After posting before i moved closer to my router as i was on the edge of it's range and the issue went away.

I noticed last time this happened i was on the edge of the routers range too.

Slamman
  • Slamman

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:19 AM

It can cause your computer to freeze, no doubt. When nothings happening and waiting is not a viable option, stop your browsers loading (done on it's URL taskbar location) and stop any WIFI signal receiver, a HARD ON / OFF switch for your laptop in my case, then wait a few seconds for the natural process to end, you can then turn it back on and at times, this will be the only remedy required

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:11 AM

Any idea exactly what Wifi card you have in there?

Slamman
  • Slamman

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:56 AM

Dells use a soft, HOT KEY of FN+F2 key for a Wifi on / off

To the end of finding out what you have, use SIV, or Sandra, etc. Everest, to read your WiFi card variety without having to rely on the proper driver, unless of course, you know the driver, that helps, one solution to that end is the support DOWNLOADS from the manufacturer, specific to make and model

F4L?
  • F4L?

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:08 AM

QUOTE (Wolf68k @ Friday, Apr 20 2012, 14:11)
Any idea exactly what Wifi card you have in there?

No i am going to try find out.
If it happens again i will come back.

fireguy109
  • fireguy109

It's a long way to the top

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:36 AM

Hello. It's been a while since I ducked in this section of GTAF.

I'm having problems with the Anti-virus on my laptop. I use Kaspersky and am about 1/3 of the way through my subscription. In the past 2, maybe 3 weeks I've had major problems with my computer speed. I got frustrated the other day and checked my CPU. I'm using between 70 and 95 percent when nothing is running, right after booting up. Task manager says it's all Kaspersky's fault. I disabled protection for a few minutes and the CPU dropped to between 10 and 20. The thing ran super fast, booting up 3ds max took about 45 seconds instead of 10 minutes.

So...

What do you recommend I do? I've never had a problem before, and like I said I'm only 1/3 through my subscription, so I don't want to axe it... but disabling idle scans and all sorts of crap in the options didn't help at all, and I'm starting to suspect it's the reason my laptop doesn't always boot up. confused.gif

Thoughts?

kmlwin.1996
  • kmlwin.1996

Hold up

• BUSTED!

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:52 AM

I had that problem too.

Kaspersky 2011 got a problem. It will slow down all the PC's processes after the boot up. I just keep wait till my PC gonna run smoothly or that thing will hang down.

I solved that problem by disabling the Kaspersky's start up. So, it runs smoothly after the boot up. Then, I just enable the protection after boot up. That's all I do.

Any solutions guys? I am having that problem right here...

Crokey
  • Crokey

Builders Like Erections

• Zaibatsu
  • Belize

Posted 21 April 2012 - 04:02 PM

If the machine starts up quickly with the program disabled, and then you enable it and runs as it should do then there are some programs that delay the startup of a program. Unfortunately Windows doesn't natively do this, so you'll have to use a third party program, search google with "delaying a startup program" and you'll find lots of reviews with links to various tools that can do this.

However that's just using another program to cover up another programs faults. The best things to do first is run The Usual Suspects

1) Antivirus Scan
2) Spyware Scan
3) Defrag
4) Registry Cleaner
5) Disk Cleanup
6) Updates
7) Defrag Again

Try that and see if it works, if not try uninstalling the program and reinstalling it again.

Once you've done this try and see if it runs any better, if not contact Kaspersky directly to see if it is a known issue and if there are any fixes, or suggestions from them. If that doesn't work, then cut your losses and remove it and use something else, there are plenty of free anti-virus programs that are just as good if not better.

Slamman
  • Slamman

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 April 2012 - 01:35 AM Edited by Slamman, 22 April 2012 - 01:56 AM.

Some are hogging more resources then others, and often when reviewed, their intrusion into normal operation is taken into account. I believe they've scored well in the past, but I think part of what makes Avira compelling is it runs light, without being an intrusion to operational performance, AND it's FREE!! So, it might behoove you to look into dropping a paid subscription, using a free AV and MS' Essentials instead, add to that Prevx free CSI application, which only runs on your demands.

Should ask a question myself, I've been tethered mousically to my Acer Aspire since the touchpad died, but it occured I've already added a Blue Tooth USB dongle to a port where it stays (nearest the AC jack), I believe getting a wireless mouse that will work off any BT module like this is something I'd prefer. I have one already that uses two USB ports to power a receiver, and that's more cumbersome then having a USB mouse!! So.... What might you suggest that's the best bargain, and you can get perhaps the mouse by itself?

fireguy109
  • fireguy109

It's a long way to the top

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 22 April 2012 - 02:44 AM Edited by fireguy109, 22 April 2012 - 02:55 AM.

Thank you for the replies. smile.gif Kaspersky has an option to disable it at startup in its options, and I'm familiar with msconfig, so I'll try that first.

1) Antivirus Scan - done x2, with both Malwarebytes and Kaspersky. Nothing at all besides some kind of registry key error, which when fixed did not fix the problem.
2) Spyware Scan - done.
3) Defrag - done, didn't really have an affect as my computer automatically defrags once every few days.
4) Registry Cleaner - I'll look into this. Recommendations?
5) Disk Cleanup - again, I'll check this.
6) Updates - tried it, no help.
7) Defrag Again - it's scheduled for tomorrow.

Thanks for the help Gareth and kmlwin, I'll try your suggestions as soon as I can! cookie.gif cookie.gif

Crokey
  • Crokey

Builders Like Erections

• Zaibatsu
  • Belize

Posted 22 April 2012 - 01:05 PM

QUOTE (fireguy109 @ Sunday, Apr 22 2012, 03:44)
4) Registry Cleaner - I'll look into this. Recommendations?

Thanks for the help Gareth and kmlwin, I'll try your suggestions as soon as I can! cookie.gif cookie.gif

You could try CCleaner, it's a fairly basic program for cleaning the registry, but it does the job and will back up the registry before you clean it.

As I say you can try that out, if still doesn't do it then as I mentioned earlier, try uninstall and re-install, NB: in between the two stages run the registry cleaner, or if Kaspersky have a registry cleaner through their website for doing this then run that as well.

Mockage
  • Mockage

deadringer

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:07 PM

Is there any way to dual-boot Linux Mint 12 (Lisa) and Windows Vista Home Premium (32 bit)?

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:23 PM Edited by Wolf68k, 22 April 2012 - 05:26 PM.

I some what disagree with Gareth's steps.
Defrag should be the last thing you do.

Disk Cleanup is redundant after using CCleaner, personally to me if you're using CC then DC is completely useless since CC will get things that DC won't get at all.

A step to add in is chkdsk. With Windows 7, not sure about Vista, using the Error-checking from the drive Properties->Tools will work just fine. Make sure nothing is checked and tell it to scan. If it reports an error then check just the auto fix, then click schedule and restart. When the system restarts it'll do an error check and be able to fix the problems.
With XP the same tool is useless because the problem has to be really bad before it'll suggest fixing anything. Mostly because I'm currently too tired right now I'll skip how to run chkdsk from command line and assume you're on 7.

My steps are: virus scan, spyware scan, reg cleaner, chkdsk, defrag.
An optional step between chkdsk and defrag is pagefile flush. System control panel->Advanced->Performance->Settings->Advanced->Change. If the auto manage is checked, uncheck it. Other wise take notes of what the settings are.
Select "no pagefile" click OK until you're out. The system might say that the changes won't take effect until you restart, so do that.
When you come back now you defrag. After the defrag go back to the pagefile settings and reset things back to the way it was. You might or might not have to restart again, you can do it anyway just to be safe. There should be no need to defrag again after you've replaced the pagefile.

@Mockage
You didn't say what is already installed. If Vista is already installed then try this guide http://apcmag.com/ho...alled_first.htm
Note they are using Ubuntu but the same steps can used with any version of Lunix

Mockage
  • Mockage

deadringer

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:33 PM

I have Vista installed first. I'm going with a LiveCD method anyway, considering I don't wanna any data loss. Thanks for the link though.

Crokey
  • Crokey

Builders Like Erections

• Zaibatsu
  • Belize

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:52 PM

QUOTE (Wolf68k @ Sunday, Apr 22 2012, 18:23)
I some what disagree with Gareth's steps.
Defrag should be the last thing you do.

Disk Cleanup is redundant after using CCleaner, personally to me if you're using CC then DC is completely useless since CC will get things that DC won't get at all.

I only throw in a defrag in the middle, as sometimes this is all it needs without having to go through all the other steps, although there is no harm in doing the other steps as well.

And I only suggest using Disk Cleanup, as sometimes I've found in the past CCleaner has deleted some temporary files, sorry "temporary" files, that Disk Cleanup doesn't delete, and leaves me having to cleanup up after CCleaner to get things back again, which is OK if you know what you're doing, but even so it does kinda p*ss you off a little.

I also didn't recommend using chkdsk at this stage as 9/10 times, slow running computers are due to software or bloat from the OS, if there were recorded error messages then I'd go down that route.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users