15 replies to this topic
glenster
  • glenster

True

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 December 2009 - 01:41 AM

Can someone check to see if this works on PC? I got this tip the other day from
someone who got it to work on PS2, and I don't have SA installed.

How to use the Rhino cannon to boost speed by Diego Mendez

Press Q and E, and when the turret turns 180 degrees and stops, change to 1st
person view, and the "camera" won't be locked to the turret. Let the turret go
back to the front to get out of 1st person view.

Ryan
  • Ryan

Ginga Ninja

• Canada
  • Best Forum Ledby 2011
    Best Forum Ledby 2010
    GTANet Contribution Award
    GTANet Helpfulness Award

Posted 28 December 2009 - 01:45 AM

I don't quite get what is supposed to happen here.

If you point the turret behind you while in a tank and fire, you'll gain a speed increase while going forward. I've done it many times. This doesn't seem to be like what your explaining though. whatsthat.gif

GTA Phreak
  • GTA Phreak

• Members

Posted 28 December 2009 - 02:03 AM

Yes you do get a speedboost from firing the cannon in opposite direction of travel (I thought that was well-known).
I've never tried manipulating the camera view to actually see forward will firing the gun backward though.

It can also propel the Rhino when it's engine is off after a trip in the water: Drive it into shallow water until the engine drowns and then blast it back on dry land with the cannon. The engine will stay off until CJ exits and re-enters.

Or you can utilize it as a submarine and propel it under water with the cannon. CJ will eventually run out of air, but there is a glitch which occasionally will give CJ a fresh lung-full of air if there's a nearby explosion just as he runs out of air (and the Rhino can produce such explosions at will).
I'm not sure about the exact conditions required so I can't make it happen every time, - but I once managed to trigger it in a car too. I drove into water chased by a FBI rancher and it landed next to me, and I blew it up by putting a SMG out the window. Somehow the timing was just right and I was rewarded with a full breath-bar.

HolyGrenadeFrenzy
  • HolyGrenadeFrenzy

drrnage E ih unarEy

• Members

Posted 28 December 2009 - 05:48 PM

If this trick is mastered well enough to do it to an undrowned Rhino then with the proper line up and a little luck you could get new super jump records for sure.

I'll give it a go soon and report back.

Of course, I am useing PS2 v.1 instead of PC or Xbox but at least the news might help a little.

GTA Phreak
  • GTA Phreak

• Members

Posted 28 December 2009 - 06:46 PM

I'm not sure how that relates to "superjumps".
But you can blast the Rhino to an underwater undrowning spot, the effect will be the same as if you blasted it back on dry land.

I just tested the camera manipulation, and it works as advertised on PC v1:
Hold Q & E for rear view and wait for the turret to turn to point backwards, then while holding Q & E switch to 1. person view (cinematic view works too) then let go of Q & E. The gun will now be locked pointing backwards.
When you switch back to normal 3. p view the gun will revert to normal operation (tracking the camera)

I also did a short test with a speedometer. The Rhino tops out at 94 kph w/o gun assist, With gun assist I got it up to 160 kph on the abandoned airstrip.

Did a run with engine off too, - it still managed 160 kph.

HolyGrenadeFrenzy
  • HolyGrenadeFrenzy

drrnage E ih unarEy

• Members

Posted 28 December 2009 - 06:56 PM Edited by HolyGrenadeFrenzy, 28 December 2009 - 07:14 PM.

^^I'm referring to using the half way marks of the certain areas that allow for a super jump when you drive an undrowned vehicle off the edge of the ocean floor.

It is tricky yet I have gotten jumps of the 181 m height with it in the past.

The location is easy enough to find for this.

Usually it is a high feet measurement but there is this one jump I did in an infernus and that bad boy was in the thousands of feet long and several hundreds of feet high. The conversion is in the stats is something that I have never really liked. It is saved but to my dissapointment the measurement is in meters or yards instead of feet on the stats, for height anyway.

I figure that, since the old method in Vice City of getting a superior jump using the Rhino is now a more valid option for GTA SA, we might as well consider the greatest exploit for jumps. wink.gif

Do you follow me on this? smile.gif

GTA Phreak
  • GTA Phreak

• Members

Posted 28 December 2009 - 07:13 PM

Ahh, you mean extreme insane jump bonuses from warping back from gray hell to dry land (?).

I'm not sure I would categorize that as a jump though, but if you're looking for a maximum height warp then I would try the water between SF and the desert.
At the deepest point the seafloor is actually below warp depth, logically that should yield the best height difference for a warp (but I haven't tested for that).
I'm pretty sure that that point is deeper than 180 m. (it's pitch dark down there, and the night vision goggles doesn't do much good either)

HolyGrenadeFrenzy
  • HolyGrenadeFrenzy

drrnage E ih unarEy

• Members

Posted 28 December 2009 - 07:17 PM Edited by HolyGrenadeFrenzy, 28 December 2009 - 08:13 PM.

1stly Yes, that is exactly what I was refering to.

Generally, I don't just drive off but instead go with a very fast vehicle and nitro and even looking for terrain to gain a bump sometimes, but that doesn't always work or anything like that.

More than half of the time the car vanishes and I am back to zero and starting the attempt again. It has been awhile since humoring myself this way was an endevour but new finds open the issue up again.

2ndly

Really?

How interesting.

I have dropped through that before and warped, myself yet finding the location a second time is something that I haven't done.

Between SF and the desert?

You mean in the Maria Trench area?

Or somewhere closer to shore?

Do you have a range for me?

Thanks......I think. lol.gif

------------------

Don't get me wrong, this effect with the Rhino has all kinds of great use potential. icon14.gif

@ glenster > Nice find reporting! cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif

GTA Phreak
  • GTA Phreak

• Members

Posted 28 December 2009 - 08:45 PM

I just fired up control center, here's a deep spot:

user posted image

So I overestimated the depth, warp depth is in fact 100.0 meter (going below 100m. causes a warp). Every time I warped back onto the Robada intersection keeping the vehicle.

HolyGrenadeFrenzy
  • HolyGrenadeFrenzy

drrnage E ih unarEy

• Members

Posted 28 December 2009 - 10:32 PM

QUOTE (GTA Phreak @ Dec 28 2009, 15:45)
I just fired up control center, here's a deep spot:

user posted image

So I overestimated the depth, warp depth is in fact 100.0 meter (going below 100m. causes a warp). Every time I warped back onto the Robada intersection keeping the vehicle.

Very Nice! icon14.gif

I'll have to check it out.

This Rhino glitch might not be the best use of this but, hey, I've gotta try it. cool.gif

Thanks again, GTA Phreak! cookie.gif

Diego Mustard
  • Diego Mustard

Ultimate Criminal

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 29 December 2009 - 05:19 PM

I am Diego Mendez, the same one who sent Glen about the Boost...

I would like to say hello to everybody..

I liked the Rhino gun boost since I accidently found it...

But mind, you can't move the camera while you get in 1st. Person, nor you can't destroy those low flying helicopters like the Police Mavericks that doesn't leave you at all...

I just tried with my friend, but he said he can't see well in 1st. Person view..

And that trick of making a Rhino a submarine is very nice...

But I wonder what'll happen if I make it a submarine by going to one of the underwater places were I can make C.J. stand inside water... It might be a nice trick, but it's risky, because the breath bar may get empty before I even do it..

But i am waiting for someone to prove if it works or not by this way...

I registered just for this !

Post soon,
Diego Mendez

HolyGrenadeFrenzy
  • HolyGrenadeFrenzy

drrnage E ih unarEy

• Members

Posted 29 December 2009 - 05:26 PM Edited by HolyGrenadeFrenzy, 29 December 2009 - 06:10 PM.

@Diego "DM" Mendez=^^Welcome, nice find! cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif

Your discovery may come into greater use than you have imagined. colgate.gif

QUOTE (Diego "DM" Mendez @ Dec 29 2009, 12:19)
I am Diego Mendez, the same one who sent Glen about the Boost...

I would like to say hello to everybody..

I liked the Rhino gun boost since I accidently found it...

But mind, you can't move the camera while you get in 1st. Person, nor you can't destroy those low flying helicopters like the Police Mavericks that doesn't leave you at all...

I just tried with my friend, but he said he can't see well in 1st. Person view..

And that trick of making a Rhino a submarine is very nice...

But I wonder what'll happen if I make it a submarine by going to one of the underwater places were I can make C.J. stand inside water... It might be a nice trick, but it's risky, because the breath bar may get empty before I even do it..

But i am waiting for someone to prove if it works or not by this way...

I registered just for this !

Post soon,
Diego Mendez

Yes, it will work.

We undrown vehicles all the time around here.

Some locations of undrowning are bigger than others, though.

Whether you can go straight in use the submarine method and enter an undrown area is currently a question, though. I may attempt this myself. wink.gif

I suggest the corner south of Back O Beyond, yet there is another one just west of there a few hundred+/- meters.

Once you are walking around you have to push the ride into the undrowning area just like CJ has to enter then when it falls down into a proper vehicle position it is free to drive underwater at will. The area just under and to the right of (east) the Gas Station in Whetstone has one that might work as well.

There are more such locations that may work as well. The Hanky Panky Point is kinda a tough squeeze for this, IMHO, yet it can be done there and this is the location that I first run down a Rhino using the standard methods. I stuck with this area for a long time then I discovered the Whet Stone Area on my own and it is that area I prefer now for most undrowning.

Moving some of the more recently discovered BP/EP/FP/DP vehicles back to LS from the 4-star areas require this maneuver.

Edit: Eventually, I'll vid out this sort of stuff yet need to figure out the whole DVD to youtube process.

glenster
  • glenster

True

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 December 2009 - 05:55 PM

Thanks--my walkthrough would be much slimmer without the good help! tounge.gif I knew
about the cannon boost, but this makes it easier in SA. (If there was any con-
fusion about how to get out of the Rhino "camera" lock, the fault is mine--GTA
Phreak has it the way Diego meant it.) And thanks to GTA Phreak for the Rhino
sub, etc., ideas, too.

Diego Mustard
  • Diego Mustard

Ultimate Criminal

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 30 December 2009 - 04:26 PM Edited by Diego "DM" Mendez, 30 December 2009 - 04:31 PM.

Yeah, but if i want to get Oysters easily, i choose the Jetpack... If i want to explore the ocean (I don't mean that ocean off the map), then the Rhino submarine is the job...

It can also help you in such missions which require you to chase a certain vehicle (Like "High Noon" for example)..

I'll try to find more things to submit, as i am happy that my name is now credited in Glensters Glimpse to San Andreas...

And Glenster is a legendary FAQer, because he has everything in his guides, (even things that aren't needed for 100%)..

Diego "DM" Mendez

Diego Mustard
  • Diego Mustard

Ultimate Criminal

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 13 January 2010 - 07:47 PM Edited by Diego "DM" Mendez, 14 January 2010 - 05:08 PM.

So, let me add the advantages and disadvantages about that..
  • Advantages
    - Boosts The Rhino from 94 to 160 K/PH
    - Destroys everything behind it
    - Boosts the Rhino back to land when drowned
    - Helps in chase missions like "High Noon" and such
  • Disadvantages
    - Attracts Police
    - Doesn't shoot choppers on flat land
    - Stuck with either Cinematic or 1st Person View
And that's really it..

Diego Mustard
  • Diego Mustard

Ultimate Criminal

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 31 January 2010 - 06:23 PM

I'll add that the same gimmick happens with firetrucks (S.W.A.T. Tanks, SA Hose Firetruck)... So three vehicles that do this gimmick...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users