Photo

MAG (Massive Action Game)

182 replies to this topic
CryptReaperDorian
  • CryptReaperDorian

Boss

• Members

Posted 18 December 2009 - 04:25 AM

Due to Bad Gateway errors I can't search if there was another topic for this.

Platform: PlayStation 3
Release Date: January 26, 2010 North America

Previously called MAG: Massive Action Game but shortened to just MAG, this game is a PS3 exclusive to be able to feature 256 people on one server. There will be 8 people in a squad, 4 squads in a platoon, and 4 platoons in a company (128 people). From my understanding it's multiplayer only. It's a FPS and features the use of APCs, tanks, airplanes, parachuting, vehicles, and so on. I say it looks much better than any COD game.

For more info. here's the Wikipedia page.

ioN
  • ioN

derp

• Members

Posted 18 December 2009 - 04:28 AM

100% better. I played the beta like everyday and loved every single part of it. Especially the 256 players with no noticable lag.

CryptReaperDorian
  • CryptReaperDorian

Boss

• Members

Posted 18 December 2009 - 04:32 AM

I know! I haven't played it yet, but atleast 30 FPS in this FPS (see what I did there?) while having 256 players is quite impressive. We're also talking about a console, NOT a PC.

Chadg
  • Chadg

Haters gonna hate

• Members

Posted 18 December 2009 - 08:36 AM

I loved the beta. Can't wait until this game comes out in January. I also love that there isn't really any lag at all, thanks to the very advanced servers. biggrin.gif

saintdave
  • saintdave

saintdaveô

• Members

Posted 18 December 2009 - 09:49 AM

You think this looks better than MW2? Donít be silly, graphics are clearly better and I know that with more gamers online things have to be sacrificed but this is bellow par with COD. Not that it bothers me that much, if the game play itself is good thatís the main thing. Can you aim down the sights though? Not watched much of the above video but for the early part the player is only shooting from the hip (as it seems). Not liking that white circle that appears on screen either, I take that is like some sort of sensor to show where gun fire is coming from?

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLAD, TBoGT and V all 100%

• Members
  • England

Posted 18 December 2009 - 10:41 AM

QUOTE (saintdave @ Dec 18 2009, 10:49)
You think this looks better than MW2? Donít be silly, graphics are clearly better and I know that with more gamers online things have to be sacrificed but this is bellow par with COD. Not that it bothers me that much, if the game play itself is good thatís the main thing. Can you aim down the sights though? Not watched much of the above video but for the early part the player is only shooting from the hip (as it seems). Not liking that white circle that appears on screen either, I take that is like some sort of sensor to show where gun fire is coming from?

I think MAG will be a amazing game when it is released next year. But how its going to be compared to COD, well were going to have to wait until we can actually play this game for real. Me personally i thought MW2 was slightly overhyped and after a while of playing it i kinda got bored of it. So we all have different opioins on MAG v COD but i do think that MAG will be the slightly better game. But well have to wait and see yet. Cant wait.

The Unvirginiser
  • The Unvirginiser

You ain't gettin' your tings?!

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 18 December 2009 - 08:14 PM

From what I saw from that vid, it doesn't look better than COD. I'll be really disappointed if it comes out after MW2 and isn't as good.

Gezim
  • Gezim

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 18 December 2009 - 09:39 PM

MAG doesn't interest me at all. First of all, what's with the name? MAG? Massive Action Game? How original. The concept of it is cool, I'll give it that. 256 players online duking it out sounds pretty badass. But can they actually back it up? From what I saw, the gameplay looks like crap. And will it always take 15 seconds to respond again?

In my opinion, instead of this, Zipper Interactive should have taken all this time developing a new SOCOM retail game that doesn't suck.

Chargr
  • Chargr

★★★★★

• Members

Posted 19 December 2009 - 12:12 AM

Not really my type of games, the graphics aren't really that great. I have the beta just stored on my PS3, haven't played in months.

Will I get it? Most likely not. You do need to have good strategy thats for sure.

Alick
  • Alick

L)VE

• Members

Posted 19 December 2009 - 03:06 PM

Played the beta, was pretty damn impressive, I proffered it to COD to be honest, but I can't imagine it'll do anywhere near as well as COD, even with it having 256 players.

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

• Members
  • England

Posted 19 December 2009 - 03:52 PM

QUOTE (The Unvirginiser @ Dec 18 2009, 21:14)
I'll be really disappointed if it comes out after MW2 and isn't as good.

MW2 has been out for a month or so now, so of course its going to come out after it.

CryptReaperDorian
  • CryptReaperDorian

Boss

• Members

Posted 19 December 2009 - 05:08 PM

Well, most people buy MW2 for multiplayer from what I see. Since MAG is all about multiplayer I would think it's a lot better than MW2 since of 256 players. Not only that, but players can actually use vehicles (not just support helicopters or whatever it is) and SAMs.

WedgeAntilles
  • WedgeAntilles

on the braes o' killiecrankie o

• Members

Posted 19 December 2009 - 05:09 PM

The premise sounds cool, with so many players I'd hope it would be more like BF2 online than MW2 with players really able top come together with tanks, jets everything... creating that full on real war immersion experience.

Shame it doesn't look like that in the vid, just looks like an okayish online FPS

saintdave
  • saintdave

saintdaveô

• Members

Posted 19 December 2009 - 05:26 PM

Donít get me wrong, 256 players is an impressive amount but bigger isnít necessarily better. San Andreas being a prime example! I just hope they donít overlook key things by focusing on the size of things.

Dnero
  • Dnero

Top Dawg

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 20 December 2009 - 03:33 AM

Damn, now i don't know what to get... Battlefield Bad Company 2 or MAG... uuurgh mad.gif

MAG: 256 Players... (No Lag?), Parachutes, Vehicles (APC, Tank, etc)

BBC2: 4 on 4 Squad Deathmatch, Destructible Environment, Vehicles ( Tank, Choppers, Boats, Jeeps, etc)

jp245
  • jp245

Retired Modder

• Members

Posted 20 December 2009 - 07:58 AM

the animations seem to much like counter strike like their to stiff eh but idk it looks okay just dosent give me the sight cod does

Rick88
  • Rick88

"Who is Atlas?"...

• Members

Posted 20 December 2009 - 10:34 AM

I got the chance the to play the beta and it was pretty okay. I mean for so many players to be on at the same time with no noticeable lag is pretty impressive for a console. The gameplay though feels a bit too stiff to me, compared to other games out on the market already like COD it doesn't really feel "fresh" or "new", although there are a lot of good variety of weapons, vehicles and perks you can use. Anyways that's my view on it so far, we shall see how the finished product plays out.

Piperka
  • Piperka

Big Homie

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Australia

Posted 21 December 2009 - 02:33 AM

So it's kind of like Warhawk

TheBruceter
  • TheBruceter

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 21 December 2009 - 10:44 AM

Know if its got a monthly fee? Know what mmo's are like..

If not, i'm for getting it. Resistance 2 was mental with 64 online, imagine 256 wow.gif

Superpowermind
  • Superpowermind

Kill the King

• Members

Posted 21 December 2009 - 01:12 PM

Cool game, but the release date is a bit bad.This game will not even be noticed by Mass Effect fans because it releases the same date with Mass Effect 2. So I say they made a bit mistake.

1ManArmy
  • 1ManArmy

Pirate

• Members

Posted 21 December 2009 - 02:05 PM

Though the search function isn't working, I took the liberty to find the official thread.

http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=410132

CryptReaperDorian
  • CryptReaperDorian

Boss

• Members

Posted 22 December 2009 - 03:20 AM

You found the official topic, eh? Well, even though there's an official topic I'll post this update.

On December 22 NA (tomorrow), December 25 Asia, and January 4 Europe there will be a free client to download on PSN for a free public beta. The beta will run from January 4 to January 10.

GameInformer's site

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

• Members
  • England

Posted 22 December 2009 - 06:42 PM

About the Open Beta, do you think ill be able to download today even though im from England because i have a USA PSN account, because ive been to the PSN Store and cant fing anything about a MAG Open Beta there. So is it out yet or is there wrong info on this or something?

ioN
  • ioN

derp

• Members

Posted 23 December 2009 - 12:57 AM

QUOTE (Hodgey1989 @ Dec 22 2009, 13:42)
About the Open Beta, do you think ill be able to download today even though im from England because i have a USA PSN account, because ive been to the PSN Store and cant fing anything about a MAG Open Beta there. So is it out yet or is there wrong info on this or something?

Pretty sure you will. Oh and the NA store hasn't updated yet.

Guns N R0se
  • Guns N R0se

King of the Mountain

• Members

Posted 23 December 2009 - 01:14 AM

This game looks pretty generic besides the whole 256 player thing tbh.

The-King
  • The-King

[Rekt Intensifies]

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 23 December 2009 - 02:54 AM

QUOTE (Guns N R0se @ Dec 22 2009, 20:14)
This game looks pretty generic besides the whole 256 player thing tbh.

I have to agree, all the animations are stiff and unimpressive. The premise is awesome, but so far it looks like the implementation is quite... lackluster. I had hopes that it would turn out like a Battlefield game at the very least, but it looks like it's on the verge of bringing Counter-Strike's gameplay to a massive scale, which isn't really that impressive a feat, not to mention that it lacks any real creativity.

D1RTYģ
  • D1RTYģ

• D1RTY12
  • Saudi-Arabia

Posted 23 December 2009 - 11:53 AM

So I downloaded the beta from us store and got all updates now i'm ready for when the actual servers go live, better than waiting to get it when it comes out in europe but now I have to wait for the 4th turn.gif

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

• Members
  • England

Posted 23 December 2009 - 05:06 PM

QUOTE (ioN @ Dec 23 2009, 01:57)
QUOTE (Hodgey1989 @ Dec 22 2009, 13:42)

Pretty sure you will. Oh and the NA store hasn't updated yet.

Yeah i check the US PSN Store today and it was there so im downloading it. Thanks for the response though. icon14.gif

foohy
  • foohy

New username. Member since 11/30/'07.

• Members

Posted 26 December 2009 - 01:23 AM

I'm assuming everyone else got that 3-hour "receiving updates" screen too? what was that all about? And why was it released if it's not even playable for another couple weeks? I'm less and less hyped about this game every day...

Shylock
  • Shylock

Gedachtnisse sind genau das.

• The Precinct

Posted 26 December 2009 - 06:43 AM

It will be a nice change from COD. Whether it takes the thunder out of MW2 is up to the person playing, this game will be at least worth the rent.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users