» «
Photo

Sound Editing Tutorial - GTAIV

52 replies to this topic
arbitrarymobster
  • arbitrarymobster

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 December 2009 - 05:17 PM Edited by arbitrarymobster, 15 December 2009 - 02:13 AM.

GTAIV Sound Editing Tutorial

by
Arbitrarymobster

I have decided to try to explain how to change the sounds in ivaud files. First, I will tell you that this is not the only way to go about it, but it is a proven method. I have no experience with any other tools beside the ones mentioned hereafter, and no experience with ivaud files beside the ones containing vehicle engine sound loops. This means that it is possible that not everything explained here will apply to, for example, ivaud files containing music tracks, or sounds that do not loop.

Tools: XVI32; Audacity; SparkIV

1)Find a file you want to replace in the game and export it, along with the ivaud file it's in, using SparkIV.

2)Find a sound which will replace the original one.

3)Right click the original file ( the one you will be replacing) and select properties. Click the "Summary" tab.

4)Open Audacity. On the lower left there will be a button displaying the sample rate. Be sure that matches the one on the summary; if not click on the button and set it. (Note: 44kHz = 44100)

5)Click edit -> Preferences and under the "audio 1/0" tab set the drop-downs to show your sound card and set the channels to match the one displayed on the summary.

6)Under the "file formats" tab set the export format to match the one under summary (Example: WAV Microsoft 16 bit PCM), then click OK.

7)Set the drop-down to the right of the volume slider to "What U Hear."

8)Open your new sound in a media player and record the track in Audacity using the record button. Press the shift key and click play. So far this is how the sound will play in the game. Obviously you will need to edit it. Start by trimming the silent ends off of the track. Now make all of the necessary adjustments to the sound to make it sound how you want when you hold SHIFT and click play. Experiment with the functions.

9)Even if you don't have it exactly where you want it yet it is wise to export it and try it in the game anyhow so you get a better idea of what adjustments will need to be made. Click file and select "export as wav." Do NOT close Audacity yet. Right click your new sound and select properties. Under the General tab look at where it says "size:" and note the number in brackets. This number must be equal to the original sound file's, or be less by only a couple of bytes (like two). To lower the number increase the tempo, or the speed, or the pitch. Each of these functions has its strengths and weaknesses, you'll have to make your own decision. Obviously, to increase the number you can decrease the aforementioned, or you can apply equalization effects. (NOTE: You will have to do further editing after to make the sound loop again).

10)After the tedious process of adjusting and re-exporting until your file is the correct size you are ready to put it in the ivaud. Before you close Audacity go to file "save project as" and save it as an aup. When you go back to edit just double click the aup and Audacity will open the file as it was when you left it.

11)Open the ivaud with XVI32. Now open the original sound file with XVI32 and place them side by side. In the original sound file click on address "2B." Click edit -> Delete to Cursor.

12)In the ivaud; click search -> find. Tick "Hex String" and tick "Case Sensitive" and type the first four or five cubes of data (from the sound file), with spaces in between (caps sensitive), in the search field. Press ok. To be safe, search again down by pressing the F3 key. You should see a message saying "string not found." If not, scroll back to the top and enter more data in the search field.

13)Now close the original sound file (you don't have to save), and open your new sound with XVI32, placing it side by side with the ivaud.

14)Working in your new sound file, click on address "2B" and click edit -> Delete to Cursor. Scroll down to the bottom and click on the second to last cube of data and note the address on the bottom left corner. Scroll all the way to the top and click edit -> block <n> chars and type the address noted (hexadecimal). All but the last cube of data should be red.

15)In the ivaud click edit -> block <n> chars and click OK (should already have the address displayed). Now click the cut button (scissors).

16)In your sound click edit -> clipboard -> copy.

17)In the ivaud click edit -> clipboard -> paste. Then click edit -> block <n> chars and click OK. Scroll down to the last red cube.

18)In the new audio file scroll to the bottom.

19)In the ivaud click the first black cube after the last red cube and manually enter the last byte of data from the sound file and then zero out any other characters from the original sound remaining. (For example if your new sound is two bytes smaller than the original, you'll see two cubes of data after the one you manually entered, change these two cubes to zeros) Click save. Install following the instructions in my sound mods (don't forget to backup).

I expect to hear some great sounds especially considering some of the mediocre responses to my mods. Show me how it's done! I will answer questions here but only if they aren't addressed in this tut. Please put some effort in reading the whole thing before posting questions. Thanks.

nkjellman
  • nkjellman

Boss

• Members

Posted 07 December 2009 - 10:48 PM

Will this make it possable to have DLC radio in GTA 4 PC?

Dvt-MedShot
  • Dvt-MedShot

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 08 December 2009 - 03:36 PM

QUOTE (nkjellman @ Dec 7 2009, 23:48)
Will this make it possable to have DLC radio in GTA 4 PC?

Yes. Also vehicle sounds like the Buffalo, F620, TLAD bikes, etc.

SLAYERMAGGOT
  • SLAYERMAGGOT

Stay Wild

• Members

Posted 08 December 2009 - 04:10 PM

Sound great, what about a video tutorial? smile.gif

EduardKoeleJuck
  • EduardKoeleJuck

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 08 December 2009 - 08:16 PM Edited by EduardKoeleJuck, 08 December 2009 - 08:35 PM.

Great tutorial, very helpful! Could anybody tell me the exact location of the weapon sounds?
Thanks!

EDIT: Found 'em...

SLAYERMAGGOT
  • SLAYERMAGGOT

Stay Wild

• Members

Posted 09 December 2009 - 03:32 PM

QUOTE (EduardKoeleJuck @ Dec 8 2009, 22:16)
Great tutorial, very helpful! Could anybody tell me the exact location of the weapon sounds?
Thanks!

Great, would you mind telling it on this topic?

EduardKoeleJuck
  • EduardKoeleJuck

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 09 December 2009 - 04:38 PM Edited by EduardKoeleJuck, 09 December 2009 - 06:25 PM.

QUOTE (SLAYERMAGGOT @ Dec 9 2009, 15:32)
QUOTE (EduardKoeleJuck @ Dec 8 2009, 22:16)
Thanks!

Great, would you mind telling it on this topic?

Yeah sure.

With SparkIV > PC > Audio > Sfx > resident.rpf > WEAPONS.ivaud

EDIT:

Okay, after a lot of time of making the time corresponding, I did it. But I really don't understand what to do with XVI32. Please make a vid?
I have the sound, but how do I put it in the .ivaud?
Please help, thanks. smile.gif

Dvt-MedShot
  • Dvt-MedShot

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 09 December 2009 - 09:52 PM

Yeah, why don't you make a clear video tutorial?

maniackillaz
  • maniackillaz

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 December 2009 - 11:52 PM

Thank you for this tut. Helped me out alot. I have had no previous experience with hex editing or sound editing what so ever and I have already released V2 of my Rumbler sirens at gtapolicemods. This was a very straight foward tut and easy to follow. IMO there is no need for a video tut. I am a complete noob and I managed to get some very decent stuff done already.

Thank you again,
Maniackillaz aka RPDCopTrainee

EduardKoeleJuck
  • EduardKoeleJuck

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 11 December 2009 - 08:46 PM

I did everything, but what do you mean with 19?

Zer0w5
  • Zer0w5

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 December 2009 - 09:12 PM

QUOTE (EduardKoeleJuck @ Dec 11 2009, 20:46)

I dont know step 19 too i thought i did everything alright but when i import my sound mod horns.ivaud sparkiv crashes mad.gif

EduardKoeleJuck
  • EduardKoeleJuck

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 11 December 2009 - 09:23 PM Edited by EduardKoeleJuck, 12 December 2009 - 04:14 PM.

QUOTE (zerofreeze @ Dec 11 2009, 21:12)

I dont know step 19 too i thought i did everything alright but when i import my sound mod horns.ivaud sparkiv crashes mad.gif

Something's really weird...
I did it all, but when I started IV... The sounds were the same!
I'm 100% sure I used the right one.

EDIT:
Fixed....

Zer0w5
  • Zer0w5

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 December 2009 - 10:04 PM

QUOTE (EduardKoeleJuck @ Dec 11 2009, 21:23)
QUOTE (zerofreeze @ Dec 11 2009, 21:12)

Something's really weird...
I did it all, but when I started IV... The sounds were the same!
I'm 100% sure I used the right one.

Would you test out my horns.ivaud please i need to know if its the file or sparkiv itself

I modded the cop car siren sound i hope you can import if not than its the file itself sarcasm.gif

arbitrarymobster
  • arbitrarymobster

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 12 December 2009 - 03:15 PM

@ EduardKoeleJuck & Zerofreeze: Open your modified ivaud in XVI32 and open the original ivaud in XVI32. Place them side by side and scroll to the bottom of both files. The addresses displayed in the bottom left corners should be exactly the same. If not, then you did not follow the tutorial to the letter. If you don't understand a part of step 19, tell me which part and I will try to explain it better.

Zer0w5
  • Zer0w5

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 December 2009 - 01:43 AM

QUOTE (arbitrarymobster @ Dec 12 2009, 15:15)
@ EduardKoeleJuck & Zerofreeze: Open your modified ivaud in XVI32 and open the original ivaud in XVI32. Place them side by side and scroll to the bottom of both files. The addresses displayed in the bottom left corners should be exactly the same. If not, then you did not follow the tutorial to the letter. If you don't understand a part of step 19, tell me which part and I will try to explain it better.

It actually is the same and when i try to import i get an error that it cant import the ivaud but other sound mods from other people works fine. If only i knew what im doing wrong sad.gif

arbitrarymobster
  • arbitrarymobster

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 13 December 2009 - 03:47 AM

@Zerofreeze: Is your .rpf set to read only? Do the properties of your new sound match those of the original under both the "general" and "summary" tabs? Did you rename the ivaud?

Zer0w5
  • Zer0w5

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 December 2009 - 11:44 AM Edited by zerofreeze, 13 December 2009 - 06:42 PM.

QUOTE (arbitrarymobster @ Dec 13 2009, 03:47)
@Zerofreeze: Is your .rpf set to read only? Do the properties of your new sound match those of the original under both the "general" and "summary" tabs? Did you rename the ivaud?

They both match but im doing something wrong in your tutorial
Perhaps i could record my desktop and you could see what im doing wrong confused.gif

EDIT : I recorded what i did but its actually 290 mb anybody know where i can upload this confused.gif

http://www.filefacto...n/EditSound.avi

EduardKoeleJuck
  • EduardKoeleJuck

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 13 December 2009 - 03:44 PM

Okay, I did it all. I replaced the right weapon sounds (PISTOL_SHOT1_L & PISTOL_SHOT1_R) but ingame I don't hear any difference.

arbitrarymobster
  • arbitrarymobster

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 14 December 2009 - 06:58 PM

@ Zerofreeze: I am unable to download it. Please post the vid on youtube, it is very easy to do and it can be used to help others as well.

@ EduardKoeleJuck: Is your .rpf set to read only? Did you change the name of the ivaud? Are you clicking the blue disc in sparkiv? Are you able to successfully install any sound mods? If you hear the original sounds in the game then your problem is likely in your installation procedure.

EduardKoeleJuck
  • EduardKoeleJuck

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 14 December 2009 - 08:12 PM

QUOTE (arbitrarymobster @ Dec 14 2009, 18:58)
@ EduardKoeleJuck: Is your .rpf set to read only? Did you change the name of the ivaud? Are you clicking the blue disc in sparkiv? Are you able to successfully install any sound mods? If you hear the original sounds in the game then your problem is likely in your installation procedure.

Dude. I did everything alright. I can even hear the right sounds when I'm in SparkIV.

Zer0w5
  • Zer0w5

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 December 2009 - 09:45 PM Edited by zerofreeze, 18 December 2009 - 10:07 AM.

QUOTE (arbitrarymobster @ Dec 14 2009, 18:58)
@ Zerofreeze: I am unable to download it. Please post the vid on youtube, it is very easy to do and it can be used to help others as well.

actually the video is 290 mb and when i convert it smaller its 70 mb atleast confused.gif

Fixed

arbitrarymobster
  • arbitrarymobster

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 December 2009 - 01:53 AM Edited by arbitrarymobster, 15 December 2009 - 02:25 AM.

@ Zerofreeze: So far I'm at 3:07 of your vid and i've found two things wrong.

At 1:49 you enter in the search field of the ivaud the first cubes of data FROM the ivaud. This is wrong. You should enter the first cubes of data in the ivaud, but from the orig sound file. Think about what you're actually doing; you are searching for the sound within the ivaud archive, using the search function

At ~ 3:00 you read step 12 which says to click on ADDRESS 2B. At 3:07 you use the search function to locate the hex string "2B" which puts you at address 174 I think ( its very blurry ). You need to click on ADDRESS 2B. You'll know when you're there because the address will be displayed in the bottom left corner of XVI32.

I haven't finished the vid yet, but I suspect that these two things are your biggest problems. If I find anything else wrong I'll edit this post.

EDIT: Once you correct the problems above, go back to the fiirst post in this thread. I have edited two things in the tutorial, both of which pertain to you. You only need to follow the instructions in the tutorial. If it were necessary to save and close and reopen the ivaud in another program and change every byte to the bottom of the file to zeros it would say that in the tutorial, but I understand the confusion which was caused by the first two mistakes. It should be more obvious what I mean once you correct them.

Zer0w5
  • Zer0w5

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 December 2009 - 09:51 AM Edited by zerofreeze, 18 December 2009 - 08:23 AM.

QUOTE (arbitrarymobster @ Dec 15 2009, 01:53)
@ Zerofreeze: So far I'm at 3:07 of your vid and i've found two things wrong.

At 1:49 you enter in the search field of the ivaud the first cubes of data FROM the ivaud. This is wrong. You should enter the first cubes of data in the ivaud, but from the orig sound file. Think about what you're actually doing; you are searching for the sound within the ivaud archive, using the search function

At ~ 3:00 you read step 12 which says to click on ADDRESS 2B. At 3:07 you use the search function to locate the hex string "2B" which puts you at address 174 I think ( its very blurry ). You need to click on ADDRESS 2B. You'll know when you're there because the address will be displayed in the bottom left corner of XVI32.

I haven't finished the vid yet, but I suspect that these two things are your biggest problems. If I find anything else wrong I'll edit this post.

EDIT: Once you correct the problems above, go back to the fiirst post in this thread. I have edited two things in the tutorial, both of which pertain to you. You only need to follow the instructions in the tutorial. If it were necessary to save and close and reopen the ivaud in another program and change every byte to the bottom of the file to zeros it would say that in the tutorial, but I understand the confusion which was caused by the first two mistakes. It should be more obvious what I mean once you correct them.

Ok i will look in to this,

EDIT: Wow thanks alot it worked i changed my police siren now, Going to try this ingame sleepy.gif

Worked ingame too but actually the sound is low but anyway it was just a test wink.gif

Nevermind i made my own grenade launcher sound and it works ingame sigh.gif

Astrixone
  • Astrixone

Hustler

• Members

Posted 17 December 2009 - 04:43 PM

I am stuck at part 15.
I do this block thing and it says that the block size is invaild.

What to do?

Zer0w5
  • Zer0w5

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 December 2009 - 09:52 AM

QUOTE (Astrixone @ Dec 17 2009, 16:43)
I am stuck at part 15.

What to do?

It could be that the file does not have many blocks thats why use a smaller wav file

Astrixone
  • Astrixone

Hustler

• Members

Posted 18 December 2009 - 09:56 AM

QUOTE (zerofreeze @ Dec 18 2009, 09:52)
I am stuck at part 15.

What to do?

It could be that the file does not have many blocks thats why use a smaller wav file

What do you mean? its almost on the same size of the original sound file. It worked for me once, but it didnt work, i tried again and than this whole thing began. I tried again, recorded again, edited again and still...

Zer0w5
  • Zer0w5

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 December 2009 - 10:06 AM Edited by zerofreeze, 18 December 2009 - 11:22 AM.

QUOTE (Astrixone @ Dec 18 2009, 09:56)
QUOTE (zerofreeze @ Dec 18 2009, 09:52)
I am stuck at part 15.

What to do?

What do you mean? its almost on the same size of the original sound file. It worked for me once, but it didnt work, i tried again and than this whole thing began. I tried again, recorded again, edited again and still...

Ok give me the files you want to replace ill look into them

PM me the files

arbitrarymobster
  • arbitrarymobster

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 December 2009 - 02:34 PM

@Astrixone: That error means that you are asking to highlight more blocks then there are.

1) Make sure that you are using the address of the second to last block, not the last block.

2) Make sure that you scroll all the way to the top so that the first block is highlighted before you type in the address.

Zer0w5
  • Zer0w5

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 December 2009 - 04:31 PM

QUOTE (arbitrarymobster @ Dec 18 2009, 14:34)
@Astrixone: That error means that you are asking to highlight more blocks then there are.

1) Make sure that you are using the address of the second to last block, not the last block.

2) Make sure that you scroll all the way to the top so that the first block is highlighted before you type in the address.

I already wrote him that its only possible to mod resident.rpf other rpf files dont work

Astrixone
  • Astrixone

Hustler

• Members

Posted 18 December 2009 - 08:20 PM

QUOTE (arbitrarymobster @ Dec 18 2009, 14:34)

I might sound stupid but only because my english is not the best.
Second to last = One block before the last block or Two blocks before the last block?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users