Tech General Chat

2,971 replies to this topic
HaRdSTyLe_83
  • HaRdSTyLe_83

☆★☆★☆

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 28 March 2017 - 12:30 AM

The kind of mic that I am looking for does exist. It's called a unidirectional mic, the sort that live performers use (which avoids the sound blasting through the huge stage speakers) but there is a downside to using one: you have to face it directly all the time otherwise your voice will not be audible. This would be a problem if you're recording gaming videos with voice-over because the mic gets in the way if you have to face it all the time, unless you get a smaller one that is similar to the ones attached to headphones.

that sound expensive

you should try to look for some sort of microphone people use in call centers with background noise cancellation, but i dont know if there are any without being in headset

Noale
  • Noale

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 28 March 2017 - 01:30 AM

The kind of mic that I am looking for does exist. It's called a unidirectional mic, the sort that live performers use (which avoids the sound blasting through the huge stage speakers) but there is a downside to using one: you have to face it directly all the time otherwise your voice will not be audible. This would be a problem if you're recording gaming videos with voice-over because the mic gets in the way if you have to face it all the time, unless you get a smaller one that is similar to the ones attached to headphones.

I am going to check out some USB ones.

Are those what they call cardioid microphones which only pick up sound from One Direction? My microphone has a cardioid pattern (Audio Technica AT2035) and I've tested to see how much quieter it is from sides/rear. I can speak in a normal voice to the side or behind the microphone and it doesn't cancel it out entirely. It's quieter, but I think it's impossible to completely cut out the background noise.

Crokey
  • Crokey

Builders Like Erections

• Zaibatsu
  • Belize
  • Best Official Gang 2016 [Zaibatsu]
    Best Poster [Sports] 2016
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2016
    Worst Tits 2016
    Worst Tits 2015
    Best Poster [Sports] 2015
    Best Poster [Sports] 2014
    Worst Tits 2014
    Last ever poster in a public area on the old forum
    Best Llama 2016

Posted 28 March 2017 - 08:57 PM

I am going to check out some USB ones.

Are those what they call cardioid microphones which only pick up sound from One Direction? My microphone has a cardioid pattern (Audio Technica AT2035) and I've tested to see how much quieter it is from sides/rear. I can speak in a normal voice to the side or behind the microphone and it doesn't cancel it out entirely. It's quieter, but I think it's impossible to completely cut out the background noise.

You could also use a hyper-cardioid.  But it would more of shotgun mic (or some call it a boom mic) to get the pick up from more in front of the mic than anywhere around the mic, although with a shotgun mic there can be an issue with pick up from directly behind the mic as the pick up pattern has a lot of "bleed" towards the back.  This can be limited with a guard at the back of the mic (or a housing like you see with boom mics, that you see a lot of outside broadcast newscasters use where the mic is in its furry gray ferret cage).  However, you'll never get true noise cancellation unless headphones are used to prevent it, as is initially required; however, its also true that a shotgun mic may not be the best option either.

You can limit the noise by using a compressor/limiter/noise gate, but then that can muffle the sound quite a bit of the audio that's looking to be recorded.  But you run the risk of sounding like the teacher from Charlie Brown but with less wah-wah effect.

• ΣΓ likes this

Straypuft
  • Straypuft

Pilot For Hire

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 29 March 2017 - 02:42 AM

Looking for a laptop, looking at a sixth gen i3 6100u or a seventh gen i3 7100u, Both using integrated graphics, the 6100u is cheaper by $20 and the only plus of the 7100u is its touch screen, which I have no real use for, gonna be used for web browsing, light photo editing and light gaming, possibly older games and SNES emulators(nothing graphics intensive like GTA or anything like it)

Save the $20 with the older gen and buy foods with it? BTW, I like foods.

Natasha
  • Natasha

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 29 March 2017 - 02:00 PM

Looking for a laptop, looking at a sixth gen i3 6100u or a seventh gen i3 7100u, Both using integrated graphics, the 6100u is cheaper by $20 and the only plus of the 7100u is its touch screen, which I have no real use for, gonna be used for web browsing, light photo editing and light gaming, possibly older games and SNES emulators(nothing graphics intensive like GTA or anything like it)

Save the $20 then, my XPS has a touch screen, absolutely never f*cking used it. Waste of time!

Andreaz1
  • Andreaz1

♪ ♫

• Members
  • Sweden
  • Helpfulness Award
    Draw Contest Winner 2016

Posted 29 March 2017 - 09:26 PM

I'd go with the newer one if the price difference is that small. Besides a slightly higher base clock the newer generation comes with various improvements such as much better on board graphics which support Netflix 4K for instance.

Straypuft
  • Straypuft

Pilot For Hire

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 30 March 2017 - 04:04 AM

I'd go with the newer one if the price difference is that small. Besides a slightly higher base clock the newer generation comes with various improvements such as much better on board graphics which support Netflix 4K for instance.

Save the $20 then, my XPS has a touch screen, absolutely never f*cking used it. Waste of time!

The price difference is really $30, meager, not much, but I decided to go with the cheaper one with the option to buy a better laptop next year if needed, the $30 saved will go towards a carrying case and a cheap mouse.

• Natasha likes this

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Never Settle

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 03 April 2017 - 12:33 PM

What is a good portable DAC for an Android phone? Price range $50-$100.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Jo N鄢yvi Pohjan Portit

• European-Union
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 03 April 2017 - 04:27 PM

Fiio E10K. It's what I'll get after I replace my Topping NX2 (which has been very good to be fair, but could be better EM shielded).
  • ΣΓ likes this

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Never Settle

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 03 April 2017 - 07:22 PM Edited by ΣΓ, 03 April 2017 - 07:57 PM.

Found one on a local store for $100 (shipping included) and ordered it. I wonder what it will do to my Sony in-ear headphones and I'll probably use it as a desktop DAC for lols for a while (funnily enough coupled with $100 speakers, but I am planning on buying proper studio equipment this year on a $1000 budget, including a proper PC DAC). I'll eventually also get proper over the head headphones to use with this but that will happen later.

Edit: Does it work as a portable DAC though? It reportedly doesn't.

Edit 2: It works with phones but I need an extra cable. No problem.

Straypuft
  • Straypuft

Pilot For Hire

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 05 April 2017 - 01:33 AM

Just went through hell getting my laptop setup with its proper OS installed, For some reason with a clean install of 10 on an SSD, the battery wouldnt charge, So I went through so many tries of cloning the original HDD onto the SSD, eventually pinched the battery cable in the process which damaged it and wouldnt let the battery run on battery power.  Took it back to the store for replacement, very few questions were asked, but I was freaking out in case they did an on the spot inspection of it and would deny me a replacement.

Took all day to get the laptop working with the SSD I wanted to use in it, Found some proper recovery usb tool software for my laptop from the manufacturer, Took 3 hours to get that working and installed, now I think Im done and I managed to not break anything this second time around.

• Natasha likes this

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Never Settle

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 05 April 2017 - 01:24 PM

Fiio E10K. It's what I'll get after I replace my Topping NX2 (which has been very good to be fair, but could be better EM shielded).

I received it today:

bIWEaol.png

Sound quality is amazing. It brings out the highs out of my Sony headphones but it is obviously overkill for in-ear headphones. The volume is so loud that I think you can get ear loss from it even with these headphones. It also works great as a desktop DAC. It brings out the best out of my $100 speakers. Awesome.

SilverRST
  • SilverRST

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 April 2017 - 05:12 PM

GTX Titan Xp (2017)... Great, now AMD has to work even much harder than before?

http://wccftech.com/...cores-1200-usd/

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Never Settle

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 06 April 2017 - 05:45 PM Edited by ΣΓ, 06 April 2017 - 05:48 PM.

I saw the Facebook post and I thought "great, they're calling it what the general public are calling it" (referring to the old Titan X Pascal) and I didn't realize it was a new GPU. NVIDIA is just trolling at this point lol. The names were already confusing and now they're calling the new Titan what the previous new one was nicknamed to avoid confusing it with the Maxwell Titan.

I love the fact that they drop these sick GPUs out of nowhere now. More performance is always a good thing. The price is meh though.

BTW, does anyone know of a reliable way to convert an HDMI 2.0 (with 4 4 4 croma) signal (output from PS4 Pro for example, or the upcoming Scorpio) to DisplayPort 1.2? I know adapters exist but they don't necessarily fulfill my criteria. I basically want to use the upcoming Scorpio on a 4K monitor that doesn't have HDMI 2.0 but has DisplayPort 1.2. That unless the Scorpio will be the first console equipped with DisplayPort (this is a somewhat probable prediction).

Zombified Andy
  • Zombified Andy

Master of procrastination

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 07 April 2017 - 07:47 PM

Has anyone here already tried the release version of Creators Update for Windows 10 too? In case you're not aware, although the automatic download and update is scheduled for the next week, you can already get it through the Update Assistant.

So far the Game Mode feature seems really good and in the games I've tried it on so far there's a slight, yet noticeable, difference - too bad you have to activate it manually for each game.

BUT... Microsoft being Microsoft, there are some new spyware data sharing features to improve their services *cough* sure *cough* set on by default. Also, Windows Defender is once more pushed down my throat, and this time it seems to make Avast not being able to start - I'll have to get rid of that crap again.

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Never Settle

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 08 April 2017 - 07:56 PM

Kaspersky user here and Windows Defender gets disabled automatically when I have the former active. Are Antivirus software even a big deal anymore? Is it still necessary to use one?

Where do you find the game mode settings? Setting it manually kinda makes sense. You can't program it to tell the difference between a normal app and a game given that games can run in full screen, windowed, or windowed borderless. Well, as far as I'm concerned it should just be a toggle or something.

Straypuft
  • Straypuft

Pilot For Hire

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 08 April 2017 - 11:40 PM

Anyone here work for Best Buy?

What kind of trouble can I expect if they find out I fiddled with a laptop and broke it in the process then returned it for replacement without giving them a clue that I broke it?

Crokey
  • Crokey

Builders Like Erections

• Zaibatsu
  • Belize
  • Best Official Gang 2016 [Zaibatsu]
    Best Poster [Sports] 2016
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2016
    Worst Tits 2016
    Worst Tits 2015
    Best Poster [Sports] 2015
    Best Poster [Sports] 2014
    Worst Tits 2014
    Last ever poster in a public area on the old forum
    Best Llama 2016

Posted 08 April 2017 - 11:44 PM

What kind of trouble can I expect if they find out I fiddled with a laptop and broke it in the process then returned it for replacement without giving them a clue that I broke it?

Depends on which way you broke it?

If it was something physical then you could be up the creek without a paddle, if it was something software... play dumb.

Straypuft
  • Straypuft

Pilot For Hire

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 09 April 2017 - 12:21 AM

Depends on which way you broke it?

If it was something physical then you could be up the creek without a paddle, if it was something software... play dumb.

pinched and severed a wire inside the laptop

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Never Settle

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 10 April 2017 - 03:19 PM

Finally got my OTG cable and got around to testing my Fiio E10K with my OPO. It works perfectly fine as a portable DAC (even though it technically isn't one). It is truly plug and play because I didn't even have to configure anything (on CyanogenMod). It worked right away with TIDAL.

Spoiler

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Never Settle

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by ΣΓ, 2 weeks ago.

Not sure if I can bump a topic with a double post. If not then any mod can feel free to delete my post above. I'm excited about something in the tech space again, about an old technology that still hasn't made its way into the mainstream. I love ray-tracing. If there's one thing that could fundamentally change video games (especially in VR) the way that the switch from 2D to 3D graphics did it's this. Unfortunately even if you had millions of dollars to spend you'd still have a hard time running a real-time simulation of this sort at a decent frame rate. It's currently not feasible to do that and progress is slow but NVIDIA's using AI to make these calculations faster. It's not related to video games at all but I really hope that this stuff makes it into video games in the next 10 to 20 years.

Then I came across some special UE4 demos. OMFG. This stuff is giving me a boner lol.

Arrow
  • Arrow

• Facade Corporation
  • India
  • Helpfulness Award [WD&P Mega Topic]

Posted A week ago

What do you guys think about Google Assistant's availability on iOS? Siri has some competition for now. Because of API restrictions, the Assistant will be able to do only basic stuff such as sending messages and playing music on Spotify and stuff like that. Too bad Home Button integration isn't allowed by Apple.

Straypuft
  • Straypuft

Pilot For Hire

• Members
  • Japan

Posted A week ago

There might be one too many wifi networks near my apartment, Switched from 2.4ghz to 5ghz, now my phone wont connect, looks like someone is in the market for a new phone :)

Looking to upgrade from a 2 year old out of box Samsung Galaxy S3 to a current year Zenfone 3 Zoom

Ai家妯b家
  • Ai家妯b家

General

• Members
  • NATO

Posted A week ago Edited by Ai家妯b家, A week ago.

There might be one too many wifi networks near my apartment, Switched from 2.4ghz to 5ghz, now my phone wont connect, looks like someone is in the market for a new phone :)

Looking to upgrade from a 2 year old out of box Samsung Galaxy S3 to a current year Zenfone 3 Zoom

I bought my mom an HTC Desire 530 for her Birthday and she loves it and it was only $150 very nice for the price and decent speeds

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Never Settle

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted A week ago

I don't know what to get. I'm saving up for either a 165 Hz G-sync monitor or studio gear for music production (reference speakers, DAC, etc). I'm planning on getting all of these things but I'm not sure what to get first. I think the audio gear will blow me away as much as a gaming monitor if not more.

Arrow
  • Arrow

• Facade Corporation
  • India

Posted 2 days ago

I would advise against ASUS. They've poor after-sales service and are known to slackers when it comes to software updates. While the ZenUI offers a lot of fancy features, the battery backup is really poor on ASUS devices.

Straypuft
  • Straypuft

Pilot For Hire

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 2 days ago Edited by Straypuft, 2 days ago.

I would advise against ASUS. They've poor after-sales service and are known to slackers when it comes to software updates. While the ZenUI offers a lot of fancy features, the battery backup is really poor on ASUS devices.

Then what should I look for in the $300 USD price range? Keep in mind I wouldnt qualify for any phone financing offers so no Galaxy S8 for me :/

I dont mind slow updates and Im not too concerned about poor battery as long as it can get me through a whole day without needed to charge, would prefer GSM

Arrow
  • Arrow

• Facade Corporation
  • India

Posted 2 days ago

Then what should I look for in the $300 USD price range? Keep in mind I wouldnt qualify for any phone financing offers so no Galaxy S8 for me :/

I dont mind slow updates and Im not too concerned about poor battery as long as it can get me through a whole day without needed to charge, would prefer GSM
Huawei P9 Lite and Moto Z Play would be two of my choices.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Jo N鄢yvi Pohjan Portit

• European-Union
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 2 days ago

P9 Lite is a great phone once you blat all the Huawei bloatware. My wife has one, it's every bit as good as my 6P.

Arrow
  • Arrow

• Facade Corporation
  • India

Posted A day ago

P9 Lite is a great phone once you blat all the Huawei bloatware. My wife has one, it's every bit as good as my 6P.

Just disabling the unnecessary apps from settings gets the job done for me usually. P9 is great performance wise and doesn't burn your trousers at the same time.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users