• Natasha likes this

Small Moist
  • Small Moist

you can call me... SUPERLIGHTDUSKMASTER99

• Members
  • None
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 12 March 2017 - 08:25 AM

Man, I've got this 4k monitor sitting around that's just begging for a 1080ti rig...
  • Audi likes this

Audi
  • Audi

If I can't do it, Homie it can't be done

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Slovenia
  • Best Turbo Quattro 2017

Posted 15 March 2017 - 04:57 PM

I need to get off my ass and upgrade my monitor. After building the pc I didn't buy a new monitor as I had intended on using the same tv that my ps4 is hooked up. But lack of desk space and no way to wall mount the tv became an issue, so I've been using the old monitor from my old prebuilt desktop I had in college lol.

It's an Acer al1916w (1440x900) with the only connection type being VGA lol. Considering that pc was from like 2007-2008 it does pretty well, only issues are with screenshots in games like gtav where the quality seems lower then my ps4 with a 1080p tv. The only graphics intense game I play is Overwatch and it does "okay" with it.

Even a modern budget monitor would be an improvement, but I can't decide if I want an actual "gaming" monitor or not. I do a lot of photo editing apart from gaming but I do that on my laptop anyways. This is the last part of my build left.

yojc
  • yojc

2A03

• Members
  • Poland
  • Best Poster [Tech] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Tech] 2013
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 15 March 2017 - 06:16 PM

Have you considered getting a 21:9 monitor? I've bought one a year ago and I'm still blown away every time I compare it to a 16:9.

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Goddess Of Light

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 15 March 2017 - 07:31 PM

If only all modern games supported that aspect ratio, never mind older ones, then it would make a lot of sense.

yojc
  • yojc

2A03

• Members
  • Poland
  • Best Poster [Tech] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Tech] 2013
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 15 March 2017 - 09:03 PM Edited by yojc, 15 March 2017 - 09:04 PM.

In my experience most of the games have absolutely no issues with that aspect ratio (even the not so new ones), I wouldn't consider this a problem at all - but granted, there are exceptions (for example Overwatch doesn't support 21:9 IIRC). I presume that's partially thanks to AMD bringing out their multi-monitor Eyefinity solution, which really popularised non-standard aspect ratio support in games.

HaRdSTyLe_83
  • HaRdSTyLe_83

☆★RIP Open IV★☆

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 March 2017 - 11:57 PM Edited by HaRdSTyLe_83, 15 March 2017 - 11:58 PM.

seen alot of folks talk about that before but thats not what im seeing after i bought mine, the only modern game that i have that dont support 21:9 is fallout4 and even that can be made to widescreen with a program.

Some games the full motion videos or menus dont go 21:9, like gta5, but ingame its normal 21:9 and its glorious :p (if you are into that i mean)

found this one browsing in my local store website today and it seems good for the price

LG 34UC79G-B IPS 34" UW-UXGA 21:9 144Hz FreeSync

its a bit to big for 1080p but you cant have it all (fast refresh and 1440p) for that price

• Straypuft likes this

Straypuft
  • Straypuft

Pilot For Hire

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 16 March 2017 - 05:25 AM

If only all modern games supported that aspect ratio, never mind older ones, then it would make a lot of sense.

You can make it so the games that dont support 21:9 will only display at 1920x1080, but you will have to live with black bars on the sides of the screen, but its not bad once you get used to it

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Goddess Of Light

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 16 March 2017 - 12:47 PM

Not sure how much of a difference the extra FOV makes. It's not like the difference between 4:3 and 16:9.

HaRdSTyLe_83
  • HaRdSTyLe_83

☆★RIP Open IV★☆

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 March 2017 - 01:10 PM Edited by HaRdSTyLe_83, 16 March 2017 - 01:11 PM.

Its not that big of a jump as the old 4:3 to 16:9 but the feeling is the same. Its more noticable in first person view, shooters and racing sims. In 3rd person games,Gta, tomb rider etc it looks better but thats just it, its only looks.

I would compare it as watching a movie in a standard TV Vs watching a movie in a cinema

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Goddess Of Light

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 16 March 2017 - 02:57 PM Edited by ΣΓ, 16 March 2017 - 02:58 PM.

I see that the premium UWQHD monitors are curved only, which is stupid. I play games with my best friend and I can imagine the viewing angles being uncomfortable given that we don't prefer to sit right next to one another. They might be the future but I don't necessarily find the extra FOV that immersive. Perhaps I'm wrong but I can't stand the idea of a curved display.

Edit: Also, consoles don't support 21:9. I'll pass.

Audi
  • Audi

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Slovenia

Posted 16 March 2017 - 07:04 PM

If I could fit a 21:9 display then I would of been able to use my tv tbh. Space limitations are to about 23" or 24" screens, 1920x1080.

I do see the appeal of 21:9 though.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Godfather

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2016
    Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2015
    Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Movies/TV] 2013

Posted 17 March 2017 - 06:47 AM Edited by darthYENIK, 17 March 2017 - 06:48 AM.

I am pissed right now. Long story short, my mom decided it was a good idea to give a 13 year old child an iPad Air. Fast forward a few years, and it turns out she (the child) forgot her apple ID password because she made a new account because her old Apple ID paid homage to One Direction. I find out yesterday that it's been sitting in her room for months because she updated it and had to enter that password. But wait, there's more. The email address she used for the apple ID, she forgot that password too. The security question, she forgot the answer.

So now I'm sitting here with a potentially bricked iPad. Hundreds of dollars down the drain. Yeah, it's not mine, but sometimes the cranky wannabe IT guy comes out and I need to call everyone around me irresponsible idiots.

Hopefully, this dumb child decides to sit down with me to try and work this out. But so far she's embarrassed that she made an Apple ID and email called "FutureMrsLiam" and refuses to help.

Natasha
  • Natasha

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 17 March 2017 - 02:50 PM

I am pissed right now. Long story short, my mom decided it was a good idea to give a 13 year old child an iPad Air. Fast forward a few years, and it turns out she (the child) forgot her apple ID password because she made a new account because her old Apple ID paid homage to One Direction. I find out yesterday that it's been sitting in her room for months because she updated it and had to enter that password. But wait, there's more. The email address she used for the apple ID, she forgot that password too. The security question, she forgot the answer.

So now I'm sitting here with a potentially bricked iPad. Hundreds of dollars down the drain. Yeah, it's not mine, but sometimes the cranky wannabe IT guy comes out and I need to call everyone around me irresponsible idiots.

Hopefully, this dumb child decides to sit down with me to try and work this out. But so far she's embarrassed that she made an Apple ID and email called "FutureMrsLiam" and refuses to help.

I'm no expert but this could maybe help in your situation. Just a result of a quick Google.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Godfather

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 17 March 2017 - 04:05 PM

I know the passcode. It's the password for the Apple ID account that I need, because the iPad is linked to it. If I try to restore it, I don't know if it'll be fully good and bricked.

Arrow
  • Arrow

Good Life

• Facade
  • India
  • Helpfulness Award [WD&P Mega Topic]

Posted 17 March 2017 - 04:13 PM

You could always take it to a nearby service center with a valid bill and get it restored. All they need to do is wipe it. My friend once forgot his Apple ID on his 5s. He took it to an outlet with a valid bill. They reset the device for him in 30 to 40 minutes.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Godfather

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 17 March 2017 - 04:53 PM

What type of valid bill? I don't know what a valid bill for a teenager's Apple ID would even be. The problem is this Apple ID was set up, and then she never updated info. She probably used my mom's bank card, but that was years ago, and she's changed it since. The iPad itself was bought through AT&T, but we had problems with them, and it wasn't a clean break. We fully paid off the iPad, though.

I'm currently trying to recover her email address, but trying to get her to answer security questions is like pulling f*cking teeth. Teenage girls are f*cking assholes. Every question, just something as simple as "who was your childhood best friend", or "what was the email addresses you've sent to" is met with screams and combativeness. Then she claims she didn't send any email to anyone from that account. Which I know is bullsh*t. She just has to kick and scream on everything. But this might be getting out of tech, and into family dynamics.

Anyway, I hope I can get that password, or else I have a new paper weight.

Arrow
  • Arrow

Good Life

• Facade
  • India

Posted 17 March 2017 - 04:55 PM

What type of valid bill? I don't know what a valid bill for a teenager's Apple ID would even be. The problem is this Apple ID was set up, and then she never updated info. She probably used my mom's bank card, but that was years ago, and she's changed it since. The iPad itself was bought through AT&T, but we had problems with them, and it wasn't a clean break. We fully paid off the iPad, though.

I'm currently trying to recover her email address, but trying to get her to answer security questions is like pulling f*cking teeth. Teenage girls are f*cking assholes. Every question, just something as simple as "who was your childhood best friend", or "what was the email addresses you've sent to" is met with screams and combativeness. Then she claims she didn't send any email to anyone from that account. Which I know is bullsh*t. She just has to kick and scream on everything. But this might be getting out of tech, and into family dynamics.

Anyway, I hope I can get that password, or else I have a new paper weight.

A bill of purchase. A retailer bill that has your or the owner's name on it. It's not for Apple ID. It's for verifying that you own the device.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Godfather

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 17 March 2017 - 05:46 PM Edited by darthYENIK, 18 March 2017 - 04:28 AM.

I hope we have one. Like I said, it was all done through AT&T four or five years ago. Luckily my mom is a receipt hoarder for things like this, but sometimes she says "f*ck it" and throws stuff out.

This whole thing makes me realize how irresponsible my family is.

I tell them, I know it sounds counter to what would be a good idea, but write down your passwords. Pen and paper. Yeah its bad if that paper is stolen, but in my experience, it's better to have that, than lose an account. I had a steam account that I lost, which had a bunch of games linked to it. That was the last time I didn't write down my account details.

Update: There might be hope! Why I didn't think about this before, I don't know. But chrome! Chrome had her password saved! By this time though, I've tried too many times to log into that account so they've temporarily blocked it. It feels like everything I do to get this fixed, is just digging me a deeper hole. I might just have to call Microsoft (it's an outlook email) support, because microsoft's other support options seem like sh*t. I always end up getting to a condescending response of what "I" should have done to prevent losing my password and getting in this situation.
  • Audi likes this

Audi
  • Audi

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Slovenia

Posted 18 March 2017 - 05:17 AM

Yeah I write down my passwords with the associated email for everything. Prevents this very issue.

Arrow
  • Arrow

Good Life

• Facade
  • India

Posted 18 March 2017 - 05:09 PM

I hope we have one. Like I said, it was all done through AT&T four or five years ago. Luckily my mom is a receipt hoarder for things like this, but sometimes she says "f*ck it" and throws stuff out.

This whole thing makes me realize how irresponsible my family is.

I tell them, I know it sounds counter to what would be a good idea, but write down your passwords. Pen and paper. Yeah its bad if that paper is stolen, but in my experience, it's better to have that, than lose an account. I had a steam account that I lost, which had a bunch of games linked to it. That was the last time I didn't write down my account details.

Update: There might be hope! Why I didn't think about this before, I don't know. But chrome! Chrome had her password saved! By this time though, I've tried too many times to log into that account so they've temporarily blocked it. It feels like everything I do to get this fixed, is just digging me a deeper hole. I might just have to call Microsoft (it's an outlook email) support, because microsoft's other support options seem like sh*t. I always end up getting to a condescending response of what "I" should have done to prevent losing my password and getting in this situation.

Hopefully it gets sorted out for you. Let me know if that trick works. It'd be such a waste to have an iPad in non-functional condition.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Godfather

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 19 March 2017 - 04:46 PM

The email account is just flat out blocked, because I've tried to log in so many times. Even if I know the password, I still have to submit a request through their automated vetting system, which asks questions only my 16 year old sister knew four years ago. And asking her for the answers is like talking to a brick wall. I ask her who her childhood best friend is, and she says she doesn't know, and then gets mad because I give her the honest look of "why?" How does someone not know the answer to that question? Or not know ONE email address of someone they've emailed from that account?

So. Now it seems my only options are Microsoft phone support to get the email unblocked and reset, or the Apple Store where I have to prove the purchase, which I don't know.

Natasha
  • Natasha

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:14 AM

I would assume with the purchase through AT&T they MUST have recorded name and address along with serial number of the device. So you could always contact them to check their records for you. Just a thought.

Presidential
  • Presidential

lol

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:45 AM

The email account is just flat out blocked, because I've tried to log in so many times. Even if I know the password, I still have to submit a request through their automated vetting system, which asks questions only my 16 year old sister knew four years ago. And asking her for the answers is like talking to a brick wall. I ask her who her childhood best friend is, and she says she doesn't know, and then gets mad because I give her the honest look of "why?" How does someone not know the answer to that question? Or not know ONE email address of someone they've emailed from that account?

So. Now it seems my only options are Microsoft phone support to get the email unblocked and reset, or the Apple Store where I have to prove the purchase, which I don't know.

Haven't owned an iPod since the second or third gen Nanos but back then there was custom firmware I would load on mine anyway. Why not just do the same with the iPod you're locked out of? Better than it turning into a paper weight.

Natasha
  • Natasha

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:35 AM

Haven't owned an iPod since the second or third gen Nanos but back then there was custom firmware I would load on mine anyway. Why not just do the same with the iPod you're locked out of? Better than it turning into a paper weight.

Will only work if there's a hack for whatever Gen and firmware is already on the iPad so that may not even be an option sadly. :v:

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Godfather

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:06 PM

I would assume with the purchase through AT&T they MUST have recorded name and address along with serial number of the device. So you could always contact them to check their records for you. Just a thought.

That will most likely need to be done, unless my mom has proof elsewhere.

I'll have to hold off on this for the time being. Personal emergency has happened and now is not the time for making Apple Store appointments.

But I did read up on some sites that will bypass the lock if you send the device in to them. There's a certain amount of sketchyness to that, though. Some places have scammed people. That will be the last resort.
  • Natasha likes this

Natasha
  • Natasha

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:09 AM Edited by Natz_83, 21 March 2017 - 08:58 AM.

That will most likely need to be done, unless my mom has proof elsewhere.

I'll have to hold off on this for the time being. Personal emergency has happened and now is not the time for making Apple Store appointments.

But I did read up on some sites that will bypass the lock if you send the device in to them. There's a certain amount of sketchyness to that, though. Some places have scammed people. That will be the last resort.

I'm sure you could find a way to bypass it yourself with some YouTubing :^:

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Goddess Of Light

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 26 March 2017 - 05:12 PM

Is there any way to record your voice with a mic whilst avoiding recording the sound coming from your PC speakers? I know that certain types of mics record sound from a specific\angle direction but I am curious if this is possible since I don't want to use headphones while I'm playing a game and recording my voice.

If that's not possible then I am looking for a good quality mic anyway to record my own voice for gaming videos and such. I am not looking to spend too much money on it though so I'd like to hear some recommendations.

Noale
  • Noale

INKWIZYCJA

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 26 March 2017 - 05:23 PM

USB microphones are cheap and are fairly decent from what I hear.

Not sure about recording your voice without hearing the speaker output though. Why don't you want to use headphones?

• ΣΓ likes this

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Goddess Of Light

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 27 March 2017 - 08:56 PM

The kind of mic that I am looking for does exist. It's called a unidirectional mic, the sort that live performers use (which avoids the sound blasting through the huge stage speakers) but there is a downside to using one: you have to face it directly all the time otherwise your voice will not be audible. This would be a problem if you're recording gaming videos with voice-over because the mic gets in the way if you have to face it all the time, unless you get a smaller one that is similar to the ones attached to headphones.

I am going to check out some USB ones.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users