Tech General Chat

3,017 replies to this topic
ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Never Settle

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 06 January 2017 - 10:01 AM

These are not available here. The Eris E5 has the same frequency response as the HD6 (the latter is more than $700). I am getting a pair of monitors to use as multimedia speakers for the most part. I will buy more expensive monitors at some point (perhaps at the end of the year or next year).

blaze
  • blaze

Big Homie

• The Yardies
  • United-Kingdom
  • Super Special Gold Star 2006
    Draw Contest Booby Prize 2016
    Campaign Poster Booby Prize 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 06 January 2017 - 01:45 PM

@Sivis and any other brits, competitions are a needle in a needle filled haystack but it's always worth a shot for a free 1080 :p

http://email.techrad..._nvidiagtx_1080

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Never Settle

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:44 PM Edited by ΣΓ, 06 January 2017 - 09:44 PM.

I entered a 100 phone (OnePlus 3T) giveaway and didn't win anything. Your odds are so small that it's not even worth following every step (and then undoing them if you don't win).

blaze
  • blaze

Big Homie

• The Yardies
  • United-Kingdom
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 07 January 2017 - 12:56 AM

was literally just enter what Cuda stands for, your email and click enter. Worth a shot anyway :p

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Never Settle

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 07 January 2017 - 01:08 PM

I think I am going to save money for a pair of RoKit 8s from KRK. It's a safer choice and I think I will be able to use them as permanent studio monitors for my music production as well as normal speakers. I will buy a Scarlett audio interface for them as well at some point.

blaze
  • blaze

Big Homie

• The Yardies
  • United-Kingdom
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 07 January 2017 - 07:04 PM

Managed to get 4.4GHz stable on the X5650 albeit an abnormally high vcore of 1.4625v in the bios/1.424 under load. Seems stable for now, did 2hrs of Realbench then 2 hours of GTAO no problem. Idle temps and load temps are up by about 8 degrees give or take so I can live with that. Just managed to get over 1k in Cinebench too which ain't bad for a 6 year old £50 chip.

ncR0toJ.png

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Never Settle

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 08 January 2017 - 01:20 PM

This desk is so gorgeous: http://www.roche-bob...be-disassembled

If I had that kind of money I would definitely get one.

Zombified Andy
  • Zombified Andy

Master of procrastination

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 21 January 2017 - 11:49 AM Edited by Zombified Andy, 21 January 2017 - 11:52 AM.

I decided to go ahead with my idea to get my computer running Linux alongside with Windows 10. While the installation itself was easy and straightforward, the problem was to fix all the issues that came after that (no dual boot menu was appearing, no WiFi connections were showing, mouse clicks weren't taking effect in the apps - which I later found it that was triggered by my optical mouse and it worked just fine with the touch pad) and after a couple hours of all this user-friendlyness on the terminal, Ubuntu 16.04 is finally running properly.

My first observation was "it looks just like it did back in the middle school computers" - yeah, it's not the best software in terms of a aesthetics (yet everything is easy and obvious to find, unlike all the Win10 pretty but confusing mask over the actually useful, yet also dated looking, options) but that's not a big deal since I know it can be customized later on.

I ended up not having much time to actually sit down and use it besides a quick test on the Internet to see if everything was working fine, but it felt easy, simple and quick form the casual activities I intended it for. Time will tell what deep down feels better for me to use (and hopefully having to search Ubuntu forums for terminal lines in order to fix common things won't become a daily basics).

blaze
  • blaze

Big Homie

• The Yardies
  • United-Kingdom
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 24 January 2017 - 09:13 PM

Gave my H50 a clean out today and christ the colour of the dust and other sediment that came out was awful. That being said idle temps have dropped by about 7/8c and load has dropped by a few c too, going to give it a better test when the thermal paste has settled in, the ambients temps arent high from the heating and the cpu isn't warm from accidentally getting it to 107c thanks to not plugging the damn h50 pump header in.

• sivispacem likes this

Ryan
  • Ryan

• Zaibatsu
  • Canada

Posted 25 January 2017 - 06:27 PM Edited by Ryan, 25 January 2017 - 06:29 PM.

Recently moved and my monitor was damaged in transit by the moving company. My previous monitor wasn't anything special - a LG 27" 1080p monitor - but the moving company estimated its value to be $400. Decided to take that and spend an extra $100 and jump on the 4K bandwagon. Ended up picking up the LG 27UD68P-B.
  • Crokey likes this

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Never Settle

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 26 January 2017 - 12:33 PM Edited by ΣΓ, 27 January 2017 - 05:53 PM.

27" sounds excruciating for 4K. I am strongly considering getting a 40-43" 4K monitor from Korea. It seems these are pretty decent (sucks that FreeSync won't work on NVIDIA) if you don't mind the lack of warranty but it's cheaper that way. I was originally planning on getting a 4K Philips or DELL in the same size but there are some kinks with both that annoy me so I am strongly considering going Korean instead.

Edit: Actually, never mind. 4K is still in its early stages for many things so I've decided to purchase an Acer Predator XB271HU in the near future, which is a 1440p G-sync monitor that runs at 165 Hz. For gaming it should be perfect and productivity will be increased due to the higher res (plus I don't really have the space for a large 4K monitor).

Noale
  • Noale

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 27 January 2017 - 08:19 PM

Anybody know of an easy way to convert VHS/Betamax tapes (yes I'm old) into DVD or onto a computer?

Crokey
  • Crokey

Builders Like Erections

• Zaibatsu
  • Belize
  • Best Official Gang 2016 [Zaibatsu]
    Best Poster [Sports] 2016
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2016
    Worst Tits 2016
    Worst Tits 2015
    Best Poster [Sports] 2015
    Best Poster [Sports] 2014
    Worst Tits 2014
    Last ever poster in a public area on the old forum
    Best Llama 2016

Posted 27 January 2017 - 09:54 PM

Anybody know of an easy way to convert VHS/Betamax tapes (yes I'm old) into DVD or onto a computer?

If you've already got a VHS or Betamax player check to see if it's Composite outputs (Yellow, White, Red) or Component outputs (Red, Green, Blue, plus two audio), they'll be RCA (or phono) connectors. If it's got SCART, then you can use a SCART - Composite converter.

Do a quick search for VHS to USB or VHS to DVD converter and there will be plenty of results, and some of them will come with software, which in essence will be video capture software. It will just be a case of play and record and making sure you've got plenty of hard drive space.
  • Noale likes this

Noale
  • Noale

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 27 January 2017 - 11:36 PM

I bought a used VHS player and it seems to play the tapes. Although I get a lot of static lines across the screen and it seems to cut to a blue screen every few seconds. I've tried a lot of VHS tapes and they all seem to do this, so I'm assuming the player has a problem so I'll get another. I've not tried buying a Betamax player since they seem quite overpriced.

I just checked Google for converters. One of them is called Diamond Video Capture and looks like the RCA (Yellow-White-Red) to USB connector with a brick along the line. I'm assuming I plug the RCA to the VHS player, and the USB to my computer. If it doesn't come with software, will I just be able to use some other free software downloaded online? Oh, and these recorders/converters won't destroy or remove the content inside the tapes themselves correct?

Crokey
  • Crokey

Builders Like Erections

• Zaibatsu
  • Belize
  • Best Official Gang 2016 [Zaibatsu]
    Best Poster [Sports] 2016
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2016
    Worst Tits 2016
    Worst Tits 2015
    Best Poster [Sports] 2015
    Best Poster [Sports] 2014
    Worst Tits 2014
    Last ever poster in a public area on the old forum
    Best Llama 2016

Posted 28 January 2017 - 01:18 AM

With the VCR, if you're getting a cut out every few seconds it sounds like it's got a rotary magnetic reader, and it has a faulty connection on every x number of coils.  Unless your comfortable with trying to fix magnetic coils, which to be fair, hardly anybody would be, they're absolute sods to fix; you're best just ditching it as it will probably never chooch correctly.  Plus with the static issue, then probably have a look around for another cheap one off FleaBay, although you'd be hard pressed to get one that doesn't have any static issues, as most VCR's will be old and it's the nature of the analogue beast.

As the for the converter, that would do you, if your VCR has the right connections on the back, and you would need some software.  Some of the capture cables may come with some basic software, but if not a quick search should pull some up https://sourceforge.net/ may be a good place to look as there may be some decent free stuff that'll do the job. 

As for the copying, no, the original content will still be there... unless the VCR decides to chew your tape up.

• Noale likes this

blaze
  • blaze

Big Homie

• The Yardies
  • United-Kingdom
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 28 January 2017 - 01:22 AM

Back when I was a CoD kid and felt like making montages I tried this sh*tty USB capture card by Eastcap which was awful to configure, then bought a Dazzle DVC170 which recorded 480p with no problems. Maybe look at the Dazzle DVC line since they'll be pretty cheap these days. It came with built in software although you may be able to use the video capture feature in Sony Vegas but I'm not 100% sure on that. Either way it wont chew the tape no but it's time consuming - simply press record on the PC and play the tape back.

Noale
  • Noale

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 28 January 2017 - 02:52 AM

The tapes are home recorded from the 80s-90s.  :lol: Having a VCR chew them up is the real concern for me, but I'll try to buy one of the basic converters as well as another VHS player and test it out on some junk VHS movies. The only video software I have is Sony Vegas Platinum, which I'm still unfamiliar with, but I'll see if I can get it work. Thanks.

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Never Settle

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 28 January 2017 - 06:29 AM

It's not a matter of converting but rather recording (from analog to digital). If your VCR has the same video output as your capture device then you simply plug the VCR into the device\card and record with the software. Some capture devices are compatible with OBS, which is great, but you should probably get something that comes with its own software and has the RCA input (red and white for sound and yellow for video) provided that your VCR has RCA. Out here, VCRs used to come with a SCART connection, which is easy to convert to RCA with a simple adapter.

Not sure about a capture device choice. I looked at some gaming ones (for console recording and whatnot) and they don't seem to support RCA.

Straypuft
  • Straypuft

Pilot For Hire

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 31 January 2017 - 11:33 PM

Went to check for dust buildup in the front of my case after about 2 years of owning it, the fan wasnt spinning, turns out I plugged the fan hub power cable in the wrong way a few weeks ago, Havent had any heat issues in that time though, I shocked myself on something on the fan hub which shorted something and my computer shut off with the speed of a lightning bolt.

Luckily the computer turned back on after a few tries of hitting the power button, btw, minimal but noticable dust buildup, but not enough to warrant taking it outside to use canned air on it since the fans were pretty much clean.

blaze
  • blaze

Big Homie

• The Yardies
  • United-Kingdom
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 01 February 2017 - 01:29 AM

Always ground yourself when working on PC components. Also remember to plug stuff in the right headers, I forgot to plug my H50 pump connector in the other day and wondered why I was crashing on boot. Checked BIOS and my CPU's at 107c! Always a good feeling when you make something work when its been broke. Made my 7950 stock cooler work again by wiring the fan connector up to a 3pin cable and plugging it into my fan controller. Was kinda loud as the controller does 5-12v and then I realised I can connect it to the mobo and set up a fan curve correlated to the GPU temp through Speedfan.

Oh how far we've came.

56F9Dok.png

to

JSwPOxx.jpg

On the upgrade list would be a new card, bigger SSD (128gb), bigger HDD's (2x1TB RAID1) and a new case (no idea what).

yojc
  • yojc

2A03

• Members
  • Poland
  • Best Poster [Tech] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Tech] 2013
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 02 February 2017 - 06:09 PM

My most recent acquisition:

img_20170202_173622gxqa3.jpg

I think he came to the wrong neighbourhood though

img_20170202_173710hwqim.jpg

Straypuft
  • Straypuft

Pilot For Hire

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 03 February 2017 - 04:11 AM

My bedroom PC had a hard drive failure late last night.

RIP Hitachi Deskstar from 2009 :'(

Since Im cheap, I replaced it with a and old WD Green HDD from 2010, the saga continues...

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Never Settle

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 03 February 2017 - 08:44 AM Edited by ΣΓ, 03 February 2017 - 11:20 AM.

I can't wait for NVIDIA to announce the 1080 Ti. Perhaps the price will be competitive if AMD releases their higher performance cards this year too. I am considering selling my 980 Ti to replace it with a 1080 Ti.

Edit: I am looking at a Noctua NH-D14 cooler which comes with 3 pin cables for the fans. The problem is that my motherboard has a 4 pin header but according to a few threads on the Internet you can connect a 3 pin cooler to a 4 pin header (but you lose some of the functionality) and my CPU fan header seems to have a marking that determines which 3 pins you can use so in theory it should work.

yojc
  • yojc

2A03

• Members
  • Poland
  • Best Poster [Tech] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Tech] 2013
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 03 February 2017 - 04:14 PM Edited by yojc, 03 February 2017 - 04:14 PM.

Yes, you can connect a 3pin fan to 4pin socket (in any motherboard/adapter) and it will work perfectly fine. It would work the other way round as well (although it might not physically fit depending on the shape of the socket, and the fan would lose its PWM functionality).
  • ΣΓ likes this

blaze
  • blaze

Big Homie

• The Yardies
  • United-Kingdom
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 03 February 2017 - 07:18 PM

fan would lose its pwm functionality but you can set it to automate correlated to temps through speedfan. thats how i got my gpu stock fan working again and have thus connected my h50 fans to it, gonna do the rest later. nice having it quiet when im just browsing then having them spin up when it gets toasty.

Audi
  • Audi

A N A N A

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 06 February 2017 - 01:00 AM

So I got sick of console gaming and was playing a little on my old college laptop, but it's not a suitable gaming laptop so I started ordering the parts for my first gaming pc. First time attempting anything like this but I've checked out pcpartpicker.com and have watched a few videos on youtube lol. Not a fancy bad ass set up but I wanted something that would surpass my current ps4 with enough space for future games. Pretty damn excited ngl  :D

Current part list:

Intel i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad core

Asus H170 Pro/CSM ATX LGA1151

Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM (ordered)

2TB 7200rpm 3.5 HDD (ordered)

500gb 2.5 SSD 

GTX1060 6GB

550W power supply (received)

Optical drive for the OS (received)

Windows 10 home 64bit (ordered)

Deepcool Dukase V2 ATX mid tower (received)

• 2281 and Arrow like this

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Never Settle

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 11 February 2017 - 02:53 PM

They pretty much killed DisplayPort 1.4 with this and the frame sync solution sounds exciting.

blaze
  • blaze

Big Homie

• The Yardies
  • United-Kingdom
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 12 February 2017 - 02:07 AM

anyone got the link for the dude who accidentally delidded his chip backwards, ripped some transistors off and soldered them back on ?

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Never Settle

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 14 February 2017 - 02:54 PM Edited by ΣΓ, 14 February 2017 - 02:55 PM.

Not sure how you could rip transistors off given that they are unbelievably small and most\all chips today (binning) are one billion plus in transistor count. Perhaps he accidentally removed some of the other smaller chips (might be cache related) which is the sort of damage you might be able to undo.

BTW, weird Windows 10 fact: did you know that it cannot tell the difference between a .FILE extension (essentially blank extension) and a folder? Or at the very least it gets the two confused. It took me hours to figure this out. All the time I thought Win10 started f*cking with permissions or my HDD got corrupted because I couldn't copy the file on desktop where the folder with the same name was (i.e. EXAMPLE folder and EXAMPLE.FILE). It can also confuse blank extensions with system files for some reason.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Godfather

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2016
    Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2015
    Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Movies/TV] 2013

Posted 17 February 2017 - 08:02 PM

Does anyone have experience with gazelle or their kiosks for selling phones?

I have a few iPhones lying around and according to their website they say they'll give a good $600+ for them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users