Tech General Chat

2,525 replies to this topic
err5
  • err5

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted A day ago

But I've actually found it to be faster on boot and shut down, which has taken me by surprise as they've claimed that with every generation since Windows 98 and it's always turned out to be bollocks, but this time they actually gon dunnit.

What OS is the boot and shutdown time compared to ?

Windows 10 free upgrade runs out in 22 hours
I have woken up on several occasions in cold sweats after having nightmares of running Windows 10

Am I making a mistake by not taking the free upgrade?

Nah. If you're happy with what you're running, then you've already won. Not everybody needs to upgrade, and I wish Microsoft got that through their head before trying to force people to do so. I tried Windows 10 twice, and both times I've run into issues that were not present on my older OS versions (8.1).

Well said, sir. Sometimes if something works fine, don't touch it. I can tell from experience that the laptop I'm using right now, which apart from games I use for important stuff such as college reports, works no matter what due to getting as few updates as possible - only the security ones matter (or if a software version reaches EOL).

Crokey
  • Crokey

Builders Like Erections

• Zaibatsu
  • Belize
  • Worst Tits 2015
    Best Poster [Sports] 2015
    Best Poster [Sports] 2014
    Worst Tits 2014
    Last ever poster in a public area on the old forum
    Best Llama 2016

Posted 21 hours ago

But I've actually found it to be faster on boot and shut down, which has taken me by surprise as they've claimed that with every generation since Windows 98 and it's always turned out to be bollocks, but this time they actually gon dunnit.

Windows 7 64bit, on my machine I'd say it's increased by about 30-40%

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Skål, jævler!

• United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 20 hours ago

W10 is so fast to boot for me that I don't actually get to see the spinning wheel. I go straight from my motherboard splash screen into the Windows logon screen.
I think that's probably due to my M.2 drive though.
  • Kristian. likes this

err5
  • err5

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 hours ago

Windows 7 64bit, on my machine I'd say it's increased by about 30-40%

It seems like the system doesn't perform a true shutdown, but something between hibernation and sleeping mode. Can you compare reboot times ?

Ai®a©ob®a
  • Ai®a©ob®a

General

• Members
  • NATO

Posted An hour ago

Has any of you bought one of the new GTX cards? i am thinking of picking up the 1060, i was gonna get the 1070 before i heard about the 1060 coming out so i decided to wait.

my GTX is 750 so 1060 is gonna be a huge boost and it's only $250 a price i can afford.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Skål, jævler!

• United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted An hour ago

I've got a 1080. It's been absolutely flawless so far. Due to an Amazon mix-up I ended up paying far, far below the RRP (£519).

The 1060 offers serious bang-for-buck.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users