• yojc

~y

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Poland
  • Best Poster [Tech] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Tech] 2013
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:30 AM

It was known for a very long time how the new start button would function. I can't see anybody being misleaded.

Android
  • Android

Nitrogen iodine carbon potassium

• Zaibatsu
  • United-States
  • April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]
    Helpfulness Award [GTA V]

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:14 PM

I must've misread then, it's fine though. I like how at the Start screen we can change the size of the tiles now, very interesting.

Stinky12
  • Stinky12

No title

• Members

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:36 PM

Here is what I found out with Windows 8.1

1. According to a poster from Tom's Hardware. They asked Microsoft, if they're going to release a Network or Standalone version of Windows 8.1? Their answer so far is no. Users with Windows 8 and want Windows 8.1, will have to install Windows 8 first and get Windows 8.1 from Windows Store.

2. I have a SSD on my desktop, but the User and Program folder is on the HDD. When upgrading to Windows 8.1, setup notice my User folder is not on the same location as the OS and setup cannot continue. Looks like I will have to reinstall the whole system. :/

3. On my netbook which I got Windows 8.1 installed, it creates two Windows folder: Windows and Windows.old, this takes up twice as much space. A quick fix was to run disk clean up and remove previous install OS.

4. Windows 8.1 uses a live account (this was known with Windows 8.1 preview). Users can do two separate accounts, local for the computer and Live for Windows Store or other programs that uses it.

5. Windows 8.1 saves personal files to SkyDrive by default. Some may like this idea, but personally I don't. Luckily this can be disabled under PC settings or when performing the initial setup. It's funny that, Windows says disabling SkyDrive isn't recommended, it's also says, it's not recommended for users to have two separate accounts (local and Live). :rol:

• Android likes this

yojc
  • yojc

~y

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Poland
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 19 October 2013 - 07:22 PM

2. I have a SSD on my desktop, but the User and Program folder is on the HDD. When upgrading to Windows 8.1, setup notice my User folder is not on the same location as the OS and setup cannot continue. Looks like I will have to reinstall the whole system. :/

Well... why would yo do that (change the location) anyway, what's the point? Unless your SSD is really small (like 32 gigs or so).

4. Windows 8.1 uses a live account (this was known with Windows 8.1 preview). Users can do two separate accounts, local for the computer and Live for Windows Store or other programs that uses it.

It's no different than Windows 8 as far as I can tell.

SilverRST
  • SilverRST

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 October 2013 - 03:15 PM Edited by SilverRST, 20 October 2013 - 03:16 PM.

So, Nvidia has announced GTX780 Ti. There are still no specifications but it will be silent and has a low TDP.

But why the expensive GTX Titan? GTX780Ti is rumored to be faster in gaming than the GTX Titan

but slower in DP/CUDA than the GTX Titan. And what exactly means DP? I just read it on tech sites but no one mentioned its full meaning.

The GTX Titan is actually a cheaper Tesla compute?

Andreas
  • Andreas

Leone Family Mafia

• V Staff
  • Austria
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2014
    Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 20 October 2013 - 03:39 PM Edited by Andreas., 20 October 2013 - 03:46 PM.

So, Nvidia has announced GTX780 Ti. There are still no specifications but it will be silent and has a low TDP.
But why the expensive GTX Titan? GTX780Ti is rumored to be faster in gaming than the GTX Titan
but slower in DP/CUDA than the GTX Titan. And what exactly means DP? I just read it on tech sites but no one mentioned its full meaning.

It might be only a rumour that it's faster than the GTX Titan, but I think it definitely is the case. The Titan GPU is only about 3-10% faster than the GTX780, so the 780Ti has to be faster than both of them, or it is just a waste of a graphic card, in my opinion. There is one thing you have to consider: nVidia's GTX Titan has 6GB of VRAM, which is twice as much than the GTX780. That is one of the reasons why the GPU is so damn expensive. Even if it is faster in DP and CUDA, it still does not warrant the high price, if you ask me. As far as I know, DP means 'Double Precision', and it is for high degrees of precision for models, simulations, and so on. It hardly gives you any benefits in videogames, though, as far as I'm aware.

SilverRST
  • SilverRST

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 October 2013 - 03:53 PM

It might be only a rumour that it's faster than the GTX Titan, but I think it definitely is the case. The Titan GPU is only about 3-10% faster than the GTX780, so the 780Ti has to be faster than both of them, or it is just a waste of a graphic card, in my opinion. There is one thing you have to consider: nVidia's GTX Titan has 6GB of VRAM, which is twice as much than the GTX780. That is one of the reasons why the GPU is so damn expensive. Even if it is faster in DP and CUDA, it still does not warrant the high price, if you ask me. As far as I know, DP means 'Double Precision', and it is for high degrees of precision for models, simulations, and so on. It hardly gives you any benefits in videogames, though, as far as I'm aware.

Thanks for the xplanation. double Precisions. No wonder why the GTX780 is slower than the Titan in DP and CUDA but faster

in gaming than the Titan. So the Titan is basically a Tesla compute card?

Gaming GPU's doesn't need high DP, I already guessed it won't give any benefit in videogames.

DP's are only good for professional 3D editing like CAD, 3DS Max, maya and so on.

I see this forum has the possibility to change usernames?

Stinky12
  • Stinky12

No title

• Members

Posted 21 October 2013 - 03:49 AM Edited by Stinky12, 21 October 2013 - 03:53 AM.

Well... why would yo do that (change the location) anyway, what's the point? Unless your SSD is really small (like 32 gigs or so).

It's no different than Windows 8 as far as I can tell.

Many users with a small size SSD like 120GB have the same configuration that I have, where they put the user folder into the HDD in a SDD+HDD setup.

Yep Windows 8 and 8.1 both let users either run a local account and e-mail account. But a slight difference is, in 8.1 there Is a misconception that if Users don't use their e-mail as their user name, then

setup isn't done correctly or it's going to have problems. This was the same with SkyDrive after I upgrade to 8.1 on my netbook. At the initialize setup, SkyDrive prompt and told me to configure it. I disable it and it says

"not recommended".  http://www.7tutorial...at-does-it-mean

Intel Broadwell-K roadmap

http://vr-zone.com/a...dmap/60966.html

yojc
  • yojc

~y

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Poland
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 21 October 2013 - 01:25 PM

Well, I'm using local account on Win8.1 and I can't see any problems (that wouldn't occur on 8).

Stinky12
  • Stinky12

No title

• Members

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:43 PM Edited by Stinky12, 23 October 2013 - 03:47 PM.

Me neither

Asus Rampage IV Black Edition (not finalized yet)

29boyo1.jpg

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

We are coven

• United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:00 PM Edited by sivispacem, 23 October 2013 - 09:00 PM.

Right, that's on my shopping list to replace my Crosshair IV when I do my processor upgrade.

Stinky12
  • Stinky12

No title

• Members

Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:51 PM Edited by Stinky12, 24 October 2013 - 02:53 PM.

AMD's R9-290x reviews are out. Price for the card is around $550.

Whiskey
  • Whiskey

Homie

• The Connection

Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:18 PM

Are those two coax ports on that motherboard?

yojc
  • yojc

~y

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Poland
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:26 PM

Possibly WiFi antennae ports.

SilverRST
  • SilverRST

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 October 2013 - 03:35 PM

Nvidia has dropped the prices of the GTX770 and GTX780.

Pretty cool because I have saved almost 200 euros than back some months ago.

Which 780 is a better choice: EVGA 780 Classified or MSI 780 Lightning?

I won't go for the R290X because of the heat producing.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

We are coven

• United-Kingdom

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:19 PM

The EVGA is faster out of the box, but there are much better 780s out there, usually with non-reference boards.

SilverRST
  • SilverRST

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 October 2013 - 12:41 AM

The EVGA is faster out of the box, but there are much better 780s out there, usually with non-reference boards.

Which one?

The Pizza Delivery Guy
  • The Pizza Delivery Guy

If You Know What I Mean

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 October 2013 - 03:58 AM

I put this in General's Have A Question topic, sivis said it would be a good idea to check here, too, and here I am because his solution did not work.

Also, apologies for acting dumb in the video:

AAAH stupid computer. I'm having lots of problems lately involving running games.

I'll try to open a game running off DirectX. It begins to load, then goes black to enter fullscreen. That's normal. Right after that it kicks me out of fullscreen back to the desktop, and the game's icon will be sitting on the taskbar, running.

When I try to click my way back in, the screen goes black, and then immediately kicks me out again, with the game's sounds popping at random spurts. I have to close out of the window through task manager from there. Nearly every game I tried to open did the same thing until I started filming it, of course.

This has been happening since the end of August. Someone said somewhere it meant I needed a new graphics card. If so, then the one I bought is damn worthless. It's barely lasted me 6 months with very little actual game playing.

My question really comes down to... what can I do about this?

I'm using the AMD Raedon HD 7770 if it helps at all.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

We are coven

• United-Kingdom

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:49 AM Edited by sivispacem, 30 October 2013 - 08:51 AM.

Which one?

Zotac AMP, Galaxy HoF Palit Super Jetstream, Asus DirectCU. I've heard mixed reports about whether the EVGA one is a reference or a non-reference PCB, it might actually be custom which of course means much greater headroom for overclocking. Of those four, the Galaxy is the fastest out of the box (but is by far the most expensive), the Palit probably the best bang-for-buck, the Zotac has the highest memory clocks and the Asus has the highest overclock potential at a reasonable price, due to VGA Hotwire, which can overcome the voltage limitations of the card.

SilverRST
  • SilverRST

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:13 PM

Which one?

Zotac AMP, Galaxy HoF Palit Super Jetstream, Asus DirectCU. I've heard mixed reports about whether the EVGA one is a reference or a non-reference PCB, it might actually be custom which of course means much greater headroom for overclocking. Of those four, the Galaxy is the fastest out of the box (but is by far the most expensive), the Palit probably the best bang-for-buck, the Zotac has the highest memory clocks and the Asus has the highest overclock potential at a reasonable price, due to VGA Hotwire, which can overcome the voltage limitations of the card.

And if I'm not planning on overclocking the 780, then which one is fine?

Whiskey
  • Whiskey

Homie

• The Connection

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:22 PM Edited by Whiskey, 30 October 2013 - 09:22 PM.

I put this in General's Have A Question topic, sivis said it would be a good idea to check here, too, and here I am because his solution did not work.

AAAH stupid computer. I'm having lots of problems lately involving running games.

I'll try to open a game running off DirectX. It begins to load, then goes black to enter fullscreen. That's normal. Right after that it kicks me out of fullscreen back to the desktop, and the game's icon will be sitting on the taskbar, running.

When I try to click my way back in, the screen goes black, and then immediately kicks me out again, with the game's sounds popping at random spurts. I have to close out of the window through task manager from there. Nearly every game I tried to open did the same thing until I started filming it, of course.

This has been happening since the end of August. Someone said somewhere it meant I needed a new graphics card. If so, then the one I bought is damn worthless. It's barely lasted me 6 months with very little actual game playing.

My question really comes down to... what can I do about this?

Tried reinstalling your graphics drivers/Direct X?

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

We are coven

• United-Kingdom

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:05 AM Edited by sivispacem, 31 October 2013 - 10:06 AM.

Which one?

And if I'm not planning on overclocking the 780, then which one is fine?

If you want outright speed probably the Palit, that's fastest out of the box that isn't stupidly expensive, but a bit noisy.

The Pizza Delivery Guy
  • The Pizza Delivery Guy

If You Know What I Mean

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 November 2013 - 03:23 AM Edited by The Pizza Delivery Guy, 01 November 2013 - 03:23 AM.

[snip]

That's what I did the first time, didn't work

Stinky12
  • Stinky12

No title

• Members

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:21 PM

[snip]

That's what I did the first time, didn't work

It could be a antivirus program or some programs interfering with the game. Close off all programs on the taskbar and try again.

yojc
  • yojc

~y

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Poland
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:25 PM

If you want outright speed probably the Palit, that's fastest out of the box that isn't stupidly expensive, but a bit noisy.

Palit/Gainward cards are a bit lacking in terms of warranty, only 2 years (not sure if it applies to all countries). I'd definitely not spend so much money on a card with two year warranty, three years would be minimum, preferably more.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

We are coven

• United-Kingdom

Posted 02 November 2013 - 03:47 PM

Asus ones are five, I know that much. Presume their main competitors like MSI are the same.

yojc
  • yojc

~y

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Poland
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 02 November 2013 - 04:14 PM

Which models do come with 5-year warranty exactly? All the ones I could find had three year warranty. MSI and Gigabyte also offer three year warranty IIRC.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

We are coven

• United-Kingdom

Posted 02 November 2013 - 04:30 PM

My mistake, I've confused it with the TUF series motherboards.

Stinky12
  • Stinky12

No title

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:40 AM

Some EVGA comes with Lifetime warranty

XFX has double lifetime warranty

yojc
  • yojc

~y

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Poland
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:58 AM

Only in certain countries, definitely not in EU.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users