Photo

Tech General Chat

1,223 replies to this topic
Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:22 AM Edited by Slamman, 04 March 2012 - 07:27 AM.

From what I read, Skyrim is in need of the extra core horsepower of CPUs, versus GPUs, so at least make sure the CPU is not a bottleneck in your system...
No contest compared to mine,
http://www.hwcompare...radeon-hd-6870/
so Ima need upgrading too, just not sinking 200 bones on a gfx card, that isn't MXM...ha ha

manofpeace
  • manofpeace

Stay Gold

• Members

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:25 AM

Well, I've got an i7, so my CPU is of no concern to anything for the next few years anyhow. tounge.gif

friendly luggage
  • friendly luggage

Catch a ride!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:00 PM

@manofpiece
What's your budget? I think the ATI 7800 series will be out soon so you could wait for that wink.gif

yojo2
  • yojo2

~y

• Members
  • Poland
  • Most Knowledgeable [Technology] 2013
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 04 March 2012 - 01:07 PM

QUOTE (manofpeace @ Sunday, Mar 4 2012, 05:19)
And that's just with the 1GB model of 6870 being compared.

2GB model will perform the same, aside from a few games that can actually utilise >1GB VRAM.

Anyway, I'd wait for the HD7800 series. wink.gif

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:54 AM Edited by Slamman, 06 March 2012 - 01:01 AM.

I decided to pit my two best PCIe gaming cards, since I was at the site offered up the other nite, Enjoy. Oh, and weigh in, since opinions are what make life interesting

http://www.hwcompare...radeon-hd-5450/

If you have two gaming cards, this might be interesting to compare them, what you already have, or considering used, since there's a database.

UPDATING, This may not help you at all, but I found 3 more PCs set out in an alleyway where I'm at, one's HyperThreading silkscreened, motherboard with CPU, HSF and AGP slot, in a case, some parted PSUs, memory and ODD removed, however, all three seem to have a CPU, one with PSU in the case, I had only the ability to take one home at the time, and clean it up, it was CLOGGED with dust and hair, just nasty, but it's an HP Media Center edition PC, with Pentium D, dual core, 2.8Ghz it appears, 4 RAM DIMM slots, DDR2, model m7160n
Asus motherboard supplies PCIex16, 3 PCI slots, front and rear Firewire support, a major coup since I love Firewire's rapid vid capture, with the missing parts, it will support Media Bay, Lightscribe DVD RW and a standard DVD ROM, a video tuner card supporting the front panel AV jacks, composite, stereo, S-video, in rear, in and out coax Optical digital, the audio ports support mini plug 6 channel surround on the Asus board model P5LP-LE
Not bad! Worth it for a heat sink and dual core CPU!
This:

http://reviews.cnet....7-31492344.html

friendly luggage
  • friendly luggage

Catch a ride!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:01 PM

Nice find Slamman. Have you tried the CPU to see if it works? Today I've just unplugged every power cable from my system and re-done so it's a lot more tidy. The CM Elite 430 case has very little cable management so I've had to tuck cables behind the HDD cage.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 06 March 2012 - 01:00 AM Edited by Slamman, 06 March 2012 - 02:12 AM.

I'm looking up parts and specs, here's the Tuner card I need, the guy pulled all the accesories, I got the media card reader, case, and the mobo and HSF, the P-D will be tested, it was still assembled, with coolant, no pin damage, no bulging caps, but the PSU was removed, so it seems if might have caused a PSU blow situation with all the dust in the damn thing!

...the Asus tuner at auction:
http://www.ebay.com/...d#ht_500wt_1038

The Pentium D I have already is the 3.2 clocked version, and I paid damn near $50 for that, since the P-Ds are in demand, believe it or not, but they DO run HOT! I played EfLC with my PentiumD and it got super hot with issues regarding Intel's plastic fan heatsink (the push and turn connector freebie, included with your processor. Mine just seemed to be loose on one of the corners! The system would shut itself down, protection kicking in I guess, it's yet another Asus board, so I hope that's a standard failsafe?!

Here's the board as I got it, without Ram and GPU, like my other GPU card, only 1GB per slot

http://www.ebay.com/...f#ht_859wt_1016

The factory heatsink actually has a metal shield that covers the upper plastic, it's missing from this board, oddly. It slips over and mounts to the four screw locations of the black fan ^

manofpeace
  • manofpeace

Stay Gold

• Members

Posted 06 March 2012 - 02:08 AM

QUOTE (illegal_luggage @ Sunday, Mar 4 2012, 07:00)
@manofpiece
What's your budget? I think the ATI 7800 series will be out soon so you could wait for that wink.gif

I'm not really willing to spend half a grand on a graphics card. $200 is as high as I'll ever go for such a component.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 06 March 2012 - 02:13 AM

I always try for the best card under $150, not a bad policy since I approve! haha

friendly luggage
  • friendly luggage

Catch a ride!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:12 PM

QUOTE (manofpeace @ Tuesday, Mar 6 2012, 02:08)
QUOTE (illegal_luggage @ Sunday, Mar 4 2012, 07:00)
@manofpiece

I'm not really willing to spend half a grand on a graphics card. $200 is as high as I'll ever go for such a component.

This will be good. Anyway we don't know the prices of a 7850 or 7870 yet anyway so it might be under $200.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814130625

yojo2
  • yojo2

~y

• Members
  • Poland
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:26 PM

Prices of HD7800 series cards are known, HD7850 and HD7870 will cost $249 and $349 respectively. Unless AMD decides to lower the price before the cards even hit the shelves.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:50 AM Edited by Slamman, 08 March 2012 - 06:19 AM.

I'm looking at PC reviews dating back to 2003 and the like, it's interesting to see what's beaten what, and the various time-lines, What was considered old at tech forum archives, I've also been looking over and finding interesting comments.
It's ultimately true that nothing is really fast enough to settle on without complaint
The increments in tech speed have really often been like a drag race trying to get better times in the quarter mile runs! haha

I picked up another discarded computer, they removed the HDD, basically, that's it. A rare eMachine with PCIexpress! Not too bad, but it's seemingly the 915 Intel (D915 silkscreened near CPU) chipset, the plus side is I have been using my IBM ThinkCentre M51 and Dell's SX-280 Optiplexes already, both use that chipset, and SATA interfaces, so a drive format is a cinch!

On top of it working (After some BIOS and boot changes), it came with a stick of 512MB DDR2, slow 4200 speed, sadly, but it allows for a good XP memory platform, where the RAM would be limited with full on 1GB increments

Model T3522, IIRC, has a Celeron 775 socket "D", rating 3.33Ghz, and 64bit capable on top of that, so, what might work in place of the Celeron D? a 3.40Ghz Pentium HT supporting 64bit, or Pentium 4 at 3.6Ghz I believe will work in these, and if not a Pentium D, since the bus is only 533Mhz at present, I think the HTT would allow some gaming, too bad you can't get mileage overclocking it from 3.33!
Found a link at the Unofficial eMachines user group, keep forgetting they're around, and I'm a member!?!
They linked to an Intel CPU support guide, for single core, 775 socket, you can opt for 2MB L2 or 1MB L2, faster clock; 3.8Ghz, the 570J Pentium, or the P4 660, 650, 640, and so on (model reference No.)

http://www.expotv.co...Hz-512-M/1i-nrh

What is up with that short video?! Something went wrong
The specs show in this eBay listing:
GMA900, 915 chipset, yep, no dual core possible, sadly, though the BIOS seems to show as 2006 in the dating of the system, Dual Core was in the market in 2005, the MCE HP I mentioned is new at the time with Windows MCE, 2005 edition of the OS (runs 800 FSB, 775 Socket T as well, but does support Pentium D)

http://www.ebay.com/...d-/220695901516

Found my driver source! May want to reference the page for any Intel spec board, guys n gals!
http://downloadcente...u...="d915gux"#

Gaming magazine came in the mail, Intel GDC wrapping promo is advertising a new app on their site, also shown live at GDC, here's the link

www.intel.com/support/gpa

While I delayed using this link, I got it off a magazine's printed ad, just today, so it seems official yet redirects with some errors, Try and find the tool from my own search here:
http://www.intel.com...rk&allwords=gpa

Be sure to check it out if you're a gamer and want some official tools for Windows or Intel CPU systems

Stinky12
  • Stinky12

No title

• Members

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:17 PM

Ivy Bridge benchmark preview

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:44 AM

Ivy Bridge details....Further!! I wonder what lies ahead, and if we should wait for the Intel TOCK!??

http://www.techspot....tel-ivy-bridge/

friendly luggage
  • friendly luggage

Catch a ride!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:15 PM

The 680 has been released by Nvidia. The power it consumes is very low for its performance which is good. I'll be more excited though when the 660 or 650 comes out because I'll be building a PC for my friend around then. Hopefully the 660 will be around the 200 mark although if the performance blows the 560 ti out the water then it'll probably be more.

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None
    Best Contributor [Technology] 2012

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:36 PM

Yep and eVGA (and others) released their GTX 680's today on Newegg as well. However they are all listed as 'out of stock.'

Stinky12
  • Stinky12

No title

• Members

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:49 PM

Funny how a comment on Tom's said he already order 2 of them. Maybe just trolling or something. moto_whistle.gif

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:24 PM

How about the Intel Roadmap beyond Ivy Bridge?

Haswell and it's successive die-shrinks?
Any bets on what will be the best computing chip? How long a wait would be deemed worthwhile?

leik oh em jeez!
  • leik oh em jeez!

The boatman stays with the boat.

• Members

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:54 AM

QUOTE (illegal_luggage @ Thursday, Mar 22 2012, 11:15)
The 680 has been released by Nvidia.

So this is why I was able to nab a 480 for $185 shipped today when last week I couldn't win any of them at $200? Oh well, maybe prices will drop and I can get another one soon.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:26 AM

I'm opting to sell my ATI Radeon HD5450, just formatted my i3 Biostar with Win8 Developer Preview, using the ATI card, I initially had to use 2GB of my RAM to get XP working, and install Win8 on top of that, since this is the funky HDD I've been mentioning, I am letting it go with the system, and the trial of Windows 8 should appeal to a buyer, testing games on the HD5450. For a latest, greatest GPU as mentioned, will have to wait for a good deal. I don't see paying more then $200 on the card, perhaps I'll get to spend some tax refund, but they tell me I owe.... DAMN

friendly luggage
  • friendly luggage

Catch a ride!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:40 PM

Yeah older generation cards are going really cheap now. I'm hoping that I won't have to upgrade from my GTX 560 Ti for at least 2.5 years. @Slamman the ATi 5450 isn't really a gaming card. As you're selling your 1156 system are you building a new system?

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:29 AM Edited by Slamman, 29 March 2012 - 03:33 AM.

There's plenty of 5450 articles online, and mine has the max Ram for that card I believe, 1GB, which can be shared with System Ram.
I'm going to build a new system when I'm earning money again, either that or a major deal falls into my lap, I was discussing that Intel has some plans beyond Haswell, but how long will we be waiting for that to materialize? Will it actually be more timely as far as other tech advances? I've not tried to jump over the Jonses in buying State of the Art, so to speak, but getting a new Intel die shink CPU and socketed mobo would be nice!

I'll wait for Ivy Bridge versus Haswell and any other details emerge, could be worth the wait, since Sandy is still the basis of Ivy
Here's more on the nVidia, case anyone missed Techspot;

http://www.techspot....ce-gtx-680.html

The new GPU codename just makes me think of this guy! Yikes!

http://en.wikipedia....i/Edmund_Kemper

Fermi makes me think of something Sci-Fi
I think Intel has the better chip codenames

>> Found an old Dell tonight, the nice thing is it's set to run and not missing parts, gonna fire it up ASAP
I mentioned in Gen Chat topic about the two Asus HP media Center rigs I wound up with, one a Lithium, the other a Limestone, two models apart it seems, the m7160n and the m7170n
No real idea the differences other then the mobos have slight alterations, a PCI Expansion slots on the Lithium at the very bottom, looks like an oddball riser slots

However, searching reviews, I see that moving to the 8series would be the best option!
http://reviews.cnet....7-32472845.html

The HP M8120n, offers Core2Quad Q6600, though the review says no on gaming, that's a falsehood, it would work well for gaming with forsaking the budget entry vid card, and adding a few hundred watts to the PSU, it can still do 3D well

Stinky12
  • Stinky12

No title

• Members

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:26 AM

After restoring so many Dell machines, I've just notice the default wallpaper them boomboxes are actually upside down!
If any of you have a Dell and that boombox wallpaper, you'll notice the handle is at the wrong position. moto_whistle.gif
My guess for this would be, originally it was in the correct position until Dell realize the icon text color and boombox are both white. This may
cause some problems to many users so instead of redoing the whole thing, just flip it and there problem solve! biggrin.gif

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:35 AM

I don't typically see any Dell wallpapers that I can recall, my folks have one with the Dell logo and a keyboard among blue textured backdrop, a very nice appearance
Can you find an image online?

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None
    Best Contributor [Technology] 2012

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:01 AM

QUOTE (Stinky12 @ Thursday, Mar 29 2012, 21:26)
After restoring so many Dell machines, I've just notice the default wallpaper them boomboxes are actually upside down!
If any of you have a Dell and that boombox wallpaper, you'll notice the handle is at the wrong position. moto_whistle.gif
My guess for this would be, originally it was in the correct position until Dell realize the icon text color and boombox are both white. This may
cause some problems to many users so instead of redoing the whole thing, just flip it and there problem solve! biggrin.gif

LOL Wow! That's Dell for ya.
I did a Google search for this: Dell wallpaper boombox
Not only did I get an image results with the wallpaper but also one forum post asking for the images (and the Rapidshare link still worked too and it had that image in it) but also a Microsoft Answers help question where they OP seems to think it's a problem with Vista and Win7 that is causing it. But wait it gets better, one of the offered solutions on there was to use CTRL+ALT+DOWN which of course flips everything upside down, but hey at least the wallpaper is right side up. Damn, people are stupid. I'm not sure which in this case is dumber; Dell for releasing it that way (because it could be some artsy fartsy thing) or the people "helping" at MSA.

Oh hell. Just before I was going to hit submit I went back to the MSA topic again and read this
I'ts a Dell thing I suppose.  I tried to rotate it but it's a " Read Only"  item so I can't "fix" it .

THEN OPEN THE PROPERTIES AND UNCHECK READ ONLY YOU MORON!
Or if some reason Dell and MS made it so you can't then copy the bloody file to another folder and do it there. Good lord! user posted image

At least this guy "tminz" at the very end more or less has his head screwed on, it's not screwed on perfectly straight but it's on so give him half credit.
But even the 2 "support engineers" are for the most part useless.

friendly luggage
  • friendly luggage

Catch a ride!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:51 PM

Why does DELL get so much hate? They aren't that bad. That wallpaper 'fix' is pretty funny lol.gif

Stinky12
  • Stinky12

No title

• Members

Posted 31 March 2012 - 01:34 AM

Microsoft forum is absolutely of no help. Every time I needed help on a issue by visiting their forum, all you get are just useless answers that has no relation with the topic question.
It seems most of them "helpers" don't know squat about computers and are just typing what their reading from their instruction manual or catalog. sigh.gif

friendly luggage
  • friendly luggage

Catch a ride!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:48 AM

The MS forums can be a bit hit and miss. They've helped though with Word 2007 and 2010.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:43 PM

To everyone who did hear about this free Dell 4550 I found, I've been working on that project since the day I picked it up and yet to clean the dang thing! I want to report the Creative website (Support.creative DOT com) does now support the software and drivers, this is not true from my past experience... Anyone confirm, it seems they made you pay for support software in years past, that this website support is new, perhaps set up last year?
I want to report that the drivers and support software is working, I did get one BSOD installing, but I shut off and rebooted with another attempt running the installer, error free.

The info on this project is that the original 60Gig HDD was mucked up, hence the owner getting rid of it, it had it's own BSOD problem with original Windows XP Home SP1, It allowed me to use XP Pro SP2 restore from Dell to write on top of that partition Win format, leaving the data safe by renaming it, it allows a dual boot option as such, BUT.... only the XP Pro will boot with success.

This retains corrupted data, I'm sure, the reason being is determining that the BSOD is based on a failed XP Restore by the previous owner, I found that using SAFE mode, but trying to Restore it via the same method got me no where

These are lessons learned if you find a restore failing, follow the same technique I did, This is also true for what I did when restoring Vista Ultimate failed, I used my install disk to reformat allowing the needed files to be re-installed, I was able to keep the old files

The main point of this post is that CREATIVE's software is working, but seemingly less feature rich then the advertised capability of the old Creative support, the original one.

Anyone with experience with older Creative Sound cards, I'd like to hear your stories. I had a used Extigy, the external variety
According to the animated user guide of the original Audigy, you can by a front mount panel that ties to the sound card to allow MIDI input, or a breakout box type of connection via USB, offering some options in the same regard. As it stands with the latest download MediaSource 5 I think it is, the RECORD audio option is up front and center, I don't see the surround modes as evident, or the Dolby EX advertised originally for the Audigy2.
I did set the soundcard for 5.1 surround, and the new driver supports 7.1 modes as well, but the card seemingly won't
It DOES seemingly allow multi surround INPUT for making your own digital surround sound field using the same jacks on the card, I haven't tested this out yet, but I am excited for the option that DOES seem to exist on these cards

Stinky12
  • Stinky12

No title

• Members

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:08 AM

I flipped that Dell wallpaper to it's correct position and them boombox look a bit scary with it's huge speakers (that look like giant eyes) starting right at you.
No wonder they have to flip it. Art work fail? lol.gif

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users