» «
Photo

Tech General Chat

1,230 replies to this topic
Exxon
  • Exxon

The Obvious Child

• Members

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:49 PM Edited by Exxon, 26 January 2012 - 12:58 PM.

The 12.1 drivers for AMD Radeon HD 6xxx cards are out, let's see if that fixes my Call of Duty performance issues turn.gif

Question: Would Triple Buffering really help in games?

yojo2
  • yojo2

~y

• Members
  • Poland
  • Most Knowledgeable [Technology] 2013
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 26 January 2012 - 01:09 PM

Triple Buffering mostly just fixes mouse lag issues with vsync turned on.

Exxon
  • Exxon

The Obvious Child

• Members

Posted 26 January 2012 - 01:20 PM

It does seem to work with Modern Warfare 3, a tiny bit turn.gif

But I can now play with DOF on, but Shadows and Soften Smoke Edges must still be disabled!
Why the f*ck do I have this f*cking problem? mad.gif

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 27 January 2012 - 08:35 AM

Questions are for the other Gen Purpose Tech Thread. Just want to advertise my sister's husband's super nice laptop, an Asus G73S I believe it is, and there's a G73J model that Maximum PC gave a Kick Ass 9 rating to, not bad, but lists for $1800, he paid $1300 to 1600 bones??

Anywho, not a bad 17 inch i7 CPU with 8GB portable machine, even specs to 3D BluRay and USB 3.0!

I've been shopping for an i945GM upgrade, the T7400 or T7600 Core2 to replace the current default T2450 that's 2GB but only Core Duo, not Core2Duo, but an upgrade just for CPU is $100, the MXM top level II cards are $200 used, and the motherboard for MXM is at least $50, so a used computer upgrade in lieu of that would be about $350 range... MAYBE??
Saw an Athlon x2 Acer Aspire with 15.3 inch LCD and ATI graphics for $350 used, it's a tough call since my HDDs won't really swap to another chipset, Intel to AMD is a certain ROADBLOCK for Windows swaps

yojo2
  • yojo2

~y

• Members
  • Poland
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:54 AM

AMD Radeon HD7950 @ TPU

What can I say... Power consumption == mercie_blink.gif

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 31 January 2012 - 05:54 PM Edited by Slamman, 01 February 2012 - 08:31 PM.

The idea in new CPU tech at least, and other power sources is to make them more efficient then years past, but the work load is still demanding and capability increasing as well.

New Maximum PC magazine came in the mail today, if it's on news-stands I don't know since it just came today, but a heads up, they review the ATI Radeon HD 7970, and some other interesting articles, on how to improve hardware you own (newer stuff, Intel AND Amd)

One last reply in the magazine is about old hardware, funny enough, a rather current GPU in my book, nVidia that's more then my budget would be, $300 for an outdated video card?? ha ha

But more interesting is a price hike on "hard to find" 1156 socket mobos. WHICH of course, I scored a half off $55 miniATX for that format, and bought memory and CPU for (i3 and 4GB DDR3!)

Well, it's still NEW enough, but an over-pricing trend apparently, along with HDDs

Pico
  • Pico

cinnamon ropes

• Zaibatsu

Posted 04 February 2012 - 04:15 AM

Picked up a new GPU and a Corsair H100. Had to transplant the PSU from the living room PC since it's got enough juice to run the HD6850. Got that out of the way.

Now it's down to rigging up the radiator and fans in my tiny Antec 300. I thibk side mounting it will be the best route to go, just going to take some cutting and drilling. Wish me luck, will be back with pics.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 05 February 2012 - 12:01 AM Edited by Slamman, 06 February 2012 - 08:01 PM.

New Phase (IIRC) memory tech on the future horizon, I unearthed an article mentioning the technology several years back, so it's a safe bet, they've invested heavily in bringing it to fruition

Don't know if you guys read up on 3D tech, not just for Transistors!

Some links I think could benefit EVERYONE, just look up specs on this!

http://www.tomshardw...ics-facts-myths

http://www.cpu-world...n/SearchSite.pl

http://www.cpu-world.....16I3530).html

My i3 ^, Dual core, but HyperThreading still.
The helpful guides I was searching for were to nail down specs for CPU matching to Intel chipsets mainly, and if a GPU is lacking, what Intel video is likely to be onboard. Interesting piece on Integrated graphics, of course, I'm no longer a stranger to GMA 900 or 950, I'm on it now, but it's better then the Intel Extreme Graphics (2) move, which was hardly EXTREME anything! ha ha

Foxconn again in the news, with rather careless worker health and safety, and the lack of American Manufacturing for tech and the like, which is a grave issue for me, since that's my profession!
Apple is under fire because Foxconn makes their iPhones

It's also noted they have over 400,000 working over seas, and only 20,000 workers Stateside!

F4L?
  • F4L?

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:56 AM

Pretty sad, had my brand new Galaxy S II for almost a whole week...and now it refuses to turn on and i must get a replacement, which is just inconveniant, i have to start GTA III over again and re-add contacts.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:18 PM Edited by Slamman, 17 February 2012 - 03:42 AM.

New PC World came in the mail today, more info on Ivy Bridge, and what the hardware future might hold with "3D" in mind, however, to note, it's only a sidebar article so I'll relate that info in an edit, or tell or talk about what you know, it's also listed in their features that due to the Thailand floods, HDD manufacturers ARE in fact scaling back their warranties on such items.
Some vendors have been hoarding, but the outcome is obvious to those HDD shopping.

According to PCW, the manufacturers are devoting the savings of cut warranty terms to R and D, likely to avoid as much reliance as they have on those factories and parts required and found in jeopardy

They won't say there's anything related to the floods, but that the terms cover more consumer drives then those critical to business and needing maximum insurance and performance, like the police and medical professions, or Government. Older sold drive warranties will be honored

As far as Ivy Bridge, several months yet to go, the expected FIRST releases will be quad-core.
New reduced size core is likely NOT to physically be smaller because of being compatible to 1155 Sandy Bridge boards (in limited numbers??) but allow for that major improvement in embedded graphics onboard.

Will also, supposedly, cause the CPU/GPUs to run with much less heat, YET, 30 percent higher performance then SBridge out now!!

I scouted laptop drive prices and a way to get Skype online phone number without a fee, so people with cells or landline could call me on Skype without charge for the number, I had one for three months but it expired. SO.... Looking at MaxPC, last year they referenced RING2SKYPE dot Com, yet try it now, it redirects to Skype's own PAY 2 PLAY service, only allowing two Skype users to converse for free, anything else is a charge, so for an online phone number one could use with Skype, would you use something generically VoIP?

As well, SSD relating to Compact Flash? IDE??
I ask for your thoughts on something like this?
I did opt to get a CF to IDE adapter that's cheap and compact to fit right into a 2.5 PATA aged laptop >

http://www.ebay.com/...=item43ad2f4b78

UPDATE, We should be busy keeping up on Tech in here!
News on my fave Home Page site, Techspot shows that Ivy Bridge IS IN FACT, DELAYED!!
Gonna have to wait for the proper rollout on these CPUs

http://www.techspot....until-june.html

F4L?
  • F4L?

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:17 AM Edited by finn4life, 23 February 2012 - 05:49 AM.

Saw this on my phone, looks like graphics cards and the like will only be getting smaller.
Created by Australians as well tounge.gif

http://www.abc.net.a...nsistor/3839524

To those who are not going to read it and then reply with ignorance, this single atom transistors, this has been developed before, but the technique seems to have been perfected so it works every time in manufacturing rather than hit and miss.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:42 PM Edited by Slamman, 24 February 2012 - 06:42 AM.

I mentioned MXM PCIexpress cards for mobile laptops, it is the first I learned of it when I found the best laptop I acquired, used, makes use of MXM cards on certain revisions, since I bought it I'd been dealing with former owner passwords, malware, and failing hardware, but finding this site was a Godsend, any Acer Aspire or modern laptop or notebook users/owners might want to reference any MXM compatibility, I believe even the Asus ROGs might use MXM or at the very least, interchangeable graphic card options, a few, for example, Eurocom, and Alienware have allowed SLi and Crossfire in laptops, just as you'll find two HDDs under the hood, able to run in RAID mobile setups!
http://forums.laptop...-8600m-gt-woks/

More data on the coming PCI Express 4.0!

http://www.pcisig.co...Press_Release_/

Also read on their main page, in California, the SIG are meeting for the last day, TODAY, for a compliance conference, more details on their site perhaps, I didn't see it, but this might not be too exciting, since I'm editing this , Today means Feb 24th, 2012, note the article date above
It's expected to see tangible product lines in 2013

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None
    Best Contributor [Technology] 2012

Posted 29 February 2012 - 05:08 AM

Now for useful information
Google keeps track of what you while logged into your account. What search terms you use, when and how you use Gmail, even YouTube activity. They use this to target ads toward your habits. Nothing new, right. You can, as of now, go into you Google account settings and clear and also stop that. Notice I said, 'as of now,' this is because they will be changing that so that you cannot disable this unless you want to completely close your account.
You can read more about it at the link provided, which also includes the simple steps to clear your Google web history and disable it.
Source: http://www.digitaljo.../article/320137

Once you "pause" it, it'll stay paused until you hit Resume. They can/will still track you but they won't associate it to your account as log as its paused.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 29 February 2012 - 05:25 AM Edited by Slamman, 29 February 2012 - 08:34 AM.

Ivy Bridge delayed by weeks, not months as some have been thinking, what's confusing is the delay based on supply lacking, but we're talking Ultra books holding back desktop CPUs, the price range will be from about $180 to $330 USD
The best will have 4 cores, and 2 HTT threading per core, one dual core lower end will have HT, the rest won't.

Found this on an eBay auction, it's not really a gaming solution, but why not make an HDMI port via the PC Express card slots that adorn modern laptops anyway??

http://www.techradar...-adaptor-915616

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:16 PM

State your source for this Ivy Bridge 'weeks delay.' Because everywhere else, as of 1-2 days ago is still saying June.

yojo2
  • yojo2

~y

• Members
  • Poland
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:26 PM

Mobile CPUs are scheduled for June; desktop CPUs will be out on 29th April. http://www.techpower...e-Revealed.html

OCZ intros new Fatal1ty model - 1000W, with 80Plus Gold certificate. http://www.techpower...wer-Supply.html
I wouldn't care so much, but one thing caught my attention. Look at those cables.. wow.gif
user posted image
That's the first time I've seen a PSU with individually sleeved cables out-of-box.

Rebel
  • Rebel

Woop Woop!

• Members
  • Olympics

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:22 PM

Okay, so I just got my CPU through the post today, it didn't come with any thermal paste, only the pre applied stuff on the stock fan (from what I'm presuming and read) does this mean I need to buy thermal paste to apply to the top of my CPU chip before putting on the stock fan, or do I not need this with a stock fan? No thermal paste came with my CPU stuff.

leik oh em jeez!
  • leik oh em jeez!

The boatman stays with the boat.

• Members

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:35 PM

QUOTE (Rebel @ Wednesday, Feb 29 2012, 17:22)
Okay, so I just got my CPU through the post today, it didn't come with any thermal paste, only the pre applied stuff on the stock fan (from what I'm presuming and read) does this mean I need to buy thermal paste to apply to the top of my CPU chip before putting on the stock fan, or do I not need this with a stock fan? No thermal paste came with my CPU stuff.

If the stock fan already has thermal paste on it, then you don't need any more.

vertical limit
  • vertical limit

When in doubt don't pull out.

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:55 PM

Installing Win 8 beta. If your interested.

http://windows.micro...dows-8/download

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:45 AM Edited by Slamman, 01 March 2012 - 01:51 AM.

I got my IDE to CF aka Compact Flash adapter this week, to mate that to my Dell D800/M60 or Inspiron 8500/8600 series, the actual sliding HDD tray recepticle would have to be removed, since it has a pin-out arrangement that puts the soldered in leads and PCB too close to the bottom edge of the motherboard HDD interface, this is a bad design flaw, so I advise that this won't work for all laptop HDD replacements, but you could modify some, or in others like the Sony Vaio K, or Toshibas I've used, where the PATA interface has enough room on both sides. The max CF I've seen is 64GB, then the 32, 8, 4s. With a 2Gbyte CF, you can use Windows 3, 9x, or Damn Small Linux with some room to spare. I obviously suggest this as a fast boot test drive for systems, since storing on it won't be much help, it should aid older laptops running much faster then mechanical PATA however.

You can use a CPU with little thermal paste, if you over-do it, that's a concern as not having thermal paste, but believe me, my SX280 Dells work without any thermal paste, as do my laptops, and there's never been a heat induced system stroke

As for my Ivy Bridge info, again, Techspot article as of late. It's still reasonable to see the laptop ones delayed because they cant meet the demands initially, HOWEVER, it IS planned that IB will roll out in force by year's end FASTER PACED then Sandy Bridge CPUs, and likely to supplant them at the same rate

Rebel
  • Rebel

Woop Woop!

• Members
  • Olympics

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:23 PM

QUOTE (leik oh em jeez! @ Wednesday, Feb 29 2012, 23:35)

Thanks, yeah the stock fan came with the paste already applied.

Okay, so I've put all my shizz in the tower and connected it all up to the best of my ability. It turns on and all the fans move and shizz.

Problem is, whenever I turn the PC on, it tells me to reboot and select a proper boot device or insert boot media.

I have a 1TB HDD connected using uh, one of these, http://www.cooldrive...e-connector.jpg

and then I'm using the little uh grey/red cable - I own the grey cable but I've also got a red one and they look exactly the same.

So i want to know where ive f*cked up. I have the exact same set up for both the DVD and the HDD. Just different cables connecting each, obviously.

leik oh em jeez!
  • leik oh em jeez!

• Members

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:39 PM

QUOTE (Rebel @ Thursday, Mar 1 2012, 09:23)
QUOTE (leik oh em jeez! @ Wednesday, Feb 29 2012, 23:35)

Thanks, yeah the stock fan came with the paste already applied.

Okay, so I've put all my shizz in the tower and connected it all up to the best of my ability. It turns on and all the fans move and shizz.

Problem is, whenever I turn the PC on, it tells me to reboot and select a proper boot device or insert boot media.

I have a 1TB HDD connected using uh, one of these, http://www.cooldrive...e-connector.jpg

and then I'm using the little uh grey/red cable - I own the grey cable but I've also got a red one and they look exactly the same.

So i want to know where ive f*cked up. I have the exact same set up for both the DVD and the HDD. Just different cables connecting each, obviously.

You'll want to go into the BIOS and set your CD/DVD drive as the first boot device, and your hard drive as the second boot device. If it's not done automatically, you may have to use an option along the lines of "Detect hard drives" before you can select the boot order. If this is a new system with a new hard drive, you'll of course have to install Windows onto the drive before you can boot from it.

I haven't been following your build so you'll have to fill me in on what's new/reused, etc.

If an old Windows install is on the drive, it means the drive probably isn't set as a boot device right now. Keep in mind that when reusing Windows installs, you may have to repair some of the boot files, possibly even startup repair or reinstall if you're switching between AMD and Intel.

Rebel
  • Rebel

Woop Woop!

• Members
  • Olympics

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:53 PM

Brand new HDD and brand new DVD drive. I haven't installed a second HDD yet. I can't get into the BIOS, that's a problem. Whenever I try and press DEL to get into boot mode (MSI MoBo, AMD CPU) so whenever I click the button it just repeats over and over the problem about the boot device.

I've tried just booting up the HDD with no DVD drive plugged in but it still doesn't like it, and vice versa. Have I forgot to plug something in, or have I done something wrong? I've only got 2 items both plugged into both DVD drive and HDD. And both have one PSU connector, and then the second is the plug going into the SATA plugs in the Mobo.

I've tried just sticking in the Windows CD, but it just stays on the screen ''booting in quiet mode'' for ages.

leik oh em jeez!
  • leik oh em jeez!

• Members

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:00 PM

Try reseating the RAM, and trying a spare keyboard if you don't seem to have any control via keyboard.

Assuming don't have a small LCD for error codes, install a system speaker if the board came with one. Beep codes can be a considerable help when troubleshooting boot issues.

Rebel
  • Rebel

Woop Woop!

• Members
  • Olympics

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:03 PM

Keyboard works fine, since it responds to the buttons, just gives me the same line over and over when I try and get into the BIOS. I got one of those speaker things, I've just no idea where to plug it in. And to be quite honest, MSI's help book for its Mobo is f*cking crap, It doesn't tell me a damn thing I want to know. And looking on the mobo itself for some kind of indication doesn't help either lol.

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:41 PM

@Rebel
I think would be best in the Random Questions or create a topic asking for help.
This topic is more of general information sharing and discussion.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:37 PM Edited by Slamman, 01 March 2012 - 09:10 PM.

Just to speak my mind on Ivy Bridge, I do plan to get a system using one of their chips, not sure which, but as some know, Intel's i7 did away with internal graphics, as I was told by a MC rep, consumers paying premiums were expected to buy a video card, however, Ivy Bridge is another die-shrink that actually allows for much improved graphics residing on the chip's surface, while the CPU end will be on par with existing chips, the thing I hope to see is some GTA testing with the new chips, as well as seeing if iCE or other mods might run on IvyB. The question I'm not too sure on is if the i7s include CPU and GPU, it sounded like all chips will feature the same basic attributes, but differ in power and core arrangements.

@Rebel, take my advice any way you want, but I own MSI and a newer gen 45nm CPU board, using it in fact, no problems, I get the MSI graphic splash screen and POST, normal. I'd pull your CMOS battery and let it sit for a few minutes, could reset any anomalies. Also, the cable you link to shows 4 color coded wires, normal SATA is a power and data cable where everything is one flat, flexible cable, no need for messy wires hanging loose. If you use SATA or newer non-IDE interface for a fresh boot, the system should be able to see that, and USB for booting, otherwise it's always looking for a HDD system OS that's simply missing
This was the case for my Acer PW locked 4710, and it needed a pre-Win install SATA compatible driver, proving a problem for most Acer owners who needed a fresh XP boot format

Stinky12
  • Stinky12

No title

• Members

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:44 PM

Nvidia GK104 pics

PCB diagram of GK104
user posted image

PCB of GK104, depending on the type of cooling used, some will use the stack up power connector like you see in this pic
user posted image

Close up of that stack up power connector
user posted image

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 03 March 2012 - 02:33 AM Edited by Slamman, 03 March 2012 - 02:35 AM.

I've been scrounging up pics of various GPUs, since all too often they're covered with the cooling hardware, one source showed the pin arrangements on their backside, they don't look like your normal CPUs!

user posted image

manofpeace
  • manofpeace

Stay Gold

• Members

Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:19 AM

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814150563

Thinking of buying that as an upgrade from my 5770. Since I have modded my Skyrim into Oblivion (no pun intended), I use some extremely large textures on things and it causes lots of pauses and hangs when moving around the landscape; the extra VRAM will definitely help. Not to mention the higher clock speed and all...

http://www.hwcompare...radeon-hd-6870/

And that's just with the 1GB model of 6870 being compared. Count me impressed for the price.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users