3,143 replies to this topic
Ai家Cob家
  • Ai家Cob家

Ban Roulette Winner 2017!

• Members
  • Antarctica
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2017

Posted 03 August 2017 - 03:01 PM

Stupid question i'm ashamed to call myself a "Gamer" but what exactly do all the side buttons do?

Are they marcos?

My mouse has 6 buttons but the only one i use is the Forward/Back button for browsers because i honestly don't know what the other bututons do

Dealux
  • Dealux

Goddess Of Light

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 03 August 2017 - 06:53 PM

Does your mouse come with a program that can customize its features?

I have a cheap(ish) Redragon mouse that has 12 side buttons that are apparently useful for MOBA games which I ironically never play but they are also useful in shooter games (to switch weapons). But I can also assign them to any key that I want with the software they provide for it.

Ai家Cob家
  • Ai家Cob家

Ban Roulette Winner 2017!

• Members
  • Antarctica
  • Ban Roulette Winner 2017

Posted 03 August 2017 - 10:20 PM

Nope, and when looking i don't see any software for it either,

It was a cheap $15 rechargeable "gaming" mouse i'm not really focus on mice because i usually play GPAD so i'm not in much need of a gaming mouse

Andreaz1
  • Andreaz1

♪ ♫

• Members
  • Sweden
  • Helpfulness Award
    Draw Contest Winner 2016

Posted 13 August 2017 - 03:52 PM

@ΣΓ: What voltage do you run your 4790K at?

Dealux
  • Dealux

Goddess Of Light

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 15 August 2017 - 05:10 PM Edited by ΣΓ, 15 August 2017 - 05:14 PM.

Everything is on stock. So voltage is somewhere in the 1.2V range (or slightly higher but under 1.3). I initially planned to overclock it on my board because it appears to support limited overclocking. However, I have not been successful in doing that. I mostly just wanted to lock the turbo ratio on all 4 cores but messing with the uncore clock ratio locks my system and setting each core to 44 manually actually underclocks the cores (to under 2 point something GHz). So yeah, it's stuck on stock settings but it does run at 4.4 GHz most of the time except when it hits max usage where it drops to 4\3.9 GHz.

Speaking of CPUs, anyone try the Prime95 benchmark on their CPUs and fry anything yet. I swear I was 2 degrees away from Tjmax on all cores at one point and the cooler I have is actually pretty decent (40 degrees or under at idle) even though it's a bit noisy.

Edit: Actually the voltage drops to 1.13V when it hits max usage. I have some basic voltage controls in my BIOS settings but those didn't help much either. I wish I had known what overclocking offered. I was initially offered a Skylake build but for some reason this one seemed more appealing.

Andreaz1
  • Andreaz1

♪ ♫

• Members
  • Sweden
  • Helpfulness Award
    Draw Contest Winner 2016

Posted 15 August 2017 - 07:46 PM

Everything is on stock. So voltage is somewhere in the 1.2V range (or slightly higher but under 1.3). I initially planned to overclock it on my board because it appears to support limited overclocking. However, I have not been successful in doing that. I mostly just wanted to lock the turbo ratio on all 4 cores but messing with the uncore clock ratio locks my system and setting each core to 44 manually actually underclocks the cores (to under 2 point something GHz). So yeah, it's stuck on stock settings but it does run at 4.4 GHz most of the time except when it hits max usage where it drops to 4\3.9 GHz.

Speaking of CPUs, anyone try the Prime95 benchmark on their CPUs and fry anything yet. I swear I was 2 degrees away from Tjmax on all cores at one point and the cooler I have is actually pretty decent (40 degrees or under at idle) even though it's a bit noisy.

Edit: Actually the voltage drops to 1.13V when it hits max usage. I have some basic voltage controls in my BIOS settings but those didn't help much either. I wish I had known what overclocking offered. I was initially offered a Skylake build but for some reason this one seemed more appealing.

So it's not actually overclocked to 4.4GHz? I've been messing with clocking my 4790K but decided on a balance of performance and thermals as my 212 EVO can't handle the heat that well and I was interested in comparing the results.

What cooler are you using? It sounds like the CPU is just throttling if the multiplier and voltage drop under max load. Idle temps are hardly relevant at all and also, don't use Prime95 to stress test unless you know what you're doing and what version you are using. It could potentially damage things because it stresses the CPU too hard.

Dealux
  • Dealux

Goddess Of Light

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 15 August 2017 - 08:18 PM

I got a Zalman cooler to fit in my case and not obstruct RAM slots. With the CPUZ stress test it pretty much stays below 70, maybe it gets up to 70 something if you leave it on for longer but it never reaches 80. So I really doubt thermal throttling is to blame here. It's just that motherboards with certain chipsets don't turbo all that well or support overclocking. Turbo only works on all cores at all times if you have the more expensive chipset.

It's not overclocked to 4.4 GHz but it does go up to 44 on the multiplier in normal situations. 100% usage in the stress test drops the multiplier to 41. Prime95 drops it to 39-40 but I think I got 1-2 degrees close to Tjmax and I stopped the test before my PC shut down lol. I didn't know it was possible to kill your CPU with software.

Andreaz1
  • Andreaz1

♪ ♫

• Members
  • Sweden
  • Helpfulness Award
    Draw Contest Winner 2016

Posted 15 August 2017 - 08:27 PM

I got a Zalman cooler to fit in my case and not obstruct RAM slots. With the CPUZ stress test it pretty much stays below 70, maybe it gets up to 70 something if you leave it on for longer but it never reaches 80. So I really doubt thermal throttling is to blame here. It's just that motherboards with certain chipsets don't turbo all that well or support overclocking. Turbo only works on all cores at all times if you have the more expensive chipset.

It's not overclocked to 4.4 GHz but it does go up to 44 on the multiplier in normal situations. 100% usage in the stress test drops the multiplier to 41. Prime95 drops it to 39-40 but I think I got 1-2 degrees close to Tjmax and I stopped the test before my PC shut down lol. I didn't know it was possible to kill your CPU with software.

Throttling is obviously not the issue if the CPU only reaches 80C with the CPU-Z stress test, but it might well be if both the voltage and multiplier drops when using Prime95. Impossible to say without knowing which cooler you have, Zalman makes many.

Your CPU sounds to be doing its normal turbo thing. 44 is the max single or mayeb dual core multiplier under normal conditions, on all cores it's 42. Maybe 41 if your cooler can't cope and if so it only makes sense that Prime95 makes it go even lower.

Use ASUS RealBench, Intel Burn Test or AIDA64 instead. Prime95 is only good if you know about its flaws and can avoid them. I'm not sure I'd go as far as "kill your CPU" but definitely "affect its lifespan in a negative way".

TheMcSame
  • TheMcSame

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 15 August 2017 - 09:28 PM Edited by TheMcSame, 15 August 2017 - 09:31 PM.

This is perfectly normal for Prime95, it's one of the hardest hitting CPU 'stress' (more like torture) tests out there. It's specially designed to use functions that hit the CPU very hard.

The occasional run ain't bad, but it's not something you'd want to run often. I also seem to remember one of the big stress tests having a bit of an issue with Haswell chips as well, something to do with bumping the voltage up irrc, but I'm not sure if it was Prime95 or Aida. Whether that's still an issue now is beyond me, but it may be something worth keeping in mind.

But yeah... P95 is massively unrealistic and shouldn't really be run often. It's good for seeing if a CPU is bad or if an OC is unstable, but it's not something I'd run for fun, and certainly not something I'd run without having one of the best coolers on the market (or a custom loop) cooling my CPU, treat it as a diagnostics tool rather than a stress test.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Jo N鄢yvi Pohjan Portit

• European-Union
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 15 August 2017 - 09:54 PM

P95 should be used for stress testing and stress testing alone. I'd never, ever use it as a benchmarking tool.

Intel BurnTest FTW.
  • HaRdSTyLe_83 likes this

Acid Burn
  • Acid Burn

pool on the roof

• The Yardies
  • Unknown
  • Super Special Gold Star 2006
    Draw Contest Booby Prize 2016
    Campaign Poster Booby Prize 2016
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016
    14K Doggo/Catto-Chop Winner 2017

Posted 16 August 2017 - 09:54 AM

yeah P95 had (or still has) issues with newer chips, iirc it was to do with it not supporting newer instruction sets which caused voltage spikes which might be alright (but still not recommended) at stock volts but if you're OC'ing oh boy. That being said I've used a bunch of sh*t like Prime95, AIDA, RealBench, IBT etc to test OC stability and the most reliable by far is IBT.

Dealux
  • Dealux

Goddess Of Light

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 16 August 2017 - 05:13 PM

I misspoke. I meant to say stress test but realistically there is no real use for Prime95. No rendering task or software will utilize your CPU that way.

Throttling is obviously not the issue if the CPU only reaches 80C with the CPU-Z stress test, but it might well be if both the voltage and multiplier drops when using Prime95. Impossible to say without knowing which cooler you have, Zalman makes many.

Your CPU sounds to be doing its normal turbo thing. 44 is the max single or mayeb dual core multiplier under normal conditions, on all cores it's 42. Maybe 41 if your cooler can't cope and if so it only makes sense that Prime95 makes it go even lower.

It's a Zalman CNPS9800 MAX. I would have gladly spent more money on a more decent one but most of them looked too bulky and would have likely blocked my RAM slots.

I really doubt it's the cooler. I can keep it in the 70s at max usage and the multiplier drops to 41. It's likely a mobo\chipset thing. Older generations had sh*ttier chipsets (the ones that didn't support overclocking). It turbos to 4.4 when under 100% usage. In fact it does that better than my old i5 which was less power hungry (and therefore less hot under load).

Andreaz1
  • Andreaz1

♪ ♫

• Members
  • Sweden
  • Helpfulness Award
    Draw Contest Winner 2016

Posted 16 August 2017 - 06:06 PM

Vcore Adaptive Mode is such a giant pain in the ass. Has anyone ever made it work properly?

Dealux
  • Dealux

Goddess Of Light

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 24 August 2017 - 10:18 AM

Got my AKG K-612 Pro pair of headphones today. I'm not sure how these qualify as studio headphones. Either my current DAC & AMP (Fiio E10K) is sh*t, which I kinda doubt since the impedance rating is higher than that of the headphones, or these are really sh*tty headphones. Don't get me wrong, the mids and highs are very clear and show an impressive level of detail but the lows are f*cking garbage. You can barely hear the kick drums let alone the other bass elements. What the f*ck was I thinking when I decided to buy $150 "reference" headphones. I might invest in a better sound interface or maybe I'll return the headphones. I don't know. All I know is that I'm disappointed.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Jo N鄢yvi Pohjan Portit

• European-Union

Posted 24 August 2017 - 03:49 PM

That's not very surprising. Reference headphones sound quite different to non-reference ones, so if you're used to non-reference types they can sounds pretty off. Didn't you have a similar issue with K550s which are also reference? Have you tried adjusting the balance on the output device?

Andreaz1
  • Andreaz1

♪ ♫

• Members
  • Sweden
  • Helpfulness Award
    Draw Contest Winner 2016

Posted 24 August 2017 - 04:05 PM

It was me who had the K550's. I learned that reference is not my preference when it comes to audio quality.
  • sivispacem likes this

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Jo N鄢yvi Pohjan Portit

• European-Union

Posted 24 August 2017 - 04:09 PM

Rights that was it. Yeah it's either something you like, or you don't. ΣΓ, you still using your Sony's? I've found mine much more bass heavy than my K550s.

Andreaz1
  • Andreaz1

♪ ♫

• Members
  • Sweden
  • Helpfulness Award
    Draw Contest Winner 2016

Posted 24 August 2017 - 04:35 PM

I actually settled for some Sonys as well. I really like the extra bass.

Dealux
  • Dealux

Goddess Of Light

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 24 August 2017 - 07:46 PM Edited by ΣΓ, 24 August 2017 - 09:20 PM.

That's not very surprising. Reference headphones sound quite different to non-reference ones, so if you're used to non-reference types they can sounds pretty off. Didn't you have a similar issue with K550s which are also reference? Have you tried adjusting the balance on the output device?

I can imagine what reference headphones are supposed to sound like. The K-612s sound great in the mids and highs but the low end is missing. There is absolutely no way that anyone could mix with these because you'd be working in the dark if you can't hear the bass properly.

I use them with the Fiio E10K and I can only get them to a comfortable listening level by maxing out the volume. The high gain mode makes them sound like utter sh*t. Bass mode makes the bass sound more natural and present but it's far from ideal since it's still not detailed enough due to some distortion.

The in-ear Sony's sound more balanced actually. They are quite balanced once you connect them to a good DAC&AMP but the AKGs have more detail (about twice as much) for everything other than bass. This is likely due to the high impedance which means that a more powerful amp could drastically improve the sound. I will probably return these and get the K-712 Pros which have half the impedance.

What music do you listen to? I can't imagine the cheaper AKGs sounding good no matter what genre of music you listen to which makes them terrible for mixing.

I actually settled for some Sonys as well. I really like the extra bass.

Extra bass comes at the cost of detail. You can get reference headphones that are low impedance and can be driven by a portable DAC&AMP but you'd probably be spending in excess of $200 on a decent pair.

Edit: I wish I had seen this review before hitting the purchase button. His points about the sound are on point. For me the sound is stuck between almost good enough for mixing on songs that are very well produced (typically house-ish stuff, but that's largely because the bass elements are typically exaggerated and these headphones tone them down) and crappy radio speakers. I listened to a whole bunch of genres of music and none of them sound good enough. Heavy metal is the worst of all (one reviewer made the joke that he was surprised to find that all of his rock songs were missing the drums lol). I would not recommend these to anyone. They don't even pass off as hi-fi headphones. Not really. Not without a proper bass response. You couldn't mix with these for sh*t. A more powerful amp might improve the sound somewhat but even with the high-gain mode on mine it still doesn't hit the required volume for bass (not to mention that the sound goes to sh*t overall due to distortion). I'll probably get the K-712 Pros or watch this guy's reviews to see which headphones don't require a nuclear reactor to amplify them. AKGs are particularly bad in this regard apparently.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Jo N鄢yvi Pohjan Portit

• European-Union

Posted 25 August 2017 - 09:59 AM

I can imagine what reference headphones are supposed to sound like. The K-612s sound great in the mids and highs but the low end is missing. There is absolutely no way that anyone could mix with these because you'd be working in the dark if you can't hear the bass properly.

Open back high impedence studio references types are typically supposed to be driven from desktop amplifiers- in a studio setting there's not really much demand for portability. It's also worth noting that just because an output source has the theoretical power to drive headphones doesn't mean they will do so well. A headphone amp "designed" for 10-150 ohm cans usually starts running out of puff around half of that.

I use them with the Fiio E10K and I can only get them to a comfortable listening level by maxing out the volume.

That's usually a symptom of the amp not having the grunt to effectively drive them. I've had similar experiences trying to run my AKGs and Sennheisers from portable sources without an external amplifier. The E10K is really designed for headphones in the 16-150 ohm range so 120 nominal from the 612s is right at the top end of what they can drive, let alone drive well. I expect your experience might be different driving from a dedicated desktop headphone amp. And I don't mean a USB type one either but a proper externally powered one- my USB Audioengine D1 headphone amp is designed for 10-300 Ohm and makes a pretty decent hash of 150+ Ohm cans, but pales in comparison to driving them from my dad's ridiculous Burson Soloist. Then again, he's spent much of his retirement building a borderline absurd hi-fi setup.

The in-ear Sony's sound more balanced actually.

They're better matched to the E10K. In fact the E10K is ridiculously overkill for driving them.

I'd suggest trying either a bigger amp or lower impedance reference headphones. K550 IIs are 36 ohm and even the ridiculous K712 Pros are 62. Albeit at twice the cost of 612s, probably cheaper than buying a headphone amp with a 300 ohm range.

What music do you listen to?

Pretty much everything, from heavy metal and punk to classical, jazz, D&B/breakcore/techno, the odd bit of hip-hop (typically stuff at the noisier and denser end of the spectrum like Dälek or Anti-Pop Consortium), ambient, film scores...

I can't imagine the cheaper AKGs sounding good no matter what genre of music you listen to which makes them terrible for mixing.

Which headphones are you referring to here? Most of the £100-300 price range AKG stuff is amongst the best you can buy in that price bracket. Everything I've tried, from the Y50s through my everyday K550s up to the 712Pros has been consistently excellent.

Are you particularly looking for open backs? If so, the have a look at the Grado range. If you aren't fussed and can't push the budget, try Samson Z45 or Z55s.
  • Dealux likes this

Dealux
  • Dealux

Goddess Of Light

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 25 August 2017 - 11:17 AM

Buying a better amp would be costly though I will eventually get a professional sound interface to use with studio monitors but most of the not so expensive ones ($400 would be my limit) don't come with particularly powerful amps. So a lower impedance headphone would be better.

I was thinking about getting the K-712s. The guy in the review I posted was praising those or a closed pair of Shures ($150 something) which were similarly praised but open backs apparently have better soundstage.

I kinda want a pair that works now since I'm working on a remix with vocals of a singer that I like (she was gracious enough to send them to me) and the idea of finally working on a song is exciting. It is half the reason why I bought my current PC and I have yet to finish a song.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Jo N鄢yvi Pohjan Portit

• European-Union

Posted 25 August 2017 - 11:40 AM

I'd bite the bullet and get the K712s. They're a bit more but can be had well under £200.

Dealux
  • Dealux

Goddess Of Light

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 25 August 2017 - 03:41 PM Edited by ΣΓ, 29 August 2017 - 01:53 PM.

Cheapest I could find were exactly that (shipping not included). Or perhaps I could get them on Amazon (haven't looked yet).

This DAC & amp is crazy value for the money (and it has ADAT-S/PDIF).

Andreaz1
  • Andreaz1

♪ ♫

• Members
  • Sweden
  • Helpfulness Award
    Draw Contest Winner 2016

Posted 30 August 2017 - 06:08 PM

Got my new cooler installed. The 212 EVO was a b*tch to get out whereas the NH-U14S went in without as much as a hiccup. All other CPU cooler manufacturers, take note.

Dealux
  • Dealux

Goddess Of Light

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 31 August 2017 - 04:52 AM Edited by ΣΓ, 15 September 2017 - 09:02 PM.

Yeah. Nearly f*cking snapped my mobo in half when I installed mine. It wouldn't line up properly with the holes for the screws.

Dealux
  • Dealux

Goddess Of Light

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 15 September 2017 - 09:03 PM Edited by ΣΓ, 15 September 2017 - 09:04 PM.

Just sold my 980 Ti. I'm 90% sure I will get this next month (my PC feels empty without a GPU, and my birthday is coming up after all):

Found one for $750, brought over here from the US. It will probably not get sold since most people can't afford one here lol.
  • Audi likes this

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Jo N鄢yvi Pohjan Portit

• European-Union

Posted 15 September 2017 - 09:15 PM

Do it. Zotac stuff is great. 5 year warranties, UK RMA center and one of very few card manufacturers to overclock both cores and RAM out of the box.

Dealux
  • Dealux

Goddess Of Light

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 15 September 2017 - 10:39 PM

Hmmm. I've seen a bunch of reviews where people complain that the card is broken (e.g. delivers poor performance or crashes driver). The review I posted also points out that certain parts of the card run too hot and there is no adequate heat dissipation. I won't get any warranty if I buy a cheaper card (basically at US price) so I think I'll just get the Gygabyte Aorus version, which seems to be one of the best in terms of overall features (and it's the same price). It's a safer choice.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Jo N鄢yvi Pohjan Portit

• European-Union

Posted 16 September 2017 - 08:06 AM

The RAM chips running hot seems to be an occasional issue. Most of the reviews of the Extreme are glowing.

SilverRST
  • SilverRST

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 September 2017 - 10:05 PM Edited by SilverRST, 16 September 2017 - 10:05 PM.

Which 1080Ti would be the best if I wanna upgrade? The priority is the cooling, I find the temperatures very important.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users