» «
Photo

Sleep Paralysis

22 replies to this topic
Ya Mum
  • Ya Mum

• BUSTED!

Posted 22 November 2009 - 08:07 AM

Something weird happened to me last night. I was having what seemed to be a lucid dream and I was dreaming that I was swimming down into the depths of the ocean, going for the record of the deepest a human has ever swam. I then decided to turn around and swim back to the surface (I remember thinking to turn around, why I think it may have been a lucid dream) but as I did I awoke with a gasp and a rush of panic ran through my body. I was then lying there in bed, with my eyes open, staring at a Pink Floyd poster in my room, and I could not move a single muscle in my body. Without even thinking, I tried my best to shake my body and after 5 seconds I soon enough started to shake and proceeded to sit up in my bed, saturated in sweat.

I was quite frightened by this experience as it has never happened to me before. I've had a couple of lucid dreams, which were awesome, but never have I had sleep paralysis. So today I have began researching this phenomenon, and it seems I got the best of it. I have been reading other people's experiences of sleep paralysis which consists of them not only being stationary in the bed, wide awake, but also having troubling hallucinations. A popular one is feeling a presence of someone in the room, feeling and seeing somebody crush their chest or smother them with a pillow, or seeing shadows move in and under the beds, others have also included seeing ghosts and seeing themselves pull their heart out from the chest and throw it on the floor. This usually lasts a few seconds, sometimes a few minutes, and rarely over an hour of sleep paralysis and hallucination.

Here is a video of a lady experiencing sleep paralysis which has been going on for over an hour and a half.

So naturally, all this research and talk has brought on a phobia of sleeping within myself. What if sleep paralysis returns, but with hallucinations this time? It's quite a terrifying thought. But what I'm really interested in, and the reason for me making this topic, is to ask if there are any GTAForumers who have ever experienced this? Or perhaps, you have experienced or do experience on a regular basis, another sleeping condition. I know there are a few insomniacs around here. What are the horrible symptoms that come with it?

Sorry for the long post, I've kind of rambled on. But please contribute and let others know of your odd experiences with sleep, or lack of.

Vanilla Shake
  • Vanilla Shake

Chris Force Five

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 22 November 2009 - 08:23 AM

Wow. I've never even heard of this before. I suffer from insomnia, but this has never happened to me. The worst that's happened to me was waking up with an extremely sharp pain in my chest, which actually happens quite often. Maybe that's a side effect of my lack of sleep, or maybe something's f*cked up with me.

Seems kind of freaky. It'd be even freakier if you woke up staring at the Pink Floyd poster with that face coming out of the wall.

Ya Mum
  • Ya Mum

• BUSTED!

Posted 22 November 2009 - 08:28 AM

QUOTE (Vanilla Shake @ Nov 22 2009, 18:23)
It'd be even freakier if you woke up staring at the Pink Floyd poster with that face coming out of the wall.

Haha, definitely. I actually don't have that as a poster, though after you have reminded me I may search ebay for a copy. The poster that I was staring at during my paralysis was this.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Scuse me, while I kiss this guy.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 22 November 2009 - 09:00 AM

My mother gets sleep paralysis. She'll be taking a nap on the couch, and she'll start whining and moaning like she can't move her lips. I have to shake her out of it.

Democrab
  • Democrab

Tornado of Souls

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 22 November 2009 - 09:14 AM

I get it every now and again, it's scary as heck until you get used to it.

gtaIV_fan
  • gtaIV_fan

Thug

• Members

Posted 22 November 2009 - 09:25 AM

Yes Ive had sleep paralysis before, thankfully not as frequently as I used to and it was alwas scary because I couldnt get up from it so all I had to do was wait till I fall asleep again and wake up normally.

Fortunately Im not like the woman who last for hours mine only seem to last for 10 minutes or so However now Im able to wake my self from it it just requires a violent twitch of the whole body to get up. I would recommend you try this next time it happens it does work I think its takes practice.

happy sleeping sleepy.gif

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Boob groper

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 22 November 2009 - 09:34 AM

For some reason I think it's all psychological. You need to convince yourself that there is nothing wrong with you and you an move and you will be alright. There is always a possibility that I don't know what the hell am I talking about though.

manofpeace
  • manofpeace

Stay Gold

• Members

Posted 22 November 2009 - 09:53 AM

QUOTE (GTAvanja @ Nov 22 2009, 04:34)
For some reason I think it's all psychological. You need to convince yourself that there is nothing wrong with you and you an move and you will be alright. There is always a possibility that I don't know what the hell am I talking about though.

Your brain kinda paralyzes you while you're asleep. If you ever wake up in a different position, it's most likely because you woke up for just a couple seconds to move, then your body paralyzes you in that position.

Does it count if just my arm is paralyzed? Granted, circulation is cut off for a long time before I wake up due to me sleeping on it, but still. monocle.gif

mdtajghori
  • mdtajghori

Silent spectator

• Members

Posted 22 November 2009 - 11:18 AM

I have experienced instances where I could see snakes and insects crawling beside me for 10-15 seconds and this was when I suddenly woke up in the middle of the night.

Rebel
  • Rebel

Woop Woop!

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Olympics

Posted 22 November 2009 - 11:44 AM

Can't say I've ever had it. However I have had dreams where I couldn't move and couldn't talk and somebody was in my room. But this was a dream and I always eventually wake up. So I've kind of had it, in dream mode..

That video you posted would of actually been better if that guy wasn't constantly talking throughout. I could barely hear what the chick was mumbling.

Looks like you'll just have to go to sleep again and see if it ever happens to you. Only one way to find out.

uNi
  • uNi

Cyclop 9

• None

Posted 22 November 2009 - 02:06 PM

I had it a couple of times, it's pretty strange when it's combined with dreams and then when you wake up, for a while your mind doesn't get which parts were real.

Thunderfuckrapist
  • Thunderfuckrapist

Turdler Durpden

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 22 November 2009 - 02:22 PM

Ive had sleep paralysis. it sucks.

AmericanPsycho2930
  • AmericanPsycho2930

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 November 2009 - 02:58 PM

i think you get it when your really tired. i had it a few times before.

Ad Rem
  • Ad Rem

Trick

• The Precinct

Posted 22 November 2009 - 04:37 PM Edited by Ad Rem, 22 November 2009 - 04:40 PM.

A popular one is feeling a presence of someone in the room, feeling and seeing somebody crush their chest or smother them with a pillow

I experienced that once years ago, a dark figure suddenly appeared next to my bed and punched or stabbed my chest. It only lasted a few seconds, I woke up and I was left wondering what the hell just happened. It wasn't the nicest experience I've had.

pcguytech
  • pcguytech

• Members

Posted 22 November 2009 - 06:09 PM

Then I must be a few of the lucky ones. Because when I fall asleep I'm out for the count, next thing I know is that it's time to get up. I'm a heavy sleeper and never have any strange things happen while I'm asleep. I can't even remember the last time I dream of anything? Shifty41s_beerhatsmilie2.gif

Anyways this sums it up prety much for me:
QUOTE (Uncle Lewis-(Christmas Vacation-Movie)
You couldn't hear a dump truck driving through a nitroglycerin plant.

lol.gif

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Sax & Violins

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 22 November 2009 - 06:38 PM

QUOTE (GTAvanja @ Nov 22 2009, 10:34)

Speaking from experience, it's not that simple. I read somewhere that your body is in sleep mode but your brain is over-active or not fully asleep but your body is and that's what it's like. Sorry, thats a bad if not obvious explanation.

I used to get it a lot as a child and in my teens but not so much anymore. I used to have dreams/nightmares that took place in my room. I'd be lying on my back and my head could roll about and but it felt like I could not get up. After a while I would but if I relaxed and drifted off - I'd be in the thick of it again.

Last time it happened was about 3 or 4 years ago and it wasn't so scary as I knew what was happening. It can be the f*cking most scariest and f*cked up things to ever happen.

Moonshield
  • Moonshield

amplifier worship

• Mongolia

Posted 22 November 2009 - 11:28 PM

QUOTE (AmericanPsycho2930 @ Nov 22 2009, 09:58)
i think you get it when your really tired. i had it a few times before.

Yeah, it's like you're sleeping or something. whatsthat.gif

JayM
  • JayM

Mighty Ink

• Members

Posted 22 November 2009 - 11:45 PM

This sounds pretty messed up. I watched a documentry once about ghosts and a woman said most nights she'd wake up and see a woman standing at the end of her bed, who'd then crawl over her and crush her chest as she lay paralysed. That sounds like sleep paralysis though. The worst sleep experiences I've had are waking up thinking there's insects on my bed, then trying to run out of the room.

The-end
  • The-end

It's time to go home

• Members

Posted 22 November 2009 - 11:55 PM Edited by The-end, 22 November 2009 - 11:58 PM.

I've had it alot, when researching about it the sources i read said something along the lines that you could experience it up to a few times in your lifetime and i've already had it like 30 times and i'm only 17.

My worst experience was i woke up, paralysed and i tried to not panick but after 20 or so seconds of not moving i was trying to force my self to move and then i heard all of my ribs cracking and felt as though the tore out of my chest. Then i stopped been paralysed and realised that my ribs were fine. This was after, i embarrassingly screamed out loud as i thought all my ribs were broken.

Pretty frightening stuff, haha.

QUICK EDIT:
As far as i know, during the heavy state of sleep your brain paralizses your muscles to stop you acting out your actions in your dreams, and upon awakening your brain does not give you control of your body again.

Qumulys
  • Qumulys

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 23 November 2009 - 12:02 AM Edited by Qumulys, 23 November 2009 - 12:14 AM.

Its horrible. I get it probably once a week, sometimes it lasts for 10 seconds, other times I've gone 10 minutes of being fully awake, frozen. I'm already in a wheerchair due to having a tumor inside my spinal cord, and constantly have to live in fear of the day when I become a complete quadraplegic. So when I wake like this, its like a doomsday clock for me. Something I'm not looking forward too. My cyst is compressing the nerves, which makes signals hard to travel through the spinal cord, hence why I suffer from this quite a bit.

Also, I'll add, I used to be on insane amounts of morphine for my condition and the pain it gives me. During that time I had the most horrible nightmares, and would wake frozen in place feeling the presence of a man tearing strips of my flesh off. I'm no longer on morphine thank god, a change in meds helped the nightmare side of things.

ninja edit...

Was also going to say, what happened with you is (my theory anyhoo), you were diving and then you realised you were drowning, which seemed so real your brain said holy funk, I need air. You woke, ana your autonomous reflex to gasp for air was executed. But your body was still asleep and had not realised you were awake yet. As you fall asleep your brain sends a message down your spinal cord to shut down movement to conserve energy. You can sometimes be made aware of this just as fall asleep, you may experience whats known as a 'myoclonic jerk' which is something like your legs kicking wilding with one sharp movement, thats your brains shut down message which sometimes gets translated wrong. Those with spinal injuries suffer myoclonics jerks much more frequently than most, but its not all that unusual.

Chinatown Wars
  • Chinatown Wars

<3 Chris

• Members

Posted 23 November 2009 - 12:20 AM

QUOTE (Joe. @ Nov 22 2009, 09:14)
I get it every now and again, it's scary as heck until you get used to it.

Same here. I just get used to it...

Ya Mum
  • Ya Mum

• BUSTED!

Posted 23 November 2009 - 01:21 AM

QUOTE (Qumulys @ Nov 23 2009, 10:02)
Was also going to say, what happened with you is (my theory anyhoo), you were diving and then you realised you were drowning, which seemed so real your brain said holy funk, I need air. You woke, ana your autonomous reflex to gasp for air was executed. But your body was still asleep and had not realised you were awake yet. As you fall asleep your brain sends a message down your spinal cord to shut down movement to conserve energy. You can sometimes be made aware of this just as fall asleep, you may experience whats known as a 'myoclonic jerk' which is something like your legs kicking wilding with one sharp movement, thats your brains shut down message which sometimes gets translated wrong. Those with spinal injuries suffer myoclonics jerks much more frequently than most, but its not all that unusual.

Yeah, that kind of makes sense. Thanks.

I've read that there are lots of other factors that play a role in bringing on sleep paralysis, and I can now see why it happened to me. One is that it's more common to experience sleep paralysis if you sleep on your back, and I woke up on my back.

Another is if you wait to go to sleep until you're totally exhausted and cannot physically stay awake any longer. I always listen to my iPod before falling asleep, and that night I got in bed at 11:30 and listened to music until I fell asleep, and I was definitely as exhausted as I could be.

Another contributing factor is stress. Due to end of year exams, I have plenty of stress.

So last night, I went to bed at 10:00 and didn't listen to any music. I slept on my side, and I didn't go to bed exhausted. I woke up in the morning and the first thing I did was move a finger to check if I wasn't paralysed.

Great success. icon14.gif

Emotion98.3
  • Emotion98.3

Rawr

• Members

Posted 23 November 2009 - 02:26 AM

I've actually had this once or twice before i believe, A month or so ago i woke up with my eyes open and couldn't for the life of me move my legs or arms, it was terrifying, but after a minute or so i jolted and was able to get up, really spooked me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users