• Ryan

Ginga Ninja

• Canada
  • Best Forum Ledby 2011
    Best Forum Ledby 2010
    GTANet Contribution Award
    GTANet Helpfulness Award

Posted 22 November 2009 - 02:43 PM

Obviously as you already know, you can't swim in Vice City. I'm sure there must be a mod out there for it. Have a look at GTA Garage, and the Modding Forums.

Spuds725
  • Spuds725

Party Animal

• United-States
  • Contribution Award [GTAF]

Posted 22 November 2009 - 02:52 PM

Do you want to swim or just not die if you fall in the water??

If the 2nd, there is a mod that will respawn you on land if you fall in the water... with a PCJ if I remember correctly- it was made for stunters.... I'll give it a look.

Deluxe Modifikation
  • Deluxe Modifikation

d

• Members

Posted 19 December 2009 - 04:02 PM

maybe if you change some code in the executable gtavc.exe you can swim

Heihachi_73
  • Heihachi_73

Hey! My cab!!

• Members

Posted 21 December 2009 - 12:51 PM

Changing non-existent game code will not make Tommy able to swim; the only mods around either bounce you across the water in a strange manner or respawn you on land. The only other way you will see Tommy swimming in Vice City is with the total conversion using the San Andreas engine, if it was ever finished.

billcosby
  • billcosby

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 01 February 2010 - 12:15 AM Edited by billcosby, 01 February 2010 - 12:18 AM.

For reasons beyond my understanding... the factor of Tommy not swimming just seems to be an impossible topic to resolve. I've been Googling it for days now and coming up short with any clear indication of how such code tweaks are installed and used.

I consider Vice City to be pretty much perfect in every way EXCEPT Tommy can't swim. So resolving this would be appreciated.

And yet all over forums like these there is never any clear answer. There are sometimes links to mods that no longer exist.

Spaceeinstien's All-In-One mod for Vice City? I downloaded, installed it. (release from 2005?) I didn't see any difference with the gameplay. I reviewed the documentation supplied, looking for info on how to activate certain features. IF someone can point me in the right direction, please do so... I get the impression Spaceeinstein jumped to modding other games like San Andreas and left Vice City alone after that.

Here is a Vice City swimming video from YouTube...

I would like to know if that is from Spaceeinstien's All-In-One mod for Vice City? Of course, there are dozens of comments from the video asking for details about the mod and.... no answers. What I see in that video is FINE. As long as entering the water doesn't result in death I'm happy with that.

There are other mods that don't work. One that I found on Download.com... it presents itself as a "swimming mod for Vice City" and doesn't work. 100% of the comments that come with it mirror this sentiment. All the other Google searches I've done are dead links and crushed dreams.

I wouldn't be interested in a total conversion mod from San Andreas... I don't want any of the cars or 1986 elements changed. I prefer Vice City in the 1980s where it should be.

Can anyone verify that this is even possible? Can anyone speak from experience of having Tommy swim? And the motorcycle code won't do for me... I just loathe going for a nice cruise around Vice's islands and end up dying as I try to get back on land. It's silly. I'm glad all the GTA games from Vice on support swimming FFS.

Let's turn this thread into a shining beacon for all the Vice City players out there who want Tommy to NOT DIE in the crystal clear waters of Vice City... let's figure this out together.

Thanks in advance for your help and polite explanation of how to do this.
Best,
billcosby (In Ocean Beach with swim trunks on)

PS. To you code wizards out there, how hard would it be to have the properties of the water removed from Tommy, so that he could just walk safely along the bottom of the ocean? Would doing this result in the water craft not working properly?

Spuds725
  • Spuds725

Party Animal

• United-States

Posted 01 February 2010 - 03:28 PM

Did you try messaging the video poster??

There is no "bottom" to the ocean-- there is no collision data down there-- you can fly under there....

If you go up you just pop up out of the water.

If you go down you end up above the water.

I mentioned a mod that will respawn you on land if you fall in water-- if you are interested, let me know-- I just checked and while I never used it, I did DL it a few years ago... the page where it was hosted is gone now...

This is another Demarest Mod-- he did some great work...

Here is his description of it from his readme file for that mod.... if you are interested in it, let me know and I will host it... realize though that it is intended for stunting.. not general game play...see below...

The Nitz Kit v1 for VC by Demarest

Instructions - This is meant to assist stunters in stunting. In order to keep Tommy alive, you will never receive a wanted level, you are immune to everything, you will always have 200 health and armor, and if you end up in the water, you will be put back on land. There are also 4 programable warp points, one in each corner of the map (to start). They are each tied to a directional key. When using directional keys, you can't be pressing any others. For example, if left is the command you wish to use, you can't be pressing right, down, or up or else the mod will ignore you. To warp to a warp point, pres spritn, aim, and the direction of your choice together. To reprogram a warp point, press crouch and a direction. For example, if you press crouch and down, the old warp point for down is discarded and where you stand now is where warping to down will take you. This can be handy for those trying the same stunt over and over. Last but not least, pressing sprint and aim together while not pressing any directions will spawn 2 PCJ600s, a Cabbie, and a Packer. Taxi boost is enabled by Nitz Kit to make Taxi stunting possible. These 4 vehicles will be remembered by the game until you a) spawn a new set, b) destroy any one of them, or c) get warped back to shore after falling in the water. Note: because of the way this mod perpetually sets your immunities and maxes out your health and armor, it is NOT recommended to be use in a regular game. Doing so may lead to conflicts in original game coding. Also note: This mod will not work inside places like the mall, Vercetti Estate, or other interiors. Also, you should never set a warp point to someplace where there is something above you. If you do, warping there will instead warp you to on top of that item.

billcosby
  • billcosby

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 02 February 2010 - 12:33 AM Edited by billcosby, 02 February 2010 - 12:37 AM.

Spuds725, thanks for your response.

I would most certainly be interested in The Nitz Kit v1 for VC by Demarest. Please host it if you still have it, and thanks!

Here's one from The GTA Place ... can anyone verify if this one works? Because this might be a dud... and maybe the one I found on download.com a long time ago.
http://www.thegtapla...o-sink-mod-v1-1
It has an average of 3 stars as a rating and was downloaded over 15,000 times.

cheers,
billcosby

Kyle.
  • Kyle.

Hello everyone! Name name is Kyle.

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 02 February 2010 - 09:14 AM

In my opinion, don't even try making any mod to make Tommy swim/not sink. The game was not coded for him to swim, so he should. Besides, making those big jumps in the water would normally crash your game.

billcosby
  • billcosby

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 02 February 2010 - 09:51 AM

What about simply removing the properties associated with the water that triggers him being "wasted?"

Or does the player lose control of Tommy once he's been submerged? I've noticed standing in shallow water on the beach, if the tide comes up he's caught in the water momentarily and then as it goes down he retains his footing...

Kyle.
  • Kyle.

Hello everyone! Name name is Kyle.

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 02 February 2010 - 10:29 AM

@ billcosby: Exactly, I hate that...it's so stupid how he gets frozen there...but R* wont make a patch for it...

Spuds725
  • Spuds725

Party Animal

• United-States

Posted 02 February 2010 - 10:54 PM

QUOTE (billcosby @ Feb 1 2010, 20:33)

I would most certainly be interested in The Nitz Kit v1 for VC by Demarest. Please host it if you still have it, and thanks!

Sorry I got your hopes up... some of the files archived on web.archive.org where I downloaded that file from was corrupt-- when I went to unzip that one-- I found that was one of them....

While I have a zip file of it on my hard drive-- it is corrupt..

Nitzkit was a stunter that the mod was created for (vids on youtube)-- perhaps he has a copy of it... I believe he moved on to another stunting mod that worked better but he or someone else might have a copy of it or something similar--- try

http://www.gtastunting.net/

I don't have time to look for this right now... (on the net)....

once again... sorry...

Note: stunters frown on handling mods... but not these type

billcosby
  • billcosby

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 01 March 2010 - 02:29 AM

Ho boy.... I guess after all this research it can't be done. It's just too integrated into the core code of the game.

At least "seaways" keeps you from drowning. Driving around on the water is better than nothing!

spaceeinstein
  • spaceeinstein

巧克力

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 March 2010 - 06:57 AM

Why swim when you can walk?

NothingSpecial
  • NothingSpecial

2spooky4me

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 30 March 2010 - 03:27 AM

QUOTE (billcosby @ Feb 2 2010, 00:33)

Here's one from The GTA Place ... can anyone verify if this one works? Because this might be a dud... and maybe the one I found on download.com a long time ago.
http://www.thegtapla...o-sink-mod-v1-1
It has an average of 3 stars as a rating and was downloaded over 15,000 times.

cheers,
billcosby

no effect to my VC.still die when i jump to water.

Spuds725
  • Spuds725

Party Animal

• United-States

Posted 30 March 2010 - 11:50 AM

QUOTE (spaceeinstein @ Mar 28 2010, 02:57)

sweet.... how?

What happens if you drive a car, bike, or heli into the water??

NothingSpecial
  • NothingSpecial

2spooky4me

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 31 March 2010 - 01:26 AM

QUOTE (Spuds725 @ Mar 30 2010, 11:50)
QUOTE (spaceeinstein @ Mar 28 2010, 02:57)

sweet.... how?

Are you asking that question to me,bud?? confused.gif
If it yes,still no effects too.

I WANT A REAL SWIM MOD !!!!

NTAuthority
  • NTAuthority

member_title

• Feroci Racing
  • European-Union
  • Most Knowledgeable [Technology] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 31 March 2010 - 06:52 AM

QUOTE (Spuds725 @ Mar 30 2010, 12:50)
sweet.... how?

A script modification placing a solid object below Tommy's feet in the water, as you can see. tounge.gif

I'm wondering the same thing too... I expect the solid object to simply work. tounge.gif

spaceeinstein
  • spaceeinstein

巧克力

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 April 2010 - 12:03 AM

I hadn't make the code support driving on water since the cheat is already in the game. But it should work just the same way. I just need a much larger object to spawn beneath the vehicle.

The main problem with this code is that when the wave is high, the camera becomes uncontrollable. I managed to get the camera to set behind Tommy but it jitters a lot. Another problem is if Tommy sank beneath the object. I'm thinking of ways to get him above the object without teleporting him. If the code actually work well, just add animations into the game and you get a working swimming mod.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users