Quantcast

» «
Photo

Does uninstalling GTA IV delete savegames?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic
modCJpls
  • modCJpls

The Armageddon is near.

• Members

Posted 14 November 2009 - 03:45 AM

Hi, I recently installed patch 5 (1.0.0.4) and for some reason the game freezes when I try to go online. I want to re-install GTA, but I wanted to know if it deleted your savegames aswell. I know you can use xliveless and back your saves up, but the game is no fun without mutliplayer.

CharmingCharlie
  • CharmingCharlie

Proud PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 14 November 2009 - 03:47 AM

Like most games these days it gives you the option of leaving the save games and only uninstalling the game. When you uninstall the game it will ask you if you wish to keep your saves and whether you want to revoke the licence. If you choose to keep your save games it will just uninstall GTA 4.

modCJpls
  • modCJpls

The Armageddon is near.

• Members

Posted 14 November 2009 - 04:52 AM

Oh sweet. Thanks.

TheMirsinho
  • TheMirsinho

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:05 PM

QUOTE (CharmingCharlie @ Saturday, Nov 14 2009, 03:47)
Like most games these days it gives you the option of leaving the save games and only uninstalling the game.  When you uninstall the game it will ask you if you wish to keep your saves and whether you want to revoke the licence.  If you choose to keep your save games it will just uninstall GTA 4.

I did that on Steam... Guess what happened sad.gif
When I pressed delete local content, it said this will delete all GTA IV content from this computer. I pressed delete. Aaaand it's all gone now sad.gif ((((((
If you have Steam, don't do it this way. Make a back-up. The saved games are located at Users/YourName/Saved Games, or: Users\YourName\AppData\Local\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\savegames

radioman
  • radioman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:48 PM

The saved games are located at Users/YourName/Saved Games, or: Users\YourName\AppData\Local\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\savegames

Actually, the saves are in Documents/Rockstar Games/GTA IV/Save Games folder, as senn here in this screen shot from my PC... Just a friendly heads up. smile.gif

For the record, when you un-install, the User Files Folder in Documents(IF on Vista/7/8)(My Documents if on Windows XP), does NOT get deleted with the un-install, you have to delete that manually, so the saves are not touched this way..I have confirmed this with GTA VC AND GTA SA and once with GTA IV...So, unless YOU delete it manually, it is not a problem...Hope this helps.

Edit, Didn't notice someone bumped this from 2009...but, according to what i've got in the past from Moderators, it is ok to bump a topic as long as you stay on topic and are not spamming...so, this should be ok?

TheMirsinho
  • TheMirsinho

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:37 PM

QUOTE (radioman @ Tuesday, Jun 18 2013, 20:48)
The saved games are located at Users/YourName/Saved Games, or: Users\YourName\AppData\Local\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\savegames

Actually, the saves are in Documents/Rockstar Games/GTA IV/Save Games folder, as senn here in this screen shot from my PC... Just a friendly heads up. smile.gif

For the record, when you un-install, the User Files Folder in Documents(IF on Vista/7/8)(My Documents if on Windows XP), does NOT get deleted with the un-install, you have to delete that manually, so the saves are not touched this way..I have confirmed this with GTA VC AND GTA SA and once with GTA IV...So, unless YOU delete it manually, it is not a problem...Hope this helps.

Edit, Didn't notice someone bumped this from 2009...but, according to what i've got in the past from Moderators, it is ok to bump a topic as long as you stay on topic and are not spamming...so, this should be ok?

Not in my case... I didn't have those saved files in there. smile.gif
Are you playing gta 4 via steam or?

radioman
  • radioman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:16 PM

I have the Steam version on my desktop With Patch 7 and the Retail(DVD) version on my laptop-bought from Wal-Mart #1362 when the game came out and that has Patch 4 and both PC's have Windows 7 Home Premium and both have the save files in the User Files Folder in Documents, same folder as seen in above screen shot in last post...

TheMirsinho
  • TheMirsinho

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:07 PM

QUOTE (radioman @ Wednesday, Jun 19 2013, 19:16)

I have the Steam version on my desktop With Patch 7 and the Retail(DVD) version on my laptop-bought from Wal-Mart #1362 when the game came out and that has Patch 4 and both PC's have Windows 7 Home Premium and both have the save files in the User Files Folder in Documents, same folder as seen in above screen shot in last post...

As I said too, not in my case! They weren't there, but nevermind now, I completed the game, and will dedicate myself fully to GTAIV Episodes from Liberty City.
I just wanted to warn some people about this, so they don't end up like I did smile.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users