Photo

The Firearm Topic

2,521 replies to this topic
Versous
  • Versous

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 22 June 2012 - 06:26 PM

WTf you wanna do with a real weapon? Grow up, kids! Nice to look at, thats it!

Chunkyman
  • Chunkyman

Foot Soldier

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 22 June 2012 - 06:40 PM Edited by Chunkyman, 22 June 2012 - 06:55 PM.

QUOTE (Versous @ Friday, Jun 22 2012, 18:26)

Hunting, target practice, skeet shooting, self-defense, having a collection, competing in the Olympics, exploding watermelons, etc. dozingoff.gif

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Thou shalt not commit logical fallacies

• United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [D&D]
    Contribution Award [General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2013
    Best Debater 2012
    Best Debater 2011

Posted 22 June 2012 - 07:03 PM

QUOTE (Versous @ Friday, Jun 22 2012, 19:26)

Please f*ck off back to V, the adults are talking.

In relation to what has been said before, the M&P may be a good choice, especially if you have any intention of concealing or carrying (or using for concealed carry). Hammerless design + flat rear sight + curved edges = unlikely to snag during drawing.

Grandal.
  • Grandal.

Insert witty title here

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 22 June 2012 - 07:56 PM

I won't be doing any concealed carry, I do very little traveling and work 5 minutes from the house wink.gif .

Anyone heard anything about CDNN? Read about them online and their prices are crazy low, almost too good to be true. A guy I work with just ordered a new Beretta 92 Italian for $499. Think I will wait and see if his comes in as advertised, quite a bit cheaper than buying from Buds just don't know anything about them.

The more I read on the Springfield XD the more I like it. Really I am just looking for something to shoot at the range and sit near me holstered while I am at home. The wifes S&W .38 special revolver fits the bill perfectly...but it's hers so I need one. 9mm is plenty of stopping power and ammo is cheap. Seems like the perfect caliber for my next purchase.

I am hearing good things about the CZ 75B's. Those will probably what I read up on next. Anyone have or shot one before?

Ex Hellraiser
  • Ex Hellraiser

Legendary

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:20 PM

I am looking into possibly purchasing a handgun. Just something small. I don't quite want a pocket pistol, but something smaller than a Glock. I have found a Ruger LCP, .380 ACP for $300. Sound good? Just something to practice with, and to have just in case.

Irviding
  • Irviding

No bed crew

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:25 PM

QUOTE (fatal1ty619 @ Friday, Jun 22 2012, 17:20)
I am looking into possibly purchasing a handgun. Just something small. I don't quite want a pocket pistol, but something smaller than a Glock. I have found a Ruger LCP, .380 ACP for $300. Sound good? Just something to practice with, and to have just in case.

Not all glocks are the same size though. The standard pistol in IV that many people equate with what a glock is (or the automatic one from CoD) for example is sort of like a 17 or even a 22/23, but in reality Glock makes small ones. I have a G26 and it fits nicely in an ankle holster though I don't walk around with it. Here is a link - http://www.glock.com...ish/glock26.htm

The 27 is also a good one, though it uses .40 whereas the 26 is standard 9 millimeter.

Chunkyman
  • Chunkyman

Foot Soldier

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:38 PM

QUOTE (fatal1ty619 @ Friday, Jun 22 2012, 22:20)

I've heard good things about the LCP, although never used one myself. I would buy it, especially considering it's reasonable price.

Grandal.
  • Grandal.

Insert witty title here

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:41 PM Edited by Grandal., 23 June 2012 - 12:01 AM.

QUOTE (fatal1ty619 @ Friday, Jun 22 2012, 16:20)

The Ruger LCP is the #1 concealed carry weapon from what I read. This thing is pretty small at 9.40 oz's (with empty magazine). Here is a picture with a size comparison to the Glock 26;

user posted image

If that is the gun you want, budsgunshop has the same gun but with the lasermax laser (normally $80-$100) for $344. There is probably a good chance your local gunshop/Academy/Gander Mountain will have the same special if you checked.

Ex Hellraiser
  • Ex Hellraiser

Legendary

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 June 2012 - 03:18 AM

Yeah, the price I found was from Gander Mountain.

And by Glock, I was referring to the size of a G17/18. None of their smaller variants. Anything from Glock of similar size and caliber cost a lot more than that Ruger.

Kaj.
  • Kaj.

Shift Happens.

• The Connection

Posted 23 June 2012 - 04:12 AM

I don't have any experience with compact handguns since the shortest legally available (for all but a few) barrels must be at least 106mm. I have read good things about S&W's Bodyguard line of compact carry guns though.

Worth checking at least.

Shylock
  • Shylock

Gedachtnisse sind genau das.

• The Precinct

Posted 25 June 2012 - 03:09 AM

QUOTE (sivispacem @ Friday, Jun 22 2012, 13:03)
Hammerless design + flat rear sight + curved edges = unlikely to snag during drawing.

What? mercie_blink.gif

I think the more obvious solution would be to use a paddle holster vs. buying a gun based on some fear that having any one of those 3 traits can lead to a "snag" when drawing.

With that said, I have never had a single "snag" when drawing on any pistol I have, including the one I carry for a living. Even on the cheaper holsters.

Kaj.
  • Kaj.

Shift Happens.

• The Connection

Posted 25 June 2012 - 03:43 AM

I think siv was referring more to snagging on any loose clothing when drawing from concealment rather than snagging on the holster itself.

Unless you've done training specific to concealed carry, it's a possibility that your methods of employing your sidearm can have a hammer or (though unlikely) sight catch on your shirt if you haven't pulled it out of the way enough.

SagaciousKJB
  • SagaciousKJB

Captain tl;dr

• The Connection

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:14 AM

QUOTE (Kajun @ Sunday, Jun 24 2012, 20:43)
I think siv was referring more to snagging on any loose clothing when drawing from concealment rather than snagging on the holster itself.

Unless you've done training specific to concealed carry, it's a possibility that your methods of employing your sidearm can have a hammer or (though unlikely) sight catch on your shirt if you haven't pulled it out of the way enough.

Plus a lot of the weapons I've seen with such considerations are concealed or backup guns, so it snagging on clothing needs to be considered.

The Ruger LCP looks pretty good, I also checked out their LC9--basically a 9mm in the same fashion as the LCP, a little bigger, single-stack.

I think both are great...

Stig
  • Stig

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 25 June 2012 - 06:23 AM

Just picked up this bad boy last week:

user posted image

Bushmaster AR-15 .223. Very, very nice rifle. Actually, the nicest rifle I've ever owned to be honest. Taking it to the range this Saturday to sight her in, then, it's coyote time.
Came with two 20 round magazine and the standard 5 round magazine.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• United-Kingdom
    Best Debater 2013
    Best Debater 2012
    Best Debater 2011

Posted 25 June 2012 - 06:37 AM

That's just crying out for a 6.5 Grendel conversion.

Grandal.
  • Grandal.

Insert witty title here

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:00 AM

Nice pickup Radio, no doubt you will have a sh*t load of fun with that baby icon14.gif .

I am leaning towards a 1911 style 9mm now, I may actually be able to make my mind up on something by christmas wink.gif

Kaj.
  • Kaj.

Shift Happens.

• The Connection

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:54 AM

QUOTE (Grandal. @ Tuesday, Jun 26 2012, 20:00)
Nice pickup Radio, no doubt you will have a sh*t load of fun with that baby icon14.gif .

I am leaning towards a 1911 style 9mm now, I may actually be able to make my mind up on something by christmas wink.gif

I was going to pick up a STI Spartan V in 9mm before they went out of stock at my local gun shop. I ended up settling for my Norinco NP-29, finish isn't the best on it but it ended up being half the price.

Not likely you'll find one in the States unfortunately. confused.gif

Akavari
  • Akavari

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 June 2012 - 03:33 AM

I'm 19 and never owned a gun but I want to change that. I got a budget of about 300 dollars. Been looking at .22s in general for the practicality but I am interested by older rifles like the SKS and Mosin-Nagant. What else are some good buys?

Irviding
  • Irviding

No bed crew

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 27 June 2012 - 04:14 AM

QUOTE (akavari112 @ Tuesday, Jun 26 2012, 22:33)
I'm 19 and never owned a gun but I want to change that. I got a budget of about 300 dollars. Been looking at .22s in general for the practicality but I am interested by older rifles like the SKS and Mosin-Nagant. What else are some good buys?

Do you want to carry it, use it for home defense, just shoot it, or what? 300 dollar budget will get you some relatively average quality handguns as well as an array of rifles; if you bump that budget up another hundred or so you open yourself up to much better handguns if your goal is either carry/self defense.

Akavari
  • Akavari

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 June 2012 - 04:19 AM

QUOTE (Irviding @ Wednesday, Jun 27 2012, 04:14)
Do you want to carry it, use it for home defense, just shoot it, or what? 300 dollar budget will get you some relatively average quality handguns as well as an array of rifles; if you bump that budget up another hundred or so you open yourself up to much better handguns if your goal is either carry/self defense.

For whatever, shooting trips and hunting. I can't get a handgun because you have to be 21. Basically semi-automatic or bolt-action rifles that are reasonably cheap yet effective.

SagaciousKJB
  • SagaciousKJB

Captain tl;dr

• The Connection

Posted 27 June 2012 - 04:48 AM

QUOTE (RadioIsotope @ Sunday, Jun 24 2012, 23:23)
Just picked up this bad boy last week:

user posted image

Bushmaster AR-15 .223. Very, very nice rifle. Actually, the nicest rifle I've ever owned to be honest. Taking it to the range this Saturday to sight her in, then, it's coyote time.
Came with two 20 round magazine and the standard 5 round magazine.

Nice looking scope, 6-24x?

Kaj.
  • Kaj.

Shift Happens.

• The Connection

Posted 27 June 2012 - 04:49 AM

Any surplus rifles can be great starter rifles because of that f*cking cosmoline. You've gotta detail strip the rifles before you can use them and it gets you more involved with their operation. Plus you can pick up surplus ammo for cheap. .22LR are good too, super cheap ammo, and there's not much in the way of recoil so they're probably the least intimidating starter calibre.

For surplus I'd go for an SKS, you can find them here in Canada for less than $200, so it'd be probably closer to $150 down there. For a .22 you're almost required to get a Ruger 10/22. Basic starter rifle for relatively cheap, and there's tons of aftermarket stuff for them.

Claude4Catalina
  • Claude4Catalina

being a fag since '07

• Members

Posted 27 June 2012 - 12:55 PM

sorry to hi-jack the thread and derail the current conversation; but does anyone have any information about attachments used during the Vietnam War? any Google search results in either question pages about "was the acog uzed in Vietnam???" or Black Ops related pages.

I watched this video of 1968 Hue footage and noticed a few things, and was wondering it anyone could provide some insight? around 6.50 onwards you see a Marine with a bipod attached to his M16. I understand attachment rails didnt exist, so how did he manage this? only thing I can think of is a bipod that attaches to the bayonet lug but some clarification would be appreciated smile.gif

also, in the same video not long after the 7 minute mark, a black Marine is seen taking a prisoner, and he appears to have something attached to the underside of his handguard. it is a block of some sort, I can only presume it is a makeshift grip of some sort? again, some clarification as to what it is would be nice.

for extra credit, does anybody know of any other field-expedient weapon modifications commonly practised by troops in Vietnam?

RadioIsotope, that is one sexy looking AR! I've always liked the slick looking handguards, how are they to grip compared to standard A2 style handguards?

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• United-Kingdom
    Best Debater 2013
    Best Debater 2012
    Best Debater 2011

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:45 PM

Its hard to give definitive answers as back in the 60s and 70s there was a greater culture of armed forces personnel using self-purchased weapons and attachments, but I can categorically say that they weren't using ACOG sights as they hadn't been produced yet. That isn't to say, however, that low-magnification telescopic or other sights weren't used- they probably were- its just I doubt that they will have been military issue in many cases.

I know of a couple of specific modifications made in relation to specific weapons. One was the cannibalisation of Soviet belt drums and disintegrating links from the RPK for use with the few Stoner 63 rifles issued to SOG and SEAL teams. Another was the fitting of match-grade barrels and telescopic sights to M14 rifles to serve as impromptu designated marksman weapons.

Dragonjack
  • Dragonjack

Moving on to a new account.

• BUSTED!

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:14 PM

Everyone in this topic, own a gun... this forum is gangster. colgate.gif

Claude4Catalina
  • Claude4Catalina

being a fag since '07

• Members

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:28 PM

QUOTE (sivispacem @ Wednesday, Jun 27 2012, 13:45)
Its hard to give definitive answers as back in the 60s and 70s there was a greater culture of armed forces personnel using self-purchased weapons and attachments, but I can categorically say that they weren't using ACOG sights as they hadn't been produced yet. That isn't to say, however, that low-magnification telescopic or other sights weren't used- they probably were- its just I doubt that they will have been military issue in many cases.

I know of a couple of specific modifications made in relation to specific weapons. One was the cannibalisation of Soviet belt drums and disintegrating links from the RPK for use with the few Stoner 63 rifles issued to SOG and SEAL teams. Another was the fitting of match-grade barrels and telescopic sights to M14 rifles to serve as impromptu designated marksman weapons.

oh the ACOG thing was just an example of the new breed of "historians" using Black Ops of reference material, thus being pretty much the bulk of the results when Google'ing my questions. would you say the Colt 4x20 carry-handle mounted scope would be a viable contender as a would-be grandparent of the current ACOG sight system?

the match grade M14 fitted with telescopics would be the follow up to the M21 I guess? the bit about scavenging from foes RPK's sounds interesting, I did manage to find something similar that said SOG/SEAL armourers would use Soviet drum magazines(cant remember they were from the RPK or RPD) a a basis to create containers for a whopping 250 round belt for use with the Stoner system.

thanks sivi, informative as per usual smile.gif

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• United-Kingdom
    Best Debater 2013
    Best Debater 2012
    Best Debater 2011

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:47 PM

The M14 conversions were probably a precursor to the M21 in some cases; in others they were done by forces not equipped with the M21 (such as the marine corps) and individuals not lucky enough to get one of the 1500 or so genuine ones. I imagine there are other examples too (such as attachments for Soviet-pattern weapons used by PRU teams during Phoenix, or low-intensity reconnaissance teams who provided intelligence for Operation Igloo White and the other cross-border interdiction programmes.

Ex Hellraiser
  • Ex Hellraiser

Legendary

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:07 AM

About how much more is 9x18 Makarov ammo than ordinary 9x19?

Chunkyman
  • Chunkyman

Foot Soldier

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 28 June 2012 - 01:07 AM

QUOTE (Dragonjack @ Wednesday, Jun 27 2012, 14:14)
Everyone in this topic, own a gun... this forum is gangster. colgate.gif

I'm guessing you're in Australia, so have you ever fired a gun before?

If you haven't, that's unfortunate. I would go nuts if I wasn't allowed to have guns. suicidal.gif

Grandal.
  • Grandal.

Insert witty title here

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:52 PM

Took me long enough but I finally did all my due diligence and settled on my next gun. Ordered it today, fingers crossed I will have it early next week. Smith and Wesson Pro Series 1911 9mm with adjustable rear sight.

user posted image

Can't f*cking wait icon14.gif

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Yahoo