The Firearm Topic

2,634 replies to this topic
Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 February 2006 - 07:27 AM

QUOTE (Sumanjit @ Feb 3 2006, 22:53)
It was a Glock 20 and chambered for the 10mm Auto round. I know they're a good gun, but the whole...'gangbanger' stigma that's attatched to it has always been unnerving to me.

I'm not aware of that stigma. "Gangbangers" use the word just as they would gat, strap, piece, heater, etc. If you're going to let stigmas steer you away, then you should know that 2/3 of law enforcement in the US use Glocks. That's actually pretty scary to me.

You should never purchase a gun you haven't handled. And if all possible, shot. Gun rentals aren't too hard to find usually. Any gun shop I've been to will let you handle the firearm. I was in love with PPK/S's for the longest time. Once I handled one though, I knew it wasn't for me. Then I found the Bersa Thunder 380 which was essentially the same thing, but half the price and none of the cons of the PPK/S. Then when I handled it, I said "wrap it up". Then when I shot it... I knew I had found MY gun. Obviously, since I have 2 wink.gif

Sumanjit
  • Sumanjit

Wicked Thing

• Members

Posted 04 February 2006 - 01:27 PM

I think I'll make a trip into the armorer in the city sometime tomorrow. I'm told that they've got a wide range there. Perhaps it's just a case of I haven't found a Me Firearm yet.
I'll post an update when I get back, and thanks for the info/support. smile.gif

Snares
  • Snares

Oi!

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 05 February 2006 - 10:18 AM

I don't own any guns, and hopefully never will. But I have fired a few, on visits to Los Angeles, where my cousin co-owns a gun store. I'm not gun expert, but I believe I fired:

1943 MP40 (This was replicca they had, so I had to be careful, and they only had 5 magazines of ammo left for it)

Olympic Arms AR15 A1 Carbine, .223 (I didn't realise how loud the shots was going to be, and almost dropped the gun. I was also temporarily deafened for a few minutes.)

My neighbour keeps 2 handguns though, one of which is a 22 Magnum Stainless Automag II. The other is some new one he got from Germany.

Sumanjit
  • Sumanjit

Wicked Thing

• Members

Posted 05 February 2006 - 05:59 PM

Ok, it's official.

I'm in love with Kimber. Of all the pieces I fired at the range today, one of them stood above the rest, and that was Kimber's TLE II. It just felt so...fluid. As if it were an extension of my arm. I think that I've found MY gun. I bought it and put on a pair of Crimson Trace's on it.

*does a happy dance*

I'll post a pic tomorrow.

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 February 2006 - 05:05 AM

What year was it made? I'm told more recent Kimber's don't exactly live up to the name. But the experience you're describing is EXACTLY what I mean and I'm glad you found yours colgate.gif Reminds me of when I first saw, handled, fired, cleaned, disassembled, and reassembled mine.

Forfit
  • Forfit

nein

• Members

Posted 06 February 2006 - 05:12 AM

QUOTE (Snares @ Feb 5 2006, 10:18)
1943 MP40 (This was replicca they had, so I had to be careful, and they only had 5 magazines of ammo left for it)

That gun is in COD2 ph34r.gif

My grandfather fought in WWII and has a japanese rifle by his fireplace. He told me "The guy didn't need it anymore" lol.gif

Sillyhed2000
  • Sillyhed2000

Every time you try to small-talk me on MSN I will kill a puppy.

• Members

Posted 06 February 2006 - 10:38 AM

I fired a .22 pistol at the firing range the other day. I couldn't load the clip up with the bullets for sh*t, but once I slotted it in, pulled back the... the thing that you pull back... and fired off my eight rounds of glory, it felt cool as all hell. Hit the target too. There was this huge-ass revolver there that I wanted to try but it the prices were outrageous.

PS. First gun that I'd held, let alone fired.

Dom0803
  • Dom0803

Boss

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 06 February 2006 - 11:39 AM

Can I ask where you lot bought your firearms from? I know in the US there's gun stores everywhere.. hell, one store outside of Chinatown, NY were selling a 'buy one get one free' to two NYPD officers..

I dunno how many Brits own a gun/posted in this topic, but with NI's history actual gun shops are extremely rare and to own one you need signed documents by either the police cheif of Northern Ireland or the high judge of GB.. not easy to get. (hence my owning will probably be slightly less legal than their recommended)

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 February 2006 - 07:03 PM

Gun control has a way of doing that. I live in Oregon, OH which is a suburb of Toledo. Within city limits of Toledo, gun control has become outrageous to the point that all shops moved out of city limits. Furthermore, here in the states, laws vary from state to state and even locality to locality. For exmple, a buddy of mine lives within Toledo city limits. So in addition to federal regulations, he also needs a special permit just to own a handgun while I do not. Plus I think the provisions are different for rifles and shotguns.

As for me, both of mine were purchased at Gander Mountain, which surprisingly is a chain outdoor sporting goods/hunting store that actually has an FFL and sells handguns. Would've gone to a local specialty shop, but they refuse to carry the brand I knew I was looking for. I picked out the model I wanted and filled out a background check form. Then the guy behind the counter called whatever FBI number they call for such things. Some people are okayed on the spot. Some are denied on the spot. I was delayed 2 of the 3 times I've applied for one. That's either because A) I'm one of 3 people in my state with my name or B) as local police recently informed me, there appears to be somebody else using my SSN. But they both went through. Last one was even very next day. Then you pay the money and walk out with it.

Since I have my CHL, I was able to load the second one in the parking lot and holster it on my person before even entering my car.

Sumanjit
  • Sumanjit

Wicked Thing

• Members

Posted 07 February 2006 - 05:25 AM Edited by Sumanjit, 07 February 2006 - 05:32 AM.

I'm Bronx-born, Australian-bred.

Gun control is a bitch here.
@Demarest: The Kimber year model was '01. Quite good too.

NorthwestRastafarian
  • NorthwestRastafarian

Doughnuts are a 10-80 in your mouth.

• Members

Posted 15 February 2006 - 07:27 AM

Kimber is a great brand who don't get *nearly* enough press credit.

Good news:

I got the M4 back from the armory yesterday! Time to get some serious gun modifications going. I will post some pictures of it's new look shortly. In the mean time, I've since invested in a Mossberg 590A1 Compact Cruiserthat has been modified by East County Guns down to 16.5" overall length, 6.5" barrel length with a pistol grip to suffice for my home defense and on-duty needs while the m16 is out of commision. The kicker is, it's classified as an 'Any Other Weapon', so it was nice and easy to get with an LEO ID, but doesn't have the red tape of most class 3 restricted weapons in this state. (Here is a quick profile view of the finished product. Feel free to be jealous, civvies.)
I just recently moved into a pretty hinky little townhouse area; the homes aren't bad, but there is some black gang activity in the area, so it feels as a young black man nice to have a class three destructive shotgun around the place in case of mistaken identity, though I should be fine as long as I never wear a uniform or drive the MPU home. tounge.gif Hopefully, I can find a better apartment soon.

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 February 2006 - 09:40 PM

QUOTE (NorthwestRastafarian @ Feb 15 2006, 02:27)
Feel free to be jealous, civvies.

Law enforcement are civilians too. Those that make that mistake are the primary perpetuators of the erroneous "us vs. them" mentality wink.gif

anuj
  • anuj

iconic

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 15 February 2006 - 09:48 PM Edited by anuj, 16 February 2006 - 03:00 AM.

QUOTE (Demarest @ Feb 15 2006, 15:40)
Feel free to be jealous, civvies.

Law enforcement are civilians too. Those that make that mistake are the primary perpetuators of the erroneous "us vs. them" mentality wink.gif

Us:

-No SBR/SBSs
-in 15 states no suppressors
-no dealership discounts

Them:

-freaking 16" shotguns
-suppressors
-cars that go WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
-police discounts

Goddamnit, I can't wait until I'm 21 and can enter the Academy. I realize that makes me sound like I'm some sort of gun nut, but that is not the case. I've been wanting to join law enforcement for a heck of a long time now. The guns are just a bonus.

I'm getting my Mossberg's barrel cut down to around 18". That should bring it to about 32-33" overall. Still, that's nowhere close to that Super Shorty.

CtrlAltSupr
  • CtrlAltSupr

Got soul, but I'm not a soldier

• Members

Posted 16 February 2006 - 02:57 AM

That "no suppressors" thing applies to shooting ranges also in the states?

anuj
  • anuj

iconic

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 16 February 2006 - 02:59 AM Edited by anuj, 16 February 2006 - 03:24 AM.

QUOTE (CtrlAltSupr @ Feb 15 2006, 20:57)
That "no suppressors" thing applies to shooting ranges also in the states?

Technically, I suppose. I'm not down on the specifics, but suppressors are only a no-go in 5-6 states. The other ones are civ-legal or dealerships.

http://www.advanced-....com/owners.asp

I can't believe MO is a f*cking dealership only state. You can blow a moose to hell using dynamite, but you can't silence a .22 without a $200 tax stamp and ATF paperwork.

edit

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/that right there, is a beautiful wheelgun.

gtaguy110
  • gtaguy110

Dirty Harry

• Members

Posted 16 February 2006 - 03:08 AM Edited by gtaguy110, 16 February 2006 - 03:15 AM.

user posted image
I have a M29 6 inch. My Dad gave it to me for a gift.

Anuj Same here. Right when I get out of high school Im going to apply for the LAPD.

fuckindumass
  • fuckindumass

Pissing the night away

• Members

Posted 16 February 2006 - 04:09 AM Edited by fuckindumass, 24 February 2006 - 08:04 PM.

The kicker is, it's classified as an 'Any Other Weapon', so it was nice and easy to get with an LEO ID, but doesn't have the red tape of most class 3 restricted weapons in this state. (Here is a quick profile view of the finished product. Feel free to be jealous, civvies.)

Wow nice shotty.

NAME CHANGE LOL
  • NAME CHANGE LOL

Say pal, you don't look so good.

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 16 February 2006 - 04:30 AM

I plan on joining the military (Army or Marines), then entering the police force. College will most likely figure it's way in there at some point or another.

As for firearms, all I have is a muzzle loader that my uncle got me for my birthday. It's fun to take it up to the range every once in a while. I'm pretty crap with it, but getting better.

NorthwestRastafarian
  • NorthwestRastafarian

• Members

Posted 16 February 2006 - 05:35 AM

QUOTE (f*ckindumass @ Feb 16 2006, 04:09)
The kicker is, it's classified as an 'Any Other Weapon', so it was nice and easy to get with an LEO ID, but doesn't have the red tape of most class 3 restricted weapons in this state. (Here is a quick profile view of the finished product. Feel free to be jealous, civvies.)

Wow nice shotty. I picked a similar one up from a 9 yr old kid in the alley behind my house 'bout ten years ago. Cost, 20USD. Use, protecting my right to go to work from various wanna be's and illegals.
Hope you find that apartment rastaman, I got mine in 96 and life has been good ever since. I can't even remember what a 'homie' looks like.......

That's illegal, and I would arrest you in a heartbeat for it. 20 dollars? Disgusting and pretty unethical. I don't suppose you were at least kind enough to submit a confidential informent card to your PD on the kid?

@Demarest: I actually agree 100% with that statement, 80% of the time. The other 20% is when I am at a civilian gun range, like anuj pointed out. I have a few suppressors from my military ID days, a few grenades I sure can't use at the range but sure CAN clip to my range bag like a redneck whitey douchbag, and some very nice buying priveledges cool.gif Of course, it is all to protect you as a US Citizen and fellow civilian...

Speaking of which, it sounds like some of the police in Ohio have a terrible Us V. Them complex that needs to be remedied; here in the pacific northwest, I've yet to encounter that with my colleagues other than the whole hippy hating thing that Seattle PD is famous for, not without due cause. Some of the riot control guys are absolute pricks.

@Teos - If you want to be an LEO after the military, do not join either the army or marines. I had a hard enough time getting in with a very, very nice army pedigree. Go Air Force Security Forces, you'll get better pay, better clearences off the bat, better food, better living, and a better chance of direct hiring applicability when you 86. Bonus props if you can succeed in getting into the UN attachment.

EvilPenguin
  • EvilPenguin

Insufferable c*nt.

• Feroci

Posted 16 February 2006 - 05:46 AM

Well, I don't necessarily own a gun... but for Basic my best friend was my M16A2.

When my company had room clearing training the other weekend, we had a chance to use both the M16 and the M4 so I had a chance to compare. In our barracks, the M16 just blew ass. They were as basic as can be: the horrible iron sights, the standard sling, and unwiedly size. When we switched to the M4's life was awesome. We had assault slings so when conducting EPW or opening closets for somebody it was easy to sling the rifle and grab it back again almost immediately. The shorter size and the collapsable stock were a godsend when maneuvering in hallways and rooms. The M4's we used had the rail system on the upper reciever instead of the stock carrying handle and rear sights. Attached to mine was a quick action sight, so I was ride of those f*cking iron sights.

Twas awesome indeed.

Conclusion: M4 > M16

NorthwestRastafarian
  • NorthwestRastafarian

• Members

Posted 16 February 2006 - 08:28 AM

QUOTE (EvilPenguin @ Feb 16 2006, 05:46)
Well, I don't necessarily own a gun... but for Basic my best friend was my M16A2.

When my company had room clearing training the other weekend, we had a chance to use both the M16 and the M4 so I had a chance to compare. In our barracks, the M16 just blew ass. They were as basic as can be: the horrible iron sights, the standard sling, and unwiedly size. When we switched to the M4's life was awesome. We had assault slings so when conducting EPW or opening closets for somebody it was easy to sling the rifle and grab it back again almost immediately. The shorter size and the collapsable stock were a godsend when maneuvering in hallways and rooms. The M4's we used had the rail system on the upper reciever instead of the stock carrying handle and rear sights. Attached to mine was a quick action sight, so I was ride of those f*cking iron sights.

Twas awesome indeed.

Conclusion: M4 > M16

I always felt that way. I didn't mind the iron sights of the m16 as much as the size, though.

Dom0803
  • Dom0803

Boss

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 16 February 2006 - 11:11 AM

aww, bum.

QUOTE (http://www.gun-control-network.org/EV02.htm)
GCN proposed the adoption in Northern Ireland of the handgun ban existing in the rest of the UK

3.1  The case for the banning of handguns was widely discussed during the period following the Dunblane massacre in March 1996. The case was accepted by the government, and the two Firearms (Amendment) 1997 Acts resulted in a complete ban on the civilian ownership of handguns in Great Britain.

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 February 2006 - 05:14 PM Edited by Demarest, 16 February 2006 - 05:18 PM.

Yeah, it takes time. The antis always use sensationalism to make their points, disregarding that the antis that made those same points and lost in other locales went on to be resoundingly disproved. I was just reading an article about the war of gun banning by employers. They state that they're trying to prevent a hothead employee from opening fire, even if it means they have to go out to their car and return to do it. But that mentality doesn't account for A) Most of the time, those legally packing are law-abiding citizens with no violent history and no felonies and B) That if ANYBODY brought malicious intent into the workplace, an armed worforce would be able to make sure that the offender was put down and not innocents trying to make an honest day's wage. They often site individual examples of workplaces being shot up and when they do, they don't mention that A) the person was ILlegally owning or carrying B) that had their victims been armed, a different outcome could've ensued and C) that that's one example amongst the millions of examples where daily people are legally carrying at work without incident. And that includes during altercations with coworkers, bosses, customers, etc.

jelly
  • jelly

Posted 16 February 2006 - 05:24 PM

Silencers are actually allowed here. You don't even need a reason to own one. You can also buy a bolt-action .50 by stating that you're gonna use it for elk (moose) hunting. cry.gif

NorthwestRastafarian
  • NorthwestRastafarian

• Members

Posted 16 February 2006 - 07:13 PM

QUOTE (jllr @ Feb 16 2006, 17:24)
... you can also buy a bolt-action .50 by stating that you're gonna use it for elk (moose) hunting. cry.gif

That was their original purpose, they were around for a couple of years as big game hunting rifles before the Army and Marine Corps adopted them for sniper programs. whatsthat.gif

I personally think the whole demonization/deification of the light .50's and their kind is a bunch of antigun weanie horseshi*t. It's just another big gun.

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 February 2006 - 09:06 PM Edited by Demarest, 16 February 2006 - 09:09 PM.

QUOTE (NorthwestRastafarian @ Feb 16 2006, 00:35)
Speaking of which, it sounds like some of the police in Ohio have a terrible Us V. Them complex that needs to be remedied

Yes and no. Since I've been carrying, I've

- been let off of a guilty as hell traffic stop in record time for being 100% compliant with north TPD
- had a north TPD continue about our business (questioning me as a witness to a potential crime) as if nothing happened once he was informed
- was passed by by an OSHP that was eyeballing me for speeding
- had a female north TPD express shock at my carrying two, but go about as if nothing happened (questioning me as I was filing a report for my work). she was more interested in seeing my license as she had never seen one before rather than be concerned that I was carrying
- was ticketed with a traffic offense that did not happen (not that the officer was there to see it happen or not happen anyways) by an east TPD that seemed to have a REAL problem with my carrying two guns. his partner also tried to trip me up with ownership papers and was disgruntled when I thwarted that attempt by explaining I live in a suburb of Toledo and am therefore not required to register my guns

So one out of five isn't bad. Though I'm told that when CCW first hit the table in Ohio, OSHP was VERY taken aback that they wouldn't be the only ones with guns anymore. It was for them that the whole plain sight provision was instituted in the first place. Also, once passed, some Sheriff departments would drag their feet with the application process and/or obstruct the process outright. That was overturned, but many of those same offices had their officers going around to local businesses making them think that they HAD to post no firearms signs, barring valid license holders. There have been HUGE efforts by our citizenry to educate the general public about such things. Main oversights include that those with ill will will not stop just because a piece of paper tells them to. And when they don't those nearby are defenseless. Which essentially means those signs broadcast that that location is a soft spot for a robbery as not one person there will be capable of resisting. Last but not least, the fact that the only people legally carrying are those that have passed background checks with the FBI and NCIS. They've had formal training compliant with the Attorney General's provision and were issued a license by a Sheriff and only after proven to be free of violent history and/or felonies EVEN AS A JUVENILE. They can't possibly claim to know that much about their non-licensed customers.

To give you an example from my own life, last week I had car repairs done at a shop that was posted. I didn't know this as it was incorrectly posted INSIDE the store. I didn't notice until I had gone back to pay for and pick up my car. I had already received some of the worst customer service I've ever known, so to find that I was tricked into patronizing the place and could've avoided the place in the first place if I had known they discriminated against me, I questioned the guy in charge. When I asked why they had a sign like that, his response was "Only bad things happen when firearms are present." Having actually spent a good 2 hours in there myself, I asked him "What bad things happened today?" He didn't seem to have an answer if I asked him if he thought that a piece of paper would thwart an already illegal assault on the place. Some people...

Almost forgot about supressors. In Ohio, it's legal to have them. It requires a class III license, the usual couple hundred, and ATF papers. Usually not worth it as having a class III license means you can be raided by the ATF at any time without notice just to make sure everything's in order.

pizza guy
  • pizza guy

Power!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Members
  • England

Posted 16 February 2006 - 09:16 PM Edited by pizza guy, 16 February 2006 - 09:17 PM.

It's funny, I normally feel jealous of you guys owning <gus> wtf? *guns* and us having the ban, as y'know, they'd be good for protection. But, man, thats a harsh list there Dem.

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 February 2006 - 07:31 AM

Harsh how? That's an 80% rate of receiving preferential treatment and rightfully so. A licensed carrier is essentially a proven good guy and most law enforcement know this. In fact, both the Deputy Sheriff that issued me my license as well as the TPD Detective I'm friends with told me I should be carrying just when they found out what/where I work. In fact, when I went down to fight that bullsh*t ticket, my detective friend was down there. He walked up to me, shook my hand, and first words out of his mouth were "Congratulations on getting your license." It was the first time he saw me since it happened.

The only suffering we endure is the suffering we ALL endure: lack of education. It's like politicians freaking out saying video games are to blame for everything. Many people fear guns because of what they CAN be used for. Because they hear on the news of some store was robbed at gun point. They don't tell you about the time that the 7-11 that was POSTED was robbed at gunpoint... up until the customer that was carrying at the time put two in the back of the head. That 7-11 learned first hand what having the sign paves the way for and what NOT having the sign could provide for them. Which is why they took it down that day. Why don't you hear of that? Because the media is the engine of those in control. They'll share the stories that keep us scampering in fear because it's easier to control us then. They're aware that an armed and educated citizenry might hold them accountable. It's how the US was formed in the first place after all wink.gif

DJDJ
  • DJDJ

Freelance Assassin.

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 20 February 2006 - 12:43 PM

firstly, i don't own a firearm, and i'm english, so i am not wise to the american gun market. Secondly, this doesnt really merit it's own topic, so i though i'd post here as i feel it's apropriate.

I am wondering if any of you know of a silenced machine gun, or submachine gun, preferable about the size of an MP5 or smaller, but not a military model. Aomething a criminal could get hold of, or anyone could buy in a gunshop....
thanks in advance

NorthwestRastafarian
  • NorthwestRastafarian

• Members

Posted 20 February 2006 - 12:59 PM

QUOTE (DJDJ @ Feb 20 2006, 12:43)
I am wondering if any of you know of a silenced machine gun, or submachine gun, preferable about the size of an MP5 or smaller, but not a military model. Aomething a criminal could get hold of, or anyone could buy in a gunshop....
thanks in advance

Why?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users