Mirror's Edge 2

115 replies to this topic
ScratchCard
  • ScratchCard

Arc.

• Members

Posted 19 October 2009 - 08:18 AM

'You will see another Mirror’s Edge for sure’ says exec.'

A ‘small team’ is working on Mirror’s Edge 2, EA has confirmed.

Speaking to VideoGamer.com at E3, the outspoken Patrick Soderlund, who as senior vice president at EA Games Europe oversees all European game development, said he was “excited” by what developer DICE, where he is based, will do with the game.

Mirror’s Edge divided opinion on its release in November 2008. While fans applauded the innovative Parkour-inspired first-person action, critics slammed the game for its short length and poor storyline.

When asked for an update on the future of the IP, Soderlund told us: “Mirror’s Edge was a risky move. It was a bold move, a very innovative and inspiring move. The game wasn’t perfect by any means. We would have liked the game to sell better even though the game has sold better than most people think.”

He added: “You will see another Mirror’s Edge for sure. It’s just a matter of when that time is and what we do with it. We have a small team on it and I’m excited about what we do.”

Soderlund’s comments are the first confirmation that a sequel is in development. Up to this point the game had only been mentioned by EA as a title in consideration. During a December 2008 conference call EA CEO John Riccitiello assured fans that the company wasn’t giving up on the IP, despite less than stellar sales.

As reported by Edge, Riccitiello said: "Mirror's Edge is one that was very strongly reviewed, that one's going to go forward. We're probably going to look into some issues around the design to make sure strong IP is married with strong business."

Unfortunately Soderlund couldn't offer any other details or a possible release date on the game.

Source: http://www.videogame...r_s_edge_2.html

I know it's pretty old, but there wasn't a topic for this yet? I'll update this when more info is released.

Anyone else really looking forward to this? Shifty41s_beerhatsmilie2.gif

Supreme.
  • Supreme.

• Members

Posted 19 October 2009 - 09:42 AM

Very much so.

Man, the original was... inlove.gif

Seddo
  • Seddo

YNWA

• Zaibatsu
  • None
  • Winner of Euro 2008 Prediction League

Posted 19 October 2009 - 09:46 AM

I liked the first one and it gave us something different from the usual games, looking forward to it.

Wonder if we'll still play as Faith again...

BLlTZ
  • BLlTZ

Typical behaviour for someone with your condition.

• Members
  • None
  • Best Texture/Model 2013 "SRt3 2012 Mipmap Edition"

Posted 19 October 2009 - 09:48 AM

Yes. I'm in.

I liked how the graphic/reflection and the atmosphere on this game was. But most I was impressed of the reflection on the buildings, reminds me of how Tokyo looks like in daylight and might night on buildings.
The texture are very detailed; looking good, and the objects around the player (chair, desk, etc ) are exactly on the right scale like in the real world and on the level of human eye and monitor.

Plus Mirror's Edge is runing very good with MAX settings with no lagg on my EAH 3650 ATI. I was impressed about this too.

Gameplay was realy intresting, new to the world of games, somehow unique and original and I like playing this game.

Ptikobj
  • Ptikobj

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 October 2009 - 10:32 AM

Meh, Something else that EA will milk dry. I never really played the first, I played the demo and thought the gameplay was interesting.
I only heard bad opinions on the game, saying that gameplay was too samey, boring and linear.

Who knows, it could be good, Im interested atleast

John The Grudge
  • John The Grudge

Soldier

• Members

Posted 19 October 2009 - 11:15 AM

I love the first one. It was a nice escape. I really got a sense of being in a living, breathing city.

The Horror Is Alive
  • The Horror Is Alive

Monkey-fighting snakes on this Monday to Friday plane.

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 October 2009 - 01:35 PM

Why was the storyline dissed as being "poor" and "weak"? It was more than adequate, and provided a few good twists, not to mention leaving it open for a sequel (Callahan). I liked it, but I just don't get some people's opinions.

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 19 October 2009 - 02:06 PM

I f*cking LOVED the first one.

I know so many people hated it. Just all those people who had no patience and just gets f*cked off and slams the controller at the wall. I agree it could be annoying at times, not grabbing what you were supposed to. But I only really got this problem when trying to grab drain pipes. I dont see why anyone else would have had a bigger problem.

I recently went back and did all the speed runs, all that I have left to do on it for 1000 is 3 achievements all for the time trials mode which I didnt enjoy.

The story was not really I played much attention to, I didnt like the cartoony cutscenes, but ingame character conversations were awesome.

This game is one of the very few, including zelda: wind waker, and mario sunshine, to truely capture a f*cking gorgeous sunny day, and this definitely comes top of my list for that. There is no other place in the world I would ever want to live, than on a roof top in that city.

Best looking game I have ever seen. The colors were f*cking awesome. The ambient and action music f*cking OWNED, and for a game that didnt need to even have shooting, or have it be any good. They definately made the shooting really nice, and all the guns looked awesome, just a shame you couldnt keep them with you.

After I had been done with it after months and months, I picked it up and it instantly became one of my favorite games. f*cking hell I was inlove with that sh*t.

I even got the preorder Tshirt from game. biggrin.gif

Best looking place I have ever seen in my life, I wish it were real.

papanesta
  • papanesta

Cantankerous Chauffeur

• The Precinct

Posted 19 October 2009 - 05:09 PM

I couldn't agree with Daz more. smile.gif

The Still Alive track used for the game is beautiful. I have one of the remixes of it on a CD in my car just now. inlove.gif

I really hope it's the same team making it...

Pat
  • Pat

• The Connection

Posted 19 October 2009 - 05:55 PM

Daz said it all.

I'll pick this up as soon as it hits the shelves, no doubt.

GTA3Freak-2001
  • GTA3Freak-2001

Run out of Cake.

• Members

Posted 19 October 2009 - 11:44 PM

Yep Daz summed it up perfectly, it was just such a surreal experience and one of those gaming moments that make you glad to be a gamer. Frustrating at times but rewarding when you do overcome it. I'd welcome a sequel in a heartbeat!

rdbx1234
  • rdbx1234

Cow-tippin Crack Baby

• Members

Posted 20 October 2009 - 01:41 AM

Wonderful, now I hope they make the story a little longer this time. moto_whistle.gif

PacMaan
  • PacMaan

LIES

• Members

Posted 23 October 2009 - 02:38 PM

Was a great game but i'm glad i didn't buy it cos it was way too short, i would have felt well ripped off. I just hope the second one is a lot longer.

Supreme.
  • Supreme.

• Members

Posted 23 October 2009 - 02:45 PM Edited by Supreme., 23 October 2009 - 06:36 PM.

Yeah, would be nice if it were at least a good 50% longer.

Still, I must've played the first one close to a dozen times. Hmm... think I'll install again. inlove.gif

ScratchCard
  • ScratchCard

Arc.

• Members

Posted 08 November 2009 - 10:49 AM

Yesterday I found out that Faith can do the moonwalk while in an elevator turn.gif You need to be in the very back of the elevator, as far from the door as possible. Then look at the floor and walk from the left side of the backside to the right side of the backside while still looking at the floor.

Chinatown Wars
  • Chinatown Wars

<3 Chris

• Members

Posted 10 November 2009 - 02:51 AM

READ IT AND WEEP: http://games.ign.com.../1043658p1.html
NO MIRRORS EDGE AFTER ALL...
November 9, 2009 - In conjunction with announcing company-wide layoffs totaling 1,500 employees, publisher Electronic Arts also revealed it has canceled several unannounced projects.

During the company's financial investor call this afternoon, CEO John Riccitiello gave a bleak outlook to many "risk" titles fans were hopeful for release in the next couple years. When asked by an analyst where the reduction in work force would reflect its current crop of projects, Riccitiello responded by saying the company had decided to cut over a dozen still unannounced titles, and added the company is focusing on guaranteed hits going forward in this struggling economy.

"Electronic Arts has a core slate of games labels and sports franchises that we will iterate on an annual or bi-annual basis," he explained. "All of them are selling or have sold in their most recent edition 2 million units or more.

"After that, we've got the Sims and Hasbro, and frankly anything that doesn't measure up to looking like it can pencil out to be a very high profit contributor and high unit seller got cut from our title slate from this point going forward," he added.

"If you could array our titles slate up knowing what we did about what we would have otherwise brought to market, we cut the bottom third of it."

This probably isn't good news for fans hoping for a Mirror's Edge sequel.

Riccitiello expressed enthusiasm over the Dead Space and Spore franchises at DICE 2009 this past February, but didn't speak too kindly about Mirror's Edge, saying the game underperformed financially, but added "we can learn from that and make it better."

This is bad news for the rumored Road Rash project, as well as follow up sequels to Dead Space Extraction for Wii and SSX.

cryani.gif cryani.gif

papanesta
  • papanesta

Cantankerous Chauffeur

• The Precinct

Posted 10 November 2009 - 11:07 AM

Well... that's a very mixed statement, really... dontgetit.gif

Sauron
  • Sauron

chillin' like a mega villain

• The Precinct

Posted 10 November 2009 - 11:10 AM

QUOTE (papanesta @ Nov 10 2009, 22:07)
Well... that's a very mixed statement, really... dontgetit.gif

Indeed, he doesn't completely rule out the sequel.

Xcommunicated
  • Xcommunicated

Bunch of slack-jawed faggots around here.

• United-States

Posted 26 December 2009 - 04:28 PM

I'm playing through the first game on PC and it's far better than what I was led to believe it would be from all the reviews and mixed opinions. I swear, the graphics and colors and the whole feeling of defying gravity in this game are hauntingly similar to dreams I've had in my life. Really, this game feels like I'm playing in a dream.

In fact this is one of the few games EA (or any developer for that matter) has come out with in a long time that I can actually say is an original and refreshing change of pace. They've come up with a unique concept that has lots of potential for growth, so it'll be a shame if this franchise is dead in the water.

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 27 December 2009 - 05:18 PM

QUOTE (Xcommunicated @ Dec 26 2009, 16:28)
I'm playing through the first game on PC and it's far better than what I was led to believe it would be from all the reviews and mixed opinions. I swear, the graphics and colors and the whole feeling of defying gravity in this game are hauntingly similar to dreams I've had in my life. Really, this game feels like I'm playing in a dream.

In fact this is one of the few games EA (or any developer for that matter) has come out with in a long time that I can actually say is an original and refreshing change of pace. They've come up with a unique concept that has lots of potential for growth, so it'll be a shame if this franchise is dead in the water.

I totally agree with you there. I also have had many dreams like this. I wouldnt be able to recommend it to other people to play, mainly because I feel as if why I like it is very unique to me, and by certain emotions and memories it provokes. Though it did seem to strike alot of people in a good way.

If they were actually going to do the sequel, they would have to remove those stupid cartoon cutscenes, and make sure the city stays the same and put an arseload more levels in.

That city I swear is just total zen. It is the only time I can honestly say I dont feel angry or pissed off or dead inside.

FullMetal
  • FullMetal

Non-Retard

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 27 December 2009 - 05:46 PM

Xcommunicated: you probably summed up my thoughts on the game too. Great game indeed.

mrpain
  • mrpain

wub wub

• Zaibatsu

Posted 27 December 2009 - 06:32 PM

If they make the sequel, I hope they add more gunfights into the game.

Sure the first game had all of this fun parkour stuff but it gets tedious after awhile. I always wanted to wallrun while shooting a SMG at the same time. And how about jumping through the air, slowing down time and take an enemy out with a sniper rifle?

Come on Ea, mix parkour with guns.

Tommy-Vercetti19
  • Tommy-Vercetti19

Sure, Grand, No Probs

• BUSTED!

Posted 27 December 2009 - 06:40 PM

QUOTE (mrpain @ Dec 27 2009, 19:32)

Sure the first game had all of this fun parkour stuff but it gets tedious after awhile. I always wanted to wallrun while shooting a SMG at the same time. And how about jumping through the air, slowing down time and take an enemy out with a sniper rifle?

Play Enter The Matrix then. dozingoff.gif

Yeah it's just like how Xcomm and Daz put it. It is really new and it done quite well, so it would be a seruious mistake for DICE and EA not to make a sequel.

Maleficus
  • Maleficus

Propaganda Inc.

• The Connection

Posted 28 December 2009 - 08:32 AM

QUOTE (mrpain @ Dec 27 2009, 10:32)
If they make the sequel, I hope they add more gunfights into the game.

I think I'd like it better if they got rid of the armed combat, actually. Maybe get rid of all combat entirely, make it purely a free running game. But it sounds like we might not be getting a sequel, so I'm not going to hold my breath.

Street Mix
  • Street Mix

Boss

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 14 February 2011 - 10:53 AM

Oh great. Now let's hope they'll finish it at least after Battlefield 3. EA Pls don't go Activision evil way.
http://www.computera...tr=CVG-News-RSS

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 14 February 2011 - 06:02 PM

Pretty hefty bump but worth it if it hasnt been cancelled.

Though I would rather it come out after BF3 where not only can they really put time into it and get it perfect like the first was, but also, they will have learnt all the problems if any, with the new frostbite 2.0 engine. Which as seen in the recent tech demo. Looks PERFECT for mirrors edge.

I basically just want very similar levels to the first game and that epic brightness and vast draw distance of the city. What would really be cool if it had some sort of free roamable element to it, but really as long as it just like how the first game looked, I will be jizzing on the floor for sure. icon14.gif

Canoxa
  • Canoxa

Woosh.

• Zaibatsu

Posted 14 February 2011 - 10:51 PM

Damn, the bump got me all excited. So the news is that there won't be any news anytime soon. At least stalled is by no means canceled.

Street Mix
  • Street Mix

Boss

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 15 February 2011 - 08:24 PM

Is this a f*cking joke? First True Crime and now this?
http://www.bit-tech....e-2-cancelled/1

Maybe site misinterpreted EA's words. They've stated that the game was on hold.

Still hoping for the game.

papanesta
  • papanesta

Cantankerous Chauffeur

• The Precinct

Posted 15 February 2011 - 08:50 PM

I've seen a few sites now misunderstanding it. I don't think we'll truly know what's happening with it until after Battlefield 3.

JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• Members

Posted 15 February 2011 - 10:04 PM

It's been cancelled. When EA were shown the prototype build, they declined it. The team at DICE are now working on something else.

http://www.bit-tech....e-2-cancelled/1

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users