Photo

Edge Smoothing with nHancer

34 replies to this topic
OniMessiah
  • OniMessiah

Something Interesting

• Members

Posted 10 October 2009 - 10:02 PM

I posted an nHancer profile here that enables a form of edge smoothing if anybody is interested. The 2x and 4x settings provide different results, but anything above 4x provides the same results. Please note that this is for NVIDIA cards only.

No AA
user posted image

2x
user posted image

4x
user posted image

Also, this profile also enables adds three additional compatibility flags to SLI. It may or may not do much for you since this game is so CPU dependant, but give it a try.

Jigglyass
  • Jigglyass

Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 October 2009 - 10:26 PM

Well it looks better, better than nothing.

CharmingCharlie
  • CharmingCharlie

Proud PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 10 October 2009 - 10:52 PM

Let it never be said I am not afraid to try new things tounge.gif . I will give it a go now and see what it's all about.

mkey82
  • mkey82

Keep riding hard, son

• Members

Posted 10 October 2009 - 11:05 PM

Well, the image has been recompressed a few times, but there is noticeable difference.

user posted image

Nice find.

CharmingCharlie
  • CharmingCharlie

Proud PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 10 October 2009 - 11:42 PM

Yep definitely some smoothing going on and can't see much of a frame rate hit. Not really for me though I just get the impression it blurs things a wee bit too much and doesn't reduce the jaggies enough to warrant it. However hopefully some people will find a use for it.

Remember to use this profile you will need nhancer installed which you can get from here. Thanks for taking the time out to do this OniMessiah hopefully it will be appreciated by others icon14.gif icon14.gif

OniMessiah
  • OniMessiah

Something Interesting

• Members

Posted 10 October 2009 - 11:49 PM Edited by OniMessiah, 11 October 2009 - 12:27 AM.

QUOTE (CharmingCharlie @ Oct 10 2009, 23:42)
Yep definitely some smoothing going on and can't see much of a frame rate hit.  Not really for me though I just get the impression it blurs things a wee bit too much and doesn't reduce the jaggies enough to warrant it.  However hopefully some people will find a use for it.

Remember to use this profile you will need nhancer installed which you can get from here.  Thanks for taking the time out to do this OniMessiah hopefully it will be appreciated by others  icon14.gif   icon14.gif

Thanks. I'm sure it's just a personal preference, but like you said, some people would have a use for it. I use it on 2x since I find 4x to be a bit too blurry for my tastes.

EDIT: I was actually looking for an antialiasing compatibility flag, but this was the closest I found, so I thought I would share it.

Princess Charm
  • Princess Charm

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 11 October 2009 - 02:44 AM

Will It Work On My NVIDIA 9600 GT 1GB DDR3 ? I Mean WHat Exactly Is It ? How To Use It >?

CharmingCharlie
  • CharmingCharlie

Proud PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 11 October 2009 - 03:02 AM

Yes it will only work with Nvidia cards. To use the profile you download a program called "nhancer" which you can get here. You install nhancer to your system, start nhancer up and then load the profile that OniMessiah provided. Finally you set the smoothing to your desired tastes and launch the game with nhancer running.

I have been playing about with it a bit more, fired GTA 4 up on 1680 x 1050 fullscreen and at 2x it aint too bad. It seems to smooth out far away objects quite well.

ikt
  • ikt

• Members

Posted 11 October 2009 - 09:28 AM

I'm crying now.
Good for you, nVidia users! biggrin.gif What's the performance impact?

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

Let's Bounce

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal

Posted 11 October 2009 - 07:15 PM

Nice find, tho it does nothing to my game at any resolution, no "blurry" AA or whatever. confused.gif

Mr.Anonymous
  • Mr.Anonymous

Trick

• Members

Posted 11 October 2009 - 07:56 PM

Is it just me or can you achieve the exact same result by simply pressing the "P" button (or by disabling Definiton in the Graphics Menu)?

YoungGun
  • YoungGun

Thug

• Members

Posted 11 October 2009 - 08:25 PM

Tried it.. not enough to notice any difference. Just see the "blur" effect.
So, not worth it for me.

thales100
  • thales100

TripleHeader

• Members

Posted 11 October 2009 - 08:58 PM

Thanks, gonna try it tonight. biggrin.gif

Extortionate
  • Extortionate

Hustler

• Members

Posted 11 October 2009 - 09:54 PM

Just so you know. If you're using the 181.22 driver, nHancer doesn't support it.

supermortalhuman
  • supermortalhuman

522A4EA9

• BUSTED!

Posted 11 October 2009 - 09:55 PM

I cant see sh*t difference to be honest, looks like placebo to me.

OniMessiah
  • OniMessiah

Something Interesting

• Members

Posted 11 October 2009 - 10:02 PM

QUOTE (Mr.Anonymous @ Oct 11 2009, 19:56)
Is it just me or can you achieve the exact same result by simply pressing the "P" button (or by disabling Definiton in the Graphics Menu)?

It's not really the same result because the Definition option turns on some post processing effects, and this additional edge smoothing effect is simply added on to it. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Extortionate
  • Extortionate

Hustler

• Members

Posted 11 October 2009 - 10:03 PM

QUOTE (supermortalhuman @ Oct 11 2009, 21:55)
I cant see sh*t difference to be honest, looks like placebo to me.

It's like Risen which doesn't support AA, yet nHancer can force it on in the profile. When it's forced on like that the quality is pretty poor.

I can't tell the difference between 4x and 16x and there is no performance loss, so it's most lightly a hacked AA mode.

thales100
  • thales100

TripleHeader

• Members

Posted 11 October 2009 - 11:53 PM

Yep it doesnt seem to work here too.

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

Let's Bounce

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal

Posted 12 October 2009 - 05:35 PM

Placebo effect. We're all so OMG ANTI ALIASING! That we all try an impossible thing to happen in DX9 even if it's forced. HDR + AA.

Extortionate
  • Extortionate

Hustler

• Members

Posted 12 October 2009 - 06:14 PM

QUOTE (Spider-Vice @ Oct 12 2009, 17:35)
Placebo effect. We're all so OMG ANTI ALIASING! That we all try an impossible thing to happen in DX9 even if it's forced. HDR + AA.

It's only because some developers have decided to use certain DX9 features, such as deferred rendering. Renaming the .exe or using nHancer will enabled AA but it's not as ideal as if it was supported.

supermortalhuman
  • supermortalhuman

522A4EA9

• BUSTED!

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:33 PM

Oh no, I see it now. Look at Mkey's blown up samples. See the hood and car-body lines? It's pretty worthless with ENB super sampling available, but it does work. Cool.

Princess Charm
  • Princess Charm

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 14 October 2009 - 03:58 AM

QUOTE (CharmingCharlie @ Oct 11 2009, 03:02)
Yes it will only work with Nvidia cards. To use the profile you download a program called "nhancer" which you can get here. You install nhancer to your system, start nhancer up and then load the profile that OniMessiah provided. Finally you set the smoothing to your desired tastes and launch the game with nhancer running.

I have been playing about with it a bit more, fired GTA 4 up on 1680 x 1050 fullscreen and at 2x it aint too bad. It seems to smooth out far away objects quite well.

Tnx FOr the reply dude but where is OmiFessiah's Profile ? I cant find any option for smoothing The Textures ! I Want to know how to set it up how ? WHat settings should be changed ? Gimme some SCREENS MAN !

OniMessiah
  • OniMessiah

Something Interesting

• Members

Posted 17 October 2009 - 12:04 AM

For those with SLI configurations: Has anybody noticed a performance boost with this profile?

Frenchemul
  • Frenchemul

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 October 2009 - 12:38 PM

I've not tried, I'll launch the game with 8X-SLI-AA, the lower setting.

Frenchemul
  • Frenchemul

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 October 2009 - 12:50 PM Edited by Frenchemul, 17 October 2009 - 12:54 PM.

So, with all the game settings turned to the maximum (only Shadows on High instead of Very High), I do not see any aliasing difference... whatsthat.gif

At time Square:
user posted image

OniMessiah
  • OniMessiah

Something Interesting

• Members

Posted 24 October 2009 - 04:09 AM Edited by OniMessiah, 24 October 2009 - 05:53 AM.

QUOTE (Frenchemul @ Oct 17 2009, 07:50)
So, with all the game settings turned to the maximum (only Shadows on High instead of Very High), I do not see any aliasing difference...  whatsthat.gif

It's a rather subtle difference, but it's there. Try using 2x or 4x AA instead of the SLI AA settings.

Gorbachev
  • Gorbachev

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 24 October 2009 - 04:58 AM

I'm wondering if he even hit P.
Or if he knows how to use mods?

OniMessiah
  • OniMessiah

Something Interesting

• Members

Posted 24 October 2009 - 06:15 AM

QUOTE (Gorbachev @ Oct 23 2009, 23:58)

I'd agree that if it was already blurry with Definition off that he probably wouldn't notice a difference. It looks to me like it's turned on, though. As far as mods go, the ENB Series mod looks pretty good, but I don't know if I'd want those extra effects. Plus, even without the effects, it takes a huge performance hit. This is simply posted here for those who don't want to use mods and/or who want to use another alternative.

Frenchemul, try using the 2x or 4x setting instead of any of the SLI AA settings (I never tested those, so I'm not sure if they even work). What I meant when I mentioned SLI was if you noticed a performance boost compared to before you imported my nHancer profile. Reset your GTA IV profile to its predefined state, run the in-game benchmark with AA turned off, re-import my profile, and rerun the benchmark with AA off again.

FullMetal
  • FullMetal

Non-Retard

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 24 October 2009 - 07:13 AM

I don't see any difference to be honest... only that objects that are X feet away are just blurry.

Frenchemul
  • Frenchemul

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 24 October 2009 - 07:07 PM

QUOTE (OniMessiah @ Oct 24 2009, 08:15)
QUOTE (Gorbachev @ Oct 23 2009, 23:58)

I'd agree that if it was already blurry with Definition off that he probably wouldn't notice a difference. It looks to me like it's turned on, though. As far as mods go, the ENB Series mod looks pretty good, but I don't know if I'd want those extra effects. Plus, even without the effects, it takes a huge performance hit. This is simply posted here for those who don't want to use mods and/or who want to use another alternative.

Frenchemul, try using the 2x or 4x setting instead of any of the SLI AA settings (I never tested those, so I'm not sure if they even work). What I meant when I mentioned SLI was if you noticed a performance boost compared to before you imported my nHancer profile. Reset your GTA IV profile to its predefined state, run the in-game benchmark with AA turned off, re-import my profile, and rerun the benchmark with AA off again.

I'll try that. smile.gif Now I use Seven, but I deleted all my HD.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users