» «
Photo

The New GTA 4 Uliamate Tweak Guide

No replies to this topic
JohnPhoenix
  • JohnPhoenix

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 October 2009 - 04:53 AM Edited by JohnPhoenix, 09 October 2009 - 06:15 AM.

The New GTA 4 Ultimate Tweak Guide version 1.0

This is actually a collection of various tweak guides for tweaking performance and graphics in GTA 4 found on the net. I compiled this for my own use so I could have all the info at my finger tips but decided to post it as it may help others.

Instead of trying to give credit to all who contributed to all of these post I thought it was enough to provide a link where the original can be found.

In some places there are screenshots that were missing but you can work around that.
Also some tweaks refer to zip files of configuration files pre edited for your use. These files were not available so you will have to ignore them and make the changes yourself.

Some of these tweaks work for some people and not others. You will have to take this information and mix and match the tweaks to find the ones that give you the most performance.

I suggest you use FRAPS (http://www.fraps.com/download.php) to do your benchmark testing and to check frames per second for each tweak to help you narrow down which tweaks will work best for you.

Some of this information is duplicated but I left the pages in tact because different wording may make more since to some people and to preserve the intent of the thread and not be acused of stealing. I will remove the duplicates in version 2.0.

Every time you see "Found Here" and a URL, this marks the beginning of a new set of tweaks.

~~~~~~~~~The New GTA 4 Ultimate Tweak Guide~~~~~~~

Found Here: http://www.nvnews.ne...ad.php?t=124128

Ok im starting a thread to get this game working as best as possible, especially for those of us with mid range or mobile graphic cards. So please use this as a place to submit tweaks and advice to optimise this game.

Do your best to submit machine specs, settings, and FPS.

I bought this game today and was shocked at the feeble default settings and lack of freedom to set my own desired options, which left me with an 800x600 image that looked like crap and struggled along at 20fps.

After a few hrs testing i now have it running about 80% of the performance of an X360 using a mid range macbook pro.

I have already found a great tweak trick to increase textures without performance hit or other restrictions!!!

This enables better quality on mid range machines with 256mb of GFX memory and should work on other more powerful cards.
Please read the following for details on how to do this!

Firstly!

A low end machine will by default settings not allow you to raise your resolution above 800x600. This is DOES NOT mean you cannot increase your resolution!

By default the game use a calclator to assess what how much memory we are using with just the 3 following options -

resolution
texture quality
view distance

If you lower or raise these settings the memory usage at the bottom will go up or down. If you go over your GFX memory the game flashes up a warning message and allows about 10-15% (as far as i can tell) extra allocation for more of the 3 values.

When you hit the ceiling you are unable to increase those settings at all, they will simply refuse to move. I initially mistook this as a limit for my machine, but if you reduce one or both of the other 2 values you can free up memory and increase the jammed one.

So if i want to raise my resolution, i need to reduce my texture size or view distance until the memory value turns green (indicating excess resources).

Ok so here is my clever tweak -

Since even modest graphics cards can run decent texture levels with even 256mb of memory, even a basic machine can run medium textures (possibly even high) with NO peformance hit.
However since the game refuses to let you choose your own settings you have to 'spend' memory to get the medium textures.

This means you have to have less draw distance or lower resolution, which really kills the experience. However i found a cunning way to get medium textures by fiddling the settings.

You need to set the game options initially to medium or high textures, and not worry about resolution and your view distance. Just set them as low as you can so you can spend all your memory on getting the textures as high as your machine will allow.
A 512mb card might be able to get high textures since you can spend over 512... so try it and dont forget to use fraps to check your frame rates before and after.

Now you have the game set at your desired texture level, start a game (making sure to restart GTA 4 if necessary to load new textures) then once in game go to the graphics menu and switch the textures to LOW!

The game will 'refund' you back the memory you spent on textures, but the textures wont revert back until you restart the game. This means you can now increase your resolution to a nice sharp level, and then add view distance (i recommend certainly NO LESS than 10 or it really looks screwed up).

If you check with fraps you will see no detectable decrease in frame rate, but you now have decent textures along with your original resolution and view distance combination.

Rockstar needs to seriously patch the menus, since even my 8600m GT can run ultra textures on all other games with no difference to lowest. Textures have such little impact on overall performance, it makes no sense to force such cards to use the lowest settings.

This arbitrary system of calculating memory does not represent real game performance!
See for yourselves!

My specs -

Macbook Pro 2.4ghz (santa rosa), 2GB ram, 8600m GT 256mb.

Graphics settings

Resolution - 1176x664 (pretty sharp, just a snip away from the X360)
textures - (set as MEDIUM and reduced to low without restarting)
rendering quality - medium (no real gain from high at this resolution)

View distance - 10 (can push to 17, but eats about 5fps for minor view improvement)
detail distance - 10 (same as X360)
traffic density - 28 (default)
shadow density - 0 (see end of post!)

This all runs between 18-26fps, which is playable and looks pretty decent for a laptop.
More powerful machines could easily hit 30fps and id recommend getting the resolution to 1280x720 and then work on increasing view distance.

I couldnt seem to find any visual or perfomance impact for shadow density, i havent yet tested it at 0 and 16 with a restart. But altering it makes no difference to the quality or number of shadows, nor does it seem to affect frame rate. If anyone figures ths is out please post details.

Go to your GTA4 folder and make a shortcut of launchGTA4.exe.
Cut it to your desktop, open properties and add these lines to the end of the command line: "-norestrictions -DX9 /high"

norestrictions gets rid of the graphics options limits.
-DX9 forces DirectX 9 in Vista. I put it in anyways... (XP)
/high is to give the game the highest priority for resources (might just be for Vista, dunno, whatever)

PLUS, while your ingame, press ESC and go to "GAME". Turn the capture clip thing OFF. You won't be able to record replays, but it's a bit smoother with it off (for me)

Shadows: 0 (all this does is disable dynamic shadows like from car headlights. If you put it at '1' then your car only will display dynamic light)

This next bit is to make it look more vibrant and less washed out. It really makes a difference.
BTW BRIGHTNESS and CONTRAST are swapped. They labeled them wrong

Brightness (contrast): full
Contrast (Brightness): 1/3 full
Saturation: 3/4 full

Also, pressing "P" ingame will turn on motion blur and a depth blur kind of effect that masks edges (like in the console versions). I like the motion blur but not the depth one (less crisp). Hopefully in a tweak we are able to simply enable motion blur.

Found Here: http://www.tech-foru...s-guide-194514/

Post GTA 4 - tweaking performance and fixing issues guide
UPDATE:

two new tweaks requires editing the configuration files. Dirty work here folks!

The first one is complex but perhaps fully unlocks the configuration files so u can manually edit the settings in game, thus no restrictions then what i previously posted (-norestrictions and -nomemrestrict, doesnt work through 'Target'?). Risky! I have not attempted this one myself yet! I'm not for certain that -norestrictions and -nomemrestrict work correctly as it should so u might as well as skip that part.

second one is taking about turning off/reducing the Boom Effect.

links posted down towards the end of this post.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

KEEP IN MIND THAT THESE FIRST TWEAKS I POSTED EARLIER ARE POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS FOR GTA4 FOR PC! Is still a read though for some do work.

Quote:
Unlike previous PC ports of the GTA series, Grand Theft Auto 4 does not seem to be optimized that well. There are reports of the game running poorly on even high end graphics hardware such as ATI 4870X2,4870X2 and nVIDIA GTX 260, 280 etc. Video memory (VRAM) on the card plays a critical role here; even mid range cards such as Geforce 8800 or 8800GTX with lower than 512MB video memory can have trouble running GTA 4 at high settings. Also, having a quad core processor can help immensely. Even if you have a high end video card with a lot of video memory, an older dual core processor can become a bottleneck.
^^^ sounds about right, but i have found a blog that explains tweaks to improve the performance, lay off restrictions in settings in GTA4 so u can have the freedom to do what u want but it will take some of ur time to do so.

tweaking in performance and fixing issues for GTA4 can be found here:

FILEnetworks Blog: Possible solutions for Grand Theft Auto 4 fatal errors, crashes and performance issues

To start, u need to make a shortcut out of the LaunchGTAIV.exe file and place it on the desktop so 'Target' can be shown. To find the LaunchGTAIV.exe, it is in this directory:

HDD > Program Files > Rockstar Games > Grand Theft Auto IV > LaunchGTAIV.exe

right-click it > Create Shortcut. Drag it to desktop. I found the IV icon in the same folder and changed the name:

the ones i recommend: -norestrictions (UPDATE: doesnt work?), -nomemrestrict (UPDATE: doesnt work?), -fullspecaudio or -minspecaudio (switches between high end CPU audio footprint and low end CPU audio footprint UPDATE: does work, i believe), -width *1680, -height *1050 (*example UPDATE: does work), last but not least is -safemode (resets all ur settings so u can customize it the way u want UPDATE: does work).

–noprecache, u can try this. It disables pre-caching of textures and models (UPDATE: havent tried yet but i presume it does work).

Safe Mode, it is a requirement so u can change the Texture Quality from Medium to High. Once u do this, u are required to restart for it to take effect. Quit out of the game, right click on the LaunchGTAIV that u created a shortcut for, go to Properties, and delete the -safemode so it doesnt reset the settings u made.

it is recommended for users that do not have the directory to the 'Games' folder in various Windows Vista editions and Windows XP editions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageX View Post
For Safe Mode in XP, you can go to Start > All Programs > Rockstar Games > Grand Theft Auto IV > Grand Theft Auto IV Safe Mode
for the ones that do, here is the directory so u dont have to type in -safemode:

Start > Games > click GTA4 logo > Play - More Options (small play arrow) > Play (Safe Mode)

UPDATE!:

NEWS FLASH! More tips for tweaking this game on the same blog that i just found!:

FILEnetworks Blog: Few more tips to increase GTA 4 performance and other tweaks

WARNING! This one tweak requires time, risk, and patience if u want to mess around with the configuration files to be able to unlock the configuration files to manually edit the GTA 4 settings ur own freedom of use:

Quote:
How to unlock configuration files to manually edit GTA 4 settings

Unlike most other games, you can’t edit GTA 4 configuration settings by simply opening them up and editing them using a text editor. The game’s xlive (Windows Live) protection uses some kind of a hash check to detect modified files. If it detects edited files, the game will shut down at startup. Luckily the xlive protection, like all other protections out there, can be hoodwinked. Follow the steps below to unlock your GTA 4 configuration files for manual editing.

- If you have already tried modifying any GTA 4 configuration files (located in \Grand Theft Auto IV\common\data\ folder), you need to restore the original files. Reinstall if you have to.
- Download gtaiv.-magic.zip file from this link.(Link obtained from this thread – credit to original creator).

[ Quote:

this link http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=380102 is what he is refering to. A more detailed ""STEP-BY-STEP instructions"" is provided in this thread http://www.gtaforums...y1058731018(aka "credit to original creator", as stated above) *warning, long read and complex*.]

JOHN PHOENIX'S INSERT NOTICE: THE ABOVE INFORMATION IS OLD. THE Magic batch app is only for use with 1.0 and 1.0.1

" GTAIV Version 1.0.2

GTAIV Version 1.0.2 no longer needs a magic patch to function. All that is required is a patched version of filelist.pak which is available here http://aru.mtasa.com/gta4/filelist.pak

Step to upgrade to 1.0.2:
1. Undo any existing magic patches (Use the Recover tool if you used the Easy Way)
2. Install GTAIV Patch 1.0.2.
3. Backup the existing pc\data\filelist.pak
4. Replace pc\data\filelist.pak with the file in the archive.
5. Run the game and have fun!

Credit: http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=380102

Someone want to tell me if this also works with versions 3 and 4 updates?
END INSERT

- Extract this zip file – there will be two files inside – magic.bat file and filelist.pak file.
- Copy the magic.bat file to your GTA 4 installation directory. i.e- X:\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto IV\
- Run magic.bat. This will create backups of your GTA 4 config files and prepare them for modding. You may need to right click magic.bat and ‘Run as Administrator’ on Windows Vista.
- Navigate to folder X:\….\Grand Theft Auto IV\pc\data\. Locate the filelist.pak file.
- Create a backup of filelist.pak. Then replace it with the filelist.pak file you extracted in step 3 above.

You will now be able to edit the configuration files. GTA 4 configuration files are located in the ]I]X:\…\Grand Theft Auto IV\common\data\[/I] folder. Just open the .DAT files in this directory with a text editor and you are good to go. If you are looking to tweak graphics settings, edit visualsettings.dat file.

I cannot guarantee that you will always gain performance using the above method. On some video cards you will see a 5-10 FPS increase while on other cards there will be no noticeable performance increase at all.

P.S.- If GTA 4 crashes before intro screen when you launch the game after modding a file, something went wrong during the modding process. You may need to resintall.
^^^ these two new tweaks i just found are very risky. The first one sounds like, if done right, can really, really full unlock the restrictions so u urself can manually edit the settings.

i will not post the second link instructions. It is too long but i have provided it for it is a step-by-step process that must be read if any of u attempt to editing the configuration files.

Found Here: http://www.igrandthe...howtopic=790410

0.00 Start Social Club and download GTA 4 PATCH!!!!

0. After TWEAK i have 12fps more, sometimes this tweak can make a higher resolution playable for example - 800x600 to 1024x768.

1.Make sure all your drivers are updated.

2.Then download this

http://rapidshare.co...1690/Contig.exe

and give this file into X:/.../Grand Theft Auto IV/
and make shortcut to deskop.

Click right button on shortcut and add the " -s *.* -v" thing to the back of target line of the shortcut properties.

Run it (if vista- run as administrator), wait ~15minutes or more (its close when done).

3. Run game by social club in offline mode and when you start game, press ctrl+alt+delete and set highest prority for GTAIV.exe and LaunchGTAIV.exe

4.In game options, off clip capture

5. If you dont want lots of shadows (only towns, cars and bigger things) set "Shadow Density" for 0. When you set "3", lamps, PED's give shadows. Its veeery slow game when you turn on reflectors in car smile.gif

6. If you want to have pretty game without set high setting, you can press "p" for blur :]

The biggest tweak I can offer is disabling v-sync. That alone will boost fps.

Found Here: http://www.igrandthe...howtopic=790686

Grand Theft Auto IV TweakGuide
written by Ettans for iv-scripting.pri.ee and gtaforums.com

Last updated: 14.01.2009

(13.01.2009) Update: New information in Part 2 concerning FarClp @ 3500.00
(14.01.2009) Update: Fixed some spelling mistakes, updated Part 2 and added Part 6 & Part 7.

Part 1: Patching the files

First thing you should do, is download the GTA IV Magic Patcher by aru, in order to edit the files. Now, once you've downloaded and extracted it, open it and you'll see this: IMAGE NOT FOUND, See, JohnPhoenix's Insert Above

If you haven't already patched your files, click on Validate Files, once done, click on Apply Patch. Now you can edit your GTA IV files and you'll also have backups of every file, with .magic as their file extension. You can revert the files anytime, by clicking on Verify and then Recover. You can now close the program.

Part 2: Changing the view-distance

That was quite easy, wasn't it? Browse to your Grand Theft Auto IV\pc\data folder and open the file named timecyc.dat. I suggest you use Notepad++ for the editing, since it'll look very messy in the default Notepad. Once you have the file open, look for the field called "FarClp", this controls the distance from which buildings, trees etc. are drawn at. The smaller the value, the shorter the view-distance. The default value is 1500.00, which is very big and quite pointless. To change the view-distance, simply change the value to a smaller/higher number, I use 3500.00 personally, since it actually gave me +5 FPS in total, unlike the value of 500.00, which only gave me about +1 FPS in total. If you're either too lazy to change it or whatever your reason is, I've attached the edited file at the bottom of this thread.

Comparison images:

FarClp: 3500.00 (Not available)

Note: This value worked out the best for me and Anders, we got about +5 FPS in total,I'm not entirely sure, but I think it's got something to do with PreFetch.

FarClp: 1500.00 (Default value) (These Pics are not available)
FarClp: 750.00
FarClp: 500.00

In-game settings used:

Note: All images were taken at the same place, time and weather, on-top of the GetALife building.

Download timecyc.dat (FarClp 3500.00) (These Pics are not available)
Download timecyc.dat (FarClp 750.00)
Download timecyc.dat (FarClp 500.00)

Note: Extract it using WinRar or any similar program and place the file in your Grand Theft Auto IV\pc\data folder.

Part 3: Disabling shadows

Disabling the shadows doesn't have any significant impact on the games performance, but it might be useful for you if you're really struggling with the FPS. In order to disable the shadows, you should first download Alice by Alexander Blade. Extract the file and place the Alice folder in your main Grand Theft Auto IV folder. To disable the shadows, you can either make the script yourself, or download the one I made, using Alexander Blade's example script(s). To re-enable the shadows, simply delete the disable_shadows.lua in your Grand Theft Auto IV\Alice folder.

Shadows: Enabled (No Pic)

Shadows: Disabled (No Pic)

Note: All images were taken at the same place, time and weather.

Download disable_shadows.zip ( Not available)

Part 4: Lowering bloom intensity

Currently there's no way to completely disable the bloom in Grand Theft Auto IV, but you can lower it's intensity. To do this, browse to your Grand Theft Auto IV\common\data folder and open the file called visualSettings.dat. Open the file and find the following names:

misc.BloomIntensityClamp.HD
misc.BloomIntensityClamp.SD
misc.BloomIntensityClamp.SD.ps3

Simply change their values to 0.00. If you don't want to edit the values yourself, download the visualSettings.zip at the bottom of this part and extract it to your Grand Theft Auto IV\common\data folder.

Bloom intensity: Default

Bloom Intensity: 0.00/Disabled

Note: All images were taken at the same place, time and weather.

Download visualsettings.zip (Zip Not Available)

Part 5 (Optional): Lowering the amount of rain particles

A lot of people are having trouble playing Grand Theft Auto IV with it's rainy weather, this is caused by the amount of it's particles (mostly). I can't guarantee that this will give you any performance boost, but It did make my gameplay smoother. To change the amount of rain particles, browse to your Grand Theft Auto IV\common\data folder and open the file called visualsettings.dat. Find the following fields there:

rain.NumberParticles.ps3
rain.NumberParticles

Here are the values I use myself:

rain.NumberParticles.ps3 256
rain.NumberParticles 1024

Part 6 (Optional): Changing pedestrian LOD (Level of detail)

I didn't notice any improvements in performance with this tweak/change, but it's worth a try. Browse to your Grand Theft Auto IV\common\data folder and open the file named visualsettings.dat. Now, find the following fields:

ped.lod.distance.high - Default value: 15.00
pedincar.lod.distance.high - Default value: 7.00

The first field, ped.lod.distance.high controls the distance from which the High LOD (Level of detail) is applied to the pedestrians walking around. The second field, pedincar.lod.distance.high controls the distance from which the High LOD (Level of detail) is applied to the pedestrians inside a vehicle. Simply change them to something lower, this MIGHT help a bit, if there's a lot of pedestrians walking around you.

Part 7: The infamous commandline.txt

There are a lot of rumours concerning the commandline.txt. Some say you can tweak your game to excellent performance with that, some say the opposite. Tweaking is not about making your game perform excellently, but to improve it's quality and/or performance. So, lets get to the business now. Open your Grand Theft Auto IV folder and make a new .txt file, named it to commandline.txt. We'll be using this file to force different parameters. Open the file and put the following inside it:

-minspecaudio
-novblank
-safemode

Save and close the file. You're probably wondering what they mean? The -minspecaudio forces minimum quality audio. The -novblank removed VSync (Virtual sync). Virtual Sync forces your maximum framerate to the value of your refresh rate. So, if your refresh rate is 75 and you have VSync enabled, your FPS (Frames per second) will be limited to ~75. Now, the final one, -safemode forces the minimum possible graphics settings for your game. I doubt this really helps, but it's worth a try. I didn't notice any difference.

So, that concludes my Grand Theft Auto IV TweakGuide. Thanks a lot for reading, hopefully this tweak will help some people. If you want to post this on your forums/website, please don't copy & paste, but put a link to either the thread in gtaforums.com or the one at iv-scripting.pri.ee.

Credits:

aru (Making the GTA IV Magic Patcher)
Anders (Telling me about the rain particles, FarClp 3500.00 & pedestrian LOD)
Rockstar (For making this game) - Sorry about the earlier comment.
Alexander Blade (For making "Alice" and his example scripts)

Found Here: http://filenetworks....theft-auto.html

Possible solutions for Grand Theft Auto 4 fatal errors, crashes and performance issues

This article discusses solutions to various fatal errors, crashes to desktop (CTD) and performance issues you may encounter with GTA 4 as well as tweaks you can use to improve game performance.

GTA 4 Fatal Error Messages

There are quite a few fatal error messages in Grand Theft Auto 4. Here are some of the most common ones and how to get around them.

Fatal Error MMA10 (MMA 10)

This one is probably caused by the Social club application but i’m not quite sure. Anyway most of these MMA10 problems go away once you install .NET framework 3.5. Follow the steps below:

1. Determine which version of .NET framework is installed on your machine through the method described here. If you don’t have .NET framework 1.1 installed go to step 2. If you do have v1.1 or any higher version (2.0, 3.0, etc) installed, go to step 3.
2. Download and install v1.1 from here. Reboot and install .NET framework 3.5 obtained from here. Reboot again if required. Then download .Net Framework 3.5 SP1 from here, install it then reboot and try launching the game.
3. Install .NET framework 3.5 obtained from here. Reboot if required. Then download .Net Framework 3.5 SP1 from here, install it then reboot and try launching the game.

Fatal Error RMN40 (RMN 40)

This error is caused when the game is run on Windows XP systems without Service Pack 3.

* You need to download and install Windows XP Service Pack 3 or use Windows Vista to run the game.

Fatal Error RESC10 (RESC 10)

I am not sure but this seems to be caused by the game running out of available video memory. To max out graphics settings for GTA 4, you probably need a VGA with around 1GB video memory.

* You can try to get around this problem by lowering display settings (Lower view distance, detail distance, etc).
* For a more permanent solution (you won’t like this) you can buy a video card with more VRAM.

Note: For a complete list of GTA 4 error codes and what they mean, please refer to this article.

GTA 4 crashes and other errors

GTA IV crashes when trying to save the game

These crashes are probably caused by Windows Live or Social Club applications (which run in the background by the way).

* Try the same solution for GTA 4 Fatal Error MMA10 mentioned above. It is known to solve many of these save game crashes.

Cannot increase or change graphics settings in GTA 4 or modify default display settings

This is not a bug. Rockstar implemented this feature to prevent users from increasing graphics details on systems with low video memory. Anyway I don’t think this was a good move on their part and luckily for users this can be overridden.

1. Browse to the directory where you installed the game to and create a shortcut to Launchgtaiv.exe on the desktop.
2. Right click the shortcut and add the –norestrictions switch at the end of target field (leave a space after the closing quotes , add –norestrictions and press ok).
3. Start the game using the shortcut. You should now be able to change the graphics settings. Be warned that increasing graphics detail on systems with low VRAM may cause RESC10 fatal errors to occur.

Cannot run GTA 4 in Windowed mode

1. Create a shortcut to Launchgtaiv.exe on the desktop.
2. Edit the target field of the shortcut and add –windowed switch. Start GTA 4 using shortcut to force windowed mode.
3. To force fullscreen mode, add –fullscreen switch and launch the game.

Cannot change screen resolution in GTA 4

2. Edit the target field of the shortcut and add –width (value) and –height (value) switches. Start GTA 4 using shortcut to force the new the screen resolution

Example: to force the game on 1024x768: ”X:\……\Launchgtaiv.exe” –width 1024 –height 768

Cannot disable vsync

2. Edit the target field of the shortcut and add –novblank switch. Start GTA 4 using the shortcut to force vsync off.

Cannot start GTA 4 and various audio and video problems

This could be due to one of many reasons and a direct answer cannot be given unless more information is known. However, you can try launching the game in safe mode (which will force GTA 4 to run in lowest possible graphics settings) and see if it works:

2. Edit the target field of the shortcut and add –safemode switch. Start GTA 4 using the shortcut to force safe mode.

If you are having audio problems, you can try switching between high end CPU audio footprint and low end CPU audio footprint.

2. Edit the target field of the shortcut and add -fullspecaudio OR –minspecaudio switches. Start GTA 4 using shortcut to force the desired audio footprint.

Updated 6/12/2008
Missing textures in GTA 4

1. Download RivaTuner 2.2 from here. Install it and run it.
2. On the 'Main' tab, there will be a section titled 'Driver Settings' with ForceWare detected displayed below that. Click the build button to the right of it to open a menu with 5 icons.
3. From this set of icon, choose "Reset all driver settings to their default values'.
4. Do not modify any other settings using RivaTuner. Now launch the game.

Note that missing texture problems may also be present on systems with low video memory. The above method may not work in such cases.

Display settings reset every time GTA 4 is started
Sometimes after the installation of new drivers or other software, you may encounter the problem of the game resetting to default settings with every start. This can be very annoying. Follow the steps below to fix this problem: For Windows Vista users:

1. Navigate to the GTA 4 settings folder. That is "C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Rockstar Games\GTA IV"
2. Delete the 3 files inside this folder. Do not delete any subfodlers as the saves and any custom music you placed are also stored here.
3. Restart the game and configure your display settings for one last time.

For Windows XP users:

1. Navigate to the GTA 4 settings folder. That is "C:\Documents And Settings\YOURUSERNAME\Application Data\Rockstar Games\GTA IV"
2. Delete the 3 files inside this folder. Do not delete any subfodlers as the saves and any custom music you placed are also stored here
3. Restart the game and configure your display settings for one last time.

GTA 4 performance issues and tweaks

Unlike previous PC ports of the GTA series, Grand Theft Auto 4 does not seem to be optimized that well. There are reports of the game running poorly on even high end graphics hardware such as ATI 4870X2,4870X2 and nVIDIA GTX 260, 280 etc. Video memory (VRAM) on the card plays a critical role here; even mid range cards such as Geforce 8800 or 8800GTX with lower than 512MB video memory can have trouble running GTA 4 at high settings. Also, having a quad core processor can help immensely. Even if you have a high end video card with a lot of video memory, an older dual core processor can become a bottleneck.

You can try using the –noprecache and –nomemrestrict switches to see if there is a difference in game performance but this is not guaranteed. –noprechace disables pre-caching of textures and models and –nomemrestrict removes the memory restrictions that are enabled by default.

As always, upgrading to the latest graphics and audio drivers may help. Latest ATI and nVIDIA drivers (including beta drivers) along with drivers for popular audio cards can be found here. Hopefully either Rockstar or graphics card manufacturers will release a patch or new drivers soon that will hopefully boost GTA 4 performance on the PC.

UPDATE: nVIDIA have released v180.84 display drivers which they claim are specifically designed to boost the performance of Grand Theft Auto 4 on nVIDIA GPUs. You can download them from here.

Note that I cannot guarantee that above mentioned solutions will work for everyone. Reuslts may vary depending on the version of the game you have as well as your computer’s hardware and software configuration. Also tote that this article does not list every possible GTA 4 error out there. I will update it if and when I discover solutions for more problems out there. Feel free to drop a comment if you need any help.

Found Here: http://filenetworks....ease-gta-4.html

Few more tips to increase GTA 4 performance and other tweaks

It’s been a while since Grand Theft Auto 4 was released but there still seem to be a lot of people out there searching for tips, tweaks and fixes for various problems with the game. GTA 4 does not seem to be that well optimized for the PC and runs a little slow even on some high end computers. I hope this article will help you better tweak the game and gain at least a few more FPS.

Note: The first part of this article can be found here. If you have problems with the game and still have not read the first part, I suggest you check for solutions and performance tips there first.

Note: Some of the methods below involve editing GTA 4 configuration files. If you enter wrong values or edit the wrong file, it could fcuk up the game completely - you will need to resintall. Proceed at your own risk.

How to unlock configuration files to manually edit GTA 4 settings

Unlike most other games, you can’t edit GTA 4 configuration settings by simply opening them up and editing them using a text editor. The game’s xlive (Windows Live) protection uses some kind of a hash check to detect modified files. If it detects edited files, the game will shut down at startup. Luckily the xlive protection, like all other protections out there, can be hoodwinked. Follow the steps below to unlock your GTA 4 configuration files for manual editing.

1. If you have already tried modifying any GTA 4 configuration files (located in \Grand Theft Auto IV\common\data\ folder), you need to restore the original files. Reinstall if you have to.
2. Download gtaiv.-magic.zip file from this link.(Link obtained from this thread – credit to original creator).
3. Extract this zip file – there will be two files inside – magic.bat file and filelist.pak file.
4. Copy the magic.bat file to your GTA 4 installation directory. i.e- X:\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto IV\
5. Run magic.bat. This will create backups of your GTA 4 config files and prepare them for modding. You may need to right click magic.bat and ‘Run as Administrator’ on Windows Vista.
6. Navigate to folder X:\….\Grand Theft Auto IV\pc\data\. Locate the filelist.pak file.
7. Create a backup of filelist.pak. Then replace it with the filelist.pak file you extracted in step 3 above.

You will now be able to edit the configuration files. GTA 4 configuration files are located in the X:\…\Grand Theft Auto IV\common\data\ folder. Just open the .DAT files in this directory with a text editor and you are good to go. If you are looking to tweak graphics settings, edit visualsettings.dat file.

How to turn off/reduce Bloom effect in GTA 4?

If you were not aware, GTA 4 has the bloom effect enabled by default. Worst part is that there is no option to turn it off. If you have low end video hardware, having bloom enabled can cost you some FPS. Although Bloom can never really be turned off in GTA 4, it can be turned down by editing the config files. To turn Bloom down, follow the steps below:

1. You need to prepare your configuration files for modding by following steps 1-7 in ‘How to unlock configuration files to manually edit GTA 4 settings’ topic above. If you have not done this already, do it now.
2. Navigate to X:\…\Grand Theft Auto IV\common\data\ folder. Locate the visualsettings.dat file. Check if the file is marked read only. If it is, remove the read only attribute.
3. Open visualsettings.dat with a text editor. Search for the following lines:
misc.BloomIntensityClamp.HD 10
misc.BloomIntensityClamp.SD 10.00
4. Now carefully change these two lines to the ones given below: misc.BloomIntensityClamp.HD 0
misc.BloomIntensityClamp.SD 0.00
5. Save the file.

I cannot guarantee that you will always gain performance using the above method. On some video cards you will see a 5-10 FPS increase while on other cards there will be no noticeable performance increase at all.

P.S.- If GTA 4 crashes before intro screen when you launch the game after modding a file, something went wrong during the modding process. You may need to resintall.

How to use your own music tracks in GTA 4 vehicle radio

Just like in previous GTA games, you can use your own music tracks in GTA 4.

1. Copy your music tracks to C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\User Music\ folder if using Windows Vista OR to My Documents\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\User Music\ folder if using Windows XP (MP3 format is preferred)
2. Launch the game. Go to Options->Audio
3. Select ‘Complete Scan’. The game will detect all your tracks.
4. Start the game and get into a vehicle. Select Independence FM radio station – this is the station that will play user tracks.

How to hail a cab in GTA 4

Not exactly a technical issue but got several E-mails about this. You have to play an early storyline mission to unlock this ability. Once you do that, find a taxi on the road and press E. Nicko will whistle and sometimes you may get the text “A taxi has been hailed”. If the taxi stops, walk to it and press and hold F. If you simply press F, Nicko will carjack the Taxi. You need to press and hold F for this to work.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~END ~~~~~~~~~~~

I know the above looks crude and sloppy. I plan to wade through all of the above and remake it into a concise guide with no duplicates but it is going to take me a while. When I am finished I will repost it as version 2.0 and all URL credits will be given at the bottom of the page. I welcome any tweak suggestions I have missed.

Oh Drat. silly me for not spell checking the subject before posting. No way to change my own subject on this forum? Any Mod wanna fix that for me? Thanks!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users