» «
Photo

Video Game Heroes competition.

43 replies to this topic
Mr. Someguy
  • Mr. Someguy

Gold Member

• Members

Posted 05 October 2009 - 10:38 PM Edited by Mr. Someguy, 09 October 2009 - 10:07 PM.

Alright, so Gamestop is holding a competition, deciding who is the greatest hero. So far we are down to final 2. Our goal is to see Freeman to victory. Gordon has won over several people, including the famous Solid Snake and Link. Now he's up against the world famous Mario himself. biggrin.gif

The competition can be seen here:
http://www.gamespot....ml?battle_id=63

I'm sure many of you have played the Half-Life games, and know who Gordon is and what he's done. For those of you who don't know:

Short Version: He saved Xen (an alien planet) from Slavery and thus opened up relations with the dominant alien race, the Vortigaunt. 2 decades later he saves earth from the multi-dimentional Combine Empire.

Long Version:
Gordon Freeman was a scientist as the Black Mesa Research Facility. One day during an expirement somethng went wrong and a dimentional rift was opened up, teleporting alien-slaves into the facility. The US Marines are dispatched to cover it up by eliminating the facilty personnel. He soon earns himself the Militaries Top Priority Target. Caught between the powerful US Military, and the Endless waves of Aliens, and later on Black Operations Assassins (basically female ninja's, but with silenced pistols and grenades), Freeman makes launches a rocket to close the portals. He is then sent to the alien borderworld to eliminate the leader, the Nihilanth. After doing this, all the alien slaves are freed from his control. The mysterious Gman holds him in a stasis away from space and time itself for 2 decades.

When he reappears, he notices that Earth is now under control of the inter-dimentional Combine Empire. He immediately joins the resistance with his old friends Dr. Eli Vance, Dr. Isaac Kliner, and Officer Barney Calhoun (who is working as a spy for the rebels). In the next couple of days he goes from being nobody special, to being the Combine's most wanted individual, earning his himself the name Anticitizen 1. After the Combine capture his friend Eli, he and Alyx Vance trace his location to the old Prison-turned-Combine-Fortress Nova Prospekt. They breach the base and attempt to save Vance, but fail as they are foiled by a combine spy. Nevertheless they escape the base in an unstable teleporter just as the base is destroyed in a massive explosion. This halts the production of Stalkers (slaves) and Combine Soldiers. The explosion sparks a massive guerrilla war againts the combine. Freeman reappears a week later (having been trapped in a slow teleport due to the malfuntioning machine) and aids the resistance greatly. Freeman makes his way into the Citadel and destroys the Dark Fusion Reactor, destabilizing the citadel. He and Alyx escapes the city as the Citadels Dark Energy Core goes critical, destroying the majority of the city and sending debris flying for miles. Now a superportal is trying to open up over the Citadel Ruins, on the other side, missions of combine reinforcements, capable of destroying the rebellion in mere minutes. Gordon makes his way to the White Forest Missile Base (a soviet rocket facility used by the rebels), holds off an attack, and launches a rocket that closes the Portal and isolates the Combine on Earth, sealing their fate and saving the world.

Oops, got a little carried away there... moto_whistle.gif

Anyway, remember, a vote for Freeman is a vote for all FPS Heroes.

SynTerro
  • SynTerro

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 05 October 2009 - 10:57 PM Edited by SynTerro, 05 October 2009 - 11:03 PM.

You need to fix that link

edit: Working link http://www.gamespot....ml?battle_id=62

BTW Freeman kicks Links ass

Guns N R0se
  • Guns N R0se

King of the Mountain

• Members

Posted 05 October 2009 - 11:08 PM

omg it's 50/50

Starion
  • Starion

hmm..

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 05 October 2009 - 11:09 PM

Vote for gordon, he's losing!

TEoS
  • TEoS

High Priest of the Vootard Cult

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 06 October 2009 - 02:51 AM

Sure, I'd love to vote for Link!

supermortalhuman
  • supermortalhuman

522A4EA9

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 October 2009 - 03:45 AM

lol! I just voted and this is what it is as of now:

user posted image

ScratchCard
  • ScratchCard

Arc.

• Members

Posted 06 October 2009 - 07:05 AM

http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=425519

Anyway, I voted for Freeman. Don't want a Nintendo character to win this thing.. moto_whistle.gif

Warlord.
  • Warlord.

:O

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 06 October 2009 - 10:02 AM

If Link wins, I'll lose all hope in Gamespot.

Hell, if Gordon doesn't win the thing, I'll lose hope. He's the best character there for me inlove.gif.

Robinski
  • Robinski

Under a fluorescent sky

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 October 2009 - 11:30 AM

I'm just glad that Bub and Bob didn't make it to the end. I am shocked that they're out however; get your game face on 4chan, you can do better than that, you c*nts.

Reconite
  • Reconite

PC Gaming Master Race

• Members

Posted 06 October 2009 - 12:57 PM

Y'know he's just gonna lose to Mario.
People voting for Mario = Nintendo fans, Link fans, Mario fans, Luigi fans, Samus fans (even if she lost to Mario, she's still Nintendo), old games fans, NES fans, SNES fans, Virtual Console fans, everything Nintendo fans, FPS and violence haters, Gordon Freeman haters, Jack Thompson, etc.
The list goes on.

There are not enough people to vote for Gordon, if he wins against Link that will definitely be as far as he will go. I'm not even gonna bother voting, to be honest.

Mr. Someguy
  • Mr. Someguy

Gold Member

• Members

Posted 06 October 2009 - 11:28 PM

We know Mario is probably undefeatable, but getting second place is still very good.

SynTerro
  • SynTerro

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 07 October 2009 - 10:51 AM

QUOTE (Reconite @ Oct 6 2009, 12:57)
Y'know he's just gonna lose to Mario.
People voting for Mario = Nintendo fans, Link fans, Mario fans, Luigi fans, Samus fans (even if she lost to Mario, she's still Nintendo), old games fans, NES fans, SNES fans, Virtual Console fans, everything Nintendo fans, FPS and violence haters, Gordon Freeman haters, Jack Thompson, etc.
The list goes on.

There are not enough people to vote for Gordon, if he wins against Link that will definitely be as far as he will go. I'm not even gonna bother voting, to be honest.

I don't know.

Mario is probably going to win if you look at the votes right now Mario has 72000 votes against Gordon's 67000, but I don't think that people that voted for link didn't vote for Mario. So I think it's going to be closer than you think, but yeah Mario will probably win this. BTW some people who voted Samus(I never heard of her before) might be Mario haters.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Boob groper

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 07 October 2009 - 11:05 AM

I heard 4chan raped this competition. But let's save what we can. I voted for Gordon of course.

SynTerro
  • SynTerro

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 07 October 2009 - 11:11 PM

Any idea when the voting stops? Link is catching up to Gordon

Mr. Someguy
  • Mr. Someguy

Gold Member

• Members

Posted 08 October 2009 - 01:58 AM

QUOTE (GTAvanja @ Oct 7 2009, 06:05)
I heard 4chan raped this competition. But let's save what we can. I voted for Gordon of course.

That was awhile back, and the character they voted for was disqualified.

In other news: Valve Corporation has unleashed the Steam. cool.gif

SynTerro
  • SynTerro

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 08 October 2009 - 02:33 AM Edited by SynTerro, 08 October 2009 - 02:35 AM.

QUOTE (Mr. Someguy @ Oct 8 2009, 01:58)
QUOTE (GTAvanja @ Oct 7 2009, 06:05)

That was awhile back, and the character they voted for was disqualified.

In other news: Valve Corporation has unleashed the Steam. cool.gif

Yes I saw a sudden boost in Gordon votes

Hell it's even about to beat Mario

Mario now 78000 votes
Gordon now 77000 votes

Killer783
  • Killer783

Bronies before Hoenies !

• Members

Posted 08 October 2009 - 02:52 AM

Link.Broforce...I mean Triforce.

SynTerro
  • SynTerro

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 08 October 2009 - 03:02 AM Edited by SynTerro, 08 October 2009 - 03:05 AM.

With the force of Steams 20,000,000++ users Gordon actually has a chance winning this. 80,000 votes now for gordon.

Gordon haters are screaming for a disqualification, but in democracy it's not illegal to ask people to vote, I'm sure some Nintendo networks has been triggered to vote too.

The-King
  • The-King

[Rekt Intensifies]

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 08 October 2009 - 05:12 AM

I don't really think of Gordon as a character at all, I loved the Half Life games, but Link and Mario are more iconic and should be more loved. f*cking vote stacking.

Mr. Someguy
  • Mr. Someguy

Gold Member

• Members

Posted 08 October 2009 - 06:58 AM

Freeman now has more votes than the almighty Mario. smile.gif

SynTerro
  • SynTerro

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 08 October 2009 - 08:23 PM

The Final Mario vs Freeman is on now and Freeman is already crushing Mario. The Nintendo fanboys are hysterical on their forums biggrin.gif

dice
  • dice

love_triangle

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 08 October 2009 - 08:34 PM

I saw this on steam news and voted for Freeman. I'm just afraid, when all those nintendo fans from America wake up, what will happen to the scores

SynTerro
  • SynTerro

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 08 October 2009 - 08:38 PM

QUOTE (^- Dice -> @ Oct 8 2009, 20:34)
I saw this on steam news and voted for Freeman. I'm just afraid, when all those nintendo fans from America wake up, what will happen to the scores

They should be awake now, anyway the vote will last about a week I think.

Kimd41
  • Kimd41

SRS

• Members

Posted 08 October 2009 - 08:44 PM

Yes! Vote for Freeman! Gotta love the 30k votes increase in a day when Steam posted the news.

oldage
  • oldage

Boss

• Members

Posted 08 October 2009 - 08:50 PM

awesome! freeman should soo win.

Rick88
  • Rick88

"Who is Atlas?"...

• Members

Posted 09 October 2009 - 02:27 AM

QUOTE (The-King @ Oct 7 2009, 21:12)
I don't really think of Gordon as a character at all, I loved the Half Life games, but Link and Mario are more iconic and should be more loved. f*cking vote stacking.

Indeed, what's with the hate? Or is this just a whole "gotta give love for the underdog" kind of thing? Anyways, Freeman is pretty awesome, but Mario is sticking with my vote. I still can't believe he actually defeated Link. confused.gif

Supreme.
  • Supreme.

• Members

Posted 09 October 2009 - 04:58 AM Edited by Supreme., 09 October 2009 - 05:27 AM.

Hahahahahahaha... Gooooo Freeman! biggrin.gif

The HL series holds a special place in my mind... however, no single HL can top the pricelessly nostalgic, childhood awesomeness that is Zelda - ALttP / OoT, and SMB - 3 / World. inlove.gif

...So, he beat out Snake, Link, and is (currently) topping Mario? That is so wrong. tounge.gif

The-King
  • The-King

[Rekt Intensifies]

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 09 October 2009 - 07:23 AM

This is one of the few reasons I despise the internet; the whole bandwagon, vote stacking bullsh*t that everyone does. Whenever a competition comes up regarding musicians, games, etc. the parties involved always try to stack the vote in their favor in the name of a falsely earned piece of recognition which means jack sh*t.

As much as I love Half Life, Gordon doesn't shouldn't even f*cking count in this competition given that he has no voice, personality, or character whatsoever.

Supreme.
  • Supreme.

• Members

Posted 09 October 2009 - 07:31 AM

QUOTE (The-King @ Oct 9 2009, 07:23)
which means jack sh*t.

Spot on. cookie.gif

SynTerro
  • SynTerro

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 09 October 2009 - 11:25 AM Edited by SynTerro, 09 October 2009 - 11:28 AM.

Haven't Wii someway to announce and rally their gamers through their platform to vote, as Steam have and did? I never used a Wii so I don't know.

There nothing wrong with making people aware of the vote that is going on. Unfortunately for Mario and Zelda, Steam and it's community did a much better job at this. Steam has a way to do major advertising without costing them a thing.

Even before Steam did this Freeman was leading to Zelda, and Dr. Freeman is a worthy winner.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users