Google Android

2,631 replies to this topic
Shaytan
  • Shaytan

"It can't be that difficult"

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 4 weeks ago

I think the most important Android 8 changes occur under the hood. Over the last months I've read many articles about the two big problems of Android - security and inconsistencies in terms of updates since that's up to each brand and carrier to release. Apparently Google is trying to make some changes in both fields.

Most of the UI changes are recreations of what you could get with 3rd party launchers for ages if you really wanted so. Perhaps the most relevant UI change imo are the adaptive icons that would allow a more consistent looks to the app drawer that until now you could only get with icon packs.
  • hei3enberg likes this

Android
  • Android

Popsicle

• Facade Corporation
  • NATO
  • The Congressional Medal of sh*tposting
    Contribution Award [Snapmatic Competition]
    Most Talented Graphics Artist 2015
    Most Improved Member 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Best Poster [Technology] 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]
    Helpfulness Award [GTA V]

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by Android, 4 weeks ago.

Besides picture-in-picture, new emojis, and some well needed under the hood optimization, I don't believe there's actually much to get hyped about. It's official though, so we've got Oreo on the way and it's gonna be rolled out soon for Pixel and some Nexus devices. Some system images are already live.

Now taking bets for Android "P" :p

Shaytan
  • Shaytan

"It can't be that difficult"

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 4 weeks ago

Oh man, my hopes didn't happened! Well, what about...

... Android P U S S Y

Crokey
  • Crokey

Builders Like Erections

• Belize
  • Best Official Gang 2016 [Zaibatsu]
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2016
    Worst Tits 2016
    Worst Tits 2015
    Worst Tits 2014
    Best Poster [Sports] 2016
    Best Poster [Sports] 2015
    Best Poster [Sports] 2014
    Last ever poster in a public area on the old forum
    Best Llama 2016
    14K Doggo/Catto-Chop Winner 2017

Posted 4 weeks ago

tumblr_m25gwc89ae1qbga48o2_r2_250.gif

Looking at the release notes, there doesn't seem to be anything spectacular, and hasn't really moved on that much over the last couple of versions.  I'd hasten to use the phrase "mailing it in", but it's not far off it.  But I guess it's where the technology is right now, and it's sort of plateauing, without taking it too far, and ending up in a Samsung Galaxy Note 8 situation where stuff's to powerful for the hardware, and everything blows up.

Voodoo
  • Voodoo

Cyclop have 9 years

• Administrator
  • Unknown
  • Most Corrupt Staff 2016
    Most Corrupt Staff 2014

Posted 4 weeks ago

It's pretty zippy. I like the condensed menus, too.

ci8f4tt.png

I suppose you could call this "Vanilla Oreo".

H52VERGR52VER
  • H52VERGR52VER

Rat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago

Would it be possible to make the theme black? I don't like that blinding white because my eyes say so, and it probably drains the battery faster.

Kaniel Outis
  • Kaniel Outis

• Facade Corporation
  • India
  • Helpfulness Award [WD&P Mega Topic]

Posted 4 weeks ago

Would it be possible to make the theme black? I don't like that blinding white because my eyes say so, and it probably drains the battery faster.

I don't think that's possible with Stock Android. Pretty sure that customized UI will offer tons of options with Oreo when major custom roms use it. The Stock UI gets white with each major update I believe. It's blinding at times, which is why I use Bluelight Filter from Google Play. Helps to reduce some strain at times when the light is too much.

Voodoo
  • Voodoo

Cyclop have 9 years

• Administrator
  • Unknown
  • Most Corrupt Staff 2016
    Most Corrupt Staff 2014

Posted 3 weeks ago

You would need to theme your apps with Substratum. I'm no fan of the stock white either, but since this is a new release the options are limited. So far, I'm rooted and have TWRP installed but most of the dark themes available for Android 8.0 are pretty janky and won't apply properly.

I did get Sai's running, though. It's pretty sparse but does include most of the main apps like dialer, settings, etc. Also, you supposedly don't need root but I CBA to revert to test that.

HPhsSc1.png

ixbz3WG.png

Andreaz1
  • Andreaz1

♪ ♫

• Members
  • Sweden
  • Helpfulness Award
    Draw Contest Winner 2016

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by Andreaz1, 3 weeks ago.

There are some rumors that my phone will get Android 8 so woop. Hope it's true and that it doesn't take too long.

Kaniel Outis
  • Kaniel Outis

• Facade Corporation
  • India

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by Kaniel Outis, 3 weeks ago.

You would need to theme your apps with Substratum. I'm no fan of the stock white either, but since this is a new release the options are limited. So far, I'm rooted and have TWRP installed but most of the dark themes available for Android 8.0 are pretty janky and won't apply properly.

I did get Sai's running, though. It's pretty sparse but does include most of the main apps like dialer, settings, etc. Also, you supposedly don't need root but I CBA to revert to test that.

That theme is way too dark and doesn't have a proper eye-candy feeling when compared to Material Dark or Holo Dark themes. I guess we'll see more of the substratum themes soon. I also hope that the Oreo version of CM will feature a proper theme engine.

There are some rumors that my phone will get Android 8 so woop. Hope it's true and that it doesn't take too long.

What device do you have?

BlackScout
  • BlackScout

A Ninja

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by BlackScout, 3 weeks ago.

Is it worth for someone not so dumb with Android ROM flashing and system sh*t manipulation to void the warranty of my recently bought Moto G5 Plus? (potter)

I mean, I love the job Motorola did on the Stock ROM, it's clean, fast and works well. The itch though...

G5+'s camera isn't as great as I expected, pictures shot with it get kinda dark and dull even though it has Manual Mode (ISO, Exposure)... That would allow me to have A7.1.2 or Oreo *soon* and enable Camera HAL2, RAW Capture possibly and some other cool stuff...

The problem is that I'm afraid of having my device defective after the bootloader unlock (from bad luck :p not from any mistake of mine) and somewhat afraid of it being not so worth the time, risk and warranty void.

Kaniel Outis
  • Kaniel Outis

• Facade Corporation
  • India

Posted 3 weeks ago

Is it worth for someone not so dumb with Android ROM flashing and system sh*t manipulation to void the warranty of my recently bought Moto G5 Plus? (potter)

I mean, I love the job Motorola did on the Stock ROM, it's clean, fast and works well. The itch though...
G5+'s camera isn't as great as I expected, pictures shot with it get kinda dark and dull even though it has Manual Mode (ISO, Exposure)... That would allow me to have A7.1.2 or Oreo *soon* and enable Camera HAL2, RAW Capture possibly and some other cool stuff...

The problem is that I'm afraid of having my device defective after the bootloader unlock (from bad luck :p not from any mistake of mine) and somewhat afraid of it being not so worth the time, risk and warranty void.

I would suggest against Bootloader unlock if you don't know your way around Flashing and ROMs. I unlock and root my Moto devices only after their warranty has been void. Moto G5 is really good with stock ROM. I use one myself. The Camera isn't good like G5+ with it's laser autofocus but the G5 has a really nice Camera compared to G4 and even some old X devices. I use the manual controls myself for best results.

Andreaz1
  • Andreaz1

♪ ♫

• Members
  • Sweden
  • Helpfulness Award
    Draw Contest Winner 2016

Posted 3 weeks ago

What device do you have?

Sony Xperia X.

Kaniel Outis
  • Kaniel Outis

• Facade Corporation
  • India

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by Kaniel Outis, 3 weeks ago.

What device do you have?

Sony Xperia X.

X devices are premium Sony devices and like Z series, they're supposed to get atleast 2 major OS updates.

EDIT: Xperia X will get Oreo update as well.

deadx23
  • deadx23

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States
  • Next DLC Thread Page 3000 Winner

Posted A week ago Edited by deadx23, A week ago.

I am so dumb ,
I made a post a few months back that my Nexus 6's female power connection failed and couldn't get to charge it so I bought the wireless charger.today I was just thinking (this happened to a old iPhone 6 I had) and found out it was actually lint inside at the very bottom a collection of lint that blocked the charger from entering all the way to charge I just cleaned it out and it charged just fine ugh lol. I don't use it anymore cause my pixel XL and I did receive my Oreo update this past week.

Straypuft
  • Straypuft

Pilot For Hire

• Members
  • Japan

Posted A week ago

Just ordered a Galaxy S7 a few hours ago because I got an offer for $1+tax down payment, waiting for the approval email. hopefully it goes through and I can replace my S3 :3

Kaniel Outis
  • Kaniel Outis

• Facade Corporation
  • India

Posted A week ago

Motorola announced the list of devices that'll be getting Nougat. Sadly, the G4 series isn't there on the list. Such a shame that the a device which is not even 18 months old won't get the next major update.
  • hei3enberg likes this

GTA3Rockstar
  • GTA3Rockstar

--------------------

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Lifetime Achievement Award
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted A week ago

Problem here

I have an Asus Transformer pad TF701t - Android 4.4.

It was dying, under 10% so I plugged it in. The orange indicator light was on, letting me know it was charging. I came back to check something 10 minutes later or whatever, it was around 18%. Blah blah, did something, came back again like an hour or so later and noticed it only got to 23% and was like wtf. Fiddled with it and plugged it back in, no charging indicator light came on. I tried plugging it into another outlet, another usb wall plug and my computer, nothing but the tablet recognized the usb was plugged in because the screen would wake up if I unplugged or plugged it back in.

So, now I'm at a point where it's dead, plugged into the charger with no charging indicator light. When I try to turn it on, all it shows is an almost empty battery with a red bar, like so.

Always used the same usb wall plug, just not the same wire that came with it. The battery seemed fine, I would probably get around 5hrs out of a full charge if I was playing a game/videos or something. I don't see how it would start charging like normal and then just stop.

Only thing that's changed is I recently installed a pair of Homeplugs, I highly doubt that would do anything but that's only thing I changed.

I'll keep it charging, even if there's no indicator.

• hei3enberg likes this

Nick1020
  • Nick1020

Furry and Proud. Maybe

• GTAF Crew
  • United-States

Posted 6 days ago

I miss my Note 4. Loved the crispness of the screen, scribbling doodles, and having more control. Don't miss the bugs, lag and horrible battery life it had.
  • hei3enberg likes this

hei3enberg
  • hei3enberg

Too old for this sh*t

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 days ago

Problem here

I have an Asus Transformer pad TF701t - Android 4.4.

It was dying, under 10% so I plugged it in. The orange indicator light was on, letting me know it was charging. I came back to check something 10 minutes later or whatever, it was around 18%. Blah blah, did something, came back again like an hour or so later and noticed it only got to 23% and was like wtf. Fiddled with it and plugged it back in, no charging indicator light came on. I tried plugging it into another outlet, another usb wall plug and my computer, nothing but the tablet recognized the usb was plugged in because the screen would wake up if I unplugged or plugged it back in.

So, now I'm at a point where it's dead, plugged into the charger with no charging indicator light. When I try to turn it on, all it shows is an almost empty battery with a red bar, like so.

Always used the same usb wall plug, just not the same wire that came with it. The battery seemed fine, I would probably get around 5hrs out of a full charge if I was playing a game/videos or something. I don't see how it would start charging like normal and then just stop.

Only thing that's changed is I recently installed a pair of Homeplugs, I highly doubt that would do anything but that's only thing I changed.

I'll keep it charging, even if there's no indicator.

There are several reasons for this kind of behavior, to simplify our task here I will combine these possible explanations with a steps to eliminate them as a major contributing factors from easiest to most challenging:

1. Bad cable so, try another. They die over time, no big deal. Dirty charging port, so inspect it and carefully clean it if it looks dirty, start with a compressed air and then GENTLY use toothpick if it's really dirty. That's risky and requires a steady hand, so proceed on your own risk. Don't get any liquids in the mix if your battery is not disconnected and don't use steel tools while cleaning;
  2. Bad battery or bad charging controller. Worst case scenario, first was damaged by the second. We're definitely talking about service center visit here especially if the device is under warranty.

From your description it's hard to conclude what exactly are you dealing with, but pay attention that some outlets are incapable of charging devices like yours. From the specs of it, it looks like your tablet won't be charging over PC USB port, so that should not trigger any alarms. I ignored part about bad charger above but you probably eliminated it first, don't you?

I miss my Note 4. Loved the crispness of the screen, scribbling doodles, and having more control. Don't miss the bugs, lag and horrible battery life it had.

It's funny how your message is related to previous in my case. My Note 4 died because of bad charging port and was retired from use. I'm using Xiaomi Mi Max 2 as my primary phone and it's absolutely fantastic: 4 days battery life and 40% remaining with 6,5 hours of screen, constant wifi and 3 hours of talk time. 

GTA3Rockstar
  • GTA3Rockstar

--------------------

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Lifetime Achievement Award
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 3 days ago

Definitely isn't the usb charge kit, since I used another cable on another device.

I only had one cable for the Transformer, since it's a 36pin, but the tablet would still recognize there was one plugged in, since the screen would wake up when I either plug it in or unplug it.

So, I just ordered a new battery.

Kaniel Outis
  • Kaniel Outis

• Facade Corporation
  • India

Posted A day ago Edited by Kaniel Outis, A day ago.

Motorola seems to have brought back another X series device, the Moto X4. It's US exclusive for now and part of the Android One programme.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users