Contribution Award [Snapmatic Competition]
    Most Talented Graphics Artist 2015
    Most Improved Member 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Best Poster [Technology] 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]
    Helpfulness Award [GTA V]

Posted 04 April 2017 - 08:10 PM Edited by Android, 04 April 2017 - 08:12 PM.

I like using my phone (and the ones I've had in the past) without a case. Sure, if I had a case on my G2 years ago, it probably would've never broke.. never had an accident after that, either - but cases for a lot of Android phones suck. They either have bad quality or they have an ugly design. I have a hard time finding decent cases that don't have silly or unnecessary graphics.

For something like an S7 Edge, I would be anxious all the time using it without a case since the glass is exposed a lot (on both sides). Same with the newer S8. 

Raavi
  • Raavi

Mornings are for coffee and contemplation

• European-Union
  • Best Moderator 2016
    Best Moderator 2015
    Best Moderator 2014
    Winner of World Cup 2014 Prediction League
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 04 April 2017 - 11:32 PM

Didn't have a case for my Note 4, dropped it once and only have a minor scuff on it screen still in perfect condition. Unfortunately or fortunately depending on how you look at it, the design philosophy has since changed quite a bit. Now with a lot of new phones being glass even in the back, gorilla glass or not, I don't trust it for a second. Going nuclear right off the bat and ordering a solid case for the S8+. Was looking at UAG Plasma series for the Note 7, so probably will end up going with that. 

• Davve95 and Natasha like this

Mion
  • Mion

KD*

• Members
  • Olympics
  • Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 05 April 2017 - 07:17 AM

A simple clear gel case does it for me, I don't like bulky cases or those super flimsy plastic ones either.

Natasha
  • Natasha

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 April 2017 - 07:24 AM

Didn't have a case for my Note 4

I had the folding kinda case for my Note 4 when it was alive. Sadly I had a bad tendency to leave it laying in the open position and flinging it in my handbag, it cause a few broken screens doing that. Tend to be clumsy but I don't have a case on my existing phone cause well, the phone's cheaper to replace than the screen no doubt.

deadx23
  • deadx23

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States
  • Next DLC Thread Page 3000 Winner

Posted 05 April 2017 - 05:24 PM

I do want to get the live case on Google store and upload my characters pic but I'm not sure what pic I want I also have a cool space ship pic
Spoiler

I have noticed when I don't use a case my phone gets chewed up on the edges,my old Nexus 6 is still in excellent condition except for the female power adapter thingy (I tripped over it numerous times while plugged in) so it's a must for me even though it usually does look better with out one.my Nexus 4 is hammered all around.

Zombified Andy
  • Zombified Andy

2 decades taking up space on Earth!

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 05 April 2017 - 06:10 PM

I do want to get the live case on Google store and upload my characters pic

Well that's an interesting idea you've got there.

Unlike the 90's and 2000's ugly yet practical bricks, smartphones are quite fragile devices, and since design is a major aspect on them nowadays, it's consequently a big of an issue regarding aesthetics when they get damaged. I have the opinion it's better to keep your device on a case (and when you're at home where it's less likely to fall, or when you're going to play 3D games or other tasks that might heat it up, taking it off) than dropping it by accident or getting it scratched or bumped by regular use and having to deal with that.

Kaniel Outis
  • Kaniel Outis

• Facade Corporation
  • India
  • Helpfulness Award [WD&P Mega Topic]

Posted 06 April 2017 - 03:37 PM Edited by Arrow, 06 April 2017 - 03:38 PM.

I do want to get the live case on Google store and upload my characters pic but I'm not sure what pic I want I also have a cool space ship pic.
I have noticed when I don't use a case my phone gets chewed up on the edges,my old Nexus 6 is still in excellent condition except for the female power adapter thingy (I tripped over it numerous times while plugged in) so it's a must for me even though it usually does look better with out one.my Nexus 4 is hammered all around.

Why would you limit your case search to online? There are tons of stores offline that offer custom covers. EE offered the custom covers for free with HTC U and Pixel XL for a while. Not sure if they still do but you'd be better off getting one locally if you want a custom picture. I've always found rubber cases to be more protective over plastic cases though.
  • Natasha likes this

deadx23
  • deadx23

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 April 2017 - 06:21 PM

I do want to get the live case on Google store and upload my characters pic but I'm not sure what pic I want I also have a cool space ship pic.

Why would you limit your case search to online? There are tons of stores offline that offer custom covers. EE offered the custom covers for free with HTC U and Pixel XL for a while. Not sure if they still do but you'd be better off getting one locally if you want a custom picture. I've always found rubber cases to be more protective over plastic cases though.
wait,you mean my local stores? I looked through them and I wasn't satisfied with any of them I just liked that style I saw on Google store,I have a transparent cover (my phone is the white one) but I am used to paying less than $10 for a cover on Amazon :lol: but I am looking for a new one.

Has anyone have tried "Gangstar:new Orleans" game on play? It's like GTA style but for mobile, neat little game touch controls are way better than San Andreas for mobile.

 dice
  •  dice

Always rolling

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Best Server SAMP 2009

Posted 18 April 2017 - 08:37 AM Edited by  dice, 18 April 2017 - 08:41 AM.

I'm really dissapointed the power button on my Nexus 5 broke. The inner mechanism seems faulty which results in reboots like you're constantly holding the button down. It first happened about a month ago with no real answers on the internet other than taking it appart and try using compressed air to somehow fix it. Well I did that and managed to tear the radio wires whilest taking it appart. The problem stopped and I had to order new wires (they were only 2euros) if I wanted to receive phone signal.

I fixed that and fast forward to today the power button problem reappeared but was not fixable with compressed air so I reassemled the phone and just kept hitting the phone edge with the power button on a hard surface until it unjammed.

Its an amazing phone but this problem really bummed me out especially since I was planning on buying a new battery and have it for some years still. Im now in the process of either buying a new mobo and battery to fix this phone or just get a new phone altogether

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Never Settle

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 18 April 2017 - 09:47 AM

Did you remove the battery (it might be complicated to remove a non-removable one) before applying the compressed air? Compressed air is actually liquefied gas that might be conductive.

I wouldn't even have bothered to fix it. When mine breaks I'll get a new one I guess but I'll probably do that before it happens. I have a OPO which is probably about 3 years old at this point but it still works well (apart from some app crashes caused by Cyanogen). I might get a used S8+ at some point and put CyanogenMod on it.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Jo Näkyvi Pohjan Portit

• European-Union
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 18 April 2017 - 10:50 AM

I'm really dissapointed the power button on my Nexus 5 broke. The inner mechanism seems faulty which results in reboots like you're constantly holding the button down. It first happened about a month ago with no real answers on the internet other than taking it appart and try using compressed air to somehow fix it. Well I did that and managed to tear the radio wires whilest taking it appart. The problem stopped and I had to order new wires (they were only 2euros) if I wanted to receive phone signal.

I fixed that and fast forward to today the power button problem reappeared but was not fixable with compressed air so I reassemled the phone and just kept hitting the phone edge with the power button on a hard surface until it unjammed.

Its an amazing phone but this problem really bummed me out especially since I was planning on buying a new battery and have it for some years still. Im now in the process of either buying a new mobo and battery to fix this phone or just get a new phone altogether

Having taken my Nexus 5 apart about half a dozen times, this is an eminently fixable issue. Mine went away when I changed the screen and frame, I think it's probably an issue with the frame and button placement and angle rather than the mainboard.

deadx23
  • deadx23

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 April 2017 - 01:02 PM

S#it my son's phone (my old Nexus 5) is the same right now, I've taken it apart and wanted to replace the power button but to my surprise it is a solder on the motherboard.im just giving him a iPhone 6 I have I just have to fix the digitizer/LCD screen.
I'll have to take it apart and inspect it further thanks.

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Never Settle

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:40 PM

Build quality seems really good. Nice improvement on the AMOLED as well. Overall this phone sh*ts on the iPhone 7.

Davve95
  • Davve95

CJ - You wanna get back down so?

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:41 PM Edited by Davve95, 19 April 2017 - 10:42 PM.

I'm very impressed with the new battery in the S8. It won't explode even if you stab with a sharp object or destroying it someway. Which other phones with such a battery would do. So it can take sh*t easily.

I'd like to get a S8. Sadly my S7 is still pretty new and in a very good condition.

Both sadly and not haha.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Jo Näkyvi Pohjan Portit

• European-Union
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:26 AM

Does it still have TouchWhiz? Is it still full of Samsung branded bloatware? Are they still pushing Android updates three months after everyone else and only supporting phones for a year and a half? If the answer to any of these is "yes" Samsung can continue to f*ck off.
  • ΣΓ, 2281 and Vik like this

Zombified Andy
  • Zombified Andy

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 20 April 2017 - 12:13 PM

Yes combo x3

Interestingly enough, if you think about it Samsung has quite of a rivalry with Google, and keeps developing software for their smartphones to compete with Google's own services - there goes their TouchWiz launcher everyone hates but they insist on developing, all their bloatware and now even Bixby, their own AI.

I think in some way it's good Samsung keeps developing new stuff since they have the means to, after all having competition is what moves the industry forward. Too bad they force it down their users' throat though.
  • sivispacem likes this

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Never Settle

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:23 PM

Does it still have TouchWhiz? Is it still full of Samsung branded bloatware? Are they still pushing Android updates three months after everyone else and only supporting phones for a year and a half? If the answer to any of these is "yes" Samsung can continue to f*ck off.

I'm waiting for Cyanogen to release a ROM for it and then I'll consider getting one. Built quality and features are nice.

Zombified Andy
  • Zombified Andy

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:18 PM

Wasn't Cyanogenmod over?

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Never Settle

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:59 PM Edited by ΣΓ, 21 April 2017 - 08:59 PM.

Well, sh*t. I wasn't up to date with that. LineageOS (much dumber name IMO) looks about identical. Thank f*ck that they kept the Cyanogen file manager. I was ready to kill myself if they didn't at least keep that from the old ROM.

I knew something was up because I looked up the latest ROM for my OPO a while ago on the Cyanogen site and I got a server error or something. It looks like the new releases are just re-branded versions. Good thing it isn't completely dead.
  • Zombified Andy likes this

Kaniel Outis
  • Kaniel Outis

• Facade Corporation
  • India

Posted 27 April 2017 - 04:53 AM

Cyanogen has been LineageOS for over 3 months now. Legal issues I believe. The good thing is, almost all the supported devices are on LineageOS. Speaking of Samsung, they really need to drop TouchWiz in favor on stock android like they did with the Galaxy Nexus devices in the past. If that happens, they could attract some of the Motorola member base maybe.

Also, I'm disappointed with the Google Assistant. It's not as good as Siri. All it can do is point you towards external links. Since I'm using Stock ROM on my current device, Google Allo is the only app I can use the assistant on. I ordered a new Moto G5 last week. Still waiting for my delivery.

Android
  • Android

gas exists

• Facade Corporation
  • NATO
  • The Congressional Medal of sh*tposting
    Contribution Award [Snapmatic Competition]
    Most Talented Graphics Artist 2015
    Most Improved Member 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Best Poster [Technology] 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]
    Helpfulness Award [GTA V]

Posted 27 April 2017 - 08:37 PM

As much as people hate TouchWiz, their UI and software in general offers a lot of features out of the box. Compare that to boring Stock Android and having to root in order to even be able to customize much and have features that you can enjoy. There's a reason why Samsung sells so many of their flagship devices.

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Never Settle

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 28 April 2017 - 09:34 AM

Flashed Lineage OS today and I am pleased with it overall. It turns out that my previous ROM was flashed improperly hence the bugs. I don't experience bugs anymore currently but they did get rid of the Cyanogen file manager unfortunately.

Spoiler

Shaundi.
  • Shaundi.

シンス シティ

• Daily Globe
  • Unknown

Posted 28 April 2017 - 07:07 PM Edited by Shaundi., 28 April 2017 - 07:11 PM.

I'm not sure if this is the right thread to ask in but I'll ask anyway..

But first, some'splainin; the inbuilt music app of my Xperia Z3 is 37.9MB and data on the SD card is currently at 314MB after just deleting 7 songs totaling at 354MB when before it was 350MB total and 311MB of music. What I find absolutely puzzling is at the start of the year the app total was at 297MB and I haven't downloaded any songs from January 1 to now but I have been deleting songs I no longer have interest in listening to since then.

So the question is, why does the Music player app on the Xperia Z3 grow bigger and bigger in total size when deleting music?

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Never Settle

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 28 April 2017 - 07:46 PM

The details you've given are not helping. What exactly is increasing? The space occupied by the music app? Well, what kind of app is it? A streaming app or do you simply listen to MP3\audio files from your phone with that?

Apps increase in size over time with new updates. I assume that this is a built-in app that you can't uninstall and reinstall. Or perhaps clearing the cache might do something.

Kaniel Outis
  • Kaniel Outis

• Facade Corporation
  • India

Posted 19 June 2017 - 02:42 AM

The new Nokia phones were launched here earlier this week. The base model Nokia 3 (with a MTK Chipset) costs around $150. HMD Global is relying on the whole Nostalgia concept to thrive but in actual the phones are really good and come with Stock Android. The performance is fluid and I got a security patch update the very fast time I used the phone. I had a quick hands on with the device in a nearby market. I might upgrade to the handset after switching to a 4G based network.

Zombified Andy
  • Zombified Andy

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by Zombified Andy, 4 weeks ago.

@Arrow ever since I've heard that Nokia would ship with stock android and ensured regular updates (much thanks to using the OS stock, meaning they don't have to fill each build with their own crap like every other brand) that I'd like to get the entry level one.

EDIT: Fun thing, today I've considered getting either a Nokia 3 or 5. My not even one year-old J3 (in immaculate condition), while perfectly satisfying my needs, just pisses me off for still being stuck on Lollipop (we're talking about a 2016 device), and it's more and more unlikely I'll get any update anytime soon since they've already released a successor. I already knew this would happen considering my experience with Samsung phones but this was the best option back in the day and, as I said, hardware wise it's a great phone for its price.

Well, my young sister needs a new phone, yet she doesn't want to spend much, she doesn't need much power (she has a Nvidia Shield K1 tablet as I've mentioned before that she uses all the time so she only needs something for school and such) yet due to taxes these affordable devices keep their price stagnated - so, it was either buying another phone like mine or about the same level or a Chinese phone that, with my recommendation, she didn't want to.

Instead, she suggested that she could get mine and I could then buy for me a better one that not only she wouldn't make much use of but also she fears it would get stolen on her school. Family suggested the J7 but I refused because I'm done with their planned obsolescence, then I reminded about these Nokia phones that just happened to be released and I already appreciated the stock Android situation.

The more I search about them, the more I like. Very affordable, quality built and durable, plus Nokia's policies seem great. I'd initially go for the 3 because it has about the same specs of mine and scores higher on AnTuTu benchmark, but for slightly more I get a device with a killer processor, frequent updates, full metal body and fingerprint sensor (FYI something I don't really care about but it's a great thing at this price point). If anyone stayed with me this far, why not leaving your opinions? ("for another bit more you'd just get the 6" taxes make them more expensive around here so unfortunately that's not an option, I'm stretching it pretty much for the 5 already).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users