Google Android

2,631 replies to this topic
Kaniel Outis
  • Kaniel Outis

• Facade Corporation
  • India
  • Helpfulness Award [WD&P Mega Topic]

Posted 09 March 2017 - 01:22 PM

My sister's Nvidia Shield K1 already got it and yesterday she already had some fun playing arround with it. According to Google, most devices with Android 6 or 7, at least 1,5Gb of RAM and an HD screen at compatible with it, those who haven't received it yet should be just a matter of waiting.

Did it come with the recently mentioned "software upgrade 5.1"? I read about it a while back.

Crokey
  • Crokey

Builders Like Erections

• Belize
  • Best Official Gang 2016 [Zaibatsu]
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2016
    Worst Tits 2016
    Worst Tits 2015
    Worst Tits 2014
    Best Poster [Sports] 2016
    Best Poster [Sports] 2015
    Best Poster [Sports] 2014
    Last ever poster in a public area on the old forum
    Best Llama 2016
    14K Doggo/Catto-Chop Winner 2017

Posted 09 March 2017 - 10:16 PM

Must be a regional release thing, as I've got the Nvidia Shield K1, recently updated to 5.1 (Android 7.0), and I've not got Google Assistant yet.  I'm guessing it's going to be like Google's version of Siri or Cortana... basically an annoying thing that you just want to tell it to f*ck off?

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Goddess Of Light

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 09 March 2017 - 10:51 PM

Almost smashed my phone today...on purpose. Earlier today I was messaging a friend and I noticed that it's unbelievably difficult to type in any language other than English. That is hugely annoying but then TIDAL started to act all f*cky, or my phone, or Cyanogen, or something, and I nearly punched through the screen but I held back and gave it two hard slaps. Apparently you can do that thanks to Gorilla Glass. I hurt my hand a bit. Touch screen phones are definitely way more annoying than older phones. I've never felt the urge to smash a phone quite like this before.

Anyway. I should probably start meditating again.

Kaniel Outis
  • Kaniel Outis

• Facade Corporation
  • India

Posted 11 March 2017 - 08:33 AM

Must be a regional release thing, as I've got the Nvidia Shield K1, recently updated to 5.1 (Android 7.0), and I've not got Google Assistant yet.  I'm guessing it's going to be like Google's version of Siri or Cortana... basically an annoying thing that you just want to tell it to f*ck off?

Yes, it's regional. US release before the rest of the world as usual. It's done through a Google Play Services update. I'd say it's better than Cortana(which lacks a ton of features & not interactive).

Shaytan
  • Shaytan

"It can't be that difficult"

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 11 March 2017 - 11:39 AM

For months a microphone issue has been haunting me, and after I tried a ton of things I think it's time to seek for help.

Problem: on phone calls, people use to complain about very poor audio quality from my side, being choppy and distorted. This is not a persistent problem as it's usually working fine and then the problem happens.

What I've already tried:
  • Testing the mic on a recording. It's working perfectly, no hardware issues or obstructions.
  • Uninstalled apps I had installed by about when the problem began happening.
  • Booted into safe mode.
  • Tried to use an headphone unit.
  • Turned on and off the Bluetooth (some said it could be a glitch cause).
  • Deleted the cache partition - this worked the first time and it was fine for a month or so, but I've tried to do this again with no luck now.
Basically, I've tried every single solution I've seen online, except doing a factory reset. It's a bit of an ache to do it and I don't really want to unless it's really the only option left, as on most forums I've read people with similar issues always pointed it didn't solved. Finally, should I send it to warranty? Since the mic is working fine I'm not sure if it's hardware caused.

Phone: Samsung J3, Android 5.1

Kaniel Outis
  • Kaniel Outis

• Facade Corporation
  • India

Posted 12 March 2017 - 11:04 AM Edited by Arrow, 12 March 2017 - 11:08 AM.

AFAIK, Software/OS never has anything to do with physical issues like audio, unless it's a sh*tty ROM and buggy AF. If your device is under warranty, it might be a good idea to get it checked at the nearest customer outlet. Hopefully they'll rectify the issue for you.
  • Shaytan likes this

Shaytan
  • Shaytan

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:34 PM

The issue seems to no longer happen, so I guess it was just the cache causing errors once more. Thanks a lot for your help anthough I don't entirely agree with you, as my search concluded this problem isn't that rare to happen and it's usually a software bug like in my case.

I used a VPN server to trick Google Playstore and finally try out Cortana. I'm actually amazed by it, I never appreciated it's PC counterpart but the mobile version is really good and intuitive (a lot better than Now/Assistant imo). I'll stick with it for a while, I'm quite enjoying it and such a shame Microsoft doesn't make it avaliable worldwide.

Android
  • Android

Popsicle

• Facade Corporation
  • NATO
  • The Congressional Medal of sh*tposting
    Contribution Award [Snapmatic Competition]
    Most Talented Graphics Artist 2015
    Most Improved Member 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Best Poster [Technology] 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]
    Helpfulness Award [GTA V]

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:14 PM Edited by Android, 21 March 2017 - 09:14 PM.

"O-MG, the Developer Preview of Android O is here!"

"Android O Features and APIs"

bring it on fam

I'm still betting on Oreo for the name.

Or maybe they'll change ann of the menu colors to Orange and name it that.

Kaniel Outis
  • Kaniel Outis

• Facade Corporation
  • India

Posted 27 March 2017 - 04:47 PM

I'm sure that Oreo will be the name. Android orange sounds a bit too lame. Too bad that non-Nexus devices don't get the Android O preview.

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Goddess Of Light

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 27 March 2017 - 08:48 PM

Or better yet ditch this naming strategy altogether. It's kinda goofy. They could come up with some cooler names instead.

Shaytan
  • Shaytan

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 27 March 2017 - 10:57 PM

Let's come up with better suggestions, such as... Android Orgasm?

Ok, I won't steal Youtube comments' jokes anymore *runs away*

Kaniel Outis
  • Kaniel Outis

• Facade Corporation
  • India

Posted 28 March 2017 - 12:14 PM

Or better yet ditch this naming strategy altogether. It's kinda goofy. They could come up with some cooler names instead.

I like to think of the team members are ever hungry people from the naming technique itself. Most of them have a sweet tooth it seems.
  • Natasha likes this

Natasha
  • Natasha

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 28 March 2017 - 12:43 PM

I like to think of the team members are ever hungry people from the naming technique itself. Most of them have a sweet tooth it seems.

I've never understood it, people always ask what version I've got, now if it was numbers I'd find it easy, but codenames etc, I just plain forget which version is which. I don't even know anymore in truth.

ΣΓ
  • ΣΓ

Goddess Of Light

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • European-Union

Posted 28 March 2017 - 08:53 PM Edited by ΣΓ, 28 March 2017 - 08:53 PM.

It's simple. Android Nougat is version 7 because "N" is the seventh letter in the alphabet. Oh, wait, it's actually not.

I meant ditch the whole thing, including the alphabetical order of the names. Or just stick to numbers. I never hear people even use these stupid names anyway. The only time I hear\see them mentioned is in news articles.

~Tiger~
  • ~Tiger~

• Zaibatsu
  • None
  • Best Ledby 2015
    Best Ledby 2014
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 28 March 2017 - 09:02 PM

Ok, well I've just ordered a Google Pixel (not the XL, I'm not made of cash). At £470 it was a reasonable price deal for the device and I hope it's money well spent....

Shaytan
  • Shaytan

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 28 March 2017 - 10:19 PM

It's simple. Android Nougat is version 7 because "N" is the seventh letter in the alphabet. Oh, wait, it's actually not.

I meant ditch the whole thing, including the alphabetical order of the names. Or just stick to numbers. I never hear people even use these stupid names anyway. The only time I hear\see them mentioned is in news articles.

Until Android 5, it was usual different updated versions of the same build had different names (such as Android 4 - 4.3 being Jellybean; and then 4.4 being KitKat), so that's why the alphabetical numeration doesn't match the actual version numbers.

About my joke... Just my peculiar sense of humor at it's finest :p Never take those seriously, when I intend to say something serious I always do so in the appropriate manner. But well, I think by now it's almost a trademark of Android, and something to make it different. Ubuntu has already been naming it's versions alphabetically (btw the "Z" comes with the build 17.04 next month, just so you know). I don't think it's that big of deal, but I see your point it might not be a "serious" naming approach.

Kaniel Outis
  • Kaniel Outis

• Facade Corporation
  • India

Posted 29 March 2017 - 08:00 AM

Ok, well I've just ordered a Google Pixel (not the XL, I'm not made of cash). At £470 it was a reasonable price deal for the device and I hope it's money well spent....

Wise choice. The Pixel is a decent performer and has a great camera. If you were looking at something even cheaper, One Plus 3T would have been the phone to go for. It's power packed and has an active community of developers.

Natasha
  • Natasha

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 29 March 2017 - 10:36 AM

I don't beleive I've never noticed that each release was the next alphabetic letter. How long has this been news? (since conception I presume). I'm having to move to a cheap sh*tty Alcatel today cause my Galaxy has bit the dust (I drove over it by accident xD)

Kaniel Outis
  • Kaniel Outis

• Facade Corporation
  • India

Posted 29 March 2017 - 01:03 PM

I don't beleive I've never noticed that each release was the next alphabetic letter. How long has this been news? (since conception I presume). I'm having to move to a cheap sh*tty Alcatel today cause my Galaxy has bit the dust (I drove over it by accident xD)

Get a Motorola device maybe. You'll get stock android which is better than some customized UI.

Natasha
  • Natasha

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 29 March 2017 - 01:07 PM

Get a Motorola device maybe. You'll get stock android which is better than some customized UI.

I was literally after the cheapest handset I could find cause I'm thinking of getting either the Pixl or an iPhone on contract again. Then I can use the cheap phone for clients (work).

Raavi
  • Raavi

Mornings are for coffee and contemplation

• Administrator
  • European-Union
  • Best Moderator 2016
    Best Moderator 2015
    Best Moderator 2014
    Winner of World Cup 2014 Prediction League
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 29 March 2017 - 03:28 PM

To buy the S8+ or wait for the Note 8?

Decisions, decisions.. 

Android
  • Android

Popsicle

• Facade Corporation
  • NATO
  • The Congressional Medal of sh*tposting
    Most Talented Graphics Artist 2015
    Most Improved Member 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Best Poster [Technology] 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]

Posted 29 March 2017 - 03:31 PM Edited by Android, 29 March 2017 - 03:34 PM.

I feel a bit iffy about the S8 being so large. I remember when Google launched the Nexus 6 and everybody complained because it was such a large leap. 5.1 to 5.8 inches isn't that crazy but it will still make a noticeable difference. Looks amazing, though. Since I don't use my Note 4's stylus much, I would probably go for the S8 instead of waiting for the new Note

Although if you want an even larger screen, then wait for the Note.. I hear the rumor is 6.4 inches :O

Natasha
  • Natasha

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 29 March 2017 - 03:32 PM

To buy the S8+ or wait for the Note 8?

Decisions, decisions.. 

You do know the Note 8 will catch fire and all that.  I'd go for the S8.  Although it's already a phablet, I fail to see how the Note could be any bigger without being branded a tablet.

Raavi
  • Raavi

• Administrator
  • European-Union
  • Best Moderator 2016
    Best Moderator 2015
    Best Moderator 2014
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 29 March 2017 - 04:00 PM

I feel a bit iffy about the S8 being so large. I remember when Google launched the Nexus 6 and everybody complained because it was such a large leap. 5.1 to 5.8 inches isn't that crazy but it will still make a noticeable difference. Looks amazing, though. Since I don't use my Note 4's stylus much, I would probably go for the S8 instead of waiting for the new Note

Although if you want an even larger screen, then wait for the Note.. I hear the rumor is 6.4 inches  :O

I actually do like the bigger phones, they fit nicely in my hand, and I enjoy not having to peer at the screen eyes squinched just to be able to read my emails. That said, I do think there's such a thing as "too big" - if the rumors are true and the new Note has a 6.4' screen that might just push it for me. My Note 4 at just over 6' (5.7' screen) really hit the sweet spot, some trickery with besel dimensions notwithstanding I can't imagine a 6.4 inch+ phone being all that comfortable to hold. 

You do know the Note 8 will catch fire and all that.  I'd go for the S8.  Although it's already a phablet, I fail to see how the Note could be any bigger without being branded a tablet.

The emphasis they put on safety in their presentation gives me good hope that they learned from the Note 7 disaster. 

Wonderbro
  • Wonderbro

Formerly Ats.

• Members
  • Estonia

Posted 29 March 2017 - 10:34 PM

Can't see the reasoning behind making the S8 even bigger. I'm pretty sure the size of S7 is pretty much the sweet spot for most people.

Raavi
  • Raavi

• Administrator
  • European-Union
  • Best Moderator 2016
    Best Moderator 2015
    Best Moderator 2014
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 29 March 2017 - 11:11 PM

It's 1.5 mm wider, and about 6.5 mm taller, so I doubt you'll experience too much difference in day to day use.

Phone dimensions for reference:

S8: 148.9 x 68.1 x 8 mm

S7: 142.4 x 69.6 x 7.9 mm

Note 4: 153.5 x 78.6 x 8.5 mm

Kaniel Outis
  • Kaniel Outis

• Facade Corporation
  • India

Posted 30 March 2017 - 01:27 AM

Samsung has made their own hands-on video for S8 and S8+. The other things that were unveiled each have their own hands-on videos too - accessories like the DeX dock and Gear VR, but also new standalone products such as the new Gear 360 and the Connect Home mesh router which lets you control IoT devices from your phone through an app.

Girish
  • Girish

LFM

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 30 March 2017 - 05:47 AM

Is the 3000 mah battery going to be enough though for a phone of such size? I've been hearing a lot about how the new 10nm processor is going to be more power efficient but that's something that we hear with the release of every new processor. I really think they should have put in a larger battery.

• Kaniel Outis and Natasha like this

Retarded Bitch
  • Retarded Bitch

KD*

• Members
  • Olympics
  • Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 30 March 2017 - 06:24 AM

I'm waiting for the iPhone 7s to make a decision on what to get, I love the S8 though.

Natasha
  • Natasha

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 30 March 2017 - 07:21 AM

I'm waiting for the iPhone 7s to make a decision on what to get, I love the S8 though.

I'm more so feeling the iPhone in truth.  I genuinely think the S8 is more of a tablet from the sizes I've heard, kinda alienating as I don't really have big enough hands so it means everything from browsing to texting becomes a 2 handed fiasco.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users